• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any anime remotely close to Bebop quality release in the past 5 years??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I am trying to get into Last Exile right now...tis alright, it's losing me though. I greatly dug the early episodes, but once the whole silver-haired effeminate 'powers that be' entered the scene....well my appreciation ejected right from the Vanship.

So what 'cool' well-thought anime productions are worth looking into? Bebop was great, did they make another?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Define "cool"... you looking for stuff just like Bebop or no?

I have enjoyed Trigun, Noir and Lain. Now I'm getting into Naruto.

Chrono

Banned
Brandon F said:
Isn't that just Naruto with Pirates?

:mad:

::stabs Brandon::

::throws body in river::

Ahem. No, it is NOT. It's much more laid back and funnier. It's not focused on "training" and being "powerful" like fighting anime. One Piece is all about the awsesome adventure!

I like this cool emoticon. :cool:

Dice

Ahem. No, it is NOT. It's much more laid back and funnier. It's not focused on "training" and being "powerful" like fighting anime. One Piece is all about the awsesome adventure!
And that would be the primary difference between Ninjas and Pirates.

Brandon F

Smart stories, intelligent subject matter(stuff that won't insult my intelligence... the 'Love Hina' syndrome), stylish characterization, witty yet sly heroes and villains. You know something that could possibly ape Bebop I guess. I am in that kinda mood.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC is all I can think of, but that is still awhile away from release.

What is the premise of One-piece?

Outlaw

Banned
Oh and soon it will be:

<-------- Samurai Champloo
thumbs_up.gif

Brandon F said:
So what 'cool' well-thought anime productions are worth looking into? Bebop was great, did they make another?

Trigun should be your next anime. I thought it was up there in quality and storyline.

Big O basically features a lot of the same voice actors in similar roles. Has a cool Batman:TAS look to it too.

Samurai Champloo is made by the same guy(s) that did Cowboy Bebop but it just started airing and I've only seen two episodes out so far.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has a lot of buzz although I personally haven't seen it yet. It's one that I'd like to very soon however.

Edit:

Gungrave. Forgot about that one. Imagine Spike still with the Syndicate.

Jak140

The two anime series I enjoyed enough to actually purchase are Cowboy Bebop and FLCL. So I'd say FLCL. Also, as far as anime movies are concerned, you really can't go wrong with any of Miyazaki's films.

Paranoia Agent is the best series i've seen in awhile. If you've seen Satoshi Kon's movies (Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, and Millenium Actress) and liked them you'll love it. The stories have been great especially the last 2 eps which have been awesome.

Chrono

Banned
The Shadow said:
Trigun should be your next anime. I thought it was up there in quality and storyline.

I'm watching Trigun right now. Actually I have Zoomplayer paused at the beginning of episode 4. To tell you the truth, what I've seen of it sucks. Now I know it's early but I absolutely LOVED cowboy bebop from the first time I watched it.

Outlaw said:
Escaflowne is the only anime that comes close.

I was going to order it from DDD when the discount frenzy hit the boards but they didn't have the boxset! arg! I got kenshin season one and all the full metal panic DVDs. I'm thinking about getting it later this year from amazon but they're out of stock. =\

*checks ANN *

Right stuff has it for 84 dollars.. tempting.

edit: dammit! they don't have it in stock either. >__<

Dice

With Trigun, don't be fooled by the first few episodes which seem rather silly, it has a good mix of silly and serious/thoughtful. The story development is probably unbalanced to give a better punch towards the end, but it all makes sense the second time through because it uses great foreshadowing in the earlier episodes. Oh, and don't watch the english dub, it sucks hardcore.

I'd throw up a warning about Big O in that I think it just gets ridiculous later on. Exploring intellectual concepts is great, but in doing so you should keep some level of sanity left to the little anime world you form.

Brandon F

I didn't much care for Trigun actually. I dug what it was going for, but Vash was just too far convicted in his morals for me to really care. Wolfwood was interesting tho. The latter third of the series dealing with the gung-ho guns and stuff was FAR more entertaining than the filler episodic junk that was the first half. (I nearly quit watching after the neon gang episodes...yuck)

I did enjoy Outlaw Star also if that helps spur any thoughts...it was sci-fi fluff in many ways, but the continuity of the episodes and the planet-hopping treasure hunt as a whole made it a fun watch.

I'll keep an eye out for Paranoia Agent. I dug Perfect Blue but have yet to see his other works.

Samurai Champloo seems interesting so far. I watched episode 1 and thought the fight choreography was brutally entertaining(breakdance swordfighting!) But I dunno, something really seemed off with the characters and situation. May turn out cool, I'll keep downloading I guess.

bjork

SolidSnakex said:
Paranoia Agent is the best series i've seen in awhile.

Yeah, this was a good show too.

Speaking of which, I never did find the open/ending songs anywhere. Anyone else have any luck?

Chrono

Banned
Brandon F said:
I did enjoy Outlaw Star also if that helps spur any thoughts...it was sci-fi fluff in many ways, but the continuity of the episodes and the planet-hopping treasure hunt as a whole made it a fun watch.

I'll keep an eye out for Paranoia Agent. I dug Perfect Blue but have yet to see his other works.

hmm.. Its not like Cowboy Bebop, but if you like Science Fiction you can try Gundam SEED. I freaking loved it. The world the anime is set in, the technology, the battles, the characters and all the love and hate you can handle. Great, great series. :cool:

Also, I'd like to officially nominate the cool emotion as the best GAF smily ever. Better then the lol one too!

Chrono

Banned
There's a series no one mentioned yet..

Hajime no Ippo

I never believed a sports, or hell even a boxing, anime could be so good! It's 75 episodes though. if you take the plunge, prepare for a big hole in your life when you finish it. :(

You might also want to check out Texhnolyze. It's not for everyone because the pacing can be really slow at times (first ep for example has about a minute of spoken dialog literally). But the story is really well written when everything starts coming together and it's graphic and brutal at times. But you said you wanted an show with a well written story and that's definetly something Texhnolyze has. You've just got to stick with it through the early slow times. The first Vol. 1 is out now, next volume comes out on the 29th of this month.

B0001GF22O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"Speaking of which, I never did find the open/ending songs anywhere. Anyone else have any luck?"

I remember FnordChan mentioning that he was listening to the theme.

Outlaw

Banned
Brandon F said:

The ending was the only thing that kept the series from being in Bebop's league. Other than that, its up there. Awsome characters
thumbs_up.gif

bjork

SolidSnakex said:
Texhnolyze has. You've just got to stick with it through the early slow times. The first Vol. 1 is out now, next volume comes out on the 29th of this month.

Hm... that means we'll probably have it this week, then. Maybe Friday.

Shouta

Avoid Gundam SEED Folken. After knowing you for a few years now, I'd say it's probably not your bag.

Also, don't be fooled by the One Piece fanboys. It's a fairly straightforward shounen combat series. It's better than a good chunk of them but it's still fairly straightforward =p.

If you're looking for something a comedy that pokes fun at Giant Robot series, I'd highly recommend Dai-Guard.

Chrono

Banned
bjork said:
Hm... that means we'll probably have it this week, then. Maybe Friday.

Must be pretty cool to work in an anime store..

EDIT:

Shouta said:
Avoid Gundam SEED Folken. After knowing you for a few years now, I'd say it's probably not your bag.

Curse you Shouta!

Brandon F

Gungrave? Hmm....

Gundam Seed has interested me(I admit to getting into Wing years ago...but I mean YEARS ago), and I did enjoy some of the other series like O8th MS team, 0080+0083, hell the few episodes of Turn A were definately watchable.

I did catch an episode of SEED on Cartoon network but it really didn't take; I changed the channel halfway through. Seemed like a total retread over familiar ground, but with REAL horrible character art. The main kid just freaked me out!

One Piece seems to have such a cult following here. What is the premise anyway?

Belfast

Smart stories, intelligent subject matter(stuff that won't insult my intelligence... the 'Love Hina' syndrome), stylish characterization, witty yet sly heroes and villains. You know something that could possibly ape Bebop I guess. I am in that kinda mood.

I think One Piece kind of transcends its intended age group. Its exterior is very shonen, which means powerful characters and a lot of fighting with an emphasis on friendship and being brave and whatnot. Underneath, though, there's a helluva lot of charm and some well-built characterizations. Would I call it smart? Its not really something that requires a brain to understand, but its not mind-numbingly retarded either. There's some legitimate drama and the grand scale of things really emphasizes a higher level of engagement in the plots and characters.

Intelligent subject matter? Intelligent enough, I'd say. The characters definitely deal with some complex issues and interesting conflicts. The current fansubbed story arc, Arabasta, centers around a princess trying to stop a revolt within her kingdom which is suffering from a combination of distrust in their king and a serious drought. This is all being aggrivated by a mysterious individual basically pulling some underhanded shit to stir the pot and turn the kingdom into his own utopia. This is intertwined with a number of other underlying threads that I'd rather not spoil should you choose to get into the series. So the stories do not just center around "RAWWRRR!!! I'M THE STRONGEST!!!! LET'S FIGHT!!!" There is some real emotional complexity invested in them.

And best of all, there's almost ZERO fanservice in OP. So no Love Hina syndrome.

As for stylish characters? Got em in SPADES. Just about every character Oda (he created One Piece) comes up with is totally unique. You're not going to see endless numbers of spiky-haired clones here. Oda's sense od style is totally his own and he's definitely one of the more unique artists working in the manga/anime biz.

Witty and sly characters? Plenty of those, too.

I would love to say you'd like it, as most people who pick it up get hooked, but who really knows until you actually look into it? The only thing to watch out for is that the first few episodes aren't THAT great and while the first couple arcs are entertaining enough, people will tell you that the series doesn't really get going until the Arlong Arc which is about 30-40 episodes in. It may seem silly to say that, but One Piece is a long series without an end in sight right now. So when all is said and done, Episode 40 or so is still pretty early on. :)

Edit: I forgot to explain the premise. Basically the greatest pirate who ever lived, Gold Roger (or Gol D. Roger depending on who you ask ;)) has been captured and executed. Before he dies, he makes known that his greatest treasure, the One Piece, lies in the Grand Line. This sets off the great Age of Piracy where people from all over the world are attempting to find the One Piece. The main character, Luffy D. Monkey, is rescued from a sea monster by a pirate named Shanks whose crew regularly stops in his town. Shanks loses an arm in the process and before leaving port, gives Luffy his straw hat telling him to return it to him someday when he becomes the pirate king. So, basically, when the simple-minded Luffy gets older, he decides that he's going to become King of the Pirates and find the One Piece. Seeing that he idolized Shanks as a kid, he ate the Gum Gum Fruit in an attempt to gain his respect. The Gum Gum Fruit is one of a number of different objects called "Devil Fruits" that appear throughout the series which endow whoever eats them with a certain power at the cost of their ability to swim (obviously, this can be a problem in a water-dominant society). Luffy's power is his ability to stretch like rubber. What basically ensues is a grand adventure as he travels the world finding crew members, encountering trouble, gaining a reputation, and hopefully, ultimately finding the One Piece and becoming the Pirate King.

bjork

Chrono said:
Must be pretty cool to work in an anime store..

To properly reply to this, allow me to channel this character:
randal.gif

My job would be great if it wasn't for the fuckin' customers...

Shouta

You hit the nail on the head Folken. SEED is more or less a retread of everything that's happened in Gundam since its inception except the character designs make eyes bleed. It's done by a great director but the series just plays out like a old hat unlike Gear Fighter Dendoh or Cyber Formula (the director's two previous works).

bjork

Magic Shopping Arcade rules.

It's kind of like Quantam Leap... they're in the same neighborhood in each episode, but it's always a different era in time. One episode is like the 1930s, another is dinosaurs, etc.

Chrono

Banned
Now and Then, Here and There is a great series. You should definitley check it out. I have the boxset and have watched it twice.

Gundam SEED I guess won't be so great if you've seen some of the past Gundams-- Like shouta said a lot of elements are taken from other Gundams. Me? I've never watched a Gundam anime except SEED so I guess that's why I love it so much. ^__^

Brandon F

Yea I loved Now and Then, Here and There. A real poignant series that was masterfully directed with careful execution. Great stuff, but I'm in the mood for something Bebop-ish again. Badass situations, badass anti-heroes.

I might try out One Piece and see if it grabs me. Sounds quirky and all. Umm...care to PM me a link to it? :D

Zaptruder

Banned
Bebop is was one of the best SHOWS ever made...

While, no there hasn't been anything in the last 5 years that has rivalled its greatness, there have been plenty of pretty damn good anime released in that time period... enough to give you plenty of entertainment.

But I doubt much can match the total package that is Cowboy Bebop.

I'll say this clear out.

Stand Alone Complex is better than Bebop in every way.

One Piece is highly recommended for what it is, though. The entire Arlong arc is like solid gold, and man, although its probably years away from even a fansub, the Davy Back fight is the most thrilling comedy fight I've seen.

Belfast

Years is right. We may be 9 months-year before finishing Arabasta (unless K-F comes through with a miracle and starts releasing episodes at more than 1 a week, and the 1 a week thing is during summer only, really). Filler arcs/Skypiea will likely take a similar amount of time. :( We're in for the long haul, that's for sure.

bjork

There's only about 30 episodes to go for the current arc...

Never mind, that IS a while at one per week. :(

Belfast

Yep. That's more than half a year, and like I said, accounting for the fact that it may revert to one episode every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks once summer is over....oi. I respect K-F for what it does, but sometimes I really wish a bigger group was doing this.

Chrono

Banned
I think I've seen One Piece as one of the projects Anime-infinity wants to do. There was a thread for "help wanted" fansub groups used on animesuki and A-infinity listed one piece as a project and said they're looking for more members or something like that. Maybe I should go check again..

EDIT:

Just checked again... It's part of the "projects planned" list and it's a big freaking list. More like a wish list. :p

I'm gonna ask in that thread why won't any fansub group take on One Piece. heh I'm not starting a fansubs group or have one so I'd prolly get kicked over this. I don't post much anyway. :p

EDIT 2: forget that. One Piece is licensed now. That means I might get perm banned from the forums. >_<

J2 Cool

Who cares about what year it was made, check out Berserk. Dont judge it by the 1st episode because its completely different from what follows. Give that a few discs if you can rent it though. I started watching it after I finished Cowboy Bebop and it slowly but surely surpassed Cowboy Bebop on a whole as a series for me. They're 1-2 as far as anime go though. Stick with it though, it begins to get insanely good.

Made in '97 btw

Brandon F

Berserk was ok. I actually really dug episode 1 and the final couple. Everything else in between just didn't excite me much. I'd probably dig a second season far more than what we got.

Rahxephon wasn't too shabby. I never watched the final few episodes, so I'm not sure exactly how it all ended, but it was recommended by a bunch of people here awile back and I took the plunge. For what it was, it succeeded in keeping me interested at least. I liked Gasaraki more though(as slow as that show can be).

Hmm...I haven't watched too much anime the past couple years, but it actually seems like I haven't REALLY missed out on much.

Zaptruder

Banned
J2 Cool said:
Who cares about what year it was made, check out Berserk. Dont judge it by the 1st episode because its completely different from what follows. Give that a few discs if you can rent it though. I started watching it after I finished Cowboy Bebop and it slowly but surely surpassed Cowboy Bebop on a whole as a series for me. They're 1-2 as far as anime go though. Stick with it though, it begins to get insanely good.

Made in '97 btw

As for personal IMO, I can easily accept that bebop may not hold first spot.

But in terms of an objective view... Very little, maybe nothing stands up to the awesomeness of Bebop.

Awesome animation (even by todays standards), incredible music, superb characterizations, just a massively good sense of style... a plausible and cool setting... awesome designs... great character conflicts, great fight scenes. Great pacing; it gave us the main arc as well as giving us a good amount of 'fillers' that built the characters nicely... Even the production of it was good; The team had alot of fun making Bebop; it was something built on a stylish integrity, rather than been forced.

Berserk is awesome in its own ways... but as a whole, it doesn't quite match up with Bebop; which is definetly one of the more rewatchable animes around (thanks to its episodic nature and just... great everything).

Brandon F said:
Rahxephon wasn't too shabby. I never watched the final few episodes, so I'm not sure exactly how it all ended, but it was recommended by a bunch of people here awile back and I took the plunge.

Well what the hell, guy, go buy/grab those last few eps and watch them. If there is one thing RahXephon did better than 99% of the anime out there, it was the last two eps. BONES knows wtf they are doing when it comes to endings.

Deadstar, you have good taste.

Anyhow, I would normally recommend Overman King Gainer, but hey, what can you do when its licensed, not scheduled to hit R1 DVD for probably six months, and basically had no fansub coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom