• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

I didn't want the red. I wanted the black or blue, but Amazon didn't have that color on sale so I'll deal with it or sell it. Dual speakers, 1440p ips panel, close to stock Android, unlockable bootloader and root. This phone seems to check all my boxes. Also the best smartphone camera is icing on the cake.

Jeffrey

In many comparisons I've seen the 1+3T beating the Pixel in performance. I would've thought the 1+5 would be even better. Or were those #FakeNews comparisons?

definitely win in speed, and charging speed. bluetooth connection is more reliable too imo. you lose out in slimness (1+5 is about as slim as you can get for a 16:9 phone with a decent battery size).

pixel has better software support, camera, screen.

I didn't want the red. I wanted the black or blue, but Amazon didn't have that color on sale so I'll deal with it or sell it. Dual speakers, 1440p ips panel, close to stock Android, unlockable bootloader and root. This phone seems to check all my boxes. Also the best smartphone camera is icing on the cake.

Only reasons I didn't pick one up is no wireless charging and no headphone jack. Otherwise I would've been all over 1.

Only reasons I didn't pick one up is no wireless charging and no headphone jack. Otherwise I would've been all over 1.

No headphone jack, but the included headphones are apparently the best ones included with any phone ever. Interested in trying out this squeeze feature. Might be handy for the flashlight or taking pictures quickly. Not sure why they didn't include wireless charging. It does have usb 3.1 lol

Jeffrey

these days... 16:9, ill pay at most oneplus money. you go up north of $600, you need some fancy screen shit+ good performance.

The rumored full screen xperia of this fall... might be something i'd get now that I think about it.

these days... 16:9, ill pay at most oneplus money. you go up north of $600, you need some fancy screen shit+ good performance.

The rumored full screen xperia of this fall... might be something i'd get now that I think about it.

I'm not a fan of these extra long aspect ratio phones. I don't mind bezel-less, but give me standard 16x9. Amazon did ship me my 75 inch TV for $600 so they gave me a credit that took $75 off the price of the phone so that helped bring down the u11 price for me.

I'm sure it'll be a fine, $900, GSM only, fingerprintless, square device.

Toki767

Hmm...so an update on my overheating S7 home button.

I think maybe wireless charging caused it.

When I plug it in with the screen off, it's cool.

When the screen is on or when it's unplugged and the screen is off, it starts heating up.

This is a really weird thing.

NeOak

Hmm...so an update on my overheating S7 home button.

I think maybe wireless charging caused it.

When I plug it in with the screen off, it's cool.

When the screen is on or when it's unplugged and the screen is off, it starts heating up.

This is a really weird thing.

Wireless charging is just a magnetic field.

That's something else.

DagsJT

I thought I'd narrowed my new phone choice to an LG G6 but just read of someone experiencing bootloops which puts me off.

I'm coming from an S7 and not really interested in the S8.

So that really just leaves the Pixel? Camera and headphone jack are a priority.

Jeffrey

I thought I'd narrowed my new phone choice to an LG G6 but just read of someone experiencing bootloops which puts me off.

wait 3 months for pixel 2.

maybe look at sony's stuff?

After having my Flex 2 die on me last week to bootloop, I refuse to buy LG hardware ever again. They have some major QC issues, which is reflected on how fast their phones drop in price. Take the G5 as an example: a quick search on eBay shows new G5 going for less than $250, while the Galaxy S7 is hard to find for under $400. Heck, even the V20 can be found for less than $400, and that phone came out 8 months ago.

LG's record is pathetic when it comes to this bootloop issue: G4, G5, V10, V20, Nexus 5X, Flex 2.

kaiyo

Is it? I've not seen any comparisons.

OP5 has a faster fingerprint sensor than the US Xperia though!
OP has probably the fastest fingerprint sensor. You just touch it and it instantly unlocks.

With xperia you need to press the power button to turn it on. Unless you're in the US, you guys don't have fingerprints.

Nokia has a partnership with Zeiss again for their flagship. Anyone know anything about it? The 920 was my favorite phone and I would definitely hold off from upgrading my moto g3 until I hear more.

Nokia is licensing the brand for smartphones to HMD, which employs a lot of former Nokia/Microsoft people in the higher ranks (CEO, President, COO, CFO, marketing). They are basically the former Nokia/Microsoft Mobile team. I'm sure there are a lot of former Nokia/Microsoft Mobile engineers as well on the team.

http://www.hmdglobal.com/about/

Oh I didn't know that. I thought some random Chinese company was handling the brand now.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/scrolling-stuttering-like-jelly.555171/page-6#post-16441207

OnePlus out here like

c8e.gif

ArchAngel

annnnnd the OnePlus 5 DxOMark score isssss:

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/07/06/oneplus-5-dxomark-score/

lol

Don't see anything wrong. It's a benchmark under a certain condition, not a real life experience. People hate DxO, but that's mostly because they don't understand what these guys do and don't do :) If you care about camera app opening speed, functions and quality of waggle shots, this is not your review website.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Don't see anything wrong. It's a benchmark under a certain condition, not a real life experience. People hate DxO, but that's mostly because they don't understand what these guys do and don't do :) If you care about camera app opening speed, functions and quality of waggle shots, this is not your review website.
You're missing the mark here - OnePlus announced a "partnership" with Dx0 and said absolutely nothing about it when the phone was announced. Clearly that partnership fell through. Or the check bounced, one or the other.

Blackhead

Redarse

ArchAngel

I'm not talking about the OP5 specifically (don't really care for it), but I see people always get confused with DxO scores since last year. "Why is X better than Y?" etc.
Never had a problem with their reviews after reading ^^

I don't care for OnePlus as the most important thing for me is the customer service as I can't overlook small problems and details on electronics. And OP seems to have one of the worst CS in the phone industry :/

It's a $479 phone with internals that match the flagships. Of course they had to make cuts in certain areas. An 87 is not a bad score by any means.

Instro

Hey folks, any good advice for dealing with power drain issues. I've been noticing intermittent issues with my phone(LG G5) for a month or 2 now, and I can't quite pinpoint the issue other than that Google services/play services is eating up my battery randomly. Usually accompanied by my phone getting pretty hot.

Jeffrey

Dx0 review seemed fine from my experience. I don't get how there scoring system works though.

Like I need a reference for what a 40 score camera is like.

Top Bottom