• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AOU Coverage?

jarrod

Banned
Where is it? All I've gleaned by looking up the usual sources...

-Mario Kart Arcade GP (Namco) Triforce based, lots of coverage everywhere
-Battle Gear 4 (Taito) Type X based
-New Guilty Gear (Sammy) nothing known yet but it exists
-Shikigami no Shiro III (Alfa System) Type X based
-Spica Adventure (Taito) Type X based 2D platformer, *see pic below*
-Ibara (Cave) custom SH3 board, new 2D shooter
-Senko no Ronde (G.Rev) Naomi based, 2D shooter/fighter hybrid

spika.jpg

...what else? Where's the SNK stuff? Sega stuff? Did Namco have anything besides Mario Kart? What about Taito? Where's all the Atomiswave stuff? Why is there like zero dedicated arcade coverage these days? :(

edit-Okay, found a little more sifting through watch impress...

Taito (all games are Type X based)
-Tetris the Grand Master 3: Terror Instinct (Arika)
-Harikirionrain Professional Baseball (Taito) online baseball
-Tatacapai Online: Rabbit-Wild (Taito) online mahjong
-Homera (Skonec) new 2D shooter
-Seeing Final (Warashi) Uno style card game
-Raiden III (Moss)
-The Fast and the Furious: Wild Speed (Taito) racing game?
-Target: Force (Raw Thrills) gun shooter from the guy who made Defender

Sega
-Sega Network Taisen Mahjong: MJ3 (AM2) Chihiro based
-World Club Champion Football European Clubs 2004-2005 (Hitmaker) Naomi 2 based
-Melty Blood (Ecole) Naomi based, 2D fighter
-Sangoushi (???) ROTK style card strategy game

Namco
-Taiko no Tatsujin 7

Sammy (all games are Atomiswave based)
-Neo*Geo Battle Coliseum (SNK Playmore)
-The Rumblefish 2 (Dimps)
-Net Selection Horse Racing Victory Halon

Konami
-Dance 86.4 Funky Radio Station? ???

....guess Taito really stole the show. Type X looks like it's going murder Atomiswave, where are all the AW games Sega and SNK are suppossedly doing?

MASB

Looking at this list, I wonder how many 'new' (can't wait for VF4 Final Tuned 2nd Edition! ;) arcade games are released every year.

jarrod

Banned
At least there's Spica Adventure. I'll gladly take a new cutesy Taito platformer in the tradition of Liquid Kids and New Zealand Story. :)

Actually, most of the Type X stuff looks pretty exciting imo. Taito's on a roll... it's just dissapointing that Namco, Sega Sammy, SNK and Konami are all pretty much doing nothing in comparison. And Capcom just left entirely. :(

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Konami is still making some arcade titles, but for some reason they choose to not show anything at the AOU anymore; I don't get it.

If there's anything about a IIDX 12th I'd love to hear it, and for other fans I'm sure the rest of the bemani lineup getting next iterations (save for DDR)... Konami also has Lethal Enforcers 3 coming up soon, don't they? Yet, nothing for AOU. It's a shame.

The only thing I've really heard about any game at AOU that isn't Mario Kart is that Ibara's supposed to be a good tribute to 8ing/Raizing style shooters. I haven't even heard squat about Shikigami Shiro 3. I'd like to hear more info about all of this too.

jarrod

Banned
Here's some pics of most of the Taito games...

Harikirionrain Professional Baseball (Taito)
aou_t01.jpg
aou_t11.jpg

Battle Gear 4 (Taito)
aou_t07.jpg
aou_t08.jpg

Spica Adventure (Taito)
aou_t02.jpg

Castle of Shikigami III (Taito/Alpha System)
aou_t03.jpg

Raiden III (Taito/Moss)
aou_t16.jpg

Homera (Taito/Skonec)
aou_t13.jpg

Seeing Final (Taito/Warashi)
aou_t14.jpg

Tetris the Grand Master 3: Terror Instinct (Taito/Arika)
aou_t15.jpg

The Fast and the Furious: Wild Speed (Taito/Raw Thrills)
aou_t18.jpg

Target: Force (Taito/Raw Thrills)
aou_t19.jpg

Tatacapai Online: Rabbit-Wild (Taito)
aou_t04.jpg

jarrod

Banned
And here's everyone else (besides Mario Kart, which we've seen enough of)...

