• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AquaPazza: Aquaplus Dream Match |OT| No, not Pizza, Pazza.

FYC

Banned

Publishers: Aquaplus(JP), Atlus USA(NA)
Platforms: Arcade, PlayStation 3
Release Dates: August 30 2012(JP), November 19 2013(NA),
Genre: 2D Fighter
Rating: T / CERO B
MSRP: $29.99
Purchase: Gamestop, Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Newegg, VGP.ca, Import(Playasia)

Aquapazza is the latest fighting game from arcade developer Examu, it is also a joint collaboration with Aquaplus and Leaf who developed all the titles and characters that are featured in this game. Aquapazza is a "Dream Match" game as it combines dozens characters from various Aquaplus titles including To Heart, Utawarerumono, and Tears to Tiara.

iVehX8HoKVr3T.png

iKmV5wtj3O3Kj.png

iy9vTidhIQ5Fy.png

iIIfRqJZQ08me.png

iQeTAu3YurtI2.png

iXK7iQJnSmUrp.png

iREBXOuBG6ueX.png

iP68YHqLUuNoi.png

iZAQ5HlFhLY5N.png

ibrlRA5zJ0DnIJ.png

ibfI0ClOLRmd0J.png

ibxDByGOf85ByN.png

ibp1zvBOZHtDX8.png

Partners

AtlusUSA YouTube Channel
GameSpot Now Playing
Norcal Dogfight - AquaPazza Casuals 2012

iWVTrYMy8WvIW.gif
ibCnWxZEUqkEl.gif

Figured since some people have already imported, the OT might as well go up now. Most of these images are from Atlus' blog and official site.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I love pizza ( ・ω・)

Don't love these characters thou- ( ゚Д゚) Rina is that you

Crazy Pizza

should I assume the netcode in this game is going to be ass?

After Arcana Heart 3's amazing netcode, I thought this may have been up to snuff as well, but import impressions from a few friends told me it's noticeably worse when against other players in the US. They say it's playable, though. Only time will tell once more people get their hands on it within their own regions.

RMI

Banned
I'm not really into fighting games much, but i really want this game. It reminds of of the good old days when there were a bunch of janky b-tier fighting games around.

Dio

Banned
Waterpizza is the new shit for some of my friends. Debating whether to get it, since some of them are fickle.

Coincidentally, it's been years since I played Utawarerumono.

Ramune

underwaterrayromano.jpg

Underwater Ray Romano in Aqua Pizza....I'll buy it!

Seems Atlus does have some crazy in them when the next generation rolls around as they brought out the original Arcana Heart near the end of the PS2's American lifecycle. I feel I should check out the Tears to Tiara seires soon, as they're the semi-unknowns to me among this roster of characters.

I still can't believe we're even getting this. Hell, it's probably the only chance some of these characters will ever have to be in an English video game.

I almost wonder if this means that Atlus is considering doing TtT2, since that has none of the "erotic content" issues that older Aquaplus games do.

I'm almost tempted to throw down dollars for it just to support the crazy, though I'll probably wait for some more reviews and impressions.

I still can't believe we're even getting this. Hell, it's probably the only chance some of these characters will ever have to be in an English video game.

I almost wonder if this means that Atlus is considering doing TtT2, since that has none of the "erotic content" issues that older Aquaplus games do.

I'm almost tempted to throw down dollars for it just to support the crazy, though I'll probably wait for some more reviews and impressions.

late in the gen Sony typically eases up their restrictions

we're even getting that Jojo's kusogame, lol

Kumubou

I'm a bit surprised the game is coming out in the US, as the core game is playable, but it's thin on content. The $30 price point helps with that -- it wouldn't surprise me if this was originally planned as a DD-only release but AquaPlus stepped in and nixed that for whatever reason. There's one huge issue (at least with the import version, and I seriously doubt this is fixed in the US release): the netcode is absolute, irredeemable garbage. It seriously is KoF XIII console levels of awfulness when played online.

One minor nitpick about the OP: for Tamaki, I'm surprised you didn't list Uluthy as one of her main assists. The oki she gets off lightning after a knockdown is just gross. I would have replaced Yu with Uluthy, personally.

late in the gen Sony typically eases up their restrictions

we're even getting that Jojo's kusogame, lol

I'm not even so much talking about that as I am the fact that anyone bothered at all. At best English-speakers have gotten animated works these characters have featured in, and that's not even true for all of them. We've never gotten a single one of the games. The market for people interested in this game is going to be pretty small outside Japan, and I'm (pleasantly) surprised Atlus moved on it.

Really makes me wonder if they might not have something more up their sleeve.
emot-3.gif

I'm a bit surprised the game is coming out in the US, as the core game is playable, but it's thin on content. The $30 price point helps with that -- it wouldn't surprise me if this was originally planned as a DD-only release but AquaPlus stepped in and nixed that for whatever reason. There's one huge issue (at least with the import version, and I seriously doubt this is fixed in the US release): the netcode is absolute, irredeemable garbage. It seriously is KoF XIII console levels of awfulness when played online.

One minor nitpick about the OP: for Tamaki, I'm surprised you didn't list Uluthy as one of her main assists. The oki she gets off lightning after a knockdown is just gross. I would have replaced Yu with Uluthy, personally.

Those images and recs are from Atlus themselves, actually. You'd want to take it up with them
emot-v.gif

OceanBlue

Waterpizza! It looks fun, so maybe I'll play it. It's going to have to compete with BBCP for time though. :<

There's one huge issue (at least with the import version, and I seriously doubt this is fixed in the US release): the netcode is absolute, irredeemable garbage. It seriously is KoF XIII console levels of awfulness when played online.

Lol shit.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Paging SAB CA.

Present and accounted for! Even if really late.... XD Man, I gotta find a way to fit this in to Next Gen Purchase crazi! Oy. WORTH IT FOR MANAKA!

This and Chaos Breaker (aka Dark Awake) have my interest BIG TIME now that I'm getting a PS3.

Don't forget a bit of Chaos Code with your Chaos Breaker! Since getting a PS3 last year, I've never gotten an Uncharted or GoW... but I made sure to get Code, Breaker, Arcana 3, and Import Aquapazza, lol.

There's one huge issue (at least with the import version, and I seriously doubt this is fixed in the US release): the netcode is absolute, irredeemable garbage. It seriously is KoF XIII console levels of awfulness when played online.

This seems somewhat exaggerated. Though I got this at the same time as Arcana 3, I found myself wanting to play this much more, because I enjoy it's gameplay more. In that time, I found a FEW people who played in the US, but mostly Japanese players (east coast US myself).

A lot of this was pre-patch. Though I played a few post, as well.

Some matches were clearly horrible, yes. KoF XII levels of stutter and lag. And as this game DOESN'T have absolute guard AT ALL, being off on the high/low mixups will often lead to horrible death.

But others ran consistently, and with low lag, given the situation. And as a person playing Local VS more often that online in the game, I found little issue transitioning between the two, in the best of matches. A few JP to US ones felt as good as the rare US to US ones I encountered. Didn't seem to have a host advantage either, as most ranked matches would switch between host, and I'd fight the same people from both sides of the screen.

If I remember right, the training mode even has an option to let one practice in variations of lag (much like Marvel VS), as well as quick character, assist, and stage select from right within the menu, so one can test their motions and such under adverse situations pretty easily. Playing Manaka with her Instant-double-jump-for-Short-hops demanded the game respond when one wants it too, on offense and defense, and I generally found this doable.

US to US matches should easily be worlds better than most of the hell I experienced then, haha. Especially since it's post patch.

I think the worse thing is that it tries to Synch like Blazblue did, but if it Synch's wrong, you're in for a world of crap. And it can flux between matches with the same people. But when it's at it's best, it does fairly well. I rarely had issues with inconsistency between solid higher connections.

As far as seeing the game light on content... with the WIDE variety of gameplay behind the assist-usage, I never felt this way. I still now feel that there are worlds of depth I could plumb by putting Manaka or Hakuwolo with new partners, and Sasara, Chizuru, and Morgan still feel unexplored to me. Everyone really plays different with many unique movement options, special meters, and funky little trickery that feels kind of like an old-school take at making Blazblue like uniqueness.

I absolutely love how unique the game feels, even to this day. The idea of getting to see new players grow though playing it makes me smile, as I have found memories of seeing people pull off new stuff in every extended play session I managed to jump into...

-----

ReXXXX, how did we NEVER get in any matches, even though we were both lookin' forward to it last year around this time? LoL.

Sora_N

Will this be on PSN? I honestly don't know if I need this RIGHT NOW but I have preordered it, I may just cancel and buy on PSN later.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Will this be on PSN? I honestly don't know if I need this RIGHT NOW but I have preordered it, I may just cancel and buy on PSN later.

PSN on next Tuesday, mentioned above. Being able to use the SEN wallet credit on it makes a nice little extra discount too, for any who still have that left!

Coxy

That'd be awesome, I tried the japanese demo for TtT2 and it was pretty decent, would definitely buy it if it came west, Uta 2 as well

Will buy this for HakuYOLO and Karura

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I still want more Comic Party in this game, btw! Taishii & Reiko 4 DLC! (T_T)

I can't stop laughing at the fact H game characters are in this.

This stopped throwing me off, when
A. I notice how many "All ages" releases these characters get on consoles and such.
B. I watched some of the anime before knowing the origins.​
And the game is REALLY low on the pervy meter, too. You think it'd be more like the PSP To Heart Dungeon Explorers games, but it ends up possibly being tamer than Arcana Heart 1 or 2...

Lemstar

There's a $10 dollar gift card bonus for preordering at Newegg today.

If anyone wants to gameshare a digital copy, let me know. Phantoms would be paying $5 and resells $10, but the game's niche enough that there's no sense making a group without at least three people interested.

Kumubou

So it turns out that Examu actually did take another pass at the netcode, as another patch for the game is going live on PSN for the Japanese version. They added a couple of features for online play, like being able to filter by region and set comments for players rooms. It also looks like they added the ability to search for ranked games in the background while playing, which sounds really nice (but I'm not sure if that's the correct translation, or how limited the feature is). I'm curious to see how well it runs after the update.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm glad to see they keep working on this games network functions constantly. Might be some large gaps in between, but it's much better than a "release-and-forget" style.

I guess the JP and US/Int'l versions should be able to play together then, right? So I wouldn't HAVE to get the US release, if I wanted to play with those who DO get it? Still will probably get it anyway, but it would be nice to have the option.

Volcynika

I'm glad to see they keep working on this games network functions constantly. Might be some large gaps in between, but it's much better than a "release-and-forget" style.

I guess the JP and US/Int'l versions should be able to play together then, right? So I wouldn't HAVE to get the US release, if I wanted to play with those who DO get it? Still will probably get it anyway, but it would be nice to have the option.

I haven't seen anyone ask, but I wouldn't think the online would be region locked in that manner. Not sure though.

Top Bottom