• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple launches cheaper 8GB iPhone 5C / Retires iPad 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanKZ

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this new 8GB model £429 off contract here in the UK? You can buy a 32GB Nexus 5 for £329.

Fucking criminal.

Blackhead

Redarse
Wouldn't work for me but people like my parents could quite happily get along with an 8GB phone. I don't know why people here act like it's a completely useless product.

On the contrary if your parents aren't tech savvy then they won't get along with 8GB. They won't know how to micromanage their storage space and will quickly run out. They won't understand why updates need 2GB of free space to install. They won't know the how to utilize cloud services to minimize their local storage needs. It'd quickly turn into a piss poor experience for them.

tino

Banned
The whole 5c was a failure. Apple base their pricing structure on momery size for too long, its going bite them in the long run.

Ovid

The whole 5c was a failure. Apple base their pricing structure on momery size for too long, its going bitrle them in the long run.
Everyone was expecting it to be much cheaper than it actually was. It's only $100 cheaper.

Might as well just spend the extra $100 for the 5S.

Futureman

On the contrary if your parents aren't tech savvy then they won't get along with 8GB. They won't know how to micromanage their storage space and will quickly run out. They won't understand why updates need 2GB of free space to install. They won't know the how to utilize cloud services to minimize their local storage needs. It'd quickly turn into a piss poor experience for them.

Most older people I know don't really store anything on their phone. It's for making calls, text and web.

Allforce

I still use an iPad 2 every day, no problems with it and never saw a reason to upgrade.

My wife actually just bought a refurb iPad 2 a few months ago as well, didn't see any reason to spend more for basic web browsing and Facebook use.

I think if I ever did upgrade at any point I'd just get an Android tablet now, the iPad is great but overpriced for what I use it for. I don't use iTunes and I'm not locked into any of Apples other services, it's literally a way to read the web and acts as my eReader.

Futureman

Everyone was expecting it to be much cheaper than it actually was. It's only $100 cheaper.

Might as well just spend the extra $100 for the 5S.

That's because analysts decided what the 5C was and who it was aimed at months before the announcement. Apple never intended it to be very cheap.

Blackhead

Redarse
Most older people I know don't really store anything on their phone. It's for making calls, text and web.

Pictures.

That's because analysts decided what the 5C was and who it was aimed at months before the announcement. Apple never intended it to be very cheap.

Apple intended the 5c to be very cheap -- cheap for them to produce that is. Analysts assumed that Apple would extend that cheap cost to a low price but Apple decided to keep their high margins instead

Spawnling

I still say an 8 GB 5C is the most useless product you could buy, specially considering the deals so many stores make for the 16 GB one.

If Apple offers it contract upgrade price for $0, it'd replace the 4S. It's a great entry level phone. For someone that is just getting their first smartphone and really don't care for downloads, apps, media, they just want to use the phone, texts, streaming.

I highly doubt the 4/4s will be able to run Apple's next major IOS overhaul. This seems like a long term change.

Guess Who

Banned
Apple intended the 5c to be very cheap -- cheap for them to produce that is. Analysts assumed that Apple would extend that cheap cost to a low price but Apple decided to keep their high margins instead

If you believe iSuppli's teardowns (and to be fair, that's a big "if"), the 5C is only ~$25 cheaper to produce than the 5S.

Thinking about it, I don't think the intent of the 5C was ever to be a "cheap" phone. I think the intent was to basically redress the iPhone 5 in a new shell so they could try to push two "new" flagship phones instead of one. (And obviously that didn't work.)

Blackhead

Redarse
If Apple offers it contract upgrade price for $0, it'd replace the 4S. It's a great entry level phone. For someone that is just getting their first smartphone and really don't care for downloads, apps, media, they just want to use the phone, texts, streaming.

I highly doubt the 4/4s will be able to run Apple's next major IOS overhaul. This seems like a long term change.

The 16GB 5c has already been dropped to $0 on contract, by many retailers in the USA. The 8GB is only in Europe so far and there it's being sold alongside the 4s for now

EmiPrime

I bet this new 8GB model is still more expensive off contract than a 32GB Nexus 5.

At least they killed off the iPad 2.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this new 8GB model £429 off contract here in the UK? You can buy a 32GB Nexus 5 for £329.

Fucking criminal.

Just checked the store. £429 for 8GB is ridiculous. Who the hell will spend over £400 on a phone with such a small amount of storage?

GusBus

I love my 5C (it's a great looking, durable phone), but 8GB of storage in 2014 is criminal. Flash memory is cheaper than water. You can get 16/32/64GB SD cards for next to nothing (<$10 for 16gb on Amazon). Apps routinely take up a couple hundred megabytes.
People should not put up with this crap any more!

I'm hoping this bombs hard for Apple. Seriously... Is this some sort of joke?

Edit:
No change in price for the US? Get bent Apple!

LCfiner

I'm hoping this bombs hard for Apple. Seriously... Is this some sort of joke?

Edit:
No change in price for the US? Get bent Apple!

Are you taking about the 5c? the 8gb model is not available in the US. the price is the same because the memory hasn’t changed.

If you’re talking about the ipad 4, did you expect it to be cheaper than the price they sold the ipad 2 for?

Cheech

It's funny they waited until 7.1 to bring back the iPad 4.

I've had one since last July and love it, but no question that it was a bit glitchy on 7.0x.

On 7.1 though, it's flawless. I honestly don't see iOS getting any better for that device.

BFIB

I would think stores would have some great deals for the remaining iPad 2 stock. Might check into that to have another iPad in the house.

NekoFever

No they won't because all they'll install on it is Facebook, eBay and Skype. At most.

Exactly.

mrkgoo

Pictures.

Yes, pictures.

My parents are not tech savvy at all, but due to ease if use, they are filling up the storage due to taking lots if photos.

And I think the 5c was always meant to be a iPhone replacement.

Blablurn

What the hell can you even do with 8GB on an iPhone..

i dont know mine. i'm pretty alright with my 8GB moto g. for other stuff i have a tablet as well. and im sure many apple users do, too. so you keep your phone for basic stuff and do the rest like gaming on the bigger device. at least thats what im doing!

kagete

I just patched to 7.1 on an ipad3 last night and it required 4.1GB of free space. I'm not sure how much you can use on an 8GB iOS device but that seems like such a hassle to have to manage installed apps/pics/videos all the time.

Jacobi

Banned
This costs 550€ in Germany. Laughable as fuck... Useless AND expensive... Apple going ballmer-stupid these days

Fox Mulder

8GB of storage is awful. Apple has the best app market and itunes is full of media, no storage will just turn people off of exploring their ecosystem.

Streaming everything isn't that great of an option either with unlimited data plans being dead.

Goodlife

I got a 5c for my wife for Xmas.
It's got 16GB, but I'll be amazed if she ever uses more than 8GB on it.
She's just got a few apps and some photos on there, so as long as there is enough space for her to install updates she'll be happy.

Now 4G is becoming more and more available over here, I feel the need for storage is becoming less and less.

We get 10GB of shared data, "free" use of Deezer (unlimited music streaming) and have got iPlayer / Sky Go / Netflix for any films / music.

Ty4on

Finally killed off the iPad 2. That thing is now three years old...
Hilariously overpriced with the same HW as the old iPad mini for the price of the iPad mini Retina (which has iPad Air HW).

The 8GB 5C sounds strange when flash is so cheap, but personally I'd be fine with 8. The only thing that I need storage for is podcasts and 1GB is enough for several hours. Programs barely take up storage.
iPad 2 was the last iDevice that Steve Jobs introduced...it's a bit sad to see it officially retired now as it's kind of like the end of an era.

Did you forget this one? :p

edornob

Moto G > Iphone 5C

They should drop the price even more off contract and make it a flagship budget phone.

I'm shocked the 5c is still considered a failure. Our store sells 3 times more 5cs than 5s'. I'd be surprised if our store is literally the only store that sees that sales shift.

RibMan

Interesting move.

The point of the 5C model was to introduce an iPhone that could compete (price-wise) with Android devices in emerging markets. A lot of countries don't offer subsidized phones, so the high price tag (typically $600-900 dollars) for an iPhone is driving people towards Android devices.

In other words, Apple saw a repeat of Mac Vs Windows, and the 5C was their solution to the problem. This is why they're willing to sacrifice storage space on the 5C - the phone is meant to appeal to markets that don't have a robust internet infrastructure, or in other words, markets that won't be downloading a ton of stuff from iTunes/App Store.

Cutting $50-100 off the 5c still makes it horrendously overpriced off contract, which is where the device's theory should be selling.

Thank god they're finally getting rid of the iPad 2 though. It's frustrating to see people walk into the store I work at, want an iPad, and walk out with an iPad 2 because "I don't want to spend $500". No matter how many times you tell them they're buying 3 year old tech, they don't care. At least they'll walk out with something good now.

EmiPrime

I'm shocked the 5c is still considered a failure. Our store sells 3 times more 5cs than 5s'. I'd be surprised if our store is literally the only store that sees that sales shift.

I'm sure it sells well but as a device it's rubbish for the price and the tech given the 5S only costs slightly more up front on a contract. I am sure if laypeople understood just how much better the 5S is to the 5C the latter would be massive flop but given how crazy the margins must be on a 5C I doubt Apple care.

Off contract the Nexus 5 and Xperia Z1 Compact are both cheaper and far better phones.

Earendil

I wonder what this will do to the prices of the iPad4. I've been wanting to get a used one for my kids, but they are still too expensive.

Quick

Banned
I've always found it odd that they kept the iPad 2, rather than keep the 4th gen, as the cheap entry-level iPad when they introduced the Air.

Apple wants to make the lightning connector their new standard, and it just seemed contradictory to keep the iPad 2 with the old 30-pin connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom