• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple isues press release about Beyonce's new album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

That doesn't change my argument that I prescribe it to be more about the event as I don't see much difference from this album than any others. She still follows sounds instead of creating them and she still is creating spreadsheet music that offer little glimpse into herself as a person or artist. Pointing out the score is exactly "but you're wrong because of metacritic."

Now I'm okay with someone explaining to me why it's better and has good content, but a number really isn't doing much.

Did you listen to it?

I don't agree with this. For instance, Heaven seems to be a tribute to the child she miscarried, and Mine implies a bout of postpartum depression, which was something that had been rumored at one point. More generally, I think it's the clearest statement of her feminism she's given. She samples a speech from Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on ***Flawless called "Why We Should Be Feminists." This is on the same song that earlier this year she was criticized for telling bitches to bow down, and the sample was a clear shot at people who didn't get it. She ends the sample with the definition of feminism offered by Adichie: "“A person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.”

And it's not just the one song; on Partition, a song about, well, sex in a limousine, she samples a the French version of The Big Lebowski. The translated words, "Do you like sex? Sex. I mean, the physical activity. Coitus. Do you like it? You're not interested in sex? Men think that feminists hate sex, but it's a very stimulating and natural activity that women love." It's a clear criticism of the idea that feminists (and women in general) do not like sex. This follows multiple songs (including Partition itself) that are essentially about sex, and it seems to me like a veiled defense against people who would criticize her for making her album so much about sex. And Pretty Hurts, especially with the accompanying video, is a great critique of beauty myths, as well.

Granted, she's always had girl power elements in her music, even in the Destiny's Child days. She was even saying she was a feminist "in a way" around four years ago, and "a modern-day feminist" earlier this year. But this embracing of the feminist label and feminist critiques of unfair beauty standards, sexual double-standards, and different ways that boys and girls are raised in her music is new for her.

Did you listen to it?

I don't agree with this. For instance, Heaven seems to be a tribute to the child she miscarried, and Mine implies a bout of postpartum depression, which was something that had been rumored at one point. More generally, I think it's the clearest statement of her feminism she's given. She samples a speech from Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on ***Flawless called "Why We Should Be Feminists." This is on the same song that earlier this year she was criticized for telling bitches to bow down, and the sample was a clear shot at people who didn't get it. She ends the sample with the definition of feminism offered by Adichie: "“A person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.”

And it's not just the one song; on Partition, a song about, well, sex in a limousine, she samples a the French version of The Big Lebowski. The translated words, "Do you like sex? Sex. I mean, the physical activity. Coitus. Do you like it? You're not interested in sex? Men think that feminists hate sex, but it's a very stimulating and natural activity that women love." It's a clear criticism of the idea that feminists (and women in general) do not like sex. This follows multiple songs (including Partition itself) that are essentially about sex, and it seems to me like a veiled defense against people who would criticize her for making her album so much about sex. And Pretty Hurts, especially with the accompanying video, is a great critique of beauty myths, as well.

Granted, she's always had girl power elements in her music, even in the Destiny's Child days. She was even saying she was a feminist "in a way" around four years ago, and "a modern-day feminist" earlier this year. But this embracing of the feminist label and feminist critiques of unfair beauty standards, sexual double-standards, and different ways that boys and girls are raised in her music is new for her.
ibtUVYYvLTb34Y.gif

Gather him.

daffy

Banned
And it's not just the one song; on Partition, a song about, well, sex in a limousine, she samples a the French version of The Big Lebowski. The translated words, "Do you like sex? Sex. I mean, the physical activity. Coitus. Do you like it? You're not interested in sex? Men think that feminists hate sex, but it's a very stimulating and natural activity that women love."
Yeah when I saw the video for partition and heard that I was like.. hmmm.. very interesting. I've never seen that movie.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Good for her. Album and the videos along with the crazy out-of-nowhere release makes all the other pop stars look like rank amateurs.

SaviorX

Too bad he missed his chance.

Not quite. Kanye is just proving the prophecies, and the genius of his forward thinking will be revealed in time.

As for Beyonce, all I can think of is this #NewRules concept Jay-Z has been adamant about since the summer; redefining the standard methods and models of releasing product to the public.

The videos in conjunction with the album REALLY sell it. We live in a time where social media craves the 7-second clip or the highlight gif. Drop over a dozen videos and then fall back to see the fireworks.

1 million records is not much compared to 15 years ago, but that TOUR money is through the roof. I think she made $80m off that alone.

Did you listen to it?

She also included a goddamn Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche sample - hell, not even a sample, a soapbox, same as what Burial did with Lana Wachowski's speech on Rival Dealer - on Flawless. So good.

jbug617

Banned
Over 1 million copies sold on ITunes (Worldwide)

@CNBCSocial: The album Beyoncé, which debuted less than a week ago, has surpassed 1 million album sales on the iTunes Store worldwide, Apple says. $AAPL

Majmun

Holy shit. The album isn't even one week old. And these are just itunes sales.

The physical release should do really well. Especially in Europe, where digital sales aren't as popular as in NA.

Bey is just unstoppable

ZaCH3000

The demand and hype for what really matters--the world tour-- is what this is all about.

Small personal gains for Beyoncé in exchange for free press of this unprecedented iTunes exclusive launch to build enormous hype for her world tour that will ultimately net her 100mil (underestimation?) is a revolutionary move. It may never be replicated to this degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom