• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apache: Air Assault |OT| FLIR, AWS and Getting To Da Choppa

UFRA

Awesome, glad to see good reviews right off the bat. Now hopefully some of the bigger sites think the same way.

I was going to wait, but Kmart is selling this game for $50 (retail), plus you get a $30 gaming coupon towards a future purchase (after 11/21)... no way I could pass that up. +1 sale. :D

Here's a fancy dummy-spit. It's the controls' fault.

A NON-REVIEW BY PSU! I shall copy the entire thing here so as not to give them any more clicks than they deserve.

Behold:

Every once in a while a game comes out with little fanfare and even less attention. For Gaijin Entertainment, the Russian developer of IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey, its latest release is not getting all that much coverage, and we tried very hard to learn why.

Published by Activision, Apache Air Assault is a helicopter flight simulator that includes 16 multi-stage missions and a co-op experience that allows two to four players to join together in 13 missions. There is even local co-op that allows one player to pilot the helicopter, while the other player is the co-pilot and gunner. The graphics are fairly realistic and the few missions we played are relatively varied.

So why are we writing a non-review? Simple, after trying to play the game the past several days, we became so enraged with the controls that we simply gave up. That’s right, flame away, but we gave up. There are far too many games out this time of year for us to spend too much time reviewing a game that we strongly believe our readers will either not care about, or will find equally frustrating.

Our first hour with the game was enjoyable. There are very few helicopter sims on the market, so it was exciting to learn how to fly a copter in game. But after the first level, we discovered a trend. The controls are clunky and the helicopter is so difficult to maneuver, that the actual gameplay experience was downright awful. Furthermore, the early missions task you with shooting missiles at ground units, but they are so difficult to see and the helicopter is so terrible to operate. It was as if three screaming babies were blowing chunks while a fat clown was stroking a rubber balloon on our TV screen, making that gut-wrenching noise everyone hates. Needless to say, the game proved more of a headache than we care to endure.

Call us bad gamers, call us bad reviewers, but we give up on this game and we cannot figure out why anyone in their right mind would want to suffer through this experience. But now that we think of it, there may be some flight sim fans out there that yearn for a fresh helicopter combat game—thing is, we still can’t in our right mind recommend this. Maybe there is a PC market for this, but it plays poorly on the PS3. Sure, it’s only $49.99 USD, but there are better ways to spend that money—a visit to the dentist is probably more enjoyable.

Go play a better game.

cry_baby.jpg

UFRA

Wow, that's just sad. That's completely unacceptable for a reviewer to just give up if he can't handle the controls of a game...that's his damn job! :lol

I understand if people don't like the controls, or don't feel comfortable with them. Fine. But to just give up as if they're broken is pretty funny.

Not only that, but to slander the game on account of one persons' inability to comprehend the controls. In many cases, indeed, controls are an issue for games of many genres...but the responses here - even when folks have found it tough - stuck at it and overcame their initial misgivings.

Not even a case of artistic credibility, but game reviews are essentially product reviews. This wouldn't fly elsewhere, pardon the pun.

"Go play a better game"

Go find a better reviewer.

Just to be sure, I'm not in damage control mode. It's objectively one of the worst reviews, regardless off the pithy "non-review disclaimer" nonsense. I guess the admission validates it as "non-advice".

luka said:
Helicopters are hard to fly, news at 11.

Those guys should try Black Shark.

By the sounds of it, the goddamn Black Shark box would be too much.

"Find another game, guys. This shit is just too ridiculous for us."

luka said:

Goddamn, that cockpit, ahem, gives me the horns. Apache certainly does appear to play that middle ground quite nicely. Russians - keeping the flight games alive!

I retract the box comment (on account of it being DD-only, right?) and state they'd watch that video, then quickly search for a picture of a cat on a dining table to settle their nerves.

UFRA

Pylon_Trooper said:
PSX Extreme threw down a nice review, 80/100. A good review, too. Updated the OP.

"The Ugly: The uninitiated who sits down and thinks it’ll play like Warhawk. …the result is oh so ugly."

:lol I can just imagine someone who plays nothing but arcade-style flight games starting out in this game and just rolling over and crashing upside down into the ground.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I love the controls in this game, they are very hard but at the same time they are also very rewarding when you get the hang of them, in realistic you actually feel like you are controlling a helicopter, it reminds me of controlling a real r/c helicopter, it's a shame PSU gave up so easily, I think they was expecting a more 'arcade' fanfare.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Damn this game is awesome. Got it yesterday and went through the first 5 or 6 missions. I've played the demo a lot so controls are second nature. It's definitely easier to aim targets from cockpit view as the reticule is locked in the middle of the screen. Besides, when you get used to the fact that that right stick controls rotors, it all makes sense.

Played some online as well and I really like the different rules and conditions they came up with to promote cooperation. Did one mission where players were split between Apaches and MQ-8Bs, the former with disabled radars, the latter tasked with indicating targets to the Apaches. Pretty cool.

Can't wait to finish this and replay the whole thing with realistic physics.

TTP, if you do get a chance to take some footage and maybe some quick commentary...you know where to post links! Otherwise, great impressions. :D

Within a week, I shall be whirling those blades and spitting hydras! Can't wait!

UFRA

Just finished the campaign. Completed all missions on Realistic difficulty. It got very tough later on in the game. After the first 9 missions which I completed with flawless ratings (never using a continue), I died multiple times on every mission from that point on. On the 2nd to last mission, I passed it with 0 continues left lol. Man that was tense.

Now one thing has concerned me at this point...I was originally thinking of going for the platinum trophy in this game, but after completing all missions, I didn't unlock the trophies for "unlocking all skins on all helicopters" and "unlock 20 decals". I was hoping these two would unlock naturally at the end of the game, but perhaps what I feared all along may be true...

You might have to complete every mission without dying once to unlock special skins/decals, OR even worse, you may have to complete every mission on Veteran difficulty. :O

In other words, it would be VERY hard to platinum and I'm not up to that task. :lol But I'm just speculating at this point. There's no Walkthroughs up yet on GameFAQ's so I don't know for sure what it takes for the platinum.

The only other possibility is that you unlock special skins and decals by playing the co-op missions. So once I get through all 13 of those, then maybe I'll have unlocked all the skins and 20 decals at that point. That's my only hope at this point. On to those next...

<3 this game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
UFRA said:
Just finished the campaign. Completed all missions on Realistic difficulty. It got very tough later on in the game. After the first 9 missions which I completed with flawless ratings (never using a continue), I died multiple times on every mission from that point on. On the 2nd to last mission, I passed it with 0 continues left lol. Man that was tense.

Now one thing has concerned me at this point...I was originally thinking of going for the platinum trophy in this game, but after completing all missions, I didn't unlock the trophies for "unlocking all skins on all helicopters" and "unlock 20 decals". I was hoping these two would unlock naturally at the end of the game, but perhaps what I feared all along may be true...

You might have to complete every mission without dying once to unlock special skins/decals, OR even worse, you may have to complete every mission on Veteran difficulty. :O

In other words, it would be VERY hard to platinum and I'm not up to that task. :lol But I'm just speculating at this point. There's no Walkthroughs up yet on GameFAQ's so I don't know for sure what it takes for the platinum.

The only other possibility is that you unlock special skins and decals by playing the co-op missions. So once I get through all 13 of those, then maybe I'll have unlocked all the skins and 20 decals at that point. That's my only hope at this point. On to those next...

<3 this game.

I'm not sure, but I think you also unlock stuff when doing the co-op missions indeed or the so called "free flight" IIRC

TTP said:
I'm not sure, but I think you also unlock stuff when doing the co-op missions indeed or the so called "free flight" IIRC

Yup got the trophy an more decals for doing Co-op missions.

Also the credits are kind of awesome
Think CoD4's credits except playable

Tho co-op missions are a lot of fun, one of them was a massive sprint through a valley with a few stops to take out targets on the way, the key is to keep moving and and use the terrain to avoid AAA fire. Awesome sense of epak flying through the valley at 140+ right on the tail rotor of your friend taking out targets on the way. Another one is a jungle assault where you need to stay below 200ft and take out targets before the enemy can relay your position, moving low above the river and avoiding trees gets tense.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Finally got perfect rating on the demo's tutorial level on realistic.

Now I'm hooked. Game is so bought... probably not until the weekend though.

Any recommendations for a flight stick that's compatible w/ PS3PC? Something good but not great (super expensive)...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
UFRA said:
Wow, that's just sad. That's completely unacceptable for a reviewer to just give up if he can't handle the controls of a game...that's his damn job! :lol

I understand if people don't like the controls, or don't feel comfortable with them. Fine. But to just give up as if they're broken is pretty funny.
Are the controls more simmy than BF2? I've seen so many people crater right after takeoff in that game and it's on the arcadey end of the spectrum.

UFRA

SapientWolf said:
Are the controls more simmy than BF2? I've seen so many people crater right after takeoff in that game and it's on the arcadey end of the spectrum.

Well, in BF2 I fly using KB and mouse, so it's a little harder to compare the difference in controls, but I would say yes - it's more simmy than BF2.

demolitio

Zenith said:
PC version is out today. Should solve all those control problems.
Exactly what I was thinking. I had trouble controlling it on PS3 but I kind of liked the gameplay so hopefully the PC version hits the mark. I'm pretty good at flying on the consoles using the analog sticks in other games but this one had me flirting with danger every 2 seconds. :lol

Not to mention I'm hoping for at least a few good realistic options for the PC version considering they compare it to DCS:BS. I've been waiting for a good Apache game for a long time...

todahawk

recklessmind said:

Any recommendations for a flight stick that's compatible w/ PS3PC? Something good but not great (super expensive)...

Hahaha, I knew you were gonna get it. Gonna try the demo tonight.

tiddles

Demo is great, controls really smoothly, no problems at all for someone who played Tomahawk and Gunship back in the day... :D Full version here I come!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
greenjerk said:
Hahaha, I knew you were gonna get it. Gonna try the demo tonight.

Yeah I'll buy it, play 3 levels, and then it'll find its way into my blackhole of a backlog. :lol

Still... I appreciate devs who try and bring a little more realism/sim to the consoles. So now that the controls have kind of clicked I feel obligated to support the game. Have to put my money where my mouth is.

And I've been meaning to get a new flight stick for some time now...

Enron

Banned
recklessmind said:

There's a thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS that's pretty affordable. Dunno how it plays, but my thrustmaster Top Gun i used on ps2 was fantastic.

Dead Man

Finally got around to playing the demo. I really liked what they did but don't think this game is for me. I do think it hits a pretty sweet balance between realism and arcade for a flightsim though, and if there were some games more like this, and less like Hawx, I would love it. I didn't really connect with the fast pace of it for a helicopter sim though, but it was certainly well done. I was hoping for a more Janes Longbow type of thing with more planning available, but again, this is very well done.

Go the Russians, apparently.

EL Beefo

Any tips for getting through the third level on the demo (Lord of War I think). I've played it a few times and the furthest I usually got was trying to protect the downed pilots. Once I made it to the point where the rescue chopper was about to pick the survivor up by focusing only on the vehicles but the last survivor still died. I've tried using the zoom in + gun, but once the rpgs start coming it takes to much time dodging them to refocus my aim.

UFRA

EL Beefo said:
Any tips for getting through the third level on the demo (Lord of War I think). I've played it a few times and the furthest I usually got was trying to protect the downed pilots. Once I made it to the point where the rescue chopper was about to pick the survivor up by focusing only on the vehicles but the last survivor still died. I've tried using the zoom in + gun, but once the rpgs start coming it takes to much time dodging them to refocus my aim.

My strategy on this mission was to use a mixture of manual gunning with TADS, and then switching back to the pilot and using hydra rockets to level the buildings. If you pretty much level most of the surrounding buildings, then go back into FLIR view, you'll see the enemies really well. While in FLIR view, aim the crosshairs at a large group of enemies and then fire a hellfire missile. It will guide itself right to the spot where your crosshairs are even without a target lock-on. This will wipeout a ton of footsoldiers quickly.

tiddles

That PSU "non-review" is pretty jaw-dropping... it's a helicopter game that actually, y'know, controls like a helicopter - attitude control on one stick, tail rotor control, thrust - but somehow that's a problem with the game?? Er, perhaps it's a good idea to do just a little more research on how helicopters fly before writing it off as a bad implementation...

Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be a steep learning curve if you haven't played a proper helicopter game before, but I was actually surprised how friendly the controls are, even on Realistic - you can pull off a lot of crazy moves that I'm pretty sure would rip a real helicopter in two, or at least send you spiralling into the ground... are there fewer flight aids on Veteran difficulty, by the way, or is it just more difficult with limited ammo?

I think they've struck a much better balance between simulation and being playable on a console than they did in Birds Of Prey - I found that game pretty twitchy on a pad, and I never felt completely in control, whereas AAA controls very nicely and smoothly.

tiddles

EL Beefo said:

You can still strafe a bit on the left stick while in gunnery mode... I also found you could take quite a few hits from the RPGs before you died. It took me quite a few goes, but in the end the trusty "level everything in sight" approach got me through :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
EL Beefo said:

This doesn't specifically help in that part of the mission, but it's worth noting that in the options you can set the idle time for the gunner to as low as 4 secs instead of the default 8 secs (IIRC). Starts shooting at targets earlier.

Enron

Banned
EL Beefo said:

Don't zoom in all the way. It takes a while to refocus, and then zoom in on another group of baddies. Just depress the zoom trigger about halfway, that should be enough to see soldiers really well and wont take forever to zoom back out. As UFRA said, use hellfire missles to take out large groups (and buildings).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I need tips for the A Damn Shame mission.

Those helicopters are a pain in the ass. They even spawn camp me :lol

UFRA

TTP said:
I need tips for the A Damn Shame mission.

Those helicopters are a pain in the ass. They even spawn camp me :lol

Yup, that's a tough one.

Not sure if you already know this, but using ATA missiles at close range will almost guarantee a hit. Using them from long distance will give the enemy chopper time to deploy flares.

Other than that, do as much crazy movement as you can and try to get close to them. Give your AI gunner an angle to shoot them with while you dodge their rockets. When you are close enough, launch hydra rockets at them as well.

Other than that, trial and error. :lol

Got this yesterday and played a few hours, good stuff. I'm stuck on the sharks in the water mission at the moment though. Can hold off the first few waves of speedboats but I always end up swamped and the friendly boats get wiped out. Can't decide whether it's best to hover and manually use the 30mm or fly around using hydras. Either way I just can't seem to take them out fast enough. Anyone got any tips?

Wikzo

How is local co-op in this game? I really enjoyed playing Battlefield 2 with my brother, especially flying in helicopters, where I was the pilot and he the gunner. But that was on two different PCs, where we each had our own screen to look at.

How does Apache handle co-op on a single TV screen? What view mode are you in, and how does the second player (the gunner) control? Does he have his own crosshair á la Super Mario Galaxy, or can he actually do something more?

Can you play the whole campaign mode in local co-op?

UFRA

Wikzo said:
How is local co-op in this game? I really enjoyed playing Battlefield 2 with my brother, especially flying in helicopters, where I was the pilot and he the gunner. But that was on two different PCs, where we each had our own screen to look at.

How does Apache handle co-op on a single TV screen? What view mode are you in, and how does the second player (the gunner) control? Does he have his own crosshair á la Super Mario Galaxy, or can he actually do something more?

Can you play the whole campaign mode in local co-op?

I honestly haven't played the game in co-op online or locally yet. However, I can answer your final question - yes, you can play the entire campaign in local co-op.

Managed to do the mission I was stuck on. Tried it so many times that I got really good at nailing speedboats with hydras, taking out whole groups of them with each strafing run. Felt really good when I did it with only one friendly remaining. The hardest missions for me are the ones where you have to protect something.

Just got the last few missions to unlock now. Game seems a bit short but I've had a lot of fun with it. I really enjoy the flight model, just flying around is enjoyable. It's actually quite forgiving once you get used to it, you can pull off some crazy moves. I am using a flightstick though which probably helps. Anyway, good game, more people need to play it!

Pylon_Trooper said:
I retract the box comment (on account of it being DD-only, right?)
random quote. no, dcs black shark isn't download only.

surprised it still seems to only be available for pc from yuplay. I guess gaijin have to publish it themselves, activision not interested in pc version or something. yuplay is gaijin's own site after all.

Cheers for the heads-up, Dick. Hmmm...I thought it would have jumped on Steam, or at least pretty soon. Given the publisher, at least!

Curious. Maybe down the line.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
This game looks pretty badass. I wonder how it would play with a Sidewinder...

I wonder if my Sidewinder still works...

Does it play well with a 360 controller, 'cause I might have to go with that. :lol

edit: Dude, just buy it off of Yuplay and add it to steam as a non-steam game.

UFRA

It really sucks that GameSpot, IGN, and other big websites haven't reviewed this yet.

It kinda came out at a bad time - surrounded by games like NFS:HP, GT5, and COD:BO, but it would be nice to see some more reviews!

From the old IL-2 forums here is a review from an actual Apache Pilot, awesome insight.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=199855&postcount=171
Hey guys, Im not new to these forums. I had a different screen name but forgot it (it's been a while). I felt obligated to write a review. Many sites have not reviewed this game and ones that have are some half-assed reviews, such as IGN.com 's review. So I wrote my own and am posting it on as many websites and forums as I can. This game isn't getting the spotlight it deserves. Its long, but I went in depth...and yes I am a real Apache pilot for the US Army. Here we go:

It’s a shame that Apache: Air Assault will fly under most people’s radar (no pun intended) this holiday season with all the other blockbuster games coming out. Especially since it’s release is in the shadow of Call of Duty and with upcoming releases such as Gran Turismo 5, this game is bound to be ignored and in bargain bins after the holiday season. It really is a shame because the game is a true gem.
I fly AH-64D Apache Longbows for the US ARMY. As an aviation nut and pilot, I cringe at most console flight games. I like my flight games with a degree of reality, not the unrealistic arcade games like Top Gun and After Burner. The only console flight games I enjoy are the Ace Combat series…that was until Gaijin Entertainment developed Il-2 Birds of Prey for consoles. Birds of Prey is what I envisioned a perfect console flight game should be. It blended realism with arcade type elements which made it user friendly and playable for console gamers. But, when I heard Gaijin was making an Apache game for consoles I was still skeptical. Helicopters are a lot harder to fly than airplanes. It takes both hands and feet to fly a helicopter and when you throw in radios, weapons, systems, etc., it takes all your fingers and concentration as well. I just didn’t see that translating well to a console game. I’m happy to say, not only did Gaijin do a great job mimicking helicopter flight using a console controller, they made one hell of an authentic Apache game.
The game starts you off with a tutorial mission, in which you must start out using the training difficulty mode. There are three types of difficulty modes: Training, realistic, and veteran. Training mode simplifies everything from controlling the aircraft to the HUD. The controls are as follows: The right stick is your “collective” which in a helicopter is the control that moves a helicopter up and down vertically. You can hover up by pushing your right analog stick up, and hover down pushing down on the right stick. The right analog stick acts as your pedals also. So left or right on the stick will have you spinning to the left or right horizontally, similar to an airplanes yaw. The left stick is the “cyclic” control. In a helicopter, the cyclic is your directional control such as climbing and diving, or banking left or right. It takes coordination of all the controls to properly fly a helicopter. In the training mode, it is fairly easy: Take off with the collective and fly around with the cyclic stick. It is the realistic and veteran modes that requires a lot more coordination and has a steeper learning curve. To speed up in a helicopter, you need to push the cyclic forward, but if you don’t add collective you will start diving and lose altitude. Realistic and veteran applies all these mechanics into the controls. The real treat in playing in these modes though, is the HUD. The HUD in realistic/veteran is almost identical in what us real Apache pilots see in our monocle, (Look up pictures of apache pilots if you don’t know what I am talking about.) from the radar altimeter on the right, to the velocity vector in the center, and the torque meter in the upper left corner, it is very similar to how we look at things in the aircraft. Realistic and Veteran are the same control wise, but Veteran, you get one attempt per mission and once you use all your weapons, you have to land at a predetermined pad to get reloaded. Realistic, you get 4 attempts and reload of weapons happen after a set time in the air.
Now onto the gameplay. there are two main modes of play. The single player campaign and squad operations. Single player is what I expected a single-player campaign to be. The Campaign takes place across three locations: Africa, Asia and Central America. The missions are varied enough, but mostly have you attacking ground targets. There is some air to air combat with other helicopters in the game, but in real life, you will never see an Apache with stinger missiles on the end of its stubby wings. There is just no need to use them in the real world, but sure makes for some good helicopter dog fights in the game. You can switch camera views from 3rd person behind the helicopter view, the pilots seat, co-pilot/gunner (CPG) seat, or just a plain HUD view with no cockpit. The cockpit views are authentic and modeled like the real life thing, which as a real Apache pilot, I was happy such care was taken into getting the details right.
Speaking of authenticity, the game is impressively accurate when it comes to the Apache. The in- game model is accurately recreated down to the side steps and panels on the exterior of the Apache to the button placement and screens on the interior cockpits. Even the weapon systems are portrayed accurately. One of my favorite things to do is press L3 which enable auto hover. The aircraft will hold the same position and altitude you engage it at, something that you can do in the real aircraft as well. While you are in auto hover, you can control the TADS (Target Acquisition and Designation Sight) in DVO (black and white day TV) or FLIR (Forward looking Infra Red) to pick out vehicles and human targets easier to pick off with the 30mm cannon. There is mission where you have to do just this and cover your down wingmen before they are over run. Just don’t hover too long or you will get picked off with a SAM or RPG. The TADS image is created accurately as well. Go on you tube and look up gun tape footage from real Apaches and you can see the developers created the TADS HUD accurately as well. And just FYI, contrary to what people think, the camera is not part of the gun. It is the bottom turret on the nose of the aircraft. That’s what the CPG uses to target and designate, as well as using the FLIR image to fly at night.
Have a friend over and don’t want to take turns playing single player? Hook up another controller and play the single player campaign together, one as the pilot, the other as the CPG, which adds a whole level of fun. Just like the real life aircraft, the two crew members have to work together. The pilot has to hold a stable platform for more accurate weapons while the CPG controls the weapons systems, for example rockets. Coop rockets require the pilot to line up the reticle while the CPG shoots the rockets. (It’s opposite in the real thing, the CPG uses the TADS to line up the shot while the pilot shoots the rockets, teamwork is required either way.)
Squad-Operations is another Co-op mode where you and a friend can crew the same apache or you and three others can complete a whole set of missions (that are different than the single player missions) online. The missions can be done solo and are similar to the single player missions, but are harder to try solo due to the fact there are mission objectives that are coop dependent and accomplished much easier with a buddy.
Graphically, the game doesn’t impress that much. They claim to use satellite imagery to create the scenery with, but the colors seem washed out. It isn’t ugly by any means, just doesn’t impress. Like I said before, the vehicle models are done well and are accurate to their real life counterparts. Everything that are in the “levels” is interactive. Buildings can be destroyed, whether by shooting them or crashing into them, you can chop down trees using the 30mm cannon. I enjoyed crashing into some trees and watching my helicopter leaving a path of destruction among the trees. The explosion effects look good as well. You will take damage as well that both affect performance and the exterior of the aircraft. Overall, I thought IL-2 had a better graphical package.
Sound is accurately portrayed. From the sound of the helicopter to the weapons. The voice acting is well done and most of it is radio chatter during the missions. The musical score is great as well. Not sure who composed it, but it fits the game well, from the menus to the in-game music. Nothing to really complain about sound-wise.
Now, if I had to change or add anything to the game, it would be the inclusion of night missions. We fly using a FLIR system at night, not night vision goggles. Again, look at the nose of the aircraft and the top turret is the pilot’s night vision sensor. That turret is slaved to the pilots head, so when he turns his head left, the turret turns left while he looks at his FLIR image through his/her monocle. The pilot flies at night as if his eyeball was on the nose of the aircraft, and it is extremely hard to get used to. I just wished the developers had a couple missions at night where they could have implemented the pilots night vision somehow. I guess there is room for that in a future game….

BOTTOM LINE:
….But we may not see a sequel, I just have a feeling this game isn’t going to sell well. The genre isn’t that popular to begin with and with all these popular games coming out, this one will get over looked. It is a damn shame. It is a great game, and if you are a fan of the genre or an aviation/helicopter enthusiast, this is defiantly a no-brainer. Like IL-2, this game blends arcade and sim elements for a perfect console flight game and remains faithful to its source material: flying a real Apache. I highly recommend it.

Hope this review helps.

For people that own this, is the co op online or only two controllers? Or both?

Also is the co op two apaches or one pilot/one gunner?

Edit- nevermind just saw it.

Awesome stuff here. The demo was real cool and I've been wanting a modern sim lately. :)

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Definitely going to pick this up. I haven't played a decent helicopter game / sim since DI's Apache Longbow / Hind combo, and the above review is extremely reassuring.

Top Bottom