• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone getting SMT: Nocturne

gunstarhero

I just got thru watching a bunch of videos on IGN - which makes me think the battle systems is boring and pretty shallow (I dont think i've seen the main character do any attack bu "PUNCH").

Anyone have any more info on the battle system? (Still deciding over this and Paper Mario 2)

gunstarhero said:
I just got thru watching a bunch of videos on IGN - which makes me think the battle systems is boring and pretty shallow (I dont think i've seen the main character do any attack bu "PUNCH").

Anyone have any more info on the battle system? (Still deciding over this and Paper Mario 2)

It's basically "Your turn, my turn". All your characters take a time attacking and then the enemies take their time attacking. The twist is that you can gain or lose turns. If you miss and attack or if an enemy gets a critical attack on you, you lose attack turns and they gain them, and vice versa.

Lyte Edge said:
Anyone get it yet?

My EB says friday.

Well, EBgames in western canada have a date of monday, so giving the shipping delay, Friday sounds like a pretty safe bet for americans. Probably only some of the major pacific places will get some before then, I imagine.

Tortfeasor

Gamestop called me last night to let me know it would be in today for pickup.

I went today and they told me Friday.

Bastards.

ferricide

SolidSnakex said:
It's basically "Your turn, my turn". All your characters take a time attacking and then the enemies take their time attacking. The twist is that you can gain or lose turns. If you miss and attack or if an enemy gets a critical attack on you, you lose attack turns and they gain them, and vice versa.
nah. i mean, that's the setup, sure, but that's not the depth. the depth is in picking and choosing the abilities and demons you use and exercising the right skills to get more turns and kick ass. it's very challenging. and if anything, you have *too many* options of special attacks to do in battle. if he's just punching, he's not really playing the game right (unless it's super easy enemies and he just wants to make it through the battle quickly.)

as usual, IGN sends some dude in to take video captures never having played the game, and he runs into corners and generally plays it shittily and they don't edit the video together to get interesting highlights. i hate that shit. i presume it's still that way, anyway, because i haven't downloaded an IGN video in for-fucking-ever.

back at gamers.com we used to actually edit together *interesting* bits of the game that showed it off into a presentation of sorts. gamespy has a similar concept.

sorry. big pet peeve of mine.

Top Bottom