• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Phreaker

My apple TV keeps pausing on its own (not buffering), so frustrating. I'm taking it to the Apple Store Sunday to figure out what is going on.

Phreaker

Did you try resetting it to factory settings? Could be a firmware issue.

Yes, I tried that and then did a manual setup. Something weird is happening. It's not a buffering thing. I've done lots of testing today. It even pauses playing audio only, songs from iCloud. I see the song download in like a second or two, but sometimes, mid song it will pause. When it pauses it does a quick fadeout before it stops. I can actually tell a split second before it stops (or pauses) that it is going to happen. When I pause manually it stops the music instantly. It doesn't matter which App I use it just randomly pauses at times.

I noticed that with the video (even purchased movies from iTunes that have plenty of it buffered), the audio will stop first, then a few ms later the video stops, then the time bar shows up and dims the image. When I pause manually it stops audio, video and brings up the time bar instantly.

When it pauses it always starts right away when I click play, but inevitably auto-pauses again at some point. It's so strange. It had been working perfectly, got it at launch, and it started doing this a couple weeks ago. At first I chalked it up to my Internet, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's to the point now where it's pretty much unusable.

My apple TV keeps pausing on its own (not buffering), so frustrating. I'm taking it to the Apple Store Sunday to figure out what is going on.

Let us know what the diagnosis is.

My atv3 did exactly that. Turned out to be defective wifi/network system. Easy swap in store.

Phreaker

Let us know what the diagnosis is.

My atv3 did exactly that. Turned out to be defective wifi/network system. Easy swap in store.

They exchange the unit it for a new one after I went through the troubleshooting steps I tried. I got home with it, hooked it up and it's doing the same thing within a minute. It paused a song I was playing from iCloud that I know was done downloading. I have no idea what is happening. This new unit had tvOS 9.0, so I now know that it wasn't a software update that caused my issue. I did a restore to factory defaults and a manual setup, which downloaded the latest tvOS (9.1.1) and tried again, same thing. I can't even get through a song before it self-pauses.

One thing that is kind of interesting is when I go into Settings/Remotes and Devices/Bluetooth I sometimes see something listed there titled "HK BTA 10", which is not mine. I looked it up online and see it's a "Harman Kardon BTA 10". I wonder if a neighbor just recently got this and for some reason when it goes in/out of range the Apple TV pauses. Seems like it should not since I've not tried to pair or connect to this device, but really I am out of guesses as to what is going on. It used to work perfectly. :( I am going to take my Siri remote to work tomorrow and leave it there, just to be sure my remote is not somehow emitting a pause randomly. I'll use my iPhone 6's remote App to control the Apple TV.

Phreaker

OMG! I turned off AirPlay in the AppleTV menus (which is on by default) and I am suddenly not getting the constant pausing - 4 songs have played in a row now without a pause. It's a miracle!!!! I hope this really fixed it.

EDIT: Yep, played a whole album and now watching HBO Now, 10 min into an episode and no pausing. I have no idea why having AirPlay On was suddenly causing this problem. I feel bad for exchanging a perfectly fine AppleTV, but I really thought it had gone bad.

Mine isn't as consistently problematic, but I'd say 4/10 times a video (especially long Giant Bomb ones) will just stop playing. Youtube is more annoying for me, as sometimes the airplay stream will turn off the minute my ipad's screen fades to black.

I'm going to try turning off airplay on the device as well and see if that works. Thanks for the info!

Vyer

They exchange the unit it for a new one after I went through the troubleshooting steps I tried. I got home with it, hooked it up and it's doing the same thing within a minute. It paused a song I was playing from iCloud that I know was done downloading. I have no idea what is happening. This new unit had tvOS 9.0, so I now know that it wasn't a software update that caused my issue. I did a restore to factory defaults and a manual setup, which downloaded the latest tvOS (9.1.1) and tried again, same thing. I can't even get through a song before it self-pauses.

One thing that is kind of interesting is when I go into Settings/Remotes and Devices/Bluetooth I sometimes see something listed there titled "HK BTA 10", which is not mine. I looked it up online and see it's a "Harman Kardon BTA 10". I wonder if a neighbor just recently got this and for some reason when it goes in/out of range the Apple TV pauses. Seems like it should not since I've not tried to pair or connect to this device, but really I am out of guesses as to what is going on. It used to work perfectly. :( I am going to take my Siri remote to work tomorrow and leave it there, just to be sure my remote is not somehow emitting a pause randomly. I'll use my iPhone 6's remote App to control the Apple TV.

The bluetooth adapter? That seems very very odd. I'm guessing that's what's causing your disruptions.

Phreaker

The bluetooth adapter? That seems very very odd. I'm guessing that's what's causing your disruptions.

Well, once i disabled AirPlay on my AppleTV my auto-pausing problems went away. Then I started thinking about why this would cause a problem, no one should be on my network so they shouldn't be able to try AirPlaying to my AppleTV. I started resetting all my Apple devices (iPad, iPhone, MBP, AppleWatch, MacMini). When I went to go restart my MacMini I found it was "beach balling" - I had to hold down power to get it to reboot. It may have been that way for a while as I don't use it often. I haven't tried re-enabling AirPlay on my AppleTV yet, but I will try tonight.

Emarv

Man, I'll totally sign up for Sling if it hits. Wonder if that's something they'd want to save for the Apple conference though?

Quasar

I wonder if PS Vue will happen. Theres an ios app plus non Sony TVs with it, so Sony isnt just keeping it for itself.

cross posting from the iOS games thread:

Duck Tales Remastered is on now on Apple TV. Universal if you have the iOS version, $4.99 if not.

CcoJF5SUcAA2iD9.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/AppleTV_Gaming/status/705386290624204800

jts

...hate me...
Drives me nuts sometimes Infuse not searching for the particular subtitles of an episode, but for the whole show instead. Displaying a list of all subtitle options for all episodes, in no particular order.

Despite the filename being exactly like the other filenames, and the file being correctly identified for its episode by Infuse itself.

It’s very random.

GWX

Guys, I'm about to get an Apple TV, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Can you save accounts from different countries for easy switching in the iTunes and App Store menu? I know it's supposed to hold multiple Apple IDs, but does it save them if they are from different countries? I'm constantly switching between Brazilian and US accounts on my iPhone and iPad, and doing so in the Apple TV would be quite annoying since the text input is way less than optimal.

2. Can you log into iTunes/App Store with one account and use a different one (from different countries, if possible) for Apple Music?

Thanks in advance!

Quasar

You can have multiple accounts from different countries and switch between them.

As far as I know you cannot use multiple accounts at the same time. Its one or the other. So that would stop you from being logged into one account and then using Apple Music from another.

GWX

You can have multiple accounts from different countries and switch between them.

As far as I know you cannot use multiple accounts at the same time. Its one or the other. So that would stop you from being logged into one account and then using Apple Music from another.

Oh, the first part is good, but I guess I won't be able to use Siri with my brazilian AM account either way :( Thanks for the quick answers! I'll be jumping in all the same, though. Hopefully Siri comes Brazil's way soon.

Quasar

Oh, the first part is good, but I guess I won't be able to use Siri with my brazilian AM account either way :( Thanks for the quick answers! I'll be jumping in all the same, though. Hopefully Siri comes Brazil's way soon.

One weird thing for me is with Siri as I have a US Netflix account and Australian iTunes account when I use siri to search it searches the Australian Netflix database. For it to search the US one i need to be logged into my US iTunes account.

GWX

One weird thing for me is with Siri as I have a US Netflix account and Australian iTunes account when I use siri to search it searches the Australian Netflix database. For it to search the US one i need to be logged into my US iTunes account.

Oh yes, I heard it searches only stuff from your iTunes region. Not sure how they could circumvent this, though. Maybe they could detect your Netflix's (and other services) region individually, but I'll doubt they'd implement such feature.

edit: actually, if anyone is on tvOS 9.2 beta, can you test if dictation is available for text boxes for a region without Siri support? Thanks in advance as well ;)

Quasar

Oh yes, I heard it searches only stuff from your iTunes region. Not sure how they could circumvent this, though. Maybe they could detect your Netflix's (and other services) region individually, but I'll doubt they'd implement such feature.

edit: actually, if anyone is on tvOS 9.2 beta, can you test if dictation is available for text boxes for a region without Siri support? Thanks in advance as well ;)

Especially now with the proxy/vpn wars.

JP

Got our Apple TV 4 today and this is my first look at this thread so excuse me if this has already been answered.

We're running tvOS 9.1.1 which seems to be the latest version, we've been trying for ages to sort Apps into folders but when we slide on on top of the other, they just separate when we let go. We're holding the touch pad in to make the app "wobble", when we press Play it just gives us option to delete the App.

Anybody got an idea what the problem is?

^
folder support won't be added until tvOS 9.2.

BUT it should be out in a couple of weeks so you won't have to wait long

Sling TV app supposedly popped up on the app store briefly before disappearing:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/02/sling-tv-coming-to-apple-tv-app-store/

Reading through that forum, turns out it was some guy making new icons and taking blurry pictures of it. Said he did it so Apple would get off their asses and use Sling. He didn't understand that it has nothing to do with Apple and Sling is welcome to bring their app.

Hopefully Sling does bring an app though

JP

^
folder support won't be added until tvOS 9.2.

BUT it should be out in a couple of weeks so you won't have to wait long
Bloody hell, what a fool. I'd be watching Apple TV 4 videos on YouTube and I thought it was the release version they were using.

Thanks for that though. :)

JP

What MFi controller are people using? There seems to be a few out there in the same price range but none of them look particularly appealing.

Reading through that forum, turns out it was some guy making new icons and taking blurry pictures of it. Said he did it so Apple would get off their asses and use Sling. He didn't understand that it has nothing to do with Apple and Sling is welcome to bring their app.

Hopefully Sling does bring an app though

lol, i did wonder how one random person got the app and no one else.

What MFi controller are people using? There seems to be a few out there in the same price range but none of them look particularly appealing.

The Nimbus is nice, people also like the Horipad ultimate. There's a thread here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870329

Also new Plex update:

Version 1.0.5 is now available.
NEW:
- Added support for selecting alternate versions of media
- Library screens now remember & return to the last used tab
- Now link to your account via connection code. No more typing out long passwords!
- Grid view performance & reliability improvements
- Pages now reload more frequently, with fewer "Loading..." screens
FIXED:
- Video descriptions with multiple paragraphs now display correctly.
- Swiping left and right in the music player now skips in the correct direction.
KNOWN ISSUES:
- On devices running tvOS 9.1 and earlier, if the item you're focused on is updated or removed during a reload then focus usually jumps to the above or below row and some unwatched badges may temporarily not be visible. This issue has been fixed in tvOS 9.2.

JP

A quick question for the people that have used them, are there and negatives in using the SteelSeries Stratus XL rather than the official Nimbus?

For some reason I prefer the look of the XL but I don;t want to be missing out on something if I do get it.

A quick question for the people that have used them, are there and negatives in using the SteelSeries Stratus XL rather than the official Nimbus?

For some reason I prefer the look of the XL but I don;t want to be missing out on something if I do get it.

I haven't used the XL, but read that the D-pad and triggers weren't great.
The Nimbus also charges over lightening instead of replaceable batteries.

after pad has a review of the nimbus and talks about the XL problems:

https://afterpad.com/steelseries-nimbus-the-afterpad-review/

Awesome, they just released a Mubi app. I mean, it's exactly designed as the mobile app, but it's a solid design and it's better than using airplay.

Widge

Oh awesome, DS Video is on the App Store now.

HOT.

I've just been mulling over an Apple TV.

If it can do Amazon Video eventually, I can retire my front room PC for media use.

EDIT

Caveat - I seem to remember DS Video does not like certain codecs, in which case, the purchased Infuse may be the better route.

dock

Caveat - I seem to remember DS Video does not like certain codecs, in which case, the purchased Infuse may be the better route.
I ran into a codec problem a few days ago, yeah... thankfully I bought Infuse a long time ago and was able to hop over. It'd be nice if DS Video Apple TV could offer the option to launch Infuse, just like the iOS version does.

nullref

Is Infuse worth it? I'm using Plex at the moment and it does its job, but I'm wondering if Infuse is better.

If you're happy with your Plex setup, then I wouldn't say Infuse is better. The two apps focus on different things. Infuse's library features are very primitive compared to Plex – it's not much more than a folder browser with a little metadata fetching on top, at this point. It doesn't track what you've watched, put new content front and center, or offer different views of your content.

If you want to use Infuse, it's probably because you want its playback features. It decodes everything on the device, you don't need to run Plex Media Server or anything similar, and it'll bitstream DTS to your receiver.

dock

I bought Mimpi Dreams on the Apple TV, as I thought it might be a fun relaxed game for my girlfriend to play. She likes games but often finds them frustrating.

What a truly horrible game. The Siri Remote is the single worst game controller I have ever used, and this game is a horrible implementation of it - with clicking and dragging on the touchpad to emulate drag behaviours of the iPad game. Also the game has you swipe and hold a direction the touchpad, but also click the touchpad to jump, making simple jumps incredibly uncomfortable.

The whole experience was pretty miserable, and I was relieved when we stopped playing.

The Apple TV is a horrible machine for games.

I bought Mimpi Dreams on the Apple TV, as I thought it might be a fun relaxed game for my girlfriend to play. She likes games but often finds them frustrating.

What a truly horrible game. The Siri Remote is the single worst game controller I have ever used, and this game is a horrible implementation of it - with clicking and dragging on the touchpad to emulate drag behaviours of the iPad game. Also the game has you swipe and hold a direction the touchpad, but also click the touchpad to jump, making simple jumps incredibly uncomfortable.

The whole experience was pretty miserable, and I was relieved when we stopped playing.

The Apple TV is a horrible machine for games.

I wouldn't go that far. The device it self I think is a very capable machine. The problem is Apples policy which requires developers to support the siri remote simply because they won't bundle a controller with the device. If you're going to be using it as a games machine, you might as well pick up one of the bluetooth controllers that are available.

CNNGo won't activate on my AppleTV. Anyone have any ideas why not? Keeps saying I don't have the right subscription with my cable provider but I do and it works on my older one.

Top Bottom