• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Neville/Aries - ****
Mojo Battle Royale - 1/16*
Ambrose/Corbin - **
Styles/McMahon - ***
Owens/Jericho - **
Bayley and co. - ***1/2
Hardyz, etc. - **1/2
Cena and friends - *1/2
Rollins/H - **
Orton/Wyatt - **
Goldberg/Lesnar - *1/2
Naomi and more - *
Undertaker/Reigns - RIP

Wow, bad wrestlemania, huh?

Neville/Aries - ***1/2
Mojo Battle Royale - DUD
Ambrose/Corbin - *
Styles/McMahon - *
Owens/Jericho - **
Bayley and co. - DUD
Hardyz, etc. - ***
Cena and friends - *1/2
Rollins/H - ***
Orton/Wyatt - **
Goldberg/Lesnar - ****
Naomi and more - *
Undertaker/Reigns - DUD
My thing

mreddie

Taker is Vince's man though thick and thin, not shocked Vince gave him one more match but the new approved guy had to go over.

Heroman

Banned
Neville/Aries - ****
Ambrose/Corbin - **
Styles/McMahon - ***
Owens/Jericho - **
Bayley and co. - ***1/2
Hardyz, etc. - **1/2
Cena and friends - *1/2
Rollins/H - **
Orton/Wyatt - **
Goldberg/Lesnar - *1/2
Naomi and more - *
Undertaker/Reigns - RIP
Dat bad huh?.

kluIW7m.gif

Me watching. The second half

This saddens me. When Taker can't do one sit up, you know it's his last match.

Syder

Neville/Aries - ****
Ambrose/Corbin - **
Styles/McMahon - ***
Owens/Jericho - **
Bayley and co. - ***1/2
Hardyz, etc. - **1/2
Cena and friends - *1/2
Rollins/H - **
Orton/Wyatt - **
Goldberg/Lesnar - *1/2
Naomi and more - *
Undertaker/Reigns - RIP
Can't really argue with this too much.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder how many people complaining about part timers are excited about the Hardyz in WWE

because I highly doubt they're full time

Wow, bad wrestlemania, huh?

On paper it could've been an average show, booking really fucked some matches, others were too long, and ultimately the best things came way too early. MOTN was literally the first on the preshow, Shane was surprisingly okay, the Hardys return was fun even if they did shit in the match.

But that was roughly less than halfway in. Definitely not as bad as last year's, but it's not good.

Everyone's going to say it was better than last Mania, and it was, but daaaaaaaang that was not a good event at all in any other metric

Cruiserweight and tag title were legit great, Cena proposal was wonderful, Goldberg/Brock was well booked at least, and the Big Dog getting another notch was great, but every other match (including Reigns') either sucked (Seth/HHH), was too short to care much (SD womens' title), or abruptly ended (Orton/Bray). I still can't believe how that Raw womens' title match was booked.

One of the more forgettable Manias, no doubt

mreddie

I wonder how many people complaining about part timers are excited about the Hardyz in WWE

because I highly doubt they're full time

It's Dudley's 2.0 but they are coming in with the MEMES.

Also Brock is the champion and I think you'll only see him between now and maybe Payback at best.

Zach

who would watch that much wrestling all at once

i only saw the last 5 matches and i feel like i wasted my night
Shut up, Data West. You've watched more wrestling that anyone on WrassleGAF now that strobogo is dead.

And I started two hours late so I skipped soooo many advertisements, and talking/New Day segments, and Triple H entrances -- it was great!

Not the match he would've wanted to go out on, but damn, if I didn't get the feels as Taker was walking out.

Enjoyed WM overall, but the last third was a hell of a slog.

Still, Hardyz = 10/10

Who knows what the hell goes through Vince's head but I hope he feels some regret after seeing his #1 guy for who knows how long have his curtain call be that garbage fest. Company man doing the company job, and boy, what a shame.

I wanna hear Alvarez's rant on the last half of this Mania. SD's women's title feel so fucking stupid in the middle of Brock vs Lesnar and Taker vs Reigns.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In celebration of Undertaker's career, I would just like to, once again, put it out there that Big Evil Undertaker was the only time I ever found Undertaker enjoyable

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Law:

Triple H vs Seth - the crowd went into a coma at this point

Pretty much lol

MG310

It was probably better than Taker/Giant Gonzales but worse than Brock carrying around a half conscious Undertaker for 15 minutes.

Ithil

HHH is done, too. He's not broken down physically, but he's still old and slow and his star power is mostly manufactured, he does not have the allure of an Undertaker or a Rock.

Time for him to hang up his plodding WM matches.

ReiGun

This is the only thing I'll say on ya boy Leakee:

Tonight put the final nail in the coffin for Roman Reigns. There's no turning back; there's no salvaging him. The man is officially damaged goods.

Anyone who isn't on board now, never will be.

So, knee jerk thoughts:

Neville / Aries: A great back and forth with two guys bringing two different styles and making it work. This was every but as good as I had hoped for and the right person won after the heartbreaking ankle injury last year. Neville is one of the funniest and nicest guys on the roster yet plays the most vile and meanest person. He owns that character and is at the top of the pack as far as I am concerned.

KO/ Jericho: This one I had the most anticipation for and I don't know how I feel about it. I think it needed to be a fast paced brawler with two angry guys taking everything they know of the other and using it to one up them rather than just go through the motions as they did. There was some of that but I felt like for two guys who were so angry with one another, there wasn't enough heat between the two of them and I think a faster pace with some higher risk manuevers to inflict hard damage (to give them room to breathe) would have made for a better match. Not terrible by any stretch of the imagination but could have been better. Here's hoping they have a second match.

Brock/Goldberg: A fun match. It was. Just not a believable one because it threw everything that happened in the first two confrontations out the window and changed the rules. That's dishonest storytelling. Dude unloads 4 spears to no avail after winning their first confrontation with just two standard ones. Whatever. It is what it is and Goldberg's presence has been awesome and very entertaining.

Rollins / HHH: This I could go on a while for. Here, my expectation, like many, was a fuckery of sorts. No, neither would settle for less. Why I mentioned earlier that I thought this was a classic confrontation between the two is because of the build up, the story executed in ring and the end result.

Specifcially, Rollins a week ago talks about redeeming himself. Well, the question going in was: is he going to be using the same moveset he spammed as a heel? If you're sheding your skin as a heel and as a failed comeback kid (first time back post injury with Kane), you need a new start.

This was not a typical Seth spot fest. Sure we had the Suplex into the Falcon Arrow and a power bomb, but most attempts from Seth to go back to his old arsenal worked against him on account of his knee. That failed spot sunset flip to a powerbomb (which ironically injured him) was the highlight of this point. This works in two ways: literally he cant because of his injury. Figuratively he cant because he is on a path to find himself and not be HHH's prodigee.

Speaking of which: the pedigree. Smart booking dictates in first several minutes of that match that Seth finds a new finisher move here. His knee can't give for him to executing pedigree and he doesnt want to live under HHH shadow, so my only complaint here is he did not ditch the pedigree. It worked metaphorically in a sense that the student went over his master. I'm sure that this decision was discussed but at the end, they decided that the visual of HHH falling victim to a move he made famous was worth the compromise.

Hence why I thought that match was the best by a margin. The story of Seth finding himself was included by using Seth's knee as a plot device and using it as an excuse to mix up the ante.

Overall, thought this was a fantastic Wrestlemania.

Undertaker was my favorite when I got into wrestling.

Judgment day 2000 with the debut of Biker Taker was my first PPV as "a fan". Wrestling was always this thing I knew existed before that but I eventually got into it after WM2000 from playing WWF attitude over and over at a friends house.

He should have bowed out on a higher not a few years ago at WM30. This match was kind of a mess. Taker didnt have it in him, Reigns doesnt have the charisma and performance chops to carry such a emotional moment in wrestling history.

Ill miss him. Also dude seems like the kind of guy who is going to go off the map and we will never see on WWE camera again now he is retired. Maybe HOF when he is legit old but I can totally see him not being inducted next year and holding it off.

Ithil

We can debate all we want but I suggest a succinct improvement to the main event:

It never exists in the first place

Top Bottom