• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Raistlin

Right. I guess the people buying this thing are "hipsters who think they are into art but are not very good" too?

Cintiq_Companion_2.jpg

But a Surface Pro 3, let alone a Surface 3, are cheaper.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That's pretty much how drawing works, isn't it? I think I'm missing something :p

Most people do not draw with paper flat on the table, that's extremely uncomfortable over long periods of time.

So hold up. There's no real way to get a nice angle to draw on this thing is there? You're pretty much always going to be drawing on a flat surface?

TBH, I'm kinda shocked that people haven't taken a fat dump on the Smart Keyboard. Like, almost three years after the Surface and all they could come up with was a keyboard that folds like any other third party accessory?

Almost every single criticism lobbed at the Surface 1 kickstand (released 3 years ago) is applicable here. Honestly, I was hoping for a lot more from Apple in this regard, if for no other reason to make sure MS doesn't get complacent.

Futureman

That's pretty much how drawing works, isn't it? I think I'm missing something :p

I think he means how the Surface has a kickstand that you can prop it up at an angle.

I have a Surface and generally just draw with it in my lap, though it is nice to put the kicstand in the most open position sometimes for a little bit of tilt.

PensOwl

Banned
If this thing has 4gb of ram, maybe now Microsoft will actually offer an 8gb version of the surface at a reasonable price

jelly

TBH, I'm kinda shocked that people haven't taken a fat dump on the Smart Keyboard. Like, almost three years after the Surface and all they could come up with was a keyboard that folds like any other third party accessory?

Almost every single criticism lobbed at the Surface 1 kickstand (released 3 years ago) is applicable here. Honestly, I was hoping for a lot more from Apple in this regard, if for no other reason to make sure MS doesn't get complacent.

True, very underwhelming but I suppose that's Apple, sell users on the next version the following year and have something new to show that can be done in a year. They know it isn't the best. Apple Fabric now, Apple angles next.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I use tablets as a digital sketchbook, no of my sketchbooks have kick stands so it's no biggie :)

The deciding factor between the sp4 and iPad pro for will be stylus responsiveness and price.

I'm getting into a lot more zbrush these days so sp4 might win out in the end.

Futureman

Was there any word on if the Pencil will work other tablets? Mostly the iPad Mini 4?

Nope. It requires a specific hardware digitizer to work. Probably be Pro only at least for awhile.

Maybe trickle it down to iPad and Mini if they start to stagnate.

This is simply the largest problem this tablet has. Using a mobile operating system for a 13" screen makes this device a companion device that is too large to be particularly mobile without it being a primary device.

The point is, with the iPad Pro, iOS will, even more so than it already is, begin to become that type of device.

The iPad is a lot more than a bigger screened iPhone. It took me getting one for my parents to realize how much more fully featured, different, and production-focused apps are on the iPad compared to the iPhone.

Conversely, this is the same reason why the iPhone 6 Plus isn't as good as an iPad. It's quite literally an iPhone with a bigger screen.

Please educate me on the differences between the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 and the iPad Pro, that make the one thing a "real workgrade tablet", and the other one a toy for "hipsters". You seem to have more information about things like pen resolution, pen pressure levels, and software lineup than everybody else.

Joke post?

Cintiq Companion:

- X64 CPU can run any real productivity app, such as Photoshop, Painter, Z Brush, Maya, Solidworks, etc...
- Pen works with Wintab, so just about any art software on Windows will support the pen.
- Can be configure up to 16GB of RAM so a huge pixel canvas with multiple layers can be worked with.
- Runs real SATA SSD (~500MB/s) up to 512GB in size.
- Has multiple USB 3.0 ports. Has SD card slots.
- Has HDMI out so you can run a second monitor.
- You can attach a mouse and a real keyboard to it.

IPad Pro:

- ARM CPU can only run iOS apps. No Photoshop, No Painter, No Z Brush etc...
- Pen pressure and tilt only works if the app is written to work with it. Existing iOS art apps will have to be patched to work with it.
- Only has 4GB of RAM best case scenario. Might be only 2GB.
- Runs eMMC storage. Fast for eMMC, but no where as fast as SATA SSD. Limited to 128GB.
- No USB ports. No SD card slots.
- No Monitor out.
- No real mouse and keyboard support.

norm9

But a Surface Pro 3, let alone a Surface 3, are cheaper.

That may be true, but this an Apple product. *shadow dancing*

ETA- there is seriously zero reason why anyone would buy this over a surface pro 3 or the upcoming 4 other than brand loyalty.

The" Pencil" does seem interesting in technology. It's similar set up N-Trig and Wacom Active ES in that it uses the Projected Capacitive touch layer for X/Y coordinate reporting, and the pen is powered. But it uses Li-Po for form factor (thinness) and also more importantly, it polls the data @ astounding 240Hz! N-Trig polls at 120Hz IIRC, and Wacom polls at 133Hz for consumer, and 200Hz for professional line. So it even outdoes CIntiqs and Intros Pros.

They also added a tilt sensor on the pen as well, which I'm pretty sure is a separate sensor, unlike Wacom Pro line what uses the sensor coil distance from digitizer board to determined the tilt.

I like the approach of using LiPo instead of AAAA as with N-Trig and Wacom Active ES since you.no longer conserve power to try and last months, and thus you can jack up the polling rate and output more current at the tip so you don't have the dragging cursor problem of Surface Pro 3. It does make for a more expensive pen, but I think it's a good compromise as an option. N-Trig and Wacom Active ES should offer a LiPo powered pen as an option.

Riptwo

ETA- there is seriously zero reason why anyone would buy this over a surface pro 3 or the upcoming 4 other than brand loyalty.
As a Surface Pro 3 owner, I find this a bit absurd. I feel like my Surface Pro is both an awful tablet with an embarrassing lack of apps, and a clunky laptop that isn't pleasant to use with my most needed desktop apps. That being said, I like the screen size and pen input, both of which are coming to the iPad Pro. And while it may lack a full OS, after dealing with sleep issues, driver problems, and a type cover that Windows doesn't reliably recognize, I think I'm cool with a big tablet that's focused on being a tablet.

So one question which I'm sure has been answered but I cannot find it.
Can I rest my hand on the screen while using the pencil?

According to reports this thing has excellent palm-rejection

For anyone curious about the palm rejection....

"That aside, while we were scribbling with it the pen seemed to work more or less as Apple described. It responded to light and firm presses, and as we tilted the pen the lines we were drawing changed. Palm and wrist rejection also seems to work well—at one point an Apple rep running a demo laid his entire forearm on the iPad's screen without affecting the pencil. Apple includes an undisclosed number of replacement tips for the pencil, since they'll wear down over time (the representative we talked to compared it to a ballpoint pen refill), and Apple will also sell replacement tips separately"

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/hands-on-with-the-ipad-pro-its-keyboard-and-its-pencil/

Jimrpg

The iPad pro is just for enthusiasts who like to draw and want an upgrade over existing the existing iPad. As someone who bought an aftermarket stylus and used it in sketchbook, they were horrible and difficult to use. Anyways I doubt professionals are going to switch over. It's just named pro because it's bigger. The keyboard looks pretty bad, they should have gone with something like the keyboard in the new MacBook.

I doubt it's for office people, i think most people who want to do documents just want to do it on their laptop. The true upgrade here is the apple pencil and there's lots of people who have been waiting for this. Nobody is carrying a cintiq to the art gallery but they will take an iPad. It's just a bit pricy.

The iPad pro is just for enthusiasts who like to draw and want an upgrade over existing the existing iPad. As someone who bought an aftermarket stylus and used it in sketchbook, they were horrible and difficult to use. Anyways I doubt professionals are going to switch over. It's just named pro because it's bigger. The keyboard looks pretty bad, they should have gone with something like the keyboard in the new MacBook.

I doubt it's for office people, i think most people who want to do documents just want to do it on their laptop. The true upgrade here is the apple pencil and there's lots of people who have been waiting for this. Nobody is carrying a cintiq to the art gallery but they will take an iPad. It's just a bit pricy.

Funny you say that, it IS the keyboard from the new MacBook. Same low-profile butterfly switches, different material on top

Dio

Banned
How does the screen feel to draw on? If it feels like a regular glass screen and is all slippery when you put a stylus on it, it's kind of pointless, at least for me. On top of that, it's iOS I can't exactly use 3D editing programs or zBrush on it - and even if it could, there's no 3dsmax for any Apple OS.

The huge benefit of using something like this is the simulation of feeling like you're drawing on actual paper; if they got that wrong this is kinda pointless. Cintiqs get it right so I don't see why Apple couldn't.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As a Surface Pro 3 owner, I find this a bit absurd. I feel like my Surface Pro is both an awful tablet with an embarrassing lack of apps, and a clunky laptop that isn't pleasant to use with my most needed desktop apps. That being said, I like the screen size and pen input, both of which are coming to the iPad Pro. And while it may lack a full OS, after dealing with sleep issues, driver problems, and a type cover that Windows doesn't reliably recognize, I think I'm cool with a big tablet that's focused on being a tablet.

My wife struggled with this. But I thnk you have to consider 'tablet mode' is really just like the mac's full screen mode for apps. Just makes normal apps full screen and you flip between them one at a time. So you don't necessarily need lots of Windows store apps, you can use all the normal Windows ones.

I do agree there is a shortage of properly touch optimised apps though. It just isn't that pleasant to r long periods as a tablet, comoared to an iPad which is really straightforward

People that are arguing that the iPad isn't running 'proper' OSX are missing the point that it is running 'proper' iOS which for the form factor is probably the best OS out there. It won't make a great laptop.surface pro is a lovely thin, light, portable laptop that can also work as a laptop, but is less comfortable adapting to that mode.

Which you prefer depends on what you are likely to do with them. I use my iPad Air 2 almost exclusively in the evening on the sofa and rarely need to jump back to my PC to do anything (only thing I'm missing is a decent photo workflow). But I don't know if the iPad pro would be too large to use as a primary tablet. Plex would be amazing on it, but browsing GAF?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seems a good place to ask - is there a decent workflow using the iPad to import photos and do some basic checks? I use Lightroom on my desktop and have an SD card reader with lightning adapter. But I shoot raw+jpg and all I'd want to do is pipe the photos across to my PC, but using the iPad as triage. Does mobile Lightroom let you do that? I don't have it because you have to pay a subscription to use it, but I might consider it.

If it doesn't,then I think that kind of workflow is something that would absolutely need to get sorted out for iPad pro - I don't think many people will use it on its own, but in conjunction with a pc/Mac so synchronising files/integrating into existing workflows will be critical.

Dio

Banned
You're so edgy. Reddit taught you well

To be fair, I kind of see where he's coming from. Wacom's attempt at getting money from people not actually super into art is the 'manga' branded tiny-ass tablets for teens/etc to buy and use a couple times and then never use again. The professionals all use the Intuos Pro models (if they wanted a small one, they'd get the small Pro) and Cintiqs.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Joke post?

Another one who can't be bothered to read the discussion he is responding to, yet feels justified to reply in a condescending way. There you go:

As already written, just from the things we know, it is lighter, has a longer battery life, has fan-less operation (which is one thing that really sucks on the Cintiq companion), a higher display resolution, and likely a better display in general. And since Adobe has at least been on stage and Apple is running the device with a "professional applications" pitch, it will be interesting to see which applications with which feature sets the device will have, or how well it will work as a companion device to a desktop setup.

It's definitely lighter than the Cintiq Companion. And crucially it has better battery life, fan-less operation, and a better screen. I might have to checkout that Photoshop Sketch app. Maybe it's already sufficient as a companion app to the desktop version of Photoshop.

And you know that because you too already know the entire software lineup that the device will have, and hence can make condescending jokes about it. I wrote that, depending on what developers of such applications will release for the device, the iPad pro could easily rival the Cintiq. That's why I mentioned that the fact that Apple is marketing the thing with a "pro application" pitch might indicate that such applications will come. That's why I mentioned that Adobe's presence on stage might indicate that they could release Photoshop versions and/or "pro"-oriented companion software for the device. And that's why I asked for the device's RAM.

But I guess that some people just want to come into a thread about Apple products and leave a shit post without reading the actual discussion.

And your list of specs didn't even address the actual point of that post, namely responding to the ludicrous statement that the iPad Pro is only "for hipsters" who are "not very good at art".

I think the iPad Pro is really interesting as a digital sketch book and I'm sure the pen is good enough for that task (the tilt sensor is really great). I'll definitely keep a close eye on the product line and hope they'll make the pen compatible with the other iPads (doubtful, but hey), because almost 13" might be a tad too big as a portable device for me. I'd actually prefer something like the iPad mini for digital sketching on the go.

The lack of force, sorry, "3D" touch and the hilariously bad designed keyboard cover also screams first-gen product to me.

Another one who can't be bothered to read the discussion he is responding to, yet feels justified to reply in a condescending way. There you go:

And your list of specs didn't even address the actual point of that post, namely responding to the ludicrous statement that the iPad Pro is only "for hipsters" who are "not very good at art".

There are already companion apps for the other iPads (which artists already use). What they've done is made the screen bigger and created an accessory stylus. Oh, and added a "pro" moniker.

I for one would never use an iPad as a colour critical monitor because there is no way of knowing for sure that the colours I'm looking at are accurate. On Windows and OSX you can install system-wide colour profiles, but not for iOS. So, just based on that alone the "pro" label is meaningless (at least for me).

If they want to create a pro tablet then they should put some effort into creating an OS feature-set that can be better utilised on the pro model. And if they don't want multiple iOS's then have one with the other features only being available on the pro version.

There are already companion apps for the other iPads (which artists already use). What they've done is made the screen bigger and created an accessory stylus. Oh, and added a "pro" moniker.

I for one would never use an iPad as a colour critical monitor because there is no way of knowing for sure that the colours I'm looking at are accurate. On Windows and OSX you can install system-wide colour profiles, but not for iOS. So, just based on that alone the "pro" label is meaningless (at least for me).

You know you've been saying that a lot in this thread. Which is totally valid and I would never take that away from you

But it begs the question. If this product is irrelevant for your life and work, why are you still here?

You know you've been saying that a lot in this thread. Which is totally valid and I would never take that away from you

But it begs the question. If this product is irrelevant for your life and work, why are you still here?
You know what I'm doing right now? Typing this post on a macbook pro. I also perform onset technical support for the camera department on various film shoots, and a part of the job includes streaming footage directly to iPads (because the software I use is limited to them) from my apple devices.

But because of their dumb locked down approach to iOS I can't calibrate their tablets to ensure the colours on the 'amazing retina display' are worth a damn.

So that is one pro use that they'll never cater for. And that is coming from someone that uses their products on a daily basis.

You know what I'm doing right now? Typing this post on a macbook pro. I also perform onset technical support for the camera department on various film shoots, and a part of the job includes streaming footage directly to iPads (because the software I use is limited to them) from my apple devices.

But because of their dumb locked down approach to iOS I can't calibrate their tablets to ensure the colours on the 'amazing retina display' are worth a damn.

So that is one pro use that they'll never cater for. And that is coming from someone that uses their products on a daily basis.

Expertly dodged

Expertly dodged
I'm not dodging shit.

I am a customer that is annoyed that they are not addressing fundamental flaws in their products. So excuse me if I feel the need to voice my annoyance at their tendency to stick bullshit "pro" labels on products when they've put next to no effort in meeting the requirements of that market.

But the professional market is tiny in comparison to the typical consumer market they usually operate in, so I understand it. But it is a bit laughable that some people in here genuinely think they're targeting the professional market with this product simply because they add "pro" onto the end and trot Adobe on stage to walk us through another one of their dumbed down paint by numbers apps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not dodging shit.

I am a customer that is annoyed that they are not addressing fundamental flaws in their products. So excuse me if I feel the need to voice my annoyance at their tendency to stick bullshit "pro" labels on products when they've put next to no effort in meeting the requirements of that market.

Colour calibration is pretty important, especially in the sector that is most likely to use the additional features like the stylus - digital artists, photographers etc. It is a surprising omission.

I think the lack of a file system can be worked around with apps including decent networking support and hooking directly up to a parent app, or with desktop apps working better with icloud. But that is very much in its infancy so it'll take some time before we see just how well eg Adobe CC will integrate desktop and ipad pro. Early adopters are going to earn that title in November I think (although I expect most of the major design apps on ipad will update quickly)

Blackhead

Redarse
[Request] We need sketch for the iPad Pro!
[Reply] We don't have plans for an iPad pro version at the moment. Yes, it has a beautiful screen, but there's more to consider, such as how to adapt the UI for touch without compromising the experience.

But the biggest problem is the platform. Apps on iOS sell for unsustainably low prices due to the lack of trials. We cannot port Sketch to the iPad if we have no reasonable expectation of earning back on our investment. Maintaining an application on two different platforms and provide one of them for a 10th of it's value won't work, and iPad volumes are low enough to disqualify the "make it up in volume" argument.

In the meantime, we focus on what we do best; a great, modern app on OS X for design professionals.

:|

bionic77

Do Windows tablets have both capacitive and resistive in their panels?

If so what is the advantage of Apples approach on this tablet if any?

Hoo-doo

Banned

Lol, aside from a huge list of differentiating factors, there's no reason. Sure.

Read the damn thread. Personally, I wouldn't want a surface pro because it runs 'full windows'. I use Windows 10 every day on desktop and I despise it, and you'll read plenty of comments in this thread that W10 tablet mode is a piss poor experience. It's an ultrabook with a detachable keyboard and touchscreen. Not a tablet first and foremost.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

I checked the feature list for iOS 9, and it apparently does not add color profiles as new feature. Shouldn't be hard for Apple to do that. It's indeed a bit weird that they haven't done it yet.

Top Bottom