• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else have a problem with depth perception in racing games?

I've noticed this problem in a lot of racing games. I have trouble judging how sharp a turn is gonna be and I end up barreling into the rail.

I never have this problem in real life driving so I'm wondering why it's so hard in games.
I always have to glance at the map to see how tight the turn is gonna be.

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is here. Is it the lack of draw distance? Track design? Lack of peripheral vision?

You guys notice this at all or is it just me?

It's lack of 3D display, actually. What you're seeing is still a flat 2D image, so it makes real depth perception impossible. Depth perception is only available when you mix two slightly different inputs togheter to create a 3D image. If you were to drive with only one eye opened, you'd have a hard time with depth perception.

WarPig

The fisheye lens effect in a lot of racing games is probably also messing with you -- Burnout 3 is a big one in that regard, it "stretches" the picture in weird ways to jack up the sensation of speed and that screws up your ability to judge depth.

I tend to trust my depth perception lest and the turn indicators more, at least in Burnout.

DFS.

Arcticfox

I have never had a problem judging turns in a simulation, but I did have a problem with all the blurring in Burnout 3. I kept turning too early because it felt like the car was going faster than it really was, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
seismologist said:
I never have this problem in real life driving so I'm wondering why it's so hard in games.
I always have to glance at the map to see how tight the turn is gonna be.

I'm gonna guess you don't attempt to drift through a 90 degree turn going 150 mph+ in real life.

Sysgen

I find driving on the wrong side of the road in Burnout 3 easier than on the right side because I can identify the headlights more easily than the tail lights. I had a hell of a time in PGR2, perhaps because of the 30FPS.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Burnout3 makes it freaking hard to see what's ahead because of the uber high FOV + 3rdperson camera is quite low. But yeah, I can see oncoming traffic better too (and the traffic moves so slow in both directions that the right lane doesn't really give you much more time to react either).
And if FOV zooming up and down everytime you press/release boost doesn't confuse your depth perception, I don't think anything will.

Top Bottom