• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
You bastard. 10 minutes after I left work (40 minutes after I was supposed to) the tracking updated to say it was being scanned by the courier. So no delivery today at all.

Fuck them.

I got it from T-Mobile germany :) maybe that helped.

I can tell you all so far...damn what a great phone. nice feel, really fast even coming from an iPhone 6 and the camera is amazing. after playing with it and studying vocabulary since 11 o'clock the battery is only down to 88%. mind you I've been using it nearly all the time.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Aw man. iPhone release days are so hype. I'm not even getting an SE and the feeling on the internet is familiar. Can't wait for the fall. I'm taking a sick day on the day the iPhone 7 gets to my door.

I got it from T-Mobile germany :) maybe that helped.

I can tell you all so far...damn what a great phone. nice feel, really fast even coming from an iPhone 6 and the camera is amazing. after playing with it and studying vocabulary since 11 o'clock the battery is only down to 88%. mind you I've been using it nearly all the time.

How does the front-facing camera look in low-light without the flash? If you could please provide an example or two I'd be stoked. :)

I am not 100% familiar with how iCloud works for backups, so I thought I'd ask here and get an answer of you guys :)

I am buying an SE for my wife today, so last night I performed a backup on iCloud from her phone (Settings > iCloud > "Backup Now" option). The phone is a surprise for her, so I did it on the quiet.

Anyway, when we set the phone up tonight, will there be a "Log in to iCloud" option when you turn the SE on? The iCloud backup was about 15gb last night, mostly photos. Assuming there is an option like that, will that just download all phone contacts, photos etc to the SE?

What about WhatsApp? Does that backup on iCloud like it does on GoogleDrive?

Thanks!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
How does the front-facing camera look in low-light without the flash? If you could please provide an example or two I'd be stoked. :)
I'm in a hurry but I made you two. one without and one with the flash in my bathroom.
bathroom has no windows, door 3/4 closed, no light-source in the bathroom on. harsh conditions :D
v53uYs8.jpg
ohruR2A.jpg

eek.
i always set up a new phone as a new phone.
Contacts and Photos are synced via the cloud anyways.
I already had to reset my iphone 6 three days ago because of the stupid booking.com bug..so why not restore the messages with my friends so far :D

I'm in a hurry but I made you two. one without and one with the flash in my bathroom.
bathroom has no windows, door 3/4 closed, no light-source in the bathroom on. harsh conditions :D

I already had to reset my iphone 6 three days ago because of the stupid booking.com bug..so why not restore the messages with my friends so far :D
Thank you so much for doing that! I really appreciate it. :)

Those pictures look pretty good honestly. I'll check my AT&T store today to see if I can pick an SE up. :)

Fliesen

dunno... usually, something something something battery life?

My wife has decided she's making the jump back to IOS after several years with Samsung's (from the S3). Is it basically a 6s in a 5s shell? Seems like a reasonably good deal if so.

Guess Who

Banned
My wife has decided she's making the jump back to IOS after several years with Samsung's (from the S3). Is it basically a 6s in a 5s shell? Seems like a reasonably good deal if so.

Basically. No 3D Touch and the same front camera and display (and general body) as the 5S, but the SoC and rear camera of the 6S (and support for Apple Pay, Live Photos, Hey Siri, etc.).

Guess Who

Banned
I should not backup my iPhone 5 with iTunes and restore it on my new SE? Why?

I've gone from an iPod touch 2nd gen > 4th gen > 5th gen > iPhone 5 > iPhone 6, backing up and restoring at every point along the way, and it works just fine. If it works for you, don't worry about it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
The only annoying thing I found about my iPhone SE is that my new display has warmer colours than on any other apple device we own.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Are you sure it is not glue? Leave it on full brightness on pure white for hours and see what happens.
Afaik glue comes in dots. I had that with my iPhone 4 ^.^/ but just to make sure I'll try it. I mean it is known that there are always cooler and warmer displays in iphones.
Edit: loaded a white picture on my iphone and now the wait game begins.

Well according to T-Mobile most people who pre ordered didn't even get an instore unit instead I'm directed to order one... With ground shipping. I'll pass I'll get one in a month or so

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The only annoying thing I found about my iPhone SE is that my new display has warmer colours than on any other apple device we own.
That's well known. It's mentioned in many reviews that it simply has a warmer screen. No need to leave it on. lol

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
That's well known. It's mentioned in many reviews that it simply has a warmer screen. No need to leave it on. lol

I only read that in one review from engadget, do you have another one for me :D? but it actually just confused me because it's warmer than the ipad mini 1 and 2 we have and the iphone 5 and 6 ^^.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I only read that in one review from engadget, do you have another one for me :D? but it actually just confused me because it's warmer than the ipad mini 1 and 2 we have and the iphone 5 and 6 ^^.
I just remember that being the case at the time. I read that Engadget review stating as much, and I believe there was another review I read that said the same thing but I don't remember which. I don't think you'll be able to 'burn' the warmth out of it. I've always felt most warm screens feel more natural anyways.

HUELEN10

I don't want to take it out of the case, but... I haven't been this happy about a small computer since June 24th 2010. This is, hands-down, the most beautiful phone I've ever owned, and I am in the process of mounting my backup right now. Still though, even using some basic apps, it's soo fast!

I will happily answer any and all questions.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
People use cases with this sturdy design? Ugh.

Btw, they're all sold out around me. I was hoping to pick one up today.

HUELEN10

People use cases with this sturdy design? Ugh.

Btw, they're all sold out around me. I was hoping to pick one up today.
I feel really guilty using a case, I mean the 4 looked like it was MADE for the Bumper, but the 5 design not so much. That being said, it looks spectacular bare, and the matte chamfered edges make the design look so gorgeous.

I am using a wallet can though, so my phone IS my wallet!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I feel really guilty using a case, I mean the 4 looked like it was MADE for the Bumper, but the 5 design not so much. That being said, it looks spectacular bare, and the matte chamfered edges make the design look so gorgeous.

I'm using the brown apple leather case which looks really good on the white/silver iPhone SE :p like...classy good.
I used my iPhone 5 without the case and all the marks in the edges and scratches made me reconsider this time ^^

Chuckl3s

I always felt guilty too about my 5s. Its a nice design but I'm always worried as well about dropping it or whatever. So I wanted a nice case that would be slim enough to still show the design of the phone. I currently have this case: http://amzn.com/B00FFM7UKG for my 5S and I might use it when I get my SE.

Gandie

I'm using the brown apple leather case which looks really good on the white/silver iPhone SE :p like...classy good.
I used my iPhone 5 without the case and all the marks in the edges and scratches made me reconsider this time ^^

I ordered the brown one as well, but sent it back after unpacking it today. Don't like the colour. Ordered a bright blue leather case via ebay. Still cheap, hopefully it doesn't clash too hard with the space grey.

yonder

Thinking about buying one as my first quality smart phone, but I'm wondering if the 16GB version is enough? I have an old budget Lumia with only 8GB of storage at the moment, but since the camera sucks the only things I have on my phone are a few pictures, couple apps, some music (like 4-5 albums) and some rotating podcasts. That's it. I can see myself taking some more pictures if I had the SE, and I'd probably have more apps and stuff (it would be sweet to finally have access to some good apps and games...), but other than that I don't think I need too much storage.

For those of you with iPhones, how much storage do you feel is necessary for someone like me? Is 16GB enough or will I end up getting frustrated after a while? A 100 bucks extra is quite a bit of money to me, but I'd hate to feel like I had too little storage space in my first proper smart phone.

I don't want to take it out of the case, but... I haven't been this happy about a small computer since June 24th 2010. This is, hands-down, the most beautiful phone I've ever owned, and I am in the process of mounting my backup right now. Still though, even using some basic apps, it's soo fast!

I will happily answer any and all questions.

How is the display warmth on yours? An earlier poster commented on how warm it was for his.

Yeah just got my 64gb space grey. Upgraded from a iPhone 5 that had to be plugged in orbit would die. My god what a difference.
Phone feels great.
Battery life is fantastic.
Internals are blazing fast.

Love it!!

Shaneus

Even though I already have a handful of cases for my 5S, I couldn't resist lashing out and getting this sucker. Not sure how it'll look with a white/silver SE, but I don't care.

Also have a cheap and nasty DAISO 5S screen protector, so that should keep me out of trouble too.

Now, just have to wait for the delivery (again)...

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Seems to be a lottery as with any other iOS launch I've seen IRL. Things look nearly identical than my iPad Mini 4, which is on the cooler side.
I hate you ;_;
no I don't >_> just jealous because I like my colours cooler
But I won't start playing the display lottery. Who knows what kind of display I would get after an exchange lol.

HUELEN10

Thanks. That's sort of what I expected. Although I've yet to see a warm display on an iPhone 6/6S, I think.
For whatever reason, and this is purely form my experience and what I've seen, the white bezeled models seem to have more of a chance of having a warmer screen.

As for me right now, I am uploading a video which should debunk some garbage that people are talking about elsewhere about shitty Wifi antenna...

Shaneus

Got it! Now just doing a backup of my 5S. And I'll have to try and live without a jailbreak, at least for the time being. Argh.

entremet

I played with this at a Best Buy.

I'm conflicted. I have a 5s and this just seems too much of the same.

One my favorite things of new phones is getting a new form factor. While I do love the 5 design and size, it seems tired to me already. Weird since I was excited about this previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom