• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
People i know with GSI/II like the (iphone)like home button to wake up their phone. Some ppl won't be happy if they remove it.

The power button works just as well. It takes a bit to get used to feeling the side of the phone instead but they'll get used to it. Alternatively, Nokia sometimes uses a clever trick where double tapping on their amoled screens wakes up the phone. Either way, it's really not a big deal imo

Donos

The power button works just as well. It takes a bit to get used to feeling the side of the phone instead but they'll get used to it. Alternatively, Nokia sometimes uses a clever trick where double tapping on their amoled screens wakes up the phone. Either way, it's really not a big deal imo

It's not a deal for me but the iphone/galaxy homebutton left a big impact on all them and everytime ppl try my Desire HD they try to unlock the phone pressing at the capacitive buttons.
You can wake up most of the bigger MP3 players (and of course iPod) with buttons at the front/bottom side, so it's really more common. I also prefer the wake up button at the side instead on top of the phone (like most htc's -_-).

Cipherr

A dummy box of the GS3 leaked...1.4ghz quad core, 4.6" screen, 1gb RAM, 8MP camera, no physical buttons like the Galaxy Nexus, microSD card slot

I really hope there's no SD card.

obamamug.png

Haters gonna hate :D

A dummy box of the GS3 leaked...1.4ghz quad core, 4.6" screen, 1gb RAM, 8MP camera, no physical buttons like the Galaxy Nexus, microSD card slot, 1184 x 720 resolution (320 DPI), 2050 mah battery

Looks like I know what my next phone will be.

If you wanna take a look at the video: http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/20/galaxy-s-iii-leak/

looks like Samsung is sticking with switching the multitask and back buttons too...

tino

Banned
Well since the leak is out there is no fun to guess the spec. I was going to guess 4.7" screen and 1800 battery. Everything else is like I estimated. Kudos to Samsung for putting a huge battery in it.

It's a no brainer it has better spec than One X. Fuck the SD slot and replacement battery haters. I don't care about the square shape. It's too much like the SGS2.

Oh, my prediction: The US version will use Snapdragon S4. In fact, every fucking high end US Android phone coming out this year, including the Motorola one will use Snapdragon S4. And all new WP phones will all use Snapdragon S4.

Zeppu

A dummy box of the GS3 leaked...1.4ghz quad core, 4.6" screen, 1gb RAM, 8MP camera, no physical buttons like the Galaxy Nexus, microSD card slot, 1184 x 720 resolution (320 DPI), 2050 mah battery

Looks like I know what my next phone will be.

If you wanna take a look at the video: http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/20/galaxy-s-iii-leak/

rVtRx.png

Engadget really don't do any homework. Just because they're reserved for the software buttons doesn't mean the screen isn't 1280x720.

Cipherr

If you saw the video on Engadget TouchWiz looks...like Touchwiz

Less orange. But its a little early to call on TW atm, we need reviewers to get a hold on it. HTC did pretty damn good with Sense 4. No idea why they changed the MT pane the way they did, but everything else looks good. Hopefully Samsung responds in kind.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Less orange. But its a little early to call on TW atm, we need reviewers to get a hold on it. HTC did pretty damn good with Sense 4. No idea why they changed the MT pane the way they did, but everything else looks good. Hopefully Samsung responds in kind.

Yeah, I held back from making a full judgement. But it does look less day-glo, which is good in my opinion. Hopefully they add tons of small details like Sense 4.

Donos

specs like expected. don't care if it scores some points less or more in benchmarks. I just want it smooth.

++ micro sd
+ replaceable big battery (not so important anymore since i survived with 1200mah and also have Just mobile Gum Pro battery pack for travels)

- same square look of GSII/GSI -_- (kudos to sony and nokia for keeping different designs alive)
- no physical homebutton anymore, at least they got rid of the rest of the buttons.
-- touchwiz looks .... yeah like before. (there was a rumour that you could switch to vanilla ICS but i still highly doubt it)

not clear: build quality and camera (hard and software performance)

Well nothing unexpected and besides mSD and battery nothing that stomps the competition.
Prices for all high end phones will fall and that's what i'm looking forward most.

giga

uemwk.png

SMDK4x12. Basically confirms the Exynos 4412, which the Meizu is also using. Odd that no one has gotten an A15 out yet.

On a related note to this, at what point will we hit that "They're both more than capable" stage?

I mean, I'm all for more power, but if it doesn't give me any legitimate appreciable gains in usability, and only detracts from battery life, that doesn't help much. I mean, my Note with stock ICS runs fantastically with it's dual-core 1.4 Exynos. Would quad-core or 2.0ghz dual-core REALLY improve things that much? I tend to think not, but who knows.

I guess that doesn't sell hardware, though, huh? Gotta have those bigger and better bullet points on the spec sheet.
Mobile operating systems are nimble enough these days to get by, but I still want better processing power because we still don't get instantaneous results for certain tasks.

Photo editing is very CPU intensive. I think tablets should eventually become very popular for photo editing because they don't really require the precision of a mouse or stylus, but the options photographers have today are really limited. My MBP's Core i5 already gets maxed out when editing raw files. Today's Cortex A9s can't even handle editing large jpegs without getting maxed out. The "auto enhance" button on my 4S takes actually takes about 2 seconds to finish, when it really should be instantaneous.

Web browsing performance is another area where mobile devices are limited by their processors. Loading pages and executing JS is slower on my iPad than it is on my MBP--especially on heavy sites like The Verge. Things get even more limited when you're concurrently loading multiple pages in different tabs.

Video editing is also getting popular and it's almost entirely CPU bound. I don't do much of that though so I can't share any experiences.

So while I agree that performance is sufficient for many use cases, there are still several areas that aren't there yet.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Seems like a legit leak, but that's obviously not the final physical design and the specs are mostly what the well educated guesses were saying.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Hopefully, Exynos 4412 winds up in the next Galaxy Note..using the S-Pen app shows where improvements can be made.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was very excited for stylus support. Doesn't look like it's coming.

gcubed

Well since the leak is out there is no fun to guess the spec. I was going to guess 4.7" screen and 1800 battery. Everything else is like I estimated. Kudos to Samsung for putting a huge battery in it.

It's a no brainer it has better spec than One X. Fuck the SD slot and replacement battery haters. I don't care about the square shape. It's too much like the SGS2.

Oh, my prediction: The US version will use Snapdragon S4. In fact, every fucking high end US Android phone coming out this year, including the Motorola one will use Snapdragon S4. And all new WP phones will all use Snapdragon S4.

it has the 4412 in it, glad i didn't make that bet :)

The only reason people are using the S4 over the tegra3 in the US is because of nvidia's inability, or idiocy, of not getting an LTE radio on it. The meizu using the 4412 has LTE in it, so i dont expect the S4 to make an appearance on this phone

giga

it has the 4412 in it, glad i didn't make that bet :)

The only reason people are using the S4 over the tegra3 in the US is because of nvidia's inability, or idiocy, of not getting an LTE radio on it. The meizu using the 4412 has LTE in it, so i don't expect the S4 to make an appearance on this phone
Does it?

gcubed

guess not, my googlefu let me down. Although i should have just went to meizu's site... looking all over the internet rumors and random samsung manager points to built in LTE.

it looks like an awesome phone though (the Meizu MX)

Circle T

Mobile operating systems are nimble enough these days to get by, but I still want better processing power because we still don't get instantaneous results for certain tasks.

Photo editing is very CPU intensive. I think tablets should eventually become very popular for photo editing because they don't really require the precision of a mouse or stylus, but the options photographers have today are really limited. My MBP's Core i5 already gets maxed out when editing raw files. Today's Cortex A9s can't even handle editing large jpegs without getting maxed out. The "auto enhance" button on my 4S takes actually takes about 2 seconds to finish, when it really should be instantaneous.

Web browsing performance is another area where mobile devices are limited by their processors. Loading pages and executing JS is slower on my iPad than it is on my MBP--especially on heavy sites like The Verge. Things get even more limited when you're concurrently loading multiple pages in different tabs.

Video editing is also getting popular and it's almost entirely CPU bound. I don't do much of that though so I can't share any experiences.

So while I agree that performance is sufficient for many use cases, there are still several areas that aren't there yet.

I guess it is just my lack of those uses that makes me feel like I do. I mean, I'm all for tablets getting much more powerful SoCs, as they can do much more than a phone. Like you, I notice some slowdown on my New iPad™, even with all of its power. Editing video, touching up pictures, opening lots of tabs, etc. Those scenarios are much more likely for me on a tablet, so I welcome the huge power improvements there.

On a phone, though, personally, I don't do any of that stuff. Like I said earlier, some little speed improvements here and there would certainly be welcome. I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of needing to throw huge processing power to get it. I would much rather have a bit longer battery life on my phone than for my panoramic pictures to render 2 seconds faster.

I did :) I'd be paying maybe twice as much per month for the S3, and I got the phone for free which would be doubtful with the S3.

Those specs are good, but not worth that much extra per month to me.

gcubed

Hmmm... shall I sell my One X and put my chips into the s3. Based on those specs how much better is it?

no need. If thats what the actual phone looks like at least you get a decent looking phone out of it, and you aren't going to notice the chipset change unless you constantly stare at benchmarks

panda21

- same square look of GSII/GSI -_- (kudos to sony and nokia for keeping different designs alive)

do we know that for sure? i thought it was supposed to just be in a dummy case? i don't think you can really tell from this. i'm hoping for something colourful.

Donos

The comment section of the GSIII review on engadget will reach youtube comments level. htc vs samsung fanboys with iPhone-fans "lulz android" drive by's.

Btw got the impression that it got a little silent around android tablets or did i miss a few pages?

rozay

Banned
Still the Mali 400? Hopefully it's clocked a little faster, though it's a good GPU regardless.

edit: touchwiz looks kinda gross

Donos

do we know that for sure? i thought it was supposed to just be in a dummy case? i don't think you can really tell from this. i'm hoping for something colourful.

I don't think the form factor (square barren) design will change at all since the inner life has to be almost final. I guess final appearance of the shell will change (rumored material is ceramic/metall).

If they round the corners more it would be to close to the Nexus/htc phones.

Would be happy if i'm wrong.

panda21

I don't think the form factor (square barren) design will change at all since the inner life has to be almost final. I guess final appearance of the shell will change (rumored material is ceramic/metall).

If they round the corners more it would be to close to the Nexus/htc phones.

Would be happy if i'm wrong.

what other kind of shape could it be though? i don't see how it couldn't be shaped like a lumia or something, the nokia/sony designs arent that different

MarkusRJR

So I bought a Rogers Lumia 900, unlocked it, and then my friend offered to buy it for $50 more than I'd spent on it. I obviously sold it to her, and now they've been constantly sold out for a week and a half. FML. I have no phone so I need one ASAP.

Looking at Rogers' selection, my alternatives are the Sony Experia S ($500) and the HTC One X ($625). I'm looking for whichever one has less problems (defects mainly, as I'll lose the ability to return once I've unlocked it) and is easier to unlock. Unless I can find another Lumia 900 I'm gonna get one of these two.

Both look absolutely awesome, but I don't know much (aka nothing) about android. I keep reading about warping problems or something on the One X. I'm not sure how if that's bad or not but I'd kinda like to know what that's about. I also kinda wanna get rid of the Rogers bloatware on whichever device I choose, as I'm using the device on a different carrier. Is that possible?

gcubed

So I bought a Rogers Lumia 900, unlocked it, and then my friend offered to buy it for $50 more than I'd spent on it. I obviously sold it to her, and now they've been constantly sold out for a week and a half. FML. I have no phone so I need one ASAP.

Looking at Rogers' selection, my alternatives are the Sony Experia S ($500) and the HTC One X ($625). I'm looking for whichever one has less problems (defects mainly, as I'll lose the ability to return once I've unlocked it) and is easier to unlock. Unless I can find another Lumia 900 I'm gonna get one of these two.

Both look absolutely awesome, but I don't know much (aka nothing) about android. I keep reading about warping problems or something on the One X. I'm not sure how if that's bad or not but I'd kinda like to know what that's about. I also kinda wanna get rid of the Rogers bloatware on whichever device I choose, as I'm using the device on a different carrier. Is that possible?

If the carrier doesnt let you uninstall it ICS lets you deactivate it, so it can't run or show anywhere on your system. I dont know too much about the Sony, but you can't really go wrong with the One X... beautiful screen, good processor, and its HTC so it'll be easy to unlock and run ROMs

gcubed said:
its not an A15

I was talking about the One X.

The comment section of the GSIII review on engadget will reach youtube comments level. htc vs samsung fanboys with iPhone-fans "lulz android" drive by's.

Btw got the impression that it got a little silent around android tablets or did i miss a few pages?
There is so little to talk about...get yourself a transformer and call it a day. If that's too big wait for their 7inch nexus tab and call it a day...

I think I will hop on the transformer pad infinity.

There's just not much competition for asus (in the tablet market) except their own products competing against themselves.

Besides once Windows 8 ends up on tablets with touch versions of office...this whole android tablet biz could hit a wall...wait and see time right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom