• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

What are you babbling about?
The phone occupies the same volume of the Galaxy S7 which has the same battery size and everyone was ok with it... heck the S8 which is bigger in size has the same 3000mah battery... The price is the standard for flagship products and uses even more premium materials than anybody else.
If they use the 60ghz thing for wireless charging it has already been said that it's going open source so not proprietary, headphone jack is the obvious step forward to save space inside the phone... the only right thing to lament is no waterproofing but for all the others it's the opposite of "poor use of space" or bad.
How about you research stuff before spouting rage?

It's not wireless charging. It's a dock and they call it that. It uses the accessory pins no one else uses and I don't care if they "open source" it, because it doesn't matter if literally no one else uses it. It is proprietary, like it or not.

Mindwipe

If you see the Recode interview you will understand why the Essential is essentially (heh words are funny) the only true alternative to the Pixel if you are on the Android side of things.

The company's ethos is to not have any bloatware on their phones, in general let the user decide what they want in their devices and to opensource every new advancement hardware and software they are going to implement.
I liked that Rubin talked about potentially putting low yields innovations in their phones at least for the first years.
This is the best thing to happen to Android since Google decided to get serious with the phone situation, it's a response to all the complains people on the internet make.

Godspeed Rubin, best of luck with this thing.

But the issue is that Android isn't an OS that permits people to "decide what they want on their devices" unless you want root, and root is going to start breaking more and more stuff. The OS isn't designed to let users design about all sorts of things, which is why OEMs include other features.

Also lol at the people who are just assuming that a third party OEM is just going to magically be able to do long term and fast Android version updates. Qualcomm would have words with thee.

Quasar

Also lol at the people who are just assuming that a third party OEM is just going to magically be able to do long term and fast Android version updates. Qualcomm would have words with thee.

Well Samsung could. Just use their own chips.

That said I think others could if they paid Qualcomm enough.

yagal

Wonder how LG feels. They led with the minimum bezel phone for the West but within a few months, g6 looks years behind the competition and carriers are pretty much giving them away for free.

LG are stupid, releasing few days before the S8 and features fragmentation was stupid

Anyway I think that the smartphone market is Apple + Samsung + poor and geeks with chinese phone

Hasney

AnS0Irl.png

fuck it. Lets go boys. (no real commitment, dont need to put a cc down or anything).

You see this is what happens when oneplus just teases their shit and not just show it off. No way its gonna look as good as this, and with rumors saying its gonna get up to $600+, not really gonna be that much of a value buy either.

oh right you can pick up the blackberry tomorrow on amazon and best buy

tenor.gif

Jeffrey

It's not wireless charging. It's a dock and they call it that. It uses the accessory pins no one else uses and I don't care if they "open source" it, because it doesn't matter if literally no one else uses it. It is proprietary, like it or not.

At least it should charge quicker than qi charging, maybe?

Guess we will have to see the docs.

Who the essential is for?

From what I can tell, tech nerds like me that make a decent wage. Good word to mouth could lead to mid range devices? I have no clue how they are planning on growing lol.

It's basically oneplus approach but $700 phone instead of $300.

At least it should charge quicker than qi charging, maybe?

Guess we will have to see the docs.

I'm sure that, on a technical level, it can charge faster than Qi. But I don't see how it's really a benefit over it. For example, the Galaxy S6 and forward both support Qi and PMA charging, fast charging over Qi and conventional fast charging over USB. This allows you to use wireless charging for the convenience factor and charge your phone quickly over a short period of time, if you need to. You can still plug in a USB cable that's attached to any regular quick-charger any time. Again, no need for yet another manufacturer-specific charging solution.

LeleSocho

Banned
If they are going to open source it it is by definition not proprietary.
Whatever it is going to catch up with the industry or not is a whole another issue.

But the issue is that Android isn't an OS that permits people to "decide what they want on their devices" unless you want root, and root is going to start breaking more and more stuff. The OS isn't designed to let users design about all sorts of things, which is why OEMs include other features.

I'm (and I assume they are too) primarily talking about the looks and the services built in it, a phone that looks like stock android and that doesn't shove you assistants, shady alternative app stores, bunch of app that you'll never use etc. etc.

There are some OEMs that actually do a good job about keeping their stuff up to date be it security updates or new android versions i think if a company seriously focuses on it they can manage that... also apparently Google has streamlined the process a bit so maybe it will be even easier.

O is doing the final abstraction of the HAL to not have to involve the chipset mfgs for OS updates.

If they are going to open source it it is by definition not proprietary.
Whatever it is going to catch up with the industry or not is a whole another issue.

standards.png

Basically.

Call it open source, if it makes you feel better. It doesn't change that it's stupid, not necessary and benefits no one.

One of my friend was telling me that AccuBattery is a huge battery chugger for non rooted phones. Apparently it will try to read your battery usage beyond what it shows and those are hidden behind the system logs.

If true, I'm going to uninstall this app on my S8+ because I'm using it all stock besides basic customizations.

So the aspect ratio on that essential is 19:10 according to the site. Anyone find a comparison to the G6 or S8. Seems like the screen will be just as tall, but wider?

iPhones are more "modular" than any modular Android phone considering all the accessories you can add to your iPhone.

That's why this whole thing is a joke. Open source or not, no other manufacturer is going to adopt this and sacrifice the margins they have on their own accessories. Why would they do this? "To make the world a better place"?

Hulud

I gotta say. I'm really liking Arrow Launcher lately. I've used probably all of the other launchers for differing periods of time, and Nova is still the most feature-rich, but Arrow has the most useful utility page. Unlike shit like Bixby, I actually use the page to take notes, access recent convos, etc.

Feels like it's developed by a small team at MS and they do an awesome job updating it often. They just changed the app folders to take advantage of the tall-ass screen on the S8, showing extra icons.

Highly rec'd if you're tired of Nova.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Other than I guess the bigger battery idk why I'd want to bother with mods.

The whole thing is I want everything baked into the device. I don't want to have to carry around a bunch of random extra shit.

LeleSocho

Banned
Why would they do this? "To make the world a better place"?

Because it's actually a good and powerful standard? It's been years since we've seen this ultra short ultra high frequency wireless solution on tech blogs and whatnot, Essential is the first to actually make a product out of it and if it reaches the economy of scales maybe you'll start to see this thing everywhere with other companies producing their own kinds of add on, maybe even starting on hobbyist hardware like arduino or maybe with time the same concept can be applied on other phones with another more widely accepted standard...
...Or maybe only Essential will end up using this and only them make adds on.
Essentially the worst thing that can happen is nothing and i don't understand why you have to be so stupidly critical on something that at worst is so incredibly inoffensive.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So odd issue started a couple of days ago with my Moto Z.

It won't charge when plugged in. But it will charge fine if I turn then phone off. Or just once after a reboot, or in safe mode.

Mods on/off make no difference.

Any suggestions? Feels like a software thing since it works fine with any charger when off or safe mode.

Jeffrey

Samsung came by the office peddling their Knox stuff. I asked them if there was a way to make my s8 run better and they chuckled. Then I told her my Huawei was quicker and she looked absolutely offended lol.

Which is surprising. There's no Huawei presence in the US.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Do we have a thread on home automation questions?

This is what I would like to do as a first step into automation. I'd like to be able to use voice to turn on music stream to various areas. Say a wireless/BT speaker on the patio, and another in the kitchen and then I have BT on the receiver.

Would Google Home work? With Chromecasts attached to each speaker?

Samsung came by the office peddling their Knox stuff. I asked them if there was a way to make my s8 run better and they chuckled. Then I told her my Huawei was quicker and she looked absolutely offended lol.

They're trying to advertise their stuff and they're just marketing employees and you're being a smartass and a dick. I would be like stfu get a life.

What are you babbling about?
The phone occupies the same volume of the Galaxy S7 which has the same battery size and everyone was ok with it... heck the S8 which is bigger in size has the same 3000mah battery... The price is the standard for flagship products and uses even more premium materials than anybody else.
If they use the 60ghz thing for wireless charging it has already been said that it's going open source so not proprietary, headphone jack is the obvious step forward to save space inside the phone... the only right thing to lament is no waterproofing but for all the others it's the opposite of "poor use of space" or bad.
How about you research stuff before spouting rage?
Usually when you remove features you justify it by adding something else. Apple tried to justify removing the headphone jack with a slightly larger battery, waterproofing and the tap tic engine. The "Essential" phone lacks so many features that other high-end devices have and there's no justification as to why they decided to do it. Also, no the wireless charging solution is proprietary. They have been very quiet and have not said it is Qi or PMA, they said it is open source, but that probably means other people can develop and use the pins method they are going with.

Finally, in regards to battery size. If the phone lacks wireless charging, waterproofing, and a headphone jack, (All features the S7 had) then I'd like to know why they couldn't fit a larger battery internally. Yes it is the physically nearly the same size as the S7, but the S7 had a lot more features which would take up space internally.

Usually when you remove features you justify it by adding something else. Apple tried to justify removing the headphone jack with a slightly larger battery, waterproofing and the tap tic engine. The "Essential" phone lacks so many features that other high-end devices have and there's no justification as to why they decided to do it. Also, no the wireless charging solution is proprietary. They have been very quiet and have not said it is Qi or PMA, they said it is open source, but that probably means other people can develop and use the pins method they are going with.

Finally, in regards to battery size. If the phone lacks wireless charging, waterproofing, and a headphone jack, (All features the S7 had) then I'd like to know why they couldn't fit a larger battery internally. Yes it is the physically nearly the same size as the S7, but the S7 had a lot more features which would take up space internally.

They removed the jack for less bezels and bigger battery.

It doesn't do wireless charging it charges through the pin connectors.

With our unique Click cordless connector, your phone can quickly recharge while always being at-the-ready for when you need it.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;238701411 said:
They removed the jack for less bezels and bigger battery.

It doesn't do wireless charging it charges through the pin connectors.
But again, the S8 and G6 also have smaller bezels and they have wireless charging, waterproofing and MicroSD slots and while the G6 is indeed 0.29 inches taller it has a larger 3300mAh battery.

I didn't expect a proprietary "open source" magnetic connector that no other OEM will develop for when I saw news of a modular smartphone gain traction on blogs.

More landfill waste in the name of giving people power and saving the world, or something. Idk my bff jill

LeleSocho

Banned

The S7 didn't have a tiny bezel display and neither had an additional wireless module that generates heat and takes up space, here's how you justify the lack of headphone jack...
Water resistance is something that i understand being upset about as i already said and as for the wireless charging they just bet on their own thing

what size is that tee?

The S7 didn't have a tiny bezel display and neither had an additional wireless module that generates heat and takes up space, here's how you justify the lack of headphone jack...
Water resistance is something that i understand being upset about as i already said and as for the wireless charging they just bet on their own thing

the GS8 is out and wireless charging is "an additional wireless module that generates heat and takes up space" so wtf are you even talking about?

I don't know, maybe I just do not understand who this phone is meant for, but it sounds dumb. The product page talks about people being tired of having to buy new dongles, chargers, and accessories when they get a new phone so they invented the magnetic connector to future-proof the device....A new connector that you have to buy new chargers and accessories to use. Instead of including QI/PMA charging and a headphone jack they branched out and did their own thing which directly contradicts the message they are trying to send. Not to mention, I have to question if anybody else will jump into the magnetic connector game given it is open-source or if everybody will just stick to the standards already in place.

My space concerns still feel valid in my mind. It's only slightly smaller height wise than the LG G6, but internally the G6 is packing more features and a larger battery. I just don't understand it.

I don't know, maybe I just do not understand who this phone is meant for, but it sounds dumb. The product page talks about people being tired of having to buy new dongles, chargers, and accessories when they get a new phone so they invented the magnetic connector to future-proof the device....A new connector that you have to buy new chargers and accessories to use. Instead of including QI/PMA charging and a headphone jack they branched out and did their own thing which directly contradicts the message they are trying to send. Not to mention, I have to question if anybody else will jump into the magnetic connector game given it is open-source or if everybody will just stick to the standards already in place.

My space concerns still feel valid in my mind. It's only slightly smaller height wise than the LG G6, but internally the G6 is packing more features and a larger battery. I just don't understand it.

Bro it's stock Android and high specs. That's all that matters.

Top Bottom