• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom Trailer

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Damn ... superhero movies are as dead as a dodo right now .... 😲

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is tracking to have a lower opening weekend than Marvel Studios' biggest bomb. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is the DCEU's final movie. The sequel serves as the follow-up to 2018's Aquaman, which broke expectations to become DC's highest-grossing film ever, with a global box office total of over $1.1 billion. However, the latest Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom update does not bode well for the sequel's box office performance.

According to Deadline, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is on track for a four-day Christmas opening weekend of around $40 million plus, which is less than The Marvels' $46 million three-day opening. That is bad news for the DCEU's final movie, as The Marvels had the worst debut for a Marvel Studios film and will end its theatrical run as the lowest-grossing MCU movie yet, with only $204 million — according to Box Office Mojo. Despite trailers having teased an exciting story for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, the movie should be another 2023 DCEU box office disappointment.

Last edited:

belmarduk

I think this will still end up losing money but will do better than The Flash or Blue Beetle.
Women will go to see Jason Momoa. Attractive people sell movies.

Fake

Gold Member
Damn ... superhero movies are as dead as a dodo right now .... 😲

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is tracking to have a lower opening weekend than Marvel Studios' biggest bomb. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is the DCEU's final movie. The sequel serves as the follow-up to 2018's Aquaman, which broke expectations to become DC's highest-grossing film ever, with a global box office total of over $1.1 billion. However, the latest Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom update does not bode well for the sequel's box office performance.

According to Deadline, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is on track for a four-day Christmas opening weekend of around $40 million plus, which is less than The Marvels' $46 million three-day opening. That is bad news for the DCEU's final movie, as The Marvels had the worst debut for a Marvel Studios film and will end its theatrical run as the lowest-grossing MCU movie yet, with only $204 million — according to Box Office Mojo. Despite trailers having teased an exciting story for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, the movie should be another 2023 DCEU box office disappointment.

OMG. Worse than the Marvels? What a disaster.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

hMzlbgr.jpg

Ouch.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

hMzlbgr.jpg

Ouch.
Seems like this is the nail in the coffin for Superhero movies

Billbofet

I still think this will do better, overall, than The Marvels. I would think it's international take will be much higher than domestic.
That said, this looks like shit.

ReBurn

Gold Member

hMzlbgr.jpg

Ouch.
Tomatometer that low probably means the movie is pretty ok.

Don't forget to take a photograph to prove you're the only person watching the movie.

It was shite, far worse than The Flash, probably on par with Ant Man 3 as the worst superhero movie this year.

For those curious about how they deal with Amber Herd...

They almost kill her off right at the start when she gets a laser beam to the tits, which I presumed was their way of writing her out as you next see her in an underwater hospital bed looking crispy, but nope, she returns 20 minutes later and has a lot of screen time, even has the best fight move and saves Aquaman's ass towards the end BUT they don't let her talk at all in the film, she says like 5 words at the end and that's it, so strange, considering they could easily have just left her in the hospital bed for the film.

My biggest gripe

The villain has this scientist dude who's helping him and regrets it pretty early on, "maybe we shouldn't be doing this.." etc etc, but he just goes along with it anyway for like 90 minutes, this is destroying the planet and I should stop you but I'm already in my pyjamas energy. Then at the end he does the bare minimum to make amends and gets a kiss from the bed pooper for it. Fuck that guy.

Last edited:
Watched it while waiting for my brother in law to finish his grad ceremony. Most disposable movie ive watched in a long time. Only thing worth highlighting is the bro2bro banter and even then its inferior to the Thor and Loki heydays.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

hMzlbgr.jpg

Ouch.

Really the only person to make Aquaman good was Geoff Johns, and the first movie was most of his New 52 run condensed into a movie. Since some psychotic cultists named him the "snake" and set out to destroy him, they basically had to come up with an original Aquaman story without him and failed.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, that was a movie. Much like Aquaman 1 (which I watched last night in prep) this film never takes a breath, it's pretty much action or visual stimuli every second. I liked a lot of what they were going for, but WOW did this film feel like it was hacked to pieces in the editing room. Wasn't there supposed to be a whole Batman sequence they kept refilming with Affleck and Keaton because they couldn't figure out of this film was before or after Flashpoint? Mera of course is LITERALLY reduced to eye candy as almost every line she could have had was cut. That is a damn fine looking woman though, top right on the hot/crazy scale :p

The kids loved it, if Dc wants to make films for children they are on the right path, bit heavy with the swearing though. Overly lavish use of FX, they could have taken out about 8000 effects shots easy, just totally gratuitous octopus robots, octopus spies, scorpion bugs, carnivorous plants, etc. This was really more of a fantasy film than anything, and such a direct sequel to Aquaman 1 they exist in their own little bubble universe, which probably bodes well for these 2 films longevity compared to most of the rest of the DCU.

Alcibiades

Came back from seeing it in Dual Laser IMAX. It's quite the entertaining crowd pleaser.

The storyline involving the brothers and royal family is good. The villain stuff not so much.

I'd say it's on par with Black Adam, Shazam 2, and Blue Beetle, all of which I enjoyed. It's basically a wild ride of action and special effects, with Mamoa's personality (along with his on-screen brother) pulling everything together.

I cannot comprehend how The Marvels has a higher RT score than this. Aquaman 2 is so much better and I plan to see it again in maybe 4DX or Dolby Cinema, whereas I would never care to watch The Marvels again and it was by far the worse MCU entry.

People are tired of heroes bs.
And yet, Spider-Man 2 is flying off of shelves. It's not that people are tired of superheroes, they're tired of the shitty products that Marvel and DC think they can get away with because "everything comic book sells." Of course, that's never been true. Just like Disney is realizing with Star Wars.

On the Marvel side, people are sick and tired of the films not being good anymore and instead being used to push an agenda/message. On DC's side, their DCEU was rushed to catch up to the MCU and only had a couple of hits in a sea of mediocrity.

To make matters worse, DC already announced the DCEU was dead and they were starting over. However, instead of just starting from scratch, they decided to push out 4 bland movies that are still connected to the dead DCEU. Two of which have controversial stars that audiences aren't exactly in love with. They really should have just wrote those movies off, like they did Batwoman. Instead, those movies will leave a stink on the new James Gunn DCU.

Doom85

Came back from seeing it in Dual Laser IMAX. It's quite the entertaining crowd pleaser.

The storyline involving the brothers and royal family is good. The villain stuff not so much.

I'd say it's on par with Black Adam, Shazam 2, and Blue Beetle, all of which I enjoyed. It's basically a wild ride of action and special effects, with Mamoa's personality (along with his on-screen brother) pulling everything together.

I cannot comprehend how The Marvels has a higher RT score than this. Aquaman 2 is so much better and I plan to see it again in maybe 4DX or Dolby Cinema, whereas I would never care to watch The Marvels again and it was by far the worse MCU entry.

The only good thing primarily about The Marvels was Kamala, like her or not, the actress at least had some energy to the role (well, Samuel L. Jackson too of course, but he didn’t have much screentime). Though to be fair to Monica’s actress, the script gave her little to work with. Brie Larson is good in other roles but not here, so I feel she does not give a fuck about the character of Carol by this point as the script did try to humanize Carol more with her mistake in what she did to the Kree planet but Brie’s acting is so rough here it didn’t matter (like, her reaction to one of them calling her “The Destroyer”, she sounded really annoyed, but later we find out she knows it’s her fault, so why would she be annoyed at something she agrees with is her fault?!). And while Black Manta was pretty standard in his personality, at least the actor played the part well which is more than can I say for whoever played the villain in Marvels as she just felt off the whole time.

The best stuff in Aquaman 2 was with Arthur and Orm together. Arthur’s dad as well. Thank god they clearly must have greatly reduced Mera’s role in this after the Depp trial, like even setting aside what she did, her acting is not great. The fight scenes were a mixed bag, some of the more chaotic ones were a bit too much visually, but there was some good ones as well. Particularly the last fight of Arthur vs. Manta being a nice one-shot.

I also like how they made fun of the “explosions abruptly interrupting a conversation” shtick that was done a ton in the first movie.

Would say the first film is better, but this was a decent time.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Just got back from seeing this. Still visually striking, story wise and direction wise its quite a mess. This is one of those ''The sequel isn't better by a long shot than the original'' kind of films.

Also seeing Amber Heard in there is just wrong.

But it was alright. It beats Brie Larson by a mile.

Top Bottom