• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple launches cheaper 8GB iPhone 5C / Retires iPad 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

iPhone C news:

Apple is adding a cheaper 8GB iPhone 5C to its smartphone lineup. The new model is available from UK carrier O2 and is priced between £50 - £100 ($83 - $166 including sales tax) less than the 16GB model on contract. It hasn't appeared on other retailers' sites, and is not yet available from the Apple Store. Aside from a reduced amount of storage, the latest iPhone 5C is identical in every way to the hardware that launched back in October. It features a 4-inch Retina display, Apple's A6 processor, and an 8-megapixel camera. Reports of an 8GB model began surfacing on German Apple rumor sites Monday, with a photo of the device's packaging later appearing at Engadget. It was rumored that the 8GB model may replace the iPhone 4S, but for now O2 is still selling that phone alongside the low-price 5C.

It's not unprecedented for Apple to switch up storage options in the middle of an iOS product's lifecycle, but the company usually adds more room for photos, music, and apps rather than take it away. The introduction of a cheaper iPhone 5C may serve as the best evidence yet that Apple's mid-level smartphone is falling short of expectations. Apple's executives have never expressed disappointment with the iPhone 5C, and calling the handset a dud is by no means fair. So far, it's selling better than the 4S did when it occupied the middle slot in the iPhone portfolio last year.

But every indication is that consumers are choosing the flagship iPhone 5S more often than not. CEO Tim Cook admitted that the ratio didn't match what the company had planned for during Apple's last financial earnings call. "The mix was stronger to the 5S, and it took us some amount of time to build the mix that customers were demanding," he said. Even then, Cook hinted that a cheaper 5C wasn't out of the question. Discussing his company's approach to iPhone pricing, he said, "If we think it's in our best interest to make a change, then we'll make one." Today's announcement would suggest that Apple thinks now is the right time for change.

Apple retires iPad 2

Apple has re-released the fourth-generation iPad. The model replaces the aging iPad 2 in Apple's lineup. The fourth-generation iPad is priced at $399 —the same price as the iPad Mini with Retina Display, and $100 less than the iPad Air — and is only available with 16GB of storage. A cellular model is also available for $529. The decision to replace the iPad 2 with the iPad 4 means that all of Apple's iPads are now using the companies Lightning connector — the iPad 2 was the only model left with the old 30-pin adapter port — and also makes the iPad Mini the only tablet from Apple not to feature a Retina Display.

The iPad re-release is the second product change from Apple today. Earlier, the company released an 8GB version of the iPhone 5C is Europe, leading to speculation that the iPhone 4S — now the only iOS device with a 30-pin connector port — could be retired soon.

Source for both: The Verge

HUELEN10

I still say an 8 GB 5C is the most useless product you could buy, specially considering the deals so many stores make for the 16 GB one.

Salsa

8GB with no chance of additional storage sounds nightmarish to me right now

I guess in the US you can easily stream music with a 3G connection? otherwise, fuck

Guess Who

Banned
Replacing the iPad 2 with the iPad 4 was a great move. Absolutely insane they kept the 2 around for so long.

EDIT: Also interesting: this is the first time Apple has ever re-released an iOS device after discontinuing it.

Blackhead

Redarse
That storage space is too small, especially without an SD card or some other form of expansion. That ducks up the user experience. Ridiculous.

iPad 2 was the last iDevice that Steve Jobs introduced...it's a bit sad to see it officially retired now as it's kind of like the end of an era.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So how long before the iPad2 no longer gets OS updates like they did to the iPad1.

Guess Who

Banned
So how long before the iPad2 no longer gets OS updates like they did to the iPad1.

Considering it got 4/5/6/7, I'd say it could not get iOS 8 and still have had a hella strong run.

But I'd say there's still a decent chance it gets 8, if only because the 1st gen mini absolutely will and it's probably minimal effort to get it to run on the 2 if you already have it on the OG mini.

NekoFever

Wouldn't work for me but people like my parents could quite happily get along with an 8GB phone. I don't know why people here act like it's a completely useless product.

thenexus6

I doubt this will help them much, it's still extremely expensive. RIP iPad 2, we have one in our house and its still going strong.

Brickhunt

Funny how I still have, and I still use the iPad 1. It has become slow as hell and crashes almost every time, but it still helps me a lot.

Kysen

8GB anything is useless. My old ip4 had 8 and only 5.2GB was useable. Which means storing apps, music and videos at the same time isn't going to happen. The 5c is a margins only product, the buyer gets screwed especially if they go contract. Just pick up a 5s for a little more upfront and forget the plastic junk.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
When you can get the 16GB for only £40 more than the 8GB why would anyone get the 8GB model?

I seriously hope 32GB becomes standard on the iPhone 6.

My Nokia n96 has 16GB onboard storage and was expandable.

2008 that phone came out 2008!!

Anon67

Noooo. I couldn't update to iOS 7.1 recently from my 8GB phone because I didn't have enough space left to download the installer. 8GB is just way too small for storage and, purchasing this phone just guarantees storage problems in the future.

TxdoHawk

The 8GB 5C is there to become the next future "free on contract" iPhone, I assume. There are still hilariously large portions of people that won't pay a dime for a new phone when they renew their contract.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Fun facts:
- Apple released the first generation iPod in 2001 (13 years ago). It was 5GB and cost $400. They later released a 10GB version that cost $500. $100 to double the storage.
- Apple's current iPhones come in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB flavours; they are separated by $100.
- A 16GB MicroSD card costs about $9: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F6YRNO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

edbrat

Still use my ipad 2 though UI got noticeably sticky and slow at times following an iOS update and certain apps esp facebook work like hammered shit now. Wish I never bothered updating it, have stopped updating my ipad mini as a result of that experience.

LCfiner

Noooo. I couldn't update to iOS 7.1 recently from my 8GB phone because I didn't have enough space left to download the installer. 8GB is just way too small for storage and, purchasing this phone just guarantees storage problems in the future.

you could always plug it into a computer and update via itunes. the storage restriction is for on device updates only. that might be more convenient for you in the future.

anyway, I’m not a fan of the 5c in general so I’m not exactly thrilled about tho 8 GB option. But I do think it’s way past time that the ipad 2 got shelved. the ipad 4 is much better in nearly every way and I thought Apple was going to do this back in October. It always seemed embarrassing to me that the old and low res ipad 2 was selling for $400 years after it was introduced and the ipad 4 was shelved.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
How much of that 8 gigs is usable?

Hopefully it's nothing close to being as stupid as the amount of space the OS is taking up on the GS5.

Ovid

How much of that 8 gigs is usable?

Hopefully it's nothing close to being as stupid as the amount of space the OS is taking up on the GS5.
At 8gb you are going to have to delete a bunch of apps and/or music just to install the latest update. How much did iOS 7 require to be free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom