• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any good TV series to watch? I need recommendations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

I'm currently watching the Expanse but not feeling it. Recently I've watched The Crown (great show on Netflix).

Waiting on:

• House of Cards s5
  • Better Call Saul s3
  • Game of Thrones s7
  • 24: Legacy (once it's done so I can binge)

I've already watched:

• Westworld
  • Game of Thrones
  • Black Mirror
  • The Night Of
  • Narcos
  • Stranger Things
  • The Crown
  • Sense8
  • Man in the High Castle
  • The Wire
  • Breaking Bad
  • The Shield
  • Making a Murderer
  • Broadchurch
  • Lost

I haven't watched the OA but I heard it's bad?

Please don't recommend the Marvel Netflix series because they're shit.

I'm partial to newer series. I don't really want to watch an old series (just a preference, feel free to still recommend them).

-----

Recommendations from this thread:

• The Sopranos (9.2)
  • True Detective Season 1 (9.1)
  • Fargo (9.0)
  • Taboo (FX, 8.9)
  • This is Us (8.9)
  • Legion (8.8)
  • Peaky Blinders (8.8)
  • Oz (8.8)
  • Rome (8.8)
  • Downtown Abbey (8.7)
  • Deadwood (8.7)
  • Shameless (8.7)
  • Mr. Robot (8.7)
  • Friday Night Lights (8.7)
  • Vikings (8.7)
  • Atlanta (FX, 8.6)
  • Justified (8.6)
  • Mad Men (8.6)
  • Hannibal (8.6)
  • Boardwalk Empire (8.6)
  • Luther (8.6)
  • The Newsroom (8.6)
  • Spartacus (8.6)
  • The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX, 8.5)
  • Person of Interest (8.5)
  • Outlander (8.5)
  • Rectify (8.4)
  • Sneaky Pete (Amazon, 8.4)
  • Banshee (8.4)
  • The Americans (FX, 8.3)
  • Strike Back (8.3)
  • How to Get Away with Murder (8.3)
  • Longmire (8.3)
  • Halt and Catch Fire (8.3)
  • The Last Kingdom (8.3)
  • Bosch (8.3)
  • Quarry (8.3)
  • Bloodline (Netflix, 8.2)
  • Black Sails (8.2)
  • Into the Badlands (8.1)
  • Marco Polo (Netflix, 8.1)
  • Bates Motel (8.1)
  • The Blacklist (8.1)
  • Designated Survivor (8.0)
  • Travelers (8.0)
  • The Leftovers (8.0)
  • iZombie (8.0)
  • Afterlife (8.0)
  • The OA (7.9)
  • Gotham (7.9)
  • The 100 (7.8)
  • Underground (7.8)
  • Manhattan (7.8)
  • Santa Clarita Diet (7.8)
  • Limitless (7.8)
  • The Startup (7.7)
  • The Good Place (7.7)
  • 3% (Netflix, 7.6)
  • The Magicians (7.5)
  • Dark Matter (7.5)
  • Imposters (Bravo, 7.5)
  • Hap and Leonard (7.3)
  • Colony (7.3)
  • The Catch (7.2)

kmfdmpig

If you like 24 then Strikeback is worth a watch. It takes the action of 24, cuts out the mole nonsense and ramps it up to 11. It doesn't have the most intriguing plots or the best acting (although both are certainly serviceable), but it has great action scenes and is quite fun.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Breaking Bad and the Shield

edit- the shield blew my mind. I finally got around to watching it after all the hype and convos of it being in the GOAT discussion and it only gets better as it goes despite looking lower budget/generic at first glance.

taboo is ok but its a bit slow, if you didn't like the expanse i'm not sure you'd like it

Mr. Robot season 2 is not that good, it might get better with season 3 but i'd just wait

Atlanta is probably the best pick, followed by OJ, followed maybe by Americans (lot of good episodes, a few bad ones, its in season 5 now though so thats like 50 episodes to go through).

You may enjoy Downton Abbey, while it had some really terrible episodes, for an American its a pretty enjoyable watch for the most part

I can't believe someone doesn't like The Expanse :(

Korey

taboo is ok but its a bit slow, if you didn't like the expanse i'm not sure you'd like it

Mr. Robot season 2 is not that good, it might get better with season 3 but i'd just wait

Atlanta is probably the best pick, followed by OJ, followed maybe by Americans (lot of good episodes, a few bad ones, its in season 5 now though so thats like 50 episodes to go through).

You may enjoy Downton Abbey, while it had some really terrible episodes, for an American its a pretty enjoyable watch for the most part

I can't believe someone doesn't like The Expanse :(

Thanks for the reviews!

Lothar

Banned
Westworld. It's doing for me what a TV show hasn't done since Breaking Bad ended. Great acting, excellent cinematography, compelling setting and characters, and a thrilling unpredictable story. It also has Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris being amazing in big roles.

Korey

Westworld. It's doing for me what a TV show hasn't done since Breaking Bad ended. Great acting, excellent cinematography, compelling setting and characters, and a thrilling unpredictable story. It also has Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris being amazing in big roles.

Forgot to mention I already watched this.

TheExodu5

Banned
The 100 starts off a bit weak but it's one of the most entertaining shows on TV at the moment. Not on the level of an HBO series in terms of acting or production values, but a gripping series nonetheless. Once you get to season 2 there are some serious LOST vibes, in a great way.

Going by your history I'm pretty sure it would be right up your alley.

Karu

The Leftovers - in my humble opinion one of the best TV dramas of alltime, which will conclude with its finale season in the coming month. It's really short also, so not much of a huge commitment. You hcan't have two things, though...
a. an aversion against spirituality
b. a hate-boner for Damon Lindelof
You don't? Go watch it!

Rectify - in my humble opinion one of the best TV dramas of alltime, which concluded last year with its finale season. It's rather short also, so not much of a huge commitment. You can't have one thing, though...
a. an aversion against spirituality
If you have? Still watch it. It is mind-blowingly good.

Korey

The 100 starts off a bit weak but it's one of the most entertaining shows on TV at the moment. Not on the level of an HBO series in terms of acting or production values, but a gripping series nonetheless. Once you get to season 2 there are some serious LOST vibes, in a great way.

I think I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

Agent_J

Did seriously nobody recommend The Sopranos? Shame on you, GAF. I know it's well over 4 years old, but if you've never seen it - you owe it to yourself.

TB14

Currently watching: Legion and The Americans
Looking forward to: Better Call Saul, Fargo, and Twin Peaks

Since you've already seen Better Call Saul, I guess you could replace it with something like True Detective S1.

ElRenoRaven

Superstore. They're in Season 2 now and have been renewed for 3. If you've ever worked a store like Wal Mart, etc then you'll love it.

Korey

Just to adjust my expectations (I know it starts slow now), when does it start picking up? Season 2? End of Season 1?

Season 5 of The Americans just started, it's one of the best TV shows currently running, although very methodical and slow at times, I'd say check it out.

god damn, how is Sopranos not on OPs list. it's a must.

The Sopranos for sure.

Black Sails and Friday Night Lights are great.

Did seriously nobody recommend The Sopranos? Shame on you, GAF. I know it's well over 4 years old, but if you've never seen it - you owe it to yourself.

there we go.

if you're in the mood for action then check out Strike Back (start with season 2 with the new cast). The first two parter is a great Die Hard sequel. basically every episode after that is a fun action movie.

Bluth54

I recommend Shameless, it's one of the best shows on TV and it's on Netflix. American Crime Story, Rectify, The Americans and Dark Matter are all good too.

Spladam

I saw The Americans has already been recommended, you probably won't regret that. I personally thought The Expanse was ok, but I have to recommend Black Sails, I'm watching the first season now, it has an OT here on GAF, check it out.

Of all the ones already recommended I can vouch for Shameless and Mr Robot, they are pretty top notch.

I see Peaky Blinders has not been recommended yet either, that is pretty awesome. It's still on Netflix I believe.

Other than that, check out Into the Badlands, especially if you like some good Hong Kong cinema style action, it has a decent plot and some really good characters. Don't know if it has an OT here. Just finished season one and I liked it, enjoy.

P.S. I see you have The Wire in your recommendations, that is the single best thing I've ever seen on the small screen. Do yourself a favor, stop what you are doing now, and freaking go watch that. Close your browser now. Go. Go watch it. Immediately. Report back when you are done. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom