• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple isues press release about Beyonce's new album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't really find full versions of the songs on youtube and the little I did hear of one song was total garbage. But it's pop, so of course people buy it in droves. Crazy that she broke the record for fastest-selling album, though. Screw iTunes exclusivity though. I don't want low-quality mp3's.

Thats great and all, but iTunes sells AAC's.

Nameless

Not a huge fan on Bey's music but I'm impressed as all hell by everything about this release.

Hopefully Queen Adele will do somethibg similar when she returns.

reKon

Banned
I don't understand how this didn't leak. I think I remember nothing coming out for Yeezus until the night before it's release and I thought that was impressive.

I don't understand how this didn't leak. I think I remember nothing coming out for Yeezus until the night before it's release and I thought that was impressive.

Surround yourself with the right people and threaten to sue them, their families, and friends for every penny they're worth if they so much as say anything.

Holy shit that's incredibly impressive. Isn't it more expensive than most albums too?

Yeah, it's 16 bucks. Definitely the highest I've seen in a while on iTunes, but considering it comes with 32 total parts (14 songs + 17 music videos) it's a great price.

Her best album to date, and so glad to see it get the exposure it deserves. That and ARTPOP are the best pop albums this year and it's too bad the latter didn't get much clout. Oh well.

Honestly the best part of this strategy is that she's so insistent on making people buy ALBUMS now instead of singles that she forces the buyers to invest in the entire project instead of picking and choosing. Using the exact service that killed albums to SELL albums is a stroke a genius in my book. Only Beyonce could have pulled this off though.

MIMIC

Banned
Surround yourself with the right people and threaten to sue them, their families, and friends for every penny they're worth if they so much as say anything.

In other words: "The Surrogate, Part II" =p

But wow at her numbers. I've been hearing that Beyonce's stunt is being considered a "game-changer". Like...how? People are just gonna randomly release albums/make then iTunes exclusives?

Just realised that loads of websites published best of 2013 album lists, before this album came out. I assume sites aren't going to change the articles to accommodate for it, but it shows why you should wait until 2013 is actually over before doing a list. Most labels avoid the month cause of Christmas and all that, but still.

ctothej

Apologies for my ignorance, but why is just short of a million albums sold globally impressive? Out of that Beyonce sees maybe a hundred thousand dollars, which probably barely gets her through a bad shopping day in Louis Vuitton.

Didn't Backstreet Boys and NSync in their hayday do like 2 mil first week?

I think people haven't kept up with album sales. It's next to impossible to break a million these days. And breaking a million with no physical CDs and only three days of sales? I don't even think Adele could do that. Compared to the sales of every other female popstar this year, Beyonce's numbers are shockingly good.

MIMIC

Banned
I think people haven't kept up with album sales. It's next to impossible to break a million these days. And breaking a million with no physical CDs and only three days of sales? I don't even think Adele could do that. Compared to the sales of every other female popstar this year, Beyonce's numbers are shockingly good.

Taylor Swift did it just last year.

Satch

Banned
You are forced to buy the whole album on iTunes? That seems ass backwards, no wonder she sold so many albums.

Along with the videos as well. Selling albums by forcing the consumers hand.
hey, she wanted people to enjoy her album as a whole, not just in pieces

she completed her art and put it out for people to consume as she intended when she was ready. thats respectable imo

Warning alot of gifs coming up.

Courtesy of Tumblr.

tumblr_mxv8gu4egw1r8nodco1_250.gif

tumblr_mxv8gu4egw1r8nodco4_250.gif

tumblr_mxv8gu4egw1r8nodco2_250.gif

tumblr_mxv8gu4egw1r8nodco3_250.gif

tumblr_mxv8gu4egw1r8nodco5_400.gif
I will never understand the appeal of these music.

MIMIC

Banned
Anyone know the previous iTunes record holder?

EDIT: Never mind. It was Taylor Swift's "Red" album (465K)

BigDug13

The crazy thing to me is that there was zero money spent on marketing basically. Word of mouth through social media sites sold nearly every copy.

MIMIC

Banned
The crazy thing to me is that there was zero money spent on marketing basically. Word of mouth through social media sites sold nearly every copy.

Exactly. It's really amazing. I guess that's where the "game-changer" factors in; using social media (most mostly word-of-mouth) instead of traditional promotion (appearances, TV spots, etc) to promote an album.

I wonder if someone will try the same stunt with a movie/video game/book/fashion line

PSGames

First Jay-z with his 1 million sales to Samsung and now this. Whoever's coming up with these ideas is a Genius.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Pretty sure taking over iTunes cost a bit, but yes it's an amazing release strategy.

faridmon

I will never understand the appeal of these music.

I am not fan of these pop music myself, but even I (as a music snob :p) know why people love those kind of music. I mean they are everywhere and you don't need research to know what is what. They are on TV and Radio and they are easy to listen to. Your friend talk about it and your work/ school talk about it, the environment around is solely revolving around pop. Someone must be a very big snob, idiot or naive if he/she doesn't understand why they appeal to a large demography.

On the subject: I really hope this doesn't become a trend. Fuck iTunes exclusivity, Forced album package and overall no announcement of an album. I like the fact that there is no Single though since they spoil the album.

Mumei

Sorry I'm not involved in weird stan wars, so I couldn't care less about metacritic. I just don't like it. But it doesn't really make me any bit mad or bothered

I think he was suggesting that, in fact, the critical consensus is that the content is good, perhaps the best of her career, so it isn't just about the event but about the content as well.

I don't know if you can really separate the two (hype influences reviewers, and a surprise release probably would as well, and the positive word of mouth and reviews obviously fueled the sales we saw), but he wasn't saying "You should like it"; he was addressing an argument you had made in your previous post.

I think he was suggesting that, in fact, the critical consensus is that the content is good, perhaps the best of her career, so it isn't just about the event but about the content as well.

I don't know if you can really separate the two (hype influences reviewers, and a surprise release probably would as well, and the positive word of mouth and reviews obviously fueled the sales we saw), but he wasn't saying "You should like it"; he was addressing an argument you had made in your previous post.
That doesn't change my argument that I prescribe it to be more about the event as I don't see much difference from this album than any others. She still follows sounds instead of creating them and she still is creating spreadsheet music that offer little glimpse into herself as a person or artist. Pointing out the score is exactly "but you're wrong because of metacritic."

Now I'm okay with someone explaining to me why it's better and has good content, but a number really isn't doing much.

Majmun

That doesn't change my argument that I prescribe it to be more about the event as I don't see much difference from this album than any others. She still follows sounds instead of creating them and she still is creating spreadsheet music that offer little glimpse into herself as a person or artist.

So you basically didn't listen to Beyoncé

Bye

Moze

Banned
She had free promotion from all the news sites that reported on the fact she released her album randomly with no promotion. I can't see other artists being as successful with that marketing technique, especially if it becomes the norm

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
hey, she wanted people to enjoy her album as a whole, not just in pieces

she completed her art and put it out for people to consume as she intended when she was ready. thats respectable imo

that's great, I like the album, but doesn't mean that I agree with forcing this type of idea onto people when they've been conditioned to do it the other way.

maybe now apple/iTunes will take the "album" seriously and some of the hold out artists (Tool mostly have been pretty adamant to not put their music on the service because their records aren't meant to be heard as single tracks) will be allowed the same advantage of charging just for the album and no singles.

I'm all for people listening to albums and not just singles. My record collection speaks for me on that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom