• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Burger King employees here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a summer job, i figured i might as well go flip burgers with the current shitty job market.

Ex fast food employees, what are you expriences working for a fast food chain?

must be pretty low working at fastfood though..........sigh per haps i should just go on welfare :)

Would you like an apple pie with thaaat?

Seriously, there's gotta be something better you can find, no? Fast food jobs are the worst.

Ferrio

Banned
It's not as bad as you think. Well least it wasn't for me. I was able to land closing, which was OK for the most part, a lot of shitty nights but a lot of them were good laughs too. Though fuck it's stressful.

Tuvoc

if you're gonna work in food, go work at a pizza place. They're so much better than nasty burger joints.

Yeah, I'll agree it can be fun, but the pay is pretty much minimum wage, or barely above.

I used to work at Little Caesars Pizza, and there were some fun times along with the back-breaking stressful times. Another terrible thing is going home reeking of the food.

There were a few benefits, such as being able to eat/make as much pizza as you wanted, and trading with other places, like with the movie theater for free passes. I'm sure we weren't supposed to do these things, of course...

Tuvoc said:
if you're gonna work in food, go work at a pizza place. They're so much better than nasty burger joints.

Exactly what I was thinking.

beerbelly

Banned
heavy liquid said:

Seriously, there's gotta be something better you can find, no? Fast food jobs are the worst.

As far as I know, only females ask those questions since they usually get the cashier shifts. Guys get to flip burgers, do fries and some lobby-cleaning (worst part of job). I think you'll be a little overwhelmed at first if you've never worked at a fastfood restaurant. But once you get used to it, it's like second nature and you'll be able to do things really fast and actually enjoy doing it, like I have in the past. Plus you can meet a lot of really cool people in the kitchen and you guys will have fun joking around with the orders. The only downside is you may get a customer service shift a week where you have to clean tables, mop the floors in the lobby. To me this shift is very degrading because you have strangers staring at you while you clear out the garbage and wipe messes. In the end though, you won't gain any essential skills from working here other than being able to flip beef patties.

Goreomedy said:
Hit up grocery stores before you consider a burger joint.

Already applied for jobs at grocery stores. I'm waiting for a phone call. 20 hours a week isn't that much but thats all i want to do.

To me this shift is very degrading because you have strangers staring at you while you clear out the garbage and wipe messes.

I was afraid of this, i'll probably hate myself cleaning tables while people look at me in a strange way.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I worked at McDonald's for a few years, and it was a really stressful experience for the most part. I did everything -- cashier, kitchen, DT -- and in almost all cases we were horrendously understaffed. It gave me an appreciation of the job a little bit more, because there were some Saturday mornings that were just INSANE.

But, as others have said, I do have the occasional fun memory of the place...though I would imagine that would occur at any job.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Ferrio said:
My experience at a grocery store was FAR worse than fast food.

Oh? How so?

Being a cashier while in school is probably one of the better, low-responsibility jobs I've had.

Ferrio

Banned
The chain sucked ass.

Both cashiers and baggers were paid 5.50 an hour, yet baggers got tips. Cashiers were responsible for anything over/under 2 dollars on their till. Cashiers would have to stand infront of their register to flag down more customers while baggers usually were jacking off in the back doing nothing.

All the teenage staff was treated really lousy since this was in a big suburb next to a high school so the place was like a swinging door. If anyone didn't like they job they could easily find new replacements

darscot

Fast Food is fun if your doing it for a few bucks and just enjoy it. I worked at both Burger King and McDonalds. McDonalds is far more cult like then Burger King. If you don't take it seriously it can be allot of fun. I ended up getting fired from both and had a great time at both. Getting fired was the best part.

Ferrio said:
The chain sucked ass.

Both cashiers and baggers were paid 5.50 an hour, yet baggers got tips. Cashiers were responsible for anything over/under 2 dollars on their till. Cashiers would have to stand infront of their register to flag down more customers while baggers usually were jacking off in the back doing nothing.

All the teenage staff was treated really lousy since this was in a big suburb next to a high school so the place was like a swinging door. If anyone didn't like they job they could easily find new replacements

Sounds just like my job. I started at $5.30 and after 7 months I finally made it to $5.55. I probably won't get another raise until the week I have to quit to go off to college. They are cheap like that.

Anyway being a stock boy is quite possibly the dumbest job you'll ever have. You read numbers on cases. Match those numbers to numbers on the tags and put the case out. A trained monkey could handle that task.

Plus my manager is a asshole.

Be careful about grocery stores.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Bad management will ruin any job.

Don't be afraid to leave an abusive situation, when you're working fast food, grocery, calling center, etc. Low wage/responsibility jobs are plentiful these days in the Bush economy.

I really, really don't like my job at Wendys right now. I think I'm pretty much screwed though at this point, because I only have 2 months left before college starts again, and I don't think many places would want to hire me for only 2 months.

mattx5

I got a job working at McDonalds, but I'll be damned if they think I'm still going to be working there by the time Christmas rolls around.

It's not a horrible job by any means, you get some decent benefits, my managers are nice, but fuck is it stressful. Some days I get so nervous before going in because I know how much shit I'm going to have to deal with.

Like the other day-

We're having a rush, we've only got one guy in the kitchen, and me on cash. I take two people's orders, I can't take a third without having to make them wait a long ass time for their food. Well this lady who's in third, who I haven't served yet, is getting her fucking panties in a bunch. She's one of those bitchy, power walker types (Either jog, or walk, don't pretend). She's pumping her arms as she makes her way up to the cash. "Excuse me, hey, yo, can you take my order please, come on, hurry". Fine, she'll have to wait, I really don't give a fuck. I take her order, tell her it'll be awhile. "I don't have awhile". Well fuck you lady. I'm grabbing whatever I can for the other orders, I get one of the orders that was on backlog done. Now I can focus on the next customer. Too bad the biotch won't let me. "Excuse me, I'm in a rush, let's go, let's go". Her food was still being made. I'm making my other customer's order when her burger is ready. Just her burger. She interrupts me, comes up behind the counter and starts pointing towards her burger. She pushes aside the other customers, starts telling me what to do. "Okay, see that, that's a hamburger. Put it in the bag for me. Now see those, those are fries. Put those in the bag for me. Now see that, that's a cup, we drink from that. Give me one of those." Hey bitch, why don't you shut the fuck up. "Hurry, hurry, now get me some apple slices, hurry, okay, bye". She pushes aside some more customers, they start whispering under their breath, and she turns around, because she heard. Oh shit. "Excuse me?" One of the customers tells her to relax. "Fuck off, I'm in a hurry". She storms off. I apologize to the customers, and get them there food. I have no clue where the fuck my manager was then, probably taking the trash out or something. Just as I finish getting the customers their food, the lady comes back. She forgot her sunglasses. One of the customers makes a comment. Then.... all out war.

"Ha, you forgot your sunglasses. Maybe if you slowed down a bit."

"Oh, you know what. Fuck you bitch. Fuck you. Fuck off!"

The customer's husband comes up to defend her.

"Fuck you woman, you're crazy, get out of here if you're in such a hurry."

"Oh, fuck off old man."

"No, fuck you! You crazy bitch! Screw you!"

The lady storms off, swearing her head off. Meanwhile, there's like a bunch of five year olds in the restaurant with their hands over their ears.

Fucking crazy bitch.

Working fast food is fucking crazy stressful. That's just one example. I've had people come up to me and try to order their food in Russian, despite the fact that the employees only speak English or French (I work in Montreal). Other times, you'll just have disgruntled people who don't know what they're ordering, then bitch at you for giving them the wrong thing.

But, for all the bad events, there are some happy memories..... but not as many :(

darscot

McDonalds is not stressful. Stress is self induced. Why do you care what the freaks in the freak kingdom do. Just kick back and enjoy. Keep sight of what your doing you feeding people crap that will eventualy kill them. Starving to death waiting would probable be better for them.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
mattx5 said:
I got a job working at McDonalds, but I'll be damned if they think I'm still going to be working there by the time Christmas rolls around.

It's not a horrible job by any means, you get some decent benefits, my managers are nice, but fuck is it stressful. Some days I get so nervous before going in because I know how much shit I'm going to have to deal with.

Like the other day-

We're having a rush, we've only got one guy in the kitchen, and me on cash. I take two people's orders, I can't take a third without having to make them wait a long ass time for their food. Well this lady who's in third, who I haven't served yet, is getting her fucking panties in a bunch. She's one of those bitchy, power walker types (Either jog, or walk, don't pretend). She's pumping her arms as she makes her way up to the cash. "Excuse me, hey, yo, can you take my order please, come on, hurry". Fine, she'll have to wait, I really don't give a fuck. I take her order, tell her it'll be awhile. "I don't have awhile". Well fuck you lady. I'm grabbing whatever I can for the other orders, I get one of the orders that was on backlog done. Now I can focus on the next customer. Too bad the biotch won't let me. "Excuse me, I'm in a rush, let's go, let's go". Her food was still being made. I'm making my other customer's order when her burger is ready. Just her burger. She interrupts me, comes up behind the counter and starts pointing towards her burger. She pushes aside the other customers, starts telling me what to do. "Okay, see that, that's a hamburger. Put it in the bag for me. Now see those, those are fries. Put those in the bag for me. Now see that, that's a cup, we drink from that. Give me one of those." Hey bitch, why don't you shut the fuck up. "Hurry, hurry, now get me some apple slices, hurry, okay, bye". She pushes aside some more customers, they start whispering under their breath, and she turns around, because she heard. Oh shit. "Excuse me?" One of the customers tells her to relax. "Fuck off, I'm in a hurry". She storms off. I apologize to the customers, and get them there food. I have no clue where the fuck my manager was then, probably taking the trash out or something. Just as I finish getting the customers their food, the lady comes back. She forgot her sunglasses. One of the customers makes a comment. Then.... all out war.

"Ha, you forgot your sunglasses. Maybe if you slowed down a bit."

"Oh, you know what. Fuck you bitch. Fuck you. Fuck off!"

The customer's husband comes up to defend her.

"Fuck you woman, you're crazy, get out of here if you're in such a hurry."

"Oh, fuck off old man."

"No, fuck you! You crazy bitch! Screw you!"

The lady storms off, swearing her head off. Meanwhile, there's like a bunch of five year olds in the restaurant with their hands over their ears.

Fucking crazy bitch.

Working fast food is fucking crazy stressful. That's just one example. I've had people come up to me and try to order their food in Russian, despite the fact that the employees only speak English or French (I work in Montreal). Other times, you'll just have disgruntled people who don't know what they're ordering, then bitch at you for giving them the wrong thing.

But, for all the bad events, there are some happy memories..... but not as many :(
Haha. That's awesome.
Makes me wanna apply at the McDs across the street...

Tenguman

I dunno about working there, but their commercials are awesome.

honestly though, work in food service as a last resort.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
back in school/tech I worked McD's, Pizza delivery and another NZ based fast food restaurant that was going under. McDs was far and away the worst, for how shit the job is the stress level is high and there is absolutely no down time. My shitty managers had stupid phrases that they would chant as they walk past you on an endless mission,

Loser manager "CAYG Guys"
Everyone "Err, what?"
Loser manager "Clean As You GO!"

seriously. crap crap crap.

If there's time to lean, theres time to clean!

Horrible work, just bad. Pizza delivery on the other hand, now theres a kickass job, cruising in your car all day, ring ring, heres your change, bye! cruising some more. I turned my town into a mini racetrack, knew all the shortcuts, had a great time, pity the uniform was pink :(.

The most satisfying thing about working at Mcdonalds was watching all the female shift managers who think McDonalds is a career and are all bitches (no exageration) get PLANET sized from all the free junk food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom