• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 34 15.9%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 46 21.5%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 79 36.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 41 19.2%

• Total voters

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Yeah, that's exactly how felt about Undead Unluck. I liked the premise but it became typical shonen battle schlock.

That's how I feel about most of the genre

I'm tired of reading from that genre since I find them to be more of the same

So I tend to read manga in different genres

Especially Seinen

Labolas

That's how I feel about most of the genre

I'm tired of reading from that genre since I find them to be more of the same

So I tend to read manga in different genres

Especially Seinen
Agreed. I feel the same way. But I will say there are manga in the genre that are outliers. Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note are examples of that. But recently SJ has been doing a pretty good job of diversifying their newer manga aren't typical battle shonen. Stuff like Versus, Dandadan, Chainsaw Man, and SpyXFamily are really fantastic manga.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Agreed. I feel the same way. But I will say there are manga in the genre that are outliers. Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note are examples of that. But recently SJ has been doing a pretty good job of diversifying their newer manga aren't typical battle shonen. Stuff like Versus, Dandadan, Chainsaw Man, and SpyXFamily are really fantastic manga.

Out of those you mentioned- Dandadan and Chainsaw Man are fantastic. I do have to catch up on both of these manga

I haven't read Versus

SpyXFamily I saw the first part of the anime and loved it. I haven't read the manga yet

Makima is a bitch.

I'm at the part with the new female protag with thst cooking demon or something. I do have to catch up though

As for the new female protag, I'm fine with her and the story is still interesting

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I finished rewatching FMP! Season 1. The CGI aged really badly especially on the mechs but the anime overall is still a fantastic experience. The rest of the anime has aged really well. Also watching it on crunchyroll. The aspect ratio is smaller so it doesn't cover the whole screen

Just got past episode 1 of FMP! The Second Raid. I noticed the difference immediately. Visually this still looks fantastic, and the animations have improved. Overall a better experience

After I finish rewatching FMP! Second Raid

I'm rewatching these anime

Gundam 00
Paranoia Agent
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Last Exile
Ergo Proxy
Welcome To The N.H.K
Ghost In The Shell SAC Season 1/2 + Movie

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I finished rewatching FMP! Season 1. The CGI aged really badly especially on the mechs but the anime overall is still a fantastic experience. The rest of the anime has aged really well. Also watching it on crunchyroll. The aspect ratio is smaller so it doesn't cover the whole screen

Just got past episode 1 of FMP! The Second Raid. I noticed the difference immediately. Visually this still looks fantastic, and the animations have improved. Overall a better experience

After I finish rewatching FMP! Second Raid

I'm rewatching these anime

Gundam 00
Paranoia Agent
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Last Exile
Ergo Proxy
Welcome To The N.H.K
Ghost In The Shell SAC Season 1/2 + Movie
Damn good rewatch list there. I'm rewatching Stand Alone complex right now along with my first watch of Immoral Guild lol.

NanaMiku

Just finished watching Mushoku Tensei season 2 ep 8. Pretty good, the fight with Badi is quite satisfying.

And Nina is cute
ue4ghuek9okb1.png

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Damn good rewatch list there. I'm rewatching Stand Alone complex right now along with my first watch of Immoral Guild lol.

Ghost In The Shell SAC is my favorite anime of all time that includes the movie

Too bad Netflix ruined it with that stupid 3D CGI Sequel Anime

But I still have the original Season 1/2 + Movie to fall back on.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Ghost In The Shell SAC is my favorite anime of all time that includes the movie

Too bad Netflix ruined it with that stupid 3D CGI Sequel Anime

But I still have the original Season 1/2 + Movie to fall back on.
Yeah, I love SAC. I've even got the soundtracks on cd. Watching it now it still holds up really well. CG intro for season one aside. At least it's got that badass song. Kanno was on fire here along with Wolf's Rain.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Yeah, I love SAC. I've even got the soundtracks on cd. Watching it know it still holds up really well. CG intro for season one aside. At least it's got that badass song. Kanno was on fire here along with Wolf's Rain.

Season 1 is still my favorite out of the two seasons due to The Laughing Man and J. D. Salinger (My Favorite Author)

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Got to Chapter 441 in Fairy Tail Manga

It's pretty good but it's nothing special

Has some good waifus and some good fanservice though 😏
I've seen about 175 episodes of the anime. I like it (obviously) lol. The fanservice was on point. I'll go back and finish it someday. His new series is great with fanservice too.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I've seen about 175 episodes of the anime. I like it (obviously) lol. The fanservice was on point. I'll go back and finish it someday. His new series is great with fanservice too.

You mean Sci Fi Fairy Tail? :p

I might be finished with Fairy Tail by the end of this week

I might start reading Eden Zero next or Fairy Tail 100 Year Quest next

But I'll be sure to be finishing Dr Stone soon too

NanaMiku

Zom100 finally continue again after the break. I don't really like it because the annoying character is back and Akira returned to be afraid again

Fbh

Not reading/watching it, but just randomly saw some of these post skip Boruto designs and Jesus when you thought the character design couldn't get worse they took it to the next level of bad.

Yeah, that's exactly how felt about Undead Unluck. I liked the premise but it became typical shonen battle schlock.

Honestly the current run of shonen jump is pretty shitty.
I don't know what they'll do once One Piece finally ends.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Not reading/watching it, but just randomly saw some of these post skip Boruto designs and Jesus when you thought the character design couldn't get worse they took it to the next level of bad.

Nah man

There Will always be talent that will make a banger when it comes to manga. There's My Hero Academia, etc carrying that torch. Even through MHA is ending pretty soon

Doom85

They‘ll be fine.

One Piece was only Jump’s 4th highest selling manga for 2021 (can’t remember if the 2022 sales were covered yet). Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer, and My Hero Academia outsold it. And that’s not even getting into their digital titles on Jump +, like Spy x Family, Chainsaw Man Part 2, Dandadan, Kaiju no. 8, etc. which are doing even bigger numbers than most of their printed series.

Labolas

Gotta hard disagree with that. Especially with how that SJ implemented their SJ Plus app for their newer manga. At least now they're actually branching out of typical battle shonen manga. I realllly didn't like Shonen Jump when it was in its big 3 phase.

NanaMiku

Gotta hard disagree with that. Especially with how that SJ implemented their SJ Plus app for their newer manga. At least now they're actually branching out of typical battle shonen manga. I realllly didn't like Shonen Jump when it was in its big 3 phase.
Yeah, but the main Weekly Shonen Jump is not as big as before, many title got axed just after about 10 chapters.

Most of my favorite jump titles aren't in the main Shonen Jump magazine. Some of my favorites right now:

Magilumiere

Magilumiere_Co._Ltd._volume_1_cover.jpg

Akane-banashi

Akane-banashi-focus-on-the-title-that-attracts-the-senseis-attention.jpg

World Trigger

world-trigger-27.jpg

Tenmaku Cinema

Tenmaku-Cinema-Chapter-1-Hajime-Shinichi-Kurakui-Himeki.jpg

Kono Oto Tomare

0a430eade6bdcb94df99e0b9b15c19c2.png

Show-ha Sho-ten

Show-ha_Shoten%21_Vol_1.jpg

100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really Likes You

16-17.png

Labolas

Yeah, but the main Weekly Shonen Jump is not as big as before, many title got axed just after about 10 chapters.

Most of my favorite jump titles aren't in the main Shonen Jump magazine. Some of my favorites right now:

Magilumiere

Magilumiere_Co._Ltd._volume_1_cover.jpg

Akane-banashi

Akane-banashi-focus-on-the-title-that-attracts-the-senseis-attention.jpg

World Trigger

world-trigger-27.jpg

Tenmaku Cinema

Tenmaku-Cinema-Chapter-1-Hajime-Shinichi-Kurakui-Himeki.jpg

Kono Oto Tomare

0a430eade6bdcb94df99e0b9b15c19c2.png

Show-ha Sho-ten

Show-ha_Shoten%21_Vol_1.jpg

100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really Likes You

16-17.png
Tbf, I was never really into weekly SJ that much. It's probably why they wanted to start Plus because of that very reason.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Recently finished Mob Psycho III, Jujutsu Kaisen 0 and Yofukashi no Uta (Call of the Night). The latter got a bit long in the tooth halfway through its 13 episode season and while watchable I'm not going to bother with any potential sequels to it. Mob Psycho was great and that Jujutsu Kaisen film even more so. Super hyped for the new season of it (which I'm letting marinate at the moment so I can go full binge mode when all of the episodes have been released).

Currently going through Dr. Stone: New World, Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru (Reign of the Seven Spellblades) and Vinland Saga season 2

Boy oh boy, is Vinland 2 ever a fuckin' bore. Somehow I made it up to episode 17 but at this point I'm just skipping through episodes as nothing really happens. It's quite astonishing that they took something so epic and engaging and turned it on its head for... reasons? I don't want to watch Vinland Saga for slice-of-life farmer bullshit or contemporary musings on life and philosophy that have no place in that dark and violent era of our world. I'm here for hardcore action and spectacle! I'll stick with it for now as there's no point dropping it this late in the game but man... what a waste.

Dr. Stone season 3 is more of the same but I can appreciate it for what it is: super dumb and completely nonsensical but they just roll with it anyway lol so I guess I will as well.

Reign of the Seven Spellblades is Harry Potter if it were more violent and anime hah. It's also very dumb and I doubt I'll ever return to it after this first season but it's easy to watch.

Any other recommendations of must see shows or films of recent times? I've not really kept up with it all.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

New trailer for Frieren

Oh God, it's Yoasobi again....

Boy oh boy, is Vinland 2 ever a fuckin' bore. Somehow I made it up to episode 17 but at this point I'm just skipping through episodes as nothing really happens. It's quite astonishing that they took something so epic and engaging and turned it on its head for... reasons? I don't want to watch Vinland Saga for slice-of-life farmer bullshit or contemporary musings on life and philosophy that have no place in that dark and violent era of our world. I'm here for hardcore action and spectacle! I'll stick with it for now as there's no point dropping it this late in the game but man... what a waste.
If you don't like the farming arc, you won't like the next part lol. After the farming arc, there's almost no more big action

VN1X

Banned
New trailer for Frieren

Oh God, it's Yoasobi again....

If you don't like the farming arc, you won't like the next part lol. After the farming arc, there's almost no more big action

Oh geez lol. Well thanks for the heads-up then at least. Will definitely not be continuing that show. Such a waste of potential.

NanaMiku

Oh geez lol. Well thanks for the heads-up then at least. Will definitely not be continuing that show. Such a waste of potential.
There a possibility that the current arc will have big battle

Thorfinn and the others have reach Vinland which is America. They meet the Indian. At first everything is fine, but something happened with the Indian and the there's a possibility that it'll become a war

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Got to Chapter 501 in Fairy Tail Manga

I'm almost done with the manga. There's 545 Chapters total

lC2QUBm.jpg

Nice 😏

Last edited:

drganon

Watched the K-on movie. It was decent, but you won't get anything out of it unless you've watched the show first. Started watching ai yori aoshi. I remember I started watching it when I was in high school, but didn't get that far. We'll see how far I get this time.

Doom85

37 episodes into Eureka Seven. I did not think it could be this interesting to watch a mecha show about a hippie commune.

God, I love that show. It does have its flaws (like one has to be really patient when it comes to Holland’s growth as a character, and the show answers almost all questions/mysteries but I felt a few should have been even more focused on), but damn, the animation, music, cool details about the world, etc. slap so hard.

Just do yourself a favor and you should probably not watch past the original series. Everything that came out after (the alternate universe movie, the sequel series, and the prequel/alternate universe film trilogy) managed to keep one-upping themselves in taking a middle finger to the characters, tone, and themes of the original series.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
37 episodes into Eureka Seven. I did not think it could be this interesting to watch a mecha show about a hippie commune.

One of my favorite anime. I have to rewatch this show

God, I love that show. It does have its flaws (like one has to be really patient when it comes to Holland’s growth as a character, and the show answers almost all questions/mysteries but I felt a few should have been even more focused on), but damn, the animation, music, cool details about the world, etc. slap so hard.

Just do yourself a favor and you should probably not watch past the original series. Everything that came out after (the alternate universe movie, the sequel series, and the prequel/alternate universe film trilogy) managed to keep one-upping themselves in taking a middle finger to the characters, tone, and themes of the original series.

Thanks for the warning. I never saw anything past the original series.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Fairy Tail: B+

Story/Character

I thought the first couple of Story Arcs were great until I started to feel a bit formulaic. The story is still good but I felt there was no stakes in the plot. I really like the humorous tone through the story. The story has its dark moments though.

Everyone is Jellel. I really hated how Mistogun face reveal ended up being sigh Jellel

Another thing since it's a battle manga I tend get tired of the tropes involving this genre.

All the characters were tropey as all hell but they were still charming and memorable. My favorite WAIFU being Erza. Hiro did a good job fleshing out the characters especially the female characters.

Setting/Lore

Setting being High Fantasy is a common trope but with the use of Guilds is interesting. With Fairy Tail Guild being the main focus. It has some good Lore.

Art

The art is excellent throughout. Love the background art, it's very detailed. As for the character designs the main cast is fantastic. The female designs are all fantastic especially. Have some memorable WAIFUs. The character expressions come across clearly and the fights are fun to look at visually

I give the manga a B+ due to the sexiness of the WAIFUs. This is S-Tier stuff

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Just finished reading the newest chapter of World Trigger. Finally more info about Hatohara

I really love this manga. The pace is really slow but the character and worldbuilding is really good. Hopefully the author can keep his good health so he can finish the story

Delphisage

43 episodes into Eureka Seven.
Okay, it's one thing to give the silly pronounciation to the characters, but it's another thing when you call the actual flower an "ah-ne-mah-nay".

Last edited:

Labolas

Finished another manga. This time Jackals. I think I’ll keep the review/thoughts relatively shorter than the previous manga review.

Jackals:

anBn

Synopsis (from MU): Cicero City, is a city infested with immigrants where people of all races scramble to find work and shelter. Infested with destruction and slaughter, it's a chaotic society. Living on the outside of society, the Jackals are professional assassins with no allegiance, available to the highest bidder. This is their story.​

If I had to describe this manga in particular in one word it would be: edgy. From the setting to the characters, and to the story, everything about it definitely has an edgy 2000s feel to it. Hell characters are literally wearing leather jackets, scowling all the time, have 8-pack abs, and have giant ass swords. In fact, that’s the main character in a nutshell. He isn’t a character that really changes from that either. The main character is Nichol and he’s a Jackal who hates gangs and vows to destroy them because his mother (who also happened to be the best bounty hunter ever) died at the hands of one. Less than a quarter of the story through, they set up a rival character that is somehow connected to him. From there, there are some twists that happen throughout the story. But boy are the twists extremely predictable and nonsensical. Like the mother being alive somehow and working with a criminal organization despite her not wanting ever to work for one. And this will somehow protect her son from any harm coming his way. The twists/reveals were not good and the ending was very forgettable and felt like the author wanted to finish as quickly as possible. Overall, this is probably one of the most middle of the road mangas I’ve read. It isn’t too terrible but at the same time, it didn’t do anything spectacular. There are better manga/anime out there that do this style of story better. (6/10) Finished

Positives:
The Art is decent enough
A short read
Decent action

Meh:
The EDGE

Negatives:
Very predictable reveals
Characters are kind of one note
Forgettable story

Other manga/anime recommendations:
Gangsta., Darker Than Black, No Guns Life, Black Lagoon

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Just finished watching Synduality Noir Ep. 9.
Welp, the characters from the game appeared, even though the game is still not out lol

Top Bottom