• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any good TV series to watch? I need recommendations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

I saw The Americans has already been recommended, you probably won't regret that. I personally thought The Expanse was ok, but I have to recommend Black Sails, I'm watching the first season now, it has an OT here on GAF, check it out.

Of all the ones already recommended I can vouch for Shameless and Mr Robot, they are pretty top notch.

I see Peaky Blinders has not been recommended yet either, that is pretty awesome. It's still on Netflix I believe.

Other than that, check out Into the Badlands, especially if you like some good Hong Kong cinema style action, it has a decent plot and some really good characters. Don't know if it has an OT here. Just finished season one and I liked it, enjoy.

P.S. I see you have The Wire in your recommendations, that is the single best thing I've ever seen on the small screen. Do yourself a favor, stop what you are doing now, and freaking go watch that. Close your browser now. Go. Go watch it. Immediately. Report back when you are done. That is all.

The Wire is in my already seen list. Check again! Yea, it was good. Probably the most immersive show I've ever seen. Like it's real life or something.

Spladam

The Wire is in my already seen list. Check again! Yea, it was good. Probably the most immersive show I've ever seen. Like it's real life or something.

Oh, ok then, sorry. Yeah, real life like and immersive are both good adjectives for it.

Rolfgang

Why hasn't Black Sails been recommended yet? Go watch it, OP, it's currently running it's final fourth season (the choice of the producers, it's not being cancelled) and in my opinion it's one of the best shows ever made. Some people find the first half of the first season a bit hard to go through because of the slower pace, but when it picks up steam... oh boy.

Korey

Why hasn't Black Sails been recommended yet? Go watch it, OP, it's currently running it's final fourth season (the choice of the producers, it's not being cancelled) and in my opinion it's one of the best shows ever made. Some people find the first half of the first season a bit hard to go through because of the slower pace, but when it picks up steam... oh boy.

Thanks, several people have rec'd it and I've added it to my list. I'll check it out!

venom473

Definitely give The Americans a shot.

Haven't seen a recommendation for Vikings yet, maybe that's something you would enjoy.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I've recently watching Bloodline and it's been great so far.
Indeed, Bloodline is wonderful.

Looking at this thread, is also say Mr Robot, Rectify and Legion.

Both Recitify and Bloodline are top notch character dramas, so if you're in the mood for that, hit those two up first.

Longmire.

I recently got hooked on it. Great writing that really pulls you in. The way it covers the interaction between Native American culture and American culture is well done. It is about a small town sheriff and is episodic but with plot lines that develop over seasons too. The 6th and final season will be filmed soon, but yhe rest are on Netflix now.

Dali

The santa Clarita diet on Netflix is freaking hilarious and gross at the same time. Timothy Oliphant's character when he's struggling to put a positive spin on his wife's zombism or show support in the worst of situations made me laugh everytime.

kurahador

Only one mention of iZombie.
For shame gaf, for shame....

The Good Place
iZombie
Agents of SHIELD
Colony
Prison Break - older than 4 years, but there's a new comeback season coming.

Pluto

Only one mention of iZombie.
For shame gaf, for shame....
I agree. :)

OP, why no shows that are older than 4 years? There's some phenomenal tv out there you're missing by only watching current shows.

Freaks and Geeks
Friday Night Lights
Parks and Recreation
Battlestar Galactica (2003)

haikira

zlTOgl4.jpg
True Detective Season 1 (2014 - IMDB 9.1)
Haven't seen the second season which has a pretty bad reputation, but the first is amazing, and since it's an anthology series it can be watched on it's own.

Fargo Season 1-2 (2014 - IMDB 9.0)
Honestly one of my all time favourite shows, and going by the ones you've already listed, I can't believe this isn't among them. I'd definitely check it out.

There's also a third season coming out in April around the same time as Better Call Saul, and it's got one hell of a cast yet again.

Person of Interest Season 1-5 (2011–2016 - IMDB 8.5)
It took a while to really get going in my opinion, and because it does case of the week episodes there are definitely a few duds from time to time.

I'd still give it a strong recommendation though, as it only gets better as it goes on, and when it's good, it's damn good.

Few others I like that fit the criteria:
Ash vs Evil Dead
Halt and Catch Fire
Justified
Luther

Shows I've been recommended that fit the criteria:
Bosch
The Last Kingdom
Sneaky Pete

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if you like Game of Thrones you might enjoy The Last Kingdom (8.3 on IMDb). It's about the Danish occupation of 9th century England and the king of Wessex uniting the people to fight back. Doesn't quite have the political machinations of Game of Thrones, but it has more of an adventurey feel. The second season is out soon and it's looking very good; I'd recommend it.

Also, it's a lot older than your three year limit (if that really matters?), but I would also recommend Afterlife (8.0 on IMDb) which is about a woman who's an unwitting medium is haunted by lots of ghosts, literally and figuratively. Andrew Lincoln is also in it as an author who's writing a book about her, who kind of plays like the Mulder to her Scully, if you like. It's a good, creepy series which has kind of the same feel as The Sixth Sense.

mclem

Here's where I get out my Great Drama List and update it, since it's a year or two old now. It's got a British leaning. There may well be some repeats in here, it's quite a venerable list now!

Life on Mars [IMDB: 8.3] (Plus the followup series, Ashes to Ashes [IMDB: 8.2])
Hustle [IMDB: 8.2]
Spooks [IMDB: 8.3] (MI:5 over in the US).
Cracker [IMDB: 8.5]
House of Cards [IMDB: 8.6] (The original. Plus the followup series, To Play The King [IMDB: 8.5] and The Final Cut [IMDB: 8.2])
GBH [IMDB: 8.8]
The Singing Detective [IMDB: 8.8]
Our Friends In The North [IMDB: 8.7]
This Life [IMDB: 8.6]
Auf Wiedersehen Pet [IMDB: 8.6]
Boys from the Blackstuff [IMDB: 8.7]
Takin' Over The Asylum [IMDB: 8.9]
Edge of Darkness [IMDB: 8.6]
Talking Heads [IMDB: 8.6] (Talking Heads 2: [IMDB: 8.7])
Messiah [IMDB: 8.0]
State of Play [IMDB: 8.5]
Call the Midwife [IMDB: 8.4] (Not for everyone, of course, but it's really not as twee as the premise sounds!)
Sherlock [IMDB: 9.2]
Happy Valley [IMDB: 8.5]
Line of Duty [IMDB: 8.4]
The Night Manager [IMDB: 8.2]
Black Mirror [IMDB: 8.9]
Inside No. 9 [IMDB: 8.4] (An anthology series, so somewhat patchy, but the second episode of series 2 - The Twelve Days Of Christine - is phenomenal [IMDB: 9.3])
Being Human [IMDB: 7.8]
In The Flesh [IMDB: 8.1]
The Wrong Mans [IMDB: 7.9] (Strictly speaking, it's a comedy, but it's a parody of thrillers that is, in turn, actually quite a good thriller in itself)
Taboo [IMDB: 8.9]
Broadchurch [IMDB: 8.4]
Death in Paradise [IMDB: 7.9] (Light detective series set on a carribean island. Not terribly gritty, but good escapism)
The Missing [IMDB: 8.2]
Luther [IMDB: 8.6]

I haven't yet got into the Scandi-drama craze that's going on a lot here, but the big names I've heard of in that regard:
The Killing [IMDB: 8.4]
The Bridge [IMDB: 8.6]
Borgen [IMDB: 8.5]

Since the stuff you're favouring in the OP seems to lean towards quite serious thrillery stuff, I've bolded the things that I think that you would take to. I'm guessing, here, somewhat - the non-bolded stuff is also brilliant, just not me immedate idea of what you might like based on the OP list.

Edit: I'd missed the 'recent' requirement, and a fair bit of this list is quite old. Narrowing down the above to stuff that's had new episodes in the last few years:

Call the Midwife (Not for everyone, of course, but it's really not as twee as the premise sounds!)
Sherlock
Happy Valley
Line of Duty
The Night Manager
Black Mirror
Inside No. 9 (An anthology series, so somewhat patchy, but the second episode of series 2 - The Twelve Days Of Christine - is phenomenal)
In The Flesh
The Wrong Mans (Strictly speaking, it's a comedy, but it's a parody of thrillers that is, in turn, actually quite a good thriller in itself)
Taboo
Broadchurch
Death in Paradise (Light detective series set on a carribean island. Not terribly gritty, but good escapism)
The Missing
Luther
Borgen

Throwing my hat in the ring for the Sopranos. The series finale was almost 10 years ago (!).

It's probably the single most influential American TV show of the past 20 years. Oz pioneered the "HBO Style" but watching the Sopranos, is where it becomes really evident what show perfected it. Aside from technological anachronism, it is not at all a dated show either. Oz feels like a show from the 90's. The Sopranos is a really modern show with many of the tropes you see in modern TV first perfected by the Sopranos.

Other than that, Bojack Horseman. It starts off as a Family Guy wannabe but then morphs into an incredibly realistic portrayal of depression.

PaulLFC

Based on what you've watched already, Person of Interest sounds ideal. It's also an amazing show, especially from Season 2 onwards.

Halt and Catch Fire is excellent also.

kmfdmpig

The Night Manager is a good recommendation. If you like Bond movies, but wish they were smarter, better, and less ridiculous then the Night Manager is a great option.

Gomorrah
Humans
The Knick
Deadwood
Animal Kingdom
Southland (best god damn show no one watched)
Moone Boy
The Wrong Mans
Review
Treme
Top of the Lake
Terriers

TheExodu5

Banned
Just to adjust my expectations (I know it starts slow now), when does it start picking up? Season 2? End of Season 1?

I'd say after the first few episodes it starts coming into its own fairly well. Then season 2 is a marked jump in quality.

What I just realized in this thread is how pointless IMDB ratings are.

The 100...7.8! Thats almost at the score of multi-emmy winning shows

Mifune

Mehmber
Penny Dreadful.

Can't believe nobody recommended it yet. It's Victorian horror with literary characters and absolutely fantastic acting.

Penny Dreadful.

Can't believe nobody recommended it yet. It's Victorian horror with literary characters and absolutely fantastic acting.

I thought the first season showed a lot of promise but it went downhill after that. It feels like they didn't know where they wanted to go with the show and didn't expect to have more than one season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom