• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Getting pretty tired of waiting for the Lollipop update for the 2013 Moto G. I wish Motorola would at least give a rough time schedule. So many people like me are on the fence about whether to just flash the GPE rom like Noema.

Guess I'll give it another week.

Yep same here. I'm on the original Moto X though. I want my lollipop!

Has anyone had Gmail troubles since updating to Lollipop? I have a Nexus 5 on the latest version and 9/10 times I open Gmail from the widget on my home screen, it freezes and doesn't load. I have to either keep closing it and trying again until eventually it does work, or turn the phone off then on again. Really annoying, it worked fine on Kit Kat.

brau

My nexus 7 just updated to 5.0.2 and it runs great.

Bonza is back up so i figure they resolved the whole Adobe Air not working.

Everything is smooth and working pretty great so far.

Woots!

Its pretty weird how not everyone gets the update right away. Is there a reason for this?

My nexus 7 just updated to 5.0.2 and it runs great.

Bonza is back up so i figure they resolved the whole Adobe Air not working.

Everything is smooth and working pretty great so far.

Woots!

Its pretty weird how not everyone gets the update right away. Is there a reason for this?

Staged rollout where bugs are found so the rollout stops and starts.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well, just got my OTA to L on my 2012 Nexus 7. Seems pretty cool so far. Big UI changes. Performance seems fairly similar so far. I ran "Crossy Road" on the exact same time on my N7 and my G1 Moto G and my Moto G opened it up just a smidge faster.

I know the comparison is totally nonsensical and is like comparing apples to otters, but there you go.

Horseticuffs

Moto G1 is getting the soak test already. It's coming in the next few days guys!

I'm very interested to see how it runs on the G1. Overall I'm pleased with my N7 2012 performance so far. My G on Kitkat has been a bit sluggish due to the lack of RAM, though. I hear Lollipop helps systems with less RAM to feel smoother. I can't really tell on my N7, that's always seemed pretty smooth to me.

My Nexus 7 (2012) updated tonight. I love Lollipop so far, but my Nexus is running a bit sluggish.

I really wish I'd done some benchmarks or something beforehand. It REALLY seems like Shadowrun Returns is loading much faster now.

So last night, I got a Nexus 6 which comes with Android 5.0 (and immediately got updated to 5.1).

I have to say, I'm loving the way it looks and runs so far - the OS, not the phone (which is also wonderful). It's got such a clean and flat(?) look - especially the pull-down notification tab. Really nice work.

alatif113

Looks like Google Play Services has been updated to match the look and feel of lollipop (w/o material design) for devices that still haven't received the lollipop update (my Nexus 5).

App drawer along with its icon now have a white background. Search bar is now white instead of clear. Google Now has a flatter design.

Looks like Google Play Services has been updated to match the look and feel of lollipop (w/o material design) for devices that still haven't received the lollipop update (my Nexus 5).

App drawer along with its icon now have a white background. Search bar is now white instead of clear. Google Now has a flatter design.

I realized that too. The Google Play Music Player's had that same makeover, as has YouTube's app.

Horseticuffs

I wouldn't mind a factory reset on my 2012 N7, but I don't want to lose my shadowrun save file. Is it in the cloud? Anyone know?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind a factory reset on my 2012 N7, but I don't want to lose my shadowrun save file. Is it in the cloud? Anyone know?

No idea, but check places like Android/data on the internal storage. Often you can just grab saves from there and put them back in the same place once you've reinstalled the game.

Horseticuffs

No idea, but check places like Android/data on the internal storage. Often you can just grab saves from there and put them back in the same place once you've reinstalled the game.

Yeah, eventually I just manually transferred it. Worked like a charm, though! N7 runs very nice now, seemingly.

Any news on a 5.0 update for the galaxy s4?

Samsung has said little about the S4 update. It's frustrating; I'd expect more from Android's best selling manufacturer.

My experience with Lollipop on my N7 had been amazing so far. It's gorgeous. Manufacturers who skin Android are doing themselves a disservice.

Goodlife

My wife's nexus 5 was running 5.0 happily, then she smashed the screen and it got sent away for repair, they wiped it for some reason and now I've set it back up it's saying it's up to date running 4.4.4 :(

eso76

Nexus 7 2012 Just updated to 5.02 and it's currently performing like shit.

: \

I had no interest in upgrading until recently, battery life (and charge time especially) were the only minor issues i had with it, everything else was smooth enough for my needs. Now though...I hope it's because it's still downloading and optimizing stuff in the background

Ramza

Banned

: \

I had no interest in upgrading until recently, battery life (and charge time especially) were the only minor issues i had with it, everything else was smooth enough for my needs. Now though...I hope it's because it's still downloading and optimizing stuff in the background

The 2012 Nexus 7 had i/o issues already, so the forced encryption probably made that worse. Look into decrypting your device for better performance.

:

The 5.0.2 update worked great with my N7 2012. Felt much better than 5.0.

I also factory reset a few weeks ago after 5.0.2, and it feels much better than KitKat.

KarmaCow

Does anyone know why the trusted places option under smart lock would turn itself off randomly? I though it was the face recognition option overwriting it but even with that off it seems like every other day when I wake up, I have to re-enable it.

emb

Still waiting for my Nexus 7 2013 to update. Still on kitkat
That's what I have too, clicked on the thread wondering if the update was out or not. Sounds like no then.

I don't really want to use it for any particular purpose, but I'm still curious to try the updated version.

LQX

My original Nexus 7 finally got pushed the Lollipop update. Took long enough. I'm in NY if that matters. So far, so good. Looks good.

Top Bottom