• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else reading the 9/11 report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospero

I started printing it out on the office printer (I'm sending 50 pages at a time). I'll start reading it this evening.

I don't really trust any news media outlet to give me a sufficiently accurate digest of what the report contains. I think the best move in this instance is to read it yourself.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, pretty nasty stuff. :(

Some of it really bothers me, though...

"Allah is the greatest"? Yeah, that'll make some converts you f*ckwads. I'll never understand why the most radical members of various religious organizations go out of their way to do truly horrible things while screaming about whatever diety they worship. Guys, there is no F*cking "Allah" or "God" or whatever the f*ck you people keep screaming about. Just drop it. No seriously, drop it.

Hell, the kind of stuff that radical Christians, Muslims, etc. try to pull off sometimes is pretty much anti-"insert any random religion" anyways. All they are doing is turning other people against INNOCENT believers of whatever faith they "claim" to belong to.

lexbubble

I don't think I could read the whole thing..yikes...I am listening to reports on the news though as they come in..unnerving.

Damn... reading some of that sure brings back some hard memories.

If I ever get into that situation, I promose I will fight to the bitter end like the passengers on flight 93 did.

They sure were brave. :(

Passengers aboard United Airlines Flight 93 fought back against the hijackers but never actually made it into the cockpit, the Sept. 11 commission concluded.

The assertion, included in the panel's dramatic summary of the harrowing flight, contradicts the firmly held belief by some victims' families that passengers breached the cockpit and fought with hijackers inside during their final moments.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/cu...-0722,0,2051235.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

Not that this diminishes the passengers' bravery. Apparently the hijackers put the plane into a dive when they feared the passengers were about to get through the cockpit door.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Lucky Forward said:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/cu...-0722,0,2051235.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

Not that this diminishes the passengers' bravery. Apparently the hijackers put the plane into a dive when they feared the passengers were about to get through the cockpit door.

In the report, it indicates that the terrorists tried several violent maneuvers to get the passengers to stop trying to get into the cockpit. Rolling the plane left & right, up & down, etc. And yet they kept coming. Finally the pilot asked if he should just crash the plane, and is told "yes", so he rolls the plane upside down & smashes into the ground at 580mph. And even during this maneuver, you can evidently hear passengers on the cockpit recorder banging on the cockpit door trying to get in.

MIMIC

Banned
Tuesday, September 11, 2001, dawned temperate and nearly cloudless in
the eastern United States. Millions of men and women readied themselves for
work. Some made their way to the Twin Towers, the signature structures of the
World Trade Center complex in New York City.

So, this is like a book.

Phoenix

Lucky Forward said:

Indeed, they didn't have to be valiantly fighting at the control stick to be considered brave. The fact that they fought their way TO the cockpit door but couldn't penetrate it was more than enough.

Fifty

That first chapter is indeed tough to read. If I knew anyone who died on that day I don't think I would be able to read it.

Prospero

I just finished the first chapter. That's one of the roughest times I've ever had with a government document.

It's not like it's embellished with any melodrama, either--except for the occasional sentence to give it narrative flow and make it readable, it just reports what happened.

AirBrian

Lucky Forward said:

Here it is:
9/11 Report said:
During at least five of the passengers’ phone calls, information was shared
about the attacks that had occurred earlier that morning at the World Trade
Center. Five calls described the intent of passengers and surviving crew mem-bers
to revolt against the hijackers. According to one call, they voted on
whether to rush the terrorists in an attempt to retake the plane. They decided,
and acted.84

At 9:57, the passenger assault began. Several passengers had terminated
phone calls with loved ones in order to join the revolt. One of the callers
ended her message as follows:“Everyone’s running up to first class. I’ve got to
go. Bye.”85

The cockpit voice recorder captured the sounds of the passenger assault
muffled by the intervening cockpit door. Some family members who listened
to the recording report that they can hear the voice of a loved one among the
din. We cannot identify whose voices can be heard. But the assault was sus-tained.

In response, Jarrah immediately began to roll the airplane to the left and
right, attempting to knock the passengers off balance. At 9:58:57, Jarrah told
another hijacker in the cockpit to block the door. Jarrah continued to roll the
airplane sharply left and right, but the assault continued. At 9:59:52, Jarrah
changed tactics and pitched the nose of the airplane up and down to disrupt
the assault.The recorder captured the sounds of loud thumps, crashes, shouts,
and breaking glasses and plates. At 10:00:03, Jarrah stabilized the airplane.87
Five seconds later, Jarrah asked,“Is that it? Shall we finish it off?”A hijacker
responded,“No. Not yet.When they all come, we finish it off.” The sounds of
fighting continued outside the cockpit. Again, Jarrah pitched the nose of the
aircraft up and down.At 10:00:26, a passenger in the background said,“In the
cockpit. If we don’t we’ll die!” Sixteen seconds later, a passenger yelled,“Roll
it!” Jarrah stopped the violent maneuvers at about 10:01:00 and said,“Allah is
the greatest! Allah is the greatest!” He then asked another hijacker in the cock-pit,“
Is that it? I mean, shall we put it down?” to which the other replied,“Yes,
put it in it, and pull it down.”88

