• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Jeffrey

Reviews are so light on content that you can easily write a few with zero experience with the phone.

Oneplus 5. Lol iphone. Fast smooth. OK camera. 1080p screen.

Done.

Jeffrey

dbrand was so ancient history.

seems like casper mattresses is taking over the phone review crew.

Also, regardless of oneplus sucking as a company and all the dumb flaws and jelly belly.

op5 is basically pinnacle android in terms of performance and usability.

Basically super pixel turbo. wish I still had my pixel to compare, but at the very least compare to my at&t s8 plus, is like comparing an ultra book and a netbook.

heard sony android is blazing quick too, shame they don't care about the US.

dbrand was so ancient history.

seems like casper mattresses is taking over the phone review crew.

Also, regardless of oneplus sucking as a company and all the dumb flaws and jelly belly.

op5 is basically pinnacle android in terms of performance and usability.

Basically super pixel turbo. wish I still had my pixel to compare, but at the very least compare to my at&t s8 plus, is like comparing an ultra book and a netbook.

heard sony android is blazing quick too, shame they don't care about the US.

OnePlus really is the best Android experience you can get next to Pixel, just at a lower cost. It's a shame they screwed up the display because I had been waiting to make this my long term phone for awhile, but now I can't.

The sponsorships in the tech YouTube videos wouldn't be so bad if they switched it up sometimes. Get creative, incorporate that shit into the review.

"Whoops. The diabetes juice dripping off these delicious KFC Nashville Hot Tenders™ landed on the screen. And that brings me to the next thing I like about this phone. It's water resistant, so I can just rinse off the juice without any damage to the phone."

Jeffrey

OnePlus really is the best Android experience you can get next to Pixel, just at a lower cost. It's a shame they screwed up the display because I had been waiting to make this my long term phone for awhile, but now I can't.

picking up an essential? That could be the next thing... especially for folks that hate amoled.

And yeah internet advertising is like... dbrand, blue apron, casper, audible, harry's, tunnelbear... basically it.

picking up an essential? That could be the next thing... especially for folks that hate amoled.

And yeah internet advertising is like... dbrand, blue apron, casper, audible, harry's, tunnelbear... basically it.

Essential is too expensive to be a realistic option for me. $700 is insane for a debut phone from a new company. Maybe price will fall fast. Been thinking of the u11. That seems like a solid phone and has a 1440p ips panel.

Groof

The sponsorships in the tech YouTube videos wouldn't be so bad if they switched it up sometimes. Get creative, incorporate that shit into the review.

"Whoops. The diabetes juice dripping off these delicious KFC Nashville Hot Tenders™ landed on the screen. And that brings me to the next thing I like about this phone. It's water resistant, so I can just rinse off the juice without any damage to the phone."
Please start a YouTube channel

Yeah, my 3T just flys and that's with an 821 chip. I can only imagine how fast the One Plus 5 is. Too bad about the issues.

Jeffrey

Essential is too expensive to be a realistic option for me. $700 is insane for a debut phone from a new company. Maybe price will fall fast. Been thinking of the u11. That seems like a solid phone and has a 1440p ips panel.

we still know barely anything about the phone that was suppose to come out in june, besides the hardware lol.

Theres gotta be SOME software tweaks... or otherwise get it certified as an android one device and put it on the nexus/pixel update cycle.

u11 looks good, but today's xda piece mentions that htc sense is still stuck in the 2010s in design and framerate lag... probably not at $600+.

im basically done paying money for laggy phones. S8+'s screen is novel, but that wore off.

smooth and speed is top priority for me. everything else is nice to have. i dont pretend to care about picture quality as long as I can tell the general shape and color of what I took.

Yeah, my 3T just flys and that's with an 821 chip. I can only imagine how fast the One Plus 5 is. Too bad about the issues.

OnePlus 5 actually feels quite a bit faster than the 3T. Bootup time is much faster and the phone doesn't seem to really get hot at all compared to the 3T. I like the design more too in hand. I'd buy another if they fix the screen issue.

we still know barely anything about the phone that was suppose to come out in june, besides the hardware lol.

Theres gotta be SOME software tweaks... or otherwise get it certified as an android one device and put it on the nexus/pixel update cycle.

u11 looks good, but today's xda piece mentions that htc sense is still stuck in the 2010s in design and framerate lag... probably not at $600+.

im basically done paying money for laggy phones. S8+'s screen is novel, but that wore off.

smooth and speed is top priority for me. everything else is nice to have. i dont pretend to care about picture quality as long as I can tell the general shape and color of what I took.

The u11 doesn't seem that bad from what I've seen software wise. I'd probably throw Nova launcher on it anyway. Plus it seems to already have root and custom rooms which is good.

I still have this damn S8+ I'm stuck with no one will buy.

IronRaven

The u11 doesn't seem that bad from what I've seen software wise. I'd probably throw Nova launcher on it anyway. Plus it seems to already have root and custom rooms which is good.

I still have this damn S8+ I'm stuck with no one will buy.

Really? I would think you'd find a buyer for it pretty easily.

Jeffrey

yeah thats the one aspect no one is talking about... games that heat up my iphone and s8 and basically any other phone I've owned... nothing on the op5.

Clearly reversing the screen is an effective cooling solution.

The emergency dialer comes up too often when the phone is locked in my pocket (current stock Android). In recent weeks it happens once a week with a heap of numbers put in, but twice in the past half hour.

Really? I would think you'd find a buyer for it pretty easily.

Trying to sell for $600 and it's brand new. Noone wants it.

Jeffrey said:
yeah thats the one aspect no one is talking about... games that heat up my iphone and s8 and basically any other phone I've owned... nothing on the op5.

Clearly reversing the screen is an effective cooling solution.

Yep stays so cool. S8 gets hot af

Jeffrey

GSM Arena have been my go-to for phone reviews since way back. At least 10 years now. They consistently put out great in-depth reviews.

wish they'd talk a bit more about usability experience than just dump some benchmarks and 'features blog'. Always feels like they hold back on actually giving too much 'opinion' into the review.

Groof

that's always been the main difference between all the reviewers. either they go too hard on "feel" or they only focus on numbers and benchmarks. never really in between.

flossy keeps on winning though

wish they'd talk a bit more about usability experience than just dump some benchmarks and 'features blog'. Always feels like they hold back on actually giving too much 'opinion' into the review.

See, I'm the complete opposite. I love how they provide real numbers on things such as battery life, audio and SQ in general, and how they compare the cameras under standard conditions and such. In my opinion, that's a big step-up from your usual "the battery lasts for a whole day, depending on how much Wi-Fi I use. But I tend to generally use my phone a lot and sometimes less, so who knows really" or "the sound is great" or "camera performs really well (though you can never compare it with other devices, since tests are not standardized)".

I really appreciate the effort they put in, and while benchmarks are not the best way to measure performance, they certainly provide you with a general idea. The less opinion a reviewer provides vs numbers, the less biased a review can be.

Jeffrey

wonder if there are any youtube reviewers that go indepth on 'ui performance'.

When every reviewer just calls every single phone 'fast and smooth' and show them scrolling down the multitasking carasole... that doesn't tell me shit lol.

Show me where the ui hangs, show me where the customizations over stock work and don't.

show not tell... that's the whole point of a video right? I can get artsy angles of the phone from the official website of the device, thanks.

What I can't get from a demo unit at best buy is the performance of a phone loaded up with apps.

Like here is something that no review mentioned about OP5, you know how the 'share menu' always hangs on android on load? near instant on OP5. Rotating from portrait to landscape? The delay is basically half of the s8.

It's these little things that actually impact your day to day usability for a power user which reviews and dumb speed tests don't tell ya.

I'm not saying every reviewer needs to go nerd out about this stuff, but it beats having everyone give the most basic of overviews of a phone, telling you absolutely nothing, that you couldn't figure out from a glance.

this_guy

What do you consider to be substance?

Anandtech. I'll glance at gsmarena for their battery numbers, and I generally like Arstechnica's written review.

For Youtube reviews I like Pocketnow's real camera reviews when they discuss smartphone cameras. I like Mr. Mobile over MBKKHD, but I haven't watched either of their reviews for months now. Erica Griffin has always bored me. Flossy probably does the best job of giving real impressions nowadays.

jwk94

Anandtech. I'll glance at gsmarena for their battery numbers, and I generally like Arstechnica's written review.

For Youtube reviews I like Pocketnow's real camera reviews when they discuss smartphone cameras. I like Mr. Mobile over MBKKHD, but I haven't watched either of their reviews for months now. Erica Griffin has always bored me. Flossy probably does the best job of giving real impressions nowadays.

I've never actuallly watched a flossy review. As much as I love long-form videos, 30 min phnoe reviews are too long for me.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I watched Erica's Xperia XZ Premium review the other day and was just baffled at the format of it. And the Casper mattress bit was just wtf

I still don't even know if she liked it or not

I watched Erica's Xperia XZ Premium review the other day and was just baffled at the format of it. And the Casper mattress bit was just wtf

I still don't even know if she liked it or not

I don't like how she made it seem like she ordered the mattress because she had a pinched nerve, and then after I started noticing Casper in other tech reviewer videos like Krystal Key. Just be honest and say you got a free mattress to advertise. I've noticed a drop off in quality of her videos around the time she got married. I don't think she really cares about doing phone reviews anymore other than for collecting a paycheck.

I hate how YouTube reviewers pick up the phone and go "well it's nice but slippery, fortunately the guys at dbrand sent me this skin. great quality and you can personalize them. check them out, link in the description".

Jeffrey

Mate 9 was good. A bit aggressive with memory but Huawei stuff is skinned to the bone like Samsung, except they actually perform well.

kharma45

Mate 9 was good. A bit aggressive with memory but Huawei stuff is skinned to the bone like Samsung, except they actually perform well.

I'm a fan of the Mate 9. If I ever saw a good deal on it I'd probably jump on it. Software is the only real knock some I think might have against it. Bar that it's a good device.

Atleast this is a software issue. The screwed up screen is hardware and can't be fixed.

Not long since...

OnePlus is doing everything right lately

Weird my S8+ is fine.

Using without case running intensive apps or during startup it gets pretty warm. If you have case on that helps. Also glass back phones suck. The S8+ i have is a fingerprint mess and looks disgusting unless you wipe it down every two seconds. We need to go back to metal backed phones.

Jeffrey

even with the screw ups... s8 and op5 are pretty much the only flagships in the US worth looking in 2017 so far.

hmmm i guess there is the htc if you live the post headphone jack life.

Top Bottom