• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody made their own video games?

Guilty_AI

If its your first time, make something as simple as possible. Tic-tac-toe, battleship, maybe a tetris or something flash-game-like if you're feeling inspired.

CGNoire

1. Almost everything you think will be Easy will be Extremely Hard.
2. Almost everything you think will be Hard will be Suprisingly Easy.
3. Fine-tuning game mechanics to be actually "Balanced and Fun" will take a 1000x longer than implementing new features. You will turn grey doing this.

By the time you are done...you will be very grey.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

I've made a bunch. Only published two of them.
Snails, available on Steam. This is a Lemmings like game. It took me more then 2 years to finished. Won a few prizes with it. I consider it a big success. Didn't made many money from it unfortunately.

The other was Fat Cats and Mice. A very simple game I've published on google play and Apple store. I've made this game as a sample game for a c++ 2d multiplatform game engine I've developed. It's not available anymore.

Those were a few years ago.
Lattely I've built a demo for a 3d platform game featuring a pirate in Unreal Engine 5. A lot of work...

Nowdays I don't have the stamina needed to endure such projects so I play poker instead.

Edit: I forgot to give you some tips. Game development is extremelly hard, you will need a lot of different skills. Start with something simple and don't bother with graphics, just gameplay. Use a game engine like unity.

Last edited:

kikkis

Whatever you think you want to do, don't.

Build a tic-tac-toe first.

Use an engine

Allow it to be ugly
I think i will try godot and go from there. I have done tic tac. It will be low poly with abstract characters like balls etc.

I am not making mmo or even networked game. Sure I would like to have online coop but it's probably too difficult.

Pathfinding and ai will probably be the most difficult part for my game.

by myself? not yet.
with a team/studio? Yes several.
Only advice I can give is start very small, use existing engines/frameworks and write everything down in a design document, last thing you want to be is aimless and make shit up as you go.

intbal

I made a HTML-based text adventure back in the 90s.
Took four months.
Provided about four minutes of gameplay.

Never again.

I don't consider this a pro tip, but I think using an engine with minimal/no coding and prebuilt assets will let you test game design ideas and get the hang of how things relate without getting burnt out on the details. I don't think you should jump into an open ended engine or asset development on your first try. Many individuals wet their feet and find some satisfaction with these:

Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch) <-2D Platformer
Dreams (PS4/PS5) <-3D Sandbox/Platformer
LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4/PS5) <-2.5D Platformer
RPG Maker MZ (PC) <-Retro Turn Based JRPG
Pixel Game Maker MV (PC) <-2D Metroidvania
Garry's Mod (PC) <-3D Sandbox/First Person Shooter
M.U.G.E.N. (PC) <-2D Fighting Games
Universal Fighting Engine 2 Lite (PC) <-3D Fighting Games

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I messed around with some Java based game development kit from Barnes and Noble about ten years ago. Started to make a 32-bit ear inspired RPG in the style of old Final Fantasy games. I developed a tiny bit of the game, like the starting town and some enemies. But I was between work and school at the time, and creating even minor assets and scripts was like a full time job in of itself so I abandoned it.

thief183

I did, still working on it, but I totally underestimate the marketing importance. Almost no-one bought it, too bad the sound track was awesome :) (is awesome ) the name is Palladium, it is on steam. I can finish it without getting hit a single time but apparently is way too hard.... pussies :p

ShadowLag

I think i will try godot and go from there. I have done tic tac. It will be low poly with abstract characters like balls etc.

I am not making mmo or even networked game. Sure I would like to have online coop but it's probably too difficult.

Pathfinding and ai will probably be the most difficult part for my game.

Posting updates on your Godot game would be cool. Some people around here can probably assist you with any questions you may have too, myself included.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I wrote tic-tac-toe on one of the school-owned TI calculators during math class in like 9th grade.

Then I started writing C code with some janky ass library from the 90s and made a ball that would fall and bounce off the bottom of the screen with basic physics with an eye towards making my own games. Then I showed my older brother who said "Who cares it's a fucking dot you fucking faggot" and I never really tried to write anything related to game code since.

Top Bottom