• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another PIKMIN 2 thread-

CrisKre

I know there are a number of therads on the topic, but I made this one in appretiation of this amazing title and hopefully to encorage more people to GO GET THIS GAME.

I can now say this title is one of the best games I have ever played. The game design is just so perfect one cant help to wonder the amount of tought that has been put into it.
Really the lack of time limit is the best thing that could have happened to the series. Its clear that they did this thinking carefully how to balance the game and keep it stimulating. One of the fears i had when this change was announced was how they would still keep the game challenging. The answer- the equivalent to zelda dungeons in the Pikmin series: the caves. Its like they said 'ok, breed your Pikmin all you want, explore the incredible outdoor areas all you want, but go into a cave and you are on your own, so you better try and protect every last one of your Pikmin'. And god does it work.

Its also interesting how well designed the pacing in the game is. For the first couple of hours of play it really didn't seem that much of an improvement over the first game (it even seemed like they re-used to many enemies and bosses), but the more you play the more you realize this is so much more ambitious, so much more polished and well rounded its amazing. They really had time to make the best out of this game and this is evident in the ammount of little touches you see in every corner (like when you kill the ladybug mother and the offsprings start following you, for example). And also the bosses, which are just plain excellent.

All in all, this is for me the best title this gen. Welcome back, Nintendo.

game001.jpg

game003.jpg

And some Wallpaper material:
051303_PIKMIN2_SS-16.jpg

pik2.jpg

P2_overlook_ad.jpg

P2_twig_ad.jpg

pikminart1.jpg

LOVE IT. best title all year so far. Fun in a box. I really really enjoy it. and am still enjoying it. CrisKre; you forgot to mention the fantastic integration of the second character into the game. How Nintendo made that work is beyond me but its fantastic

the fact that the treasures you get from underground; can improve the game -light for dungeon; better whistle; sleeping bag.. and more makes this game stupendous. I didn't expect this and was all the more spoilt for it.

* are the bud pikmins still in the game - don't recall seeing any.

olimario

Banned
I can't wait for Pikmin 3 on the next system. It's going to look so amazing.
Things I want to see in Pikmin 3.

-A garden hose across a level with a hole in it. Throw enough Pikmin on the crank to turn on the hose and have water spray from the hole.

-a cat to walk across a level from time to time. preferrably blinx.

CrisKre

I know GreenGiant, yesterday when I was playing I was trying to think how much design, how much testing must have been needed to make ALL of the incredibly complex variables of game design implemented here work so flawlessly so that the gamer plays with ease, not even thinking about them. EVERYTHING, from the artificial intelligence, to making the puzzles coherent and 'doable' (ie- dungeons that have water in them and allow you to carry your pikmin across with the wistle for example to go to a deeper level without sacrificing the puzzle's integrity, all of this while making the caves be RANDOM GENERATED FOR GODS SAKE!!!!), is just gaming development at its finest.

I wish they added some CO-OP in this game. It doesn't even have to be split screen either. There could be a button you can press to switch to the other person (if your not on the same screen). It would freeze the action of that player and the surrounding activity and give the other player control until he switches back.

If done correctly with some clever level design, it could be pretty fun.

In battles and such you can both work together on the same screen to accomplish a goal(Like Boss Battles for example).

CrisKre

I know, the even better thing about the franchize is that as incredible as this game is there is sooooooooo much room for improvements and for making new additions to the game's formula. I cannot wait to see what Pikmin 3 brings.

Flynn

Mike brought me back a pack of Pikmin 2 e-Reader cards from Japan.

Anybody know what they do? I haven't tried them out to see if the work here.

ge-man

I think this game is going to be a sleeper this year, which will be kind of sad. With all the hell that people have given EAD, they finally put out title beyond almost all criticism. Pikmin deserves to be next to Mario and Zelda.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It's a great game, but I haven't felt like playing it for some time now. It's like I have to devote a substantial amount of time if I'm to play it, maybe that's why...

Dave Long

Banned
My review is up today at GamerDad. Also, I hope people read my column today. It's called Grand Theft Pikmin. You might be surprised at the parallels in design between GTA3 and Pikmin 2. It seems that Nintendo has been paying a lot closer attention to the industry than people want to think they are.

I also talked about Pikmin 2 in my column last week. The game is awesome. Easily among the top five games this year IMO.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
If it wasn't for Four Swords this'd be my console game of the year.

I am very glad Nintendo delayed it. The amount of extra polish on this one shows. Hopefully they take as long as they need to with the rest of their big name titles (SMS, WW... :( )

Memles

Hoping I'll be playing it in three months from now; was on for $45 Canadian, only picking up Mario Tennis myself this fall, so I basically sent them the link online and said "There, Buy it. Now".

I think it worked, but you never know.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Wyzdom said:
Yeah sales must be bad since it's an incredibly good game but without bad ass graphics and violence.

Honestly, I can't tell if this is sarcasm towards me (which wouldn't make much sense) or bitterness at the industry (which would be...strange).

I just wanted to know when the next NPD figures are due.

WTF?

Need Help with the killing something

has anyone else met the ghost with 2 roller for wheelers - it wiped out my entire contigent of Pikmins and I can't figured out how to give it form to kill it. Help?!

its very spirited away.

Ranger X

Mama Smurf said:
Honestly, I can't tell if this is sarcasm towards me (which wouldn't make much sense) or bitterness at the industry (which would be...strange).

I just wanted to know when the next NPD figures are due.

nah it's not toward you but the industry or i should say "gamers as a whole" maybe.
Too many have deserved so much to sell but didn't.
Anyhow, Nintendo is most of time lucky in this situation and i think Pikmin2 will sell alot more than if it was written Atlus on it's box or something.

Dave Long

Banned
The column I talked about above is now available at GamerDad. I don't want to link it because that's kind of uncool but I really would like to know what people think about the Grand Theft Auto parallel...

Speevy

Banned
Pikmin 2 > Every other 2004 game I've played. (which only includes Ninja Gaiden and Riddick, but still...)

ge-man

TheGreenGiant--
Don't try to take him on--he is only vulnerable in the final stage of the Submerged Castle. Purple Pikmin are his weakness and there should be some purple flower buds for on the final level. But for the four levels before hand--when you see him, run! Actually, there are few things you can do.

He can't enter little corners, so you can pull up you pikmin into one of those when the shit hits the fan.

You can also use of of space men as a diversion. Plant one of them in corner or something to draw out the wraith if you need the pimkin to complete a longer task.

Your biggest weapon in the Submerged Castle is time, however. The wraith drops at specific times, so you best approach is to move as fast as you can.

Dave Long said:
The column I talked about above is now available at GamerDad. I don't want to link it because that's kind of uncool but I really would like to know what people think about the Grand Theft Auto parallel...

What parallel?! You don't have to link the whole article but a quote and a link would be good.

GTA parallel? Freedom to do stuff? You mean like all the side quests that Nintendo has put into their games since... the SNES (see Super Mario). The article was reaching and I just had a read - what a load of crock. GTA might have its freedom but it is also mission based and the structure is very different - the gameplay elements in GTA also really don't add to the gameplay (with regards to controlling Olimar + Co. like the
power ups once you get them
do to the game. The only thing that you get upgraded really in GTA is your weaponry. Nothing will make your character in GTA play better.

Pikmin has always been about exploration - take away the time limit and Pikmin 2 is what you get. Even in the 1st game; you can travel between areas at will to tackle the challenges - and the game neccessitated that. Its the same for a lot of Nintendo's title - Metroid/Zelda - going back with new skills /pikmins to tackle the challenges in the game. I don't see why they had to reference Nintendo's gaming design to GTA.

NOW. Can someone help me kill my SOB?!

*Thanks ge-man. :)

Top Bottom