The passengers continued their assault and at 10:02:23, a hijacker said,“Pull
it down! Pull it down!”The hijackers remained at the controls but must have
judged that the passengers were only seconds from overcoming them.The air-plane
headed down; the control wheel was turned hard to the right.The air-plane
rolled onto its back, and one of the hijackers began shouting “Allah is
the greatest. Allah is the greatest.”With the sounds of the passenger counter-attack
continuing, the aircraft plowed into an empty field in Shanksville, Penn-sylvania,
at 580 miles per hour, about 20 minutes’ flying time from
Washington, D.C.89

Jarrah’s objective was to crash his airliner into symbols of the American
Republic, the Capitol or the White House. He was defeated by the alerted,
unarmed passengers of United 93.

xsarien

daedsiluap
From Drudge:
The 9/11 commission report offers a broad critique of a central tenet of the Bush administration's foreign policy _ that the attacks have required a 'war on terrorism'... The report argues that the notion of fighting an enemy called "terrorism" is too diffuse and vague to be effective. Strikingly, the report also makes no reference to the invasion of Iraq as being part of the war on terrorism, a frequent assertion of President Bush and his top aides... Developing...

Good God, they needed how long to come to this conclusion? I've been screaming that since the moment Bush uttered the words "War on Terrorism" in 2001.

AirBrian

xsarien said:
Good God, they needed how long to come to this conclusion? I've been screaming that since the moment Bush uttered the words "War on Terrorism" in 2001.
"War on Terrorism", "War on Drugs"...need...more...focus...!!! I know what they represent, I just don't like those terms -- too cliche.

Phoenix

AirBrian said:
"War on Terrorism", "War on Drugs"...need...more...focus...!!! I know what they represent, I just don't like those terms -- too cliche.

War on Poverty
War on Aids
War on Obesity
War on Rising Health Care Costs
War on Illiteracy
War on Crime

... pick your war, we've got plenty :)

AirBrian

Speaking of war...

9/11 Report said:
There is also evidence that around this time Bin Ladin sent out a number
of feelers to the Iraqi regime, offering some cooperation. None are reported
to have received a significant response. According to one report, Saddam Hus-sein’s
efforts at this time to rebuild relations with the Saudis and other Middle
Eastern regimes led him to stay clear of Bin Ladin.74

In mid-1998, the situation reversed; it was Iraq that reportedly took the ini-tiative.
In March 1998, after Bin Ladin’s public fatwa against the United States,
two al Qaeda members reportedly went to Iraq to meet with Iraqi intelli-gence.
In July, an Iraqi delegation traveled to Afghanistan to meet first with
the Taliban and then with Bin Ladin. Sources reported that one, or perhaps
both, of these meetings was apparently arranged through Bin Ladin’s Egypt-ian
deputy, Zawahiri, who had ties of his own to the Iraqis. In 1998, Iraq was
under intensifying U.S. pressure, which culminated in a series of large air
attacks in December.75

Similar meetings between Iraqi officials and Bin Ladin or his aides may have
occurred in 1999 during a period of some reported strains with the Taliban.
According to the reporting, Iraqi officials offered Bin Ladin a safe haven in Iraq.
Bin Ladin declined, apparently judging that his circumstances in Afghanistan
remained more favorable than the Iraqi alternative. The reports describe
friendly contacts and indicate some common themes in both sides’ hatred of
the United States. But to date we have seen no evidence that these or the ear-lier
contacts ever developed into a collaborative operational relationship. Nor
have we seen evidence indicating that Iraq cooperated with al Qaeda in devel-oping
or carrying out any attacks against the United States.76

Bin Ladin eventually enjoyed a strong financial position in Afghanistan,
thanks to Saudi and other financiers associated with the Golden Chain.
Through his relationship with Mullah Omar—and the monetary and other
benefits that it brought the Taliban—Bin Ladin was able to circumvent restric-tions;
Mullah Omar would stand by him even when other Taliban leaders raised
objections. Bin Ladin appeared to have in Afghanistan a freedom of move-ment
that he had lacked in Sudan.Al Qaeda members could travel freely within
the country, enter and exit it without visas or any immigration procedures, pur-chase
and import vehicles and weapons, and enjoy the use of official Afghan
Ministry of Defense license plates.Al Qaeda also used the Afghan state-owned
Ariana Airlines to courier money into the country.77
Nothing really new, just nicely summed up in a few paragraphs.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
xsarien said:

Except that he doesn't even say "terrorism." Instead, apparently we're fighting the emotion terror. How exactly you defeat an emotion is beyond me. If anything, the farce that is the "War on Terror" has caused more terror than it's prevented. I mean, what exactly does raising arbitrary threat levels accomplish. Supposedly, we're supposed to be "vigilant" whatever the fuck that means.

xsarien

daedsiluap
War on Chick Flicks

Minotauro said:
Except that he doesn't even say "terrorism." Instead, apparently we're fighting the emotion terror. How exactly you defeat an emotion is beyond me. If anything, the farce that is the "War on Terror" has caused more terror than it's prevented. I mean, what exactly does raising arbitrary threat levels accomplish. Supposedly, we're supposed to be "vigilant" whatever the fuck that means.

You don't. You can't fight ideology with guns, because it just strengthens said ideology.

Minotauro said:
Except that he doesn't even say "terrorism." Instead, apparently we're fighting the emotion terror. How exactly you defeat an emotion is beyond me.

Jon Stewart said:
We declared war on terror. We declared war on terror--it's not even a noun, so, good luck. After we defeat it, I'm sure we'll take on that bastard ennui.

sweetness. mom called me today and informed that she bought 4 copies of the report so i went to her office and picked one up. now i don't have to deal with the PDF's freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom