• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody Else Out There More Excited For The Upcoming Handheld Consoles....

Grubdog said:
Yeah but PSP titles are possible on PS2, and could have been done years ago, DS titles can't be done on any other gaming system, which is why i'm mainly excited for the DS, to see all the new ideas developers come up with, it should be very interesting.

I see what you're saying now, but I'm surprised no arguments have broken out yet. Even with some of the awkward PSP comments near the start of the thread. It's just kind of humorous. But anyways, I agree with you to a certain extent. I don't feel as if the PSP quite has a purpose in handheld gaming, at least not with Nintendo in the picture. The PSP runs on rather recent hardware (PS2 basically) and it does feel awkward buying titles that are either already on the PS2, releases at the same time on the PS2, or for some reason or another not put ont he PS2. While the DS games main core can be emulated by machines today and some even the N64, the whole touch/dual screen idea cannot, I think that alone makes it a bit more of a viable option. People have said that the PSP is what's going to give the handheld industry the "kick in the pants" but I don't see this. It's sporting better graphics, a movie player (Which I'm really interested in seeing how Sony's going to get plenty of movies on board), and and a subpar audio set up (IMO small memory sticks are a worthless way of storing music). But at the same time with our current knowledge and speculation on that a higher price value and lower battery life.

Agent X

Lost Weekend said:
So how about you? Would you take a PSP or NDS over one of the upcoming consoles?

Oh hell yeah! This is due to a combination of reasons:

1. We don't really know much information about the PlayStation 3, Revolution, or X-Box 2 compared to what has been revealed about the PSP or DS.
2. The PSP and DS are the first really major handhelds to be produced in a few years, since the GBA. The GBASP doesn't count hwew because it's just a remodeled GBA. The N-Gage and Zodiac have some nice features, but I question the longevity of both platforms from a gaming perspective. The PSP and DS really seem to be kicking things up a notch as far as handheld games go, from both the hardware and software sides of things.
3. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for handheld video game systems. :)

Lost Weekend said:
Could you see yourself satisfied as a portable gamer only?

Hmm...probably not only a portable gamer, but I could see a portable system taking a large (even dominant) chunk of my gaming time. I got a Lynx in 1990, and for a couple of years that was one of my main gaming systems (replacing my Atari 7800 in that regard, and about even with my Commodore 64).

Lost Weekend said:
Are you currently playing your GBA more than your home console?

Not quite, but it's close. Even though I often express dissatisfaction at the state of the GBA library, and haven't bought a GBA game in over six months, the truth is that I play it nearly as much as my PlayStation 2 (which I consider my primary game console at this time). So, the GBA must be doing something right. ;)

jarrod

Banned
Dan said:
I'm not excited for any part of the next generation. I'm going to live off the GBA and GC for as long as possible.
Are't you a writer for GBA Central? Why the sudden switch to DS Central? :(

jarrod

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
Are there going to be big releases on GBA post-DS release?
In the US in 2005...

Confirmed
-The Legend of Zelda: The Magical Hood (Nintendo/Capcom)
-Donkey Kong: King of Swing (Nintendo/Paon)
-Mario Tennis (Nintendo/Camelot)
-The King of Fighters A (SNK NeoGeo)
-It's Mr Pants! (THQ/Rare)
-Disney's Magical Quest 3 starring Mickey & Donald (Capcom)
-Grand Theft Auto Advance (Take 2/tba)

Rumored/Likely
-Puyo Pop Fever (Sega/Sonic Team)
-SNK Vs Capcom (SNK NeoGeo)
-Halo Advance (THQ/tba)
-Killer Instinct 1&2 (THQ/Rare)
-Final Fantasy III Advance (Nintendo/Square Enix)
-Donkey Kong Country 3 (Nintendo/Rare)
-Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue (Nintendo/Alpha Dream)
-Fire Emblem II (Nintendo/Intelligent Systems)
-Earthbound Advance (Nintendo)
-Wario Ware Inc. 2 (Nintendo)
-F-Zero Climax (Nintendo/Suzac)
-Custom Robo Advance (Nintendo/Noise)
-Downtown Samurai Advance (Atlus/Million)
-World Cup Soccer Advance (Atlus/Million)

...and others sure to come. GBA support will definitely slow next year and start the move to DS but you can still expect strong GBA support probably until 2006/7.

jarrod said:

I was wondering about this too, it especially sucks at the moment because none of the reviews and such are up and it feels like a clean slate. I haven't been paying much attention, but I assume you guys are going to put up all the old content right?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>The SP has got some a big installed base and the gfx is still good enough to not need a replacement. Especially if its 2d gaming.<<<

Obviously you've never seen Guilty Gear X2.

Subitai

Naw. Except for Advance Wars and Pokemon, handheld games just don't do as much for me. Most games I'd prefer on a monitor or TV. Handhelds for me are more of a convience to satisfy my gaming fix when I can't be infront of a TV or monitor to play.

arter_2

i just like the conveinence of having a game system with me when ever i get bored which seems to happen alot.

Well PSP can kiss my ass, i wont pay €300 or €400, (which is the probably price here for Europe) to play ps2 games on a portable that will last 3 hours, if i want to play on home ill rather play ps2 which will probably have the same games too. And i find a bit odd the whole movie UMD thing, i dont buy that many DVD's because they're well not that cheap, and because of this i find hard that pple will buy UMD movies where they can only play them on PSP(and on a small screen).......at least initially......
Regarding DS dependes on the price and if the games are interesting, but since its compatible with GBA then i might end up getting one if i manage to sell my GBA.....

jarrod

Banned
neptunes said:
it would be cool if sony enabled umd on their future dvd players.
I think the small disc size coupled with the disc caddies would make that a difficult and inefficent extra for consumer DVD players. Most consumers wouldn't want it anyway.

AniHawk

jarrod said:
In the US in 2005...

Confirmed
-The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Nintendo/Capcom)
-Final Fantasy I+II Advance (Nintendo/Square Enix)
-Donkey Kong: King of Swing (Nintendo/Paon)
-Mario Tennis (Nintendo/Camelot)
-The King of Fighters A (SNK NeoGeo)
-It's Mr Pants! (THQ/Rare)

Rumored/Likely
-Advance Guardian Heroes (Sega/Treasure)
-Puyo Pop Fever (Sega/Sonic Team)
-SNK Vs Capcom (SNK NeoGeo)
-Halo Advance (THQ/tba)
-Final Fantasy III Advance (Nintendo/Square Enix)
-Donkey Kong Country 3 (Nintendo/Rare)
-Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue (Nintendo/Alpha Dream)
-MegaMan Battle Network 5 (Capcom)
-Classic NES Series 2 (Nintendo/various)
-Fire Emblem II (Nintendo/Intelligent Systems)
-Earthbound Advance (Nintendo)
-Downtown Samurai Advance (Atlus/Million)
-World Cup Soccer Advance (Atlus/Million)

...and others sure to come. GBA support will definitely slow next year and start the move to DS but you can still expect strong GBA support probably until 2006/7.

Add to the rumored/likely list, Fire Emblem III (IX).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
jarrod said:

Yes, I'll continue to be the editor of all the GBA content while others push on with the DS, since I honestly have no intention of buying it, at least not within the next year. I can't keep up with everything I want for the GBA and GC, so there isn't a chance in hell I'm shelling out cash for another platform that doesn't have much appealing software for me. The switch is to accomodate/embrace the future, for better or worse, and it was a good opportunity to completely redo the backend. We'll still be covering the major GBA releases, but admittedly less coverage of some of the minor stuff. Otherwise it'll be gearing up for the Nintendo DS in a big way.

DarthWufei said:
I was wondering about this too, it especially sucks at the moment because none of the reviews and such are up and it feels like a clean slate. I haven't been paying much attention, but I assume you guys are going to put up all the old content right?

The old content will be going back up as we find the time, so most of the old reviews, previews, articles and interviews will be back. Obviously there's still more work to be done on the backend, but the old content and features will return and some new stuff too.

neptunes

panasonicmddvd.jpg

this sucka plays MD's and it's from Panasonic.

I'm sure it would be difficult to add a umd drive/slot for future sony products.

jarrod

Banned
Dan said:
Yes, I'll continue to be the editor of all the GBA content while others push on with the DS, since I honestly have no intention of buying it, at least not within the next year. I can't keep up with everything I want for the GBA and GC, so there isn't a chance in hell I'm shelling out cash for another platform that doesn't have much appealing software for me. The switch is to accomodate/embrace the future, for better or worse, and it was a good opportunity to completely redo the backend. We'll still be covering the major GBA releases, but admittedly less coverage of some of the minor stuff. Otherwise it'll be gearing up for the Nintendo DS in a big way.

The old content will be going back up as we find the time, so most of the old reviews, previews, articles and interviews will be back. Obviously there's still more work to be done on the backend, but the old content and features will return and some new stuff too.
Good to hear that the switch won't signal an end to GBA news and that the old content will return too. Any chance that the GBA release list will be brought back and updated though, GBACentral usually had the best most accurate listing around?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Please do not kill me for bumping an older thread, but we've recieved alot more information on the PSP and the NDS, and the next generation consoles since I first posed this question (and I think it's better than me creating an entirely new thread for the same purposes)

I'm going to change the question up a bit now. One, do you have a greater appreciation for handheld gaming than you did before all the talk of NDS vs PSP? Two, do you have a greater anticipation for the next generation handhelds than you do for the next generation consoles?

Go.

cvxfreak

Seeing the new design of the DS has definitely made me more excited. It looks much nice; hell the nicer look of the GBASP over the GBA made that system "better" to me for some reason... same with the Panasonic Q over the GameCube. Better looks just give me more enthusiasm for some reason.

I'm very pumped about the DS, and the PSP will be my little red-headed bitch (just like my Xbox is now) but I'm really looking forward to MP2 and Doom 3 (Xbox) more.

aoi tsuki

Marconelly said:
I'm a huge gadget whore. It's hard to describe, but holding something small and ultra high tech (like a new, slick Pocket PC) makes me all warm inside, and consoles, no matter how high tech they are, can't really provide that. Being unable to can't carry them with you, makes them less personal somehow... same as with PC, it sits there and belong more to a household than in belongs to you. As I've said, it's weird and hard to describe, but I know for a fact many people have the same feeling about various PDAs and high tech cellphones. I guess we're some kind of techno fetishists or something.

So yeah, bizarre as it may seem, I'm actually more excited about PSP than any upcoming home console.
IAWTP. There's almost no need to reply seeing as how i feel the same way but...

There's just something really amazing about holding portable technology in your hand and realizing that it can do the base functions of a much larger machine... in the palm of your hand. The idea that i can carry my library of books or music in my pocket is still amazes me from time to time, and sometimes i look at people who have a CD player and a handful of discs in their bookbag, thinking how much better off they'd be with an MP3 player. Things like PDAs are so natural and common sense to me that i wonder why more people don't ditch their paper address books, dictionaries, etc. and get one.

In terms of handhelds i'm actually more interested in the DS. Gaming is really a stagnant activity for me now, and i feel like Nintendo really might have something with the DS. Also, as someone who's wanted to program games in some capacity since i was ten, and on PDAs since i was seventeen, the DS is a natural progression for me. Dual screens, while probably a "feature" used rather plainly by most devs, will really be a sight to see in the hands of the right group.

The PSP interests me purely on a technical level. Even given the lower audio and video output of the thing, even the possibly sucky battery life, it's still amazing that it's essentially a PS2, but pocket-sized. i also think that in terms of connectivity with a home console, the PSP will be much more open than DS, opening up some really creative uses.

cvxfreak

aoi tsuki said:

There's just something really amazing about holding portable technology in your hand and realizing that it can do the base functions of a much larger machine... in the palm of your hand. The idea that i can carry my library of books or music in my pocket is still amazes me from time to time, and sometimes i look at people who have a CD player and a handful of discs in their bookbag, thinking how much better off they'd be with an MP3 player. Things like PDAs are so natural and common sense to me that i wonder why more people don't ditch their paper address books, dictionaries, etc. and get one.

Exactly. I recently got my uncle a PDA, and I never realized how useful those things were with MP3, games and etc. I need to get my own sometime, unless the DS gets itself a PDA-like cartridge which would be nice.

Theres no way I'm excited about these hand helds. Theyre too expensive plus why would I want to play say...Sega Rally 3 on a hand held,when it'll be 10 times better on a PS3,XBox2,or new Nintendo system?

Fuck no,not even close.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Thought I'd bring this up for a final go around, what with all the breaking NDS news and all :)

Kon Tiki

Banned
T-1000_Model3 said:
Theres no way I'm excited about these hand helds. Theyre too expensive plus why would I want to play say...Sega Rally 3 on a hand held,when it'll be 10 times better on a PS3,XBox2,or new Nintendo system?

Fuck no,not even close.

You're right. Why play ports of games made for other systems when you can play whole new genres?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, a really old thread. :p Let's see...

No no no, handhelds are still "just handhelds" for me. NDS looks like a neat little thing, PSP looks decent, but no way I would choose any of them over a console. I prefer to play at home, comfortable in front of the TV without having to look at a tiny screen, worry about battery life and use an inferior "controller".

The lacking technology also turns me off, as well as the budget feel of most handhelds games. Some of my favorite games are heavy on atmosphere and story, and those kind of games won't work nearly as well for a handheld compared to a console nowadays.

I'm a lot more excited about the next gen of consoles.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I would have answered No then.
My answer is No now.
And my answer will be No in the future.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

You and I the same. There's this feeling that PDAs are one thing from that 'future that never came' (flying cars, space colonies, etc) that we actually got! I remember being a very young kid, and looking at my uncle's pocket calculator and being SO impressed how incedibly quickly it was performing operations that would take me minutes to do by hand (that was my first introduction to a computing device) then looking at those Tricorders at Star Trek, and thinking "man, we'll NEVER have anything like this, even that calculator is incredible enough for something so small" And there we are today, with PDAs ten times as slick and probably even more advanced than those poor tricoders.

Then there's the pure functionality and versatility of the thing. Books (it's actually easier to read a book on a PDA than 'real' book), music, games, videos, scribing notes, calendars, sound recording, internet and local network acces, painting, emulators... Also, the stylus control they have, is the best type of control for a multi functional device like that, which relies on operating system intricacies and performs complex GUI-related tasks. I honestly can't even imagine someone who used a PDA (and being thought of everything it's capable of), being able to just give up on it, and not feel a sense of loss.

doncale

Banned
No I am more excited about Xenon, Revolution and PS3 than I am about DS and PSP, however I have never been more excited about handhelds than I am now.

DS and PSP will be my first handhelds since the Atari Lynx.

I definitely am. I'm not much of a console gamer anymore. It's not that the games aren't any good, it's just that now that I'm older, I find it hard to relax and pay attention to only one thing. I like to play games while I watch TV. Or while I'm lying down. Or while I'm enjoying my lunch at work. Or while I'm sitting in heavy traffic. Or when I'm shitting. ETC, you get the idea.

I think portable gaming offers a lot more variety.

Plus, the Nintendo DS is going to be something I've never seen before, so that has me interested.

callous

AniHawk said:
The PSP. You wont need it longer than a car ride or anything, and you can play PS2 quality games on it!

Oh ok. Thank you for telling me how long I will need to use my PSP for at a time. Now I don't have to worry about battery life after all!

Anyway, yeah, I'm more excited about the handhelds right now, but only because it's close and I like a good console war - even if it is handheld. Well, also because I'm a big fan of handhelds. They make gaming easy, and they're sexy!

Prine

Banned
handhelds can never be as exciting as next gen consoles for me. Not even close

The unveiling of new consoles is much more memorable, i know when i first see Perfect Dark Zero on Xenon, MGS4 on PS3 and New Zelda on Revolution that it will be one day i will not be forgetting. New Graphics, new AI, new controllers, new functionaility and far more possibilities. Its what drives this market.

Handhelds are still secondary to me, i dont even think of it as a serious form of gaming

With a PDA, a laptop, a PSOne + LCD and a GBASP, I see no compelling reason to own either. However, with the PSP, at least I'll be getting decent technology. Well, and Princess Crown, Makai Wars, and Darkstalkers.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Drinky Crow said:
With a PDA, a laptop, a PSOne + LCD and a GBASP, I see no compelling reason to own either. However, with the PSP, at least I'll be getting decent technology. Well, and Princess Crown, Makai Wars, and Darkstalkers.
Oh, Drinky Crow. You're the height of just-too-muchery.

Society said:
With a dog, a frying pan with egg, an aunt, and a tree in the backyard I see no reason to live underwater.
Haha!

Brofist

Hell no, I'm looking forward to see what the PS3 and Xbox2 bring next gen more than the handhelds. The PSP does look pretty sweet, I mean a portable PS2..can't go wrong. The DS..I'd have bought it 2 years ago for sure.

MaddenNFL64

I'm excited for the DS launch for sure, but handhelds never quite grab me as console launches do. Can't wait for PS3, Xenon & Revolution to come :D.

Drinky Crow said:

2D games, and you're talking about "decent technology"... ok.

Future

-----------
------------

I kind of had that mentality too. I was hoping something as powerful as the DS when the original GBA was first announced, and expected something along PSP power around this year. Interestingly enough, with rumors regarding heat and battery power and a high price tag...it seems like we just aren't ready for PSP power right now in handhelds

The DS dual screen idea is cool, but is it that cool? It's not like 1 screen ever limited game designs. Hell on consoles similar results could be done with split screens, but this is rarely seen because most game designs just don't really need it. While I'm sure some devs will find some interesting uses for it, I still think the majority of what will see on the touch screen is a map and extra touch buttons, for picking items, weapons, etc. That doesn't sound that bad, but not sure it would be missed if it wasn't there.

But then I'll probably get it anyway, and like with the GBA it will probably be out of nostalgia for old games. I probably won't ever bust out my N64 to replay Mario64, but I sure as hell might replay a slightly altered version in portable form at cheaper prices than console games. I'm a sucker for that crap

Deg said:
DS has me excited.

The biggest reason for two screens is the touch screen.

I'm extremly excited about the DS - the GBA bc is a BIG FACTOR in making the upgrade; everything else is gravy. These last two days of DS news has been UNBELIEVABLE. compared to PSP; I think it works better as a portable gaming device.

Top Bottom