• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andy Ruiz Jr beats Anthony Joshua: New World Boxing Champion

AfricanKing

“Anthony Joshua has suffered a shock defeat in his heavyweight bout against unfancied Mexican fighter Andy Ruiz Jr in New York.

The Briton, 29, has lost all three of his IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight titles after being stopped in the seventh round in front of a disbelieving crowd at Madison Square Garden.

He had spent much of rounds four to six recovering from what was possibly the most damaging round of his career in the third, during which he was knocked down twice.

Ruiz sent him to the deck two more times in the seventh round, and - despite returning to his feet - referee Mike Griffin stepped in to bring the clash to an end.”

MastAndo

That was just terrific. AJ got caught in the 3rd and never recovered. It didn't really feel like a fluke either - normally in a huge upset like this, you would expect the initial favorite to come back and exert his dominance, but I'm not so sure that will even happen here. Ruiz has really good hands. He's not a chump who got lucky.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
He got owned this time. I didn’t see this coming but from the 3rd round I knew he was done

AfricanKing

That was just terrific. AJ got caught in the 3rd and never recovered. It didn't really feel like a fluke either - normally in a huge upset like this, you would expect the initial favorite to come back and exert his dominance, but I'm not so sure. Ruiz has really good hands. He's not a chump who got lucky.

Yeah I noticed that as well, after the first knock down he was off his game . He never expected Ruiz to come back straight away.

MastAndo

Yeah I noticed that as well, after the first knock down he was off his game . He never expected Ruiz to come back straight away.
Twice he asked his corner what the punch was that dropped him. He probably remembers little of the fight after he went down.

AJ still seemed out of it in the 4th, but Ruiz took that round off. I thought that might give Joshua a chance to get back in it, but yeah, didn't work out that way.

Prison Mike

Banned
Like wilder said shows who was running from who I've never seen someone so happy to lose all his belts looks like he just won the lottery

LostDonkey

The build up to the fight was cruel especially with the UK media calling Ruiz a fat slob and saying Joshua was going to cruize past him with ease.

I hope theyre eating their words now.

Boss Mog

What an embarrassment. I knew he was vastly overrated and that both Wilder and Fury would have no problem beating him. Now we don't have waste time with those fights. Wilder v Fury II has been confirmed so let's rejoice that we're getting the sequel to one of the best heavyweight fights in a long time.

It goes to show that boxing isn't a bodybuilding contest and AJ always seems to care more about his physique than his boxing ability.

Bugger, not a fan of the thread title - I hadn't got around to watching this yet due to time differences and being asleep.

Need some mind rubbers now so I can enjoy the fight!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hayfield

Banned
Good, about time AJ got knocked off his high horse. He went in way too confident and his knockdown on Ruiz was in the end his downfall. He wanted the big finish and he got it just not from the man he wanted.

Fairplay to Ruiz, go enjoy that taco 🌮

All eyes on Fury and Wilder.

mekes

Never been a fan, even tho I’m a Brit. I don’t like boxing for the ducking and “failed negotiations.” Boxing loves padding records and A.J only surprised me one time. Then his competition was a noticeable step down. So, I’m not really surprised as I didn’t buy any of the hype. A.J is the next A.K?

The real talented British heavyweight fights in a few weeks.

highrider

Banned
Ha that was so great. Looking at the two fighters it’s pretty comical. Ruiz is like what’s my brother in law doing in there fighting 😂

Ruiz sort of reminds me of the late Corrie Sanders, who also scored a surprising upset over a highly decorated champion (Klitschko).

I'm shocked. Joshua got careless and paid for it. I still think he beats Wilder, but Fury is the true heavyweight king after this.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
Short and speedy AJ's kryptonite. Hearn made a bad call on the match up but then again AJ was never one to take a cherry pick fight, he selected a fighter that covers all AJ weaknesses.
Props to Ruiz, AJ still the best HW in the division (better resume, and 1st to unify since Fury)

Wimbledon

This is what makes sports great, anything can happen. Renews my faith in boxing , after the Ward Kovalev bout and GGG vs Canelo fights i havent actually been paying to much attention to it since it seemed obvious who the judges were pulling for.

But this was a pleasant surprise , although i like AJ, Andy is a tough cat full respect for him. Hopefully AJ comes back better.

DKehoe

Joshua in 2012:

D8C99GYWkAADRSn.jpg

Ruiz in 2012:

D8C99GWXUAADfWl.jpg

KOMANI

KOMANI
This reminds me of when Lewis would get KOed by jobbers, and then win the rematch impressively. Ruiz was also a last minute replacement, and those are dangerous, especially at heavyweight.

My Big D

Banned
AJ is a roided cheat and i loved watching him getting ktfo by a regular dad bod looking dude. poethic justice

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I wonder how well Ruiz will perform in the rematch. Buster Douglas, Montell Griffin, Oliver McCall all let fame get to them where they became more complacent after their upset wins. (albeit, Montell won off of a DQ)

klosos

Ill admit i was making fun of Ruiz , i was calling him Flabby Tits and what not and he made me eat my words. After i got up from the floor then knock Joshua on his backside, Joshua was stunned and out of it , Ruiz could of finished it earlier if he liked

So fair play to Ruiz much deserved , his counter punches was fantastic and Joshua had no answer to it. Well Done Ruiz

Top Bottom