Sega Network Taisen Mahjong MJ3 (Sega)
aou_sg05.jpg
aou_sg06.jpg

World Club Champion Football European Clubs 2004-2005 (Sega)
aou_sg08.jpg
aou_sg09.jpg

Sangoushi (Sega)
aou_sg15.jpg

Senko no Ronde (Sega/G.Rev)
aou_sg16.jpg

Melty Blood: Act Cadenza (Sega/Ecole)
aou_sg17.jpg

Neo Geo Battle Coliseum (Sammy/SNK Playmore)
aou_sm02.jpg

The Rumblefish 2 (Sammy/Dimps)
aou_sm03.jpg

Taiko no Tatsujin 7 (Namco)
aou_n16.jpg

Belfast

"Konami
-Dance 86.4 Funky Radio Station? ???"

*sigh* You honestly think Konami would have more to show than THIS. Before anyone gets excited about a new Bemani game or something, its basically a very simplistic dancing game for little kids using three colored panels arranged horizontally. :(

ourumov

I was very dissapointed with BG3...It had good graphics (for my tastes) but they completelly fucked the spirit of the series by going using wide tracks...Dunno but I feel skeptical about this one...

Andrew2

Banned
This years AOU seem pretty slow. In fact,I was expecting SEGA to unveil Virtua Fighter 5 and Namco Soul Calibur III(SC III mostly since SC has traditionally been unveiled at a AOU show)

With JAMMA in about 6 months,theres still hope that both titles would be publically shown. Here's hoping SEGA's new hardware also.

Andrew2

Banned
Actually, most of the Type X stuff looks pretty exciting imo. Taito's on a roll... it's just dissapointing that Namco, Sega Sammy, SNK and Konami are all pretty much doing nothing in comparison. And Capcom just left entirely. :(

Well,the JAMMA show was nothing but 6 months ago,so you guess they'll already had done shown thier arcade software offering. If anything,I would give it a few more months and they hopefully show something exciting like possibily SCIII,VF5 and possibily Ridge Racer 6. Right now,I'am bit curious what SEGA-AM2 might be up to aside from those blasted MJ games. I pray for a Beach Spikers 2 or something kind of sports themed title.

jarrod

Banned
Andrew2 said:
This years AOU seem pretty slow. In fact,I was expecting SEGA to unveil Virtua Fighter 5 and Namco Soul Calibur III(SC III mostly since SC has traditionally been unveiled at a AOU show)

With JAMMA in about 6 months,theres still hope that both titles would be publically shown. Here's hoping SEGA's new hardware also.
Yeah... the Soul Calibur 3 thing is pretty puzzling if it's planned for consumer release by year's end. It really should've been there... I wonder if there might be a format shift to Tri-Force (contractually to included Zelda IPs in the arcade too)?

And Sega needs to get System SP out there soon as well. Xenon's approaching fast, which will probably dampen the visual shock of whatever PVR5 hardware they have going.... and I want to be shocked by Virtua Fighter 5. :/

Andrew2 said:
Well,the JAMMA show was nothing but 6 months ago,so you guess they'll already had done shown thier arcade software offering. If anything,I would give it a few more months and they hopefully show something exciting like possibily SCIII,VF5 and possibily Ridge Racer 6. Right now,I'am bit curious what SEGA-AM2 might be up to aside from those blasted MJ games. I pray for a Beach Spikers 2 or something kind of sports themed title.
Sure, it just seems like Taito's doing an amazing job. Sammy especially should be putting up a better effort given Type X is in direct competition with their own Atomiswave board. Where's all the SNK and Sega releases they promised? Why are they still allowing releases on Naomi and not AW? The new Sega Sammy seems remarkably lacking in synergy, hell they're still treated like seperate companies for the most part. :/

I'd take Beach Spikers 2, but I'd really prefer Virtua Tennis 3 myself. :)

Oh and RR6 is being prepped for PS3 launch, I doubt we see an arcade releases anytime soon. If anything, it's probably get an expanded "Arcade Battle" release after the fact like RR5. Mario Kart Arcade GP is probably the only notable Namco racer for awhile I think.

M3wThr33 said:
Is this Target: Terror JPN port or a sequel?
An arcade nearby had Target: Terror and no mention of Taito.
It's developed by a new western company called Raw Thrills, who's partnered with Taito for Type X games. Raw Thrills is actually headed up by Eugene Jarvis (of Robotron, Defender, NARC, Cruis'n fame). The Type X versions seems to be a total remake of the an already released US version, subsituting in polygons for FMV.

The Abominable Snowman said:
Where is Sega's Monopoly?
I'm leaving out medal games, though there were a ton of them evidently. Capcom even had a new one based off Mario suppossedly.

Defensor said:
No Space Adventure Cobra?
Nope. I guess Namco felt Mario Kart and a Taiko 7 announcement was enough. :/

jett said:
Man, all those games look like ass.
Spica Adventure at least looks great, I'm praying for a console/handheld release. There's actually a pretty healthy 2D shooter & fighyter representation too.

wtf....it looks like arcade games are one generation *behind* current gen consoles.... I miss the days when arcade games were beyond (graphically) what we could play at home. :\

jarrod

Banned
Project Midway said:
wtf....it looks like arcade games are one generation *behind* current gen consoles.... I miss the days when arcade games were beyond (graphically) what we could play at home. :\
Well, that's mainly due to a reliance on old/consumer technology now, the landscape of amusement's changed so much that high end custom boards are no longer cost effective.

As is though, boards like Hikaru, Naomi 2, Chihiro, Triforce and System 256 are all higher spec than any of their console equivalents. Taito's Type-X is surprisingly high spec for such a low cost machine too and nicely scalable...

CPU: Celeron 2.5Ghz (upgradable to Pentium 4 2.8GHz)
FSB: 400MHz (Upgradable to 800MHz)
Chipset: Intel 865G
Memory: DDR266 DIMM 256MB (upgradable to DDR400 2GB)
Graphics Board: AGP Radeon 9200SE (128 MB) - X800XT (256 MB)
Audio: AC97 onboard 6 channel audio CODEC
Lan: On-board 10/100Base-TX
USB: 4ch (ver 1.1 & 2.0 compatible)
Parallel port: 1 port
PS/2 port: keyboard, mouse
PCI: 2 slots
IDE: 2ch U-DMA(100/66/33)
Serial ATA: 2ch
Audio inputs: Microphone (stereo pin-jack), line-in (stereo pin-jack)
Audio outputs: line-out (stereo pin-jack), SPDI/F
Power: ATX AC 100v
Notes : The hardware is upgradable and changable per game, from the basic setup to a pretty much state of the art setup.

Argyle

jarrod said:
And Sega needs to get System SP out there soon as well. Xenon's approaching fast, which will probably dampen the visual shock of whatever PVR5 hardware they have going.... and I want to be shocked by Virtua Fighter 5. :/

Don't we all? I bet it'll be nothing special by the time it comes out though...but it's ok, there will still be the same idiots claiming it has the best lighting/image quality/trilinear boobie mapping or whatever anyway :)

Fularu

Banned
Argyle said:
Don't we all? I bet it'll be nothing special by the time it comes out though...but it's ok, there will still be the same idiots claiming it has the best lighting/image quality/trilinear boobie mapping or whatever anyway :)

You're confusing VF and DoA

doncale

Banned
jarrod said:
Well, that's mainly due to a reliance on old/consumer technology now, the landscape of amusement's changed so much that high end custom boards are no longer cost effective.

As is though, boards like Hikaru, Naomi 2, Chihiro, Triforce and System 256 are all higher spec than any of their console equivalents. Taito's Type-X is surprisingly high spec for such a low cost machine too and nicely scalable...

neat. I didn't realize Taito's Type X was scalable.

Jarrod, imagine arcade boards using beefed up ~ scaled up variants of Xenon and PS3 hardware. :D

jarrod

Banned
doncale said:
yummy. reminds me of both Fantasy Zone and WonderBoy or Alex Kidd.
Yeah, the backgrounds in particluar really have a Fantasy Zone feel. :)

doncale said:
neat. I didn't realize Taito's Type X was scalable.

Jarrod, imagine arcade boards using beefed up ~ scaled up variants of Xenon and PS3 hardware. :D
I expect Namco (PS3) and Sega (Xenon) to both probably license something based off them. Not sure about Revolution though, Triforce sort of went nowhere.... maybe if Mario Kart does really well Namco will go in on a co-developed board. Personally, I think Nintendo should give up both Namco and Sega (who tend to have too many boards anyway) and make a sweet deal with Taito for a low cost board. Type X looks like the next Naomi imo.

Top Bottom