• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AquaPazza: Aquaplus Dream Match |OT| No, not Pizza, Pazza.

7threst

I imported it without actually knowing what it was except that it's a fighter. I loved what I say on YT so ordered it when announced. My copy will arrive in a few days. I know I will suck at it but, as with every fighting game I play, I will love it anyway!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Got my copy. Looking forward to trying this out with the other five people who bought this. :/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There's only one unlock in the game, by the way. Boss Ma-Ryan assist after beating Story Mode with any character in any way.

Kumubou

My copy hasn't shipped from Amazon yet... but that's OK, since I have the import. I'm curious to see how well the new netcode handles with players actually in the US. Send requests to RottenSashimi on PSN if you want to see the world's worst Tamaki.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Netcode seems a bit better than it used to be. Character Select is still laggy but at least you can get a playable match if the connection is solid enough.

Also, feel a bit sorry for the guy I just played against. Basically went through various cheap tech he wasn't prepared for, but at the same time, when I fought him with my main I got a double perfect. He also tried to counterpick my sub early on with Chizuru. No mercy!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Still DLing the US version, then trying online with a PSN friend, should be interesting to see how this works out!

Wohoo, I spent more on AP than I have on nearly any fighter! WORTH IT.

I'm glad Utawarerumono, Comic Party, and Tears to Tiara all have their anime / some manga out in the US, at least. (Think To Heart made it here long ago, as well.) At least talk of the games cast doesn't get ENTIRELY blank stares, lol.

Volcynika

Got my copy :D

1474383_10101882060717305_2111143085_n.jpg

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Got my copy. Apparently it shares trophy list from the japanese version, and it let me download my stats from the japanese version, sweet!

Kumubou

Kumubou: Good games. Laggier than I would have liked though. It's really hard to play Sasara underwater.
Those matches were funny. Tamaki in lag feels like you're driving a goddamn tank. The funniest thing is, I think those were the laggiest matches I played in my session. The netcode seems improved -- but it's still not great. It's a bit worse than SF4's -- but that means it's close enough to actually be comparable, which is an improvement from what it was. GGPO plz ;_;.

Hubb

Touka's victory pose where she accidentally throws her sword is adorable. Haven't played enough of Karura, her voice actor seems different from what I remember.

EDIT: I take it back, I didn't look up voice actors but it does sound like it is the same. Finally got to a portion where she spoke a decent amount.

It's a bit worse than SF4's -- but that means it's close enough to actually be comparable, which is an improvement from what it was. GGPO plz ;_;.

Yeah, better than KOF13 but worse than SF4 is a pretty apt comparison in my book. At least I've been slowly adjusting to playing underwater, which was more fitting than it should be.

I never got a chance to get my hands on the game until today. I'd watched streams of it played and discussed about it with friends that had imported it. Sadly, I wasn't really enjoying it at first today, but as I acclimated myself to the mechanics and netcode, I started to enjoy it a bit more. Not really feeling the assists just yet though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
My experiences with online last night were actually annoying. Only fought one person, but the lag would shift wildly from "I can do tiger knees with no issues all throught the first match!" to "My normals are a button-press behind, and I can do a motion, and return to neutral, before the screen catches up".

ALL WITHIN THE SAME MATCH, BBETWEEN ROUNDS. Even KoF XIII (XBL) would generally Stick in the same way a full match on consoles, and SFIV would flux, but it wouldn't degrade as a match went on, it'd just have moments of EH. What I felt in AP last night gave no grounds for consistency, and at it's worse, it's probably worse or equal to KoF 98 On XBLA, which is unplayably annoying.

Maybe it's the chance of wireless use on PSN vs wired for most on XBL. Or maybe my ports screwed up or something. I had an easier time with most JP play in the past, compared to this same-country battle I just fought now... bleh.

But, I'll still keep at it! One impression is never enough to judge overall competence of netcode.

At it's best, it felt like any non-rollback fighter. My instant double-jumps with Manaka were working fine, I was able to attack on reaction rather than just through predictions, and it felt similar to offline.

This is what you get pre-match when you do Multi vs. Manaka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlpaUNr1PrU

That's one of the things I love about this game: it's one of few modern fighters to get Intro and Win poses right. Lots of clashing between personalities, ideals, and even just "hey, that kinda reminds me of..." elements, like Touka's Haohmau Victory pose Tribute.

Capcom's fallen into doing such things only in writing, and never in animation anymore. At least they still make a host of cool taunts in SFIV-series. Injustice has vocal quips, but never a thing that changes animation at all. SNKP does as much as they can, but they've cut back on it because they don't have nearly as many "spare frames" lying around as their old iterative games used to. So to see a fighter start off with such personality, in this day and age, can't be complimented enough.

And I love that the trophy data and ranking synced from my JP playing! That's quite surprising. Though it seems you have to start over on anything Offline-related, but I haven't tested much in that regard. And that's fine anyway, as now I can actually READ what's happening in the story...

Mbrill82

My copy shipped from Amazon on Monday so I should have it today or tomorrow, can any and everyone please add me t\on PSN? I literally have ONE friend and he's just an old buddy I've known since HS who only uses his PS3 for Netflix haha

PSN: MattyB-37

Ms. Tea

What's the online community like so far? Is it hard to find a match? I was considering picking this up, but probably won't if it'd be hard to play online.

Hubb

What's the online community like so far? Is it hard to find a match? I was considering picking this up, but probably won't if it'd be hard to play online.

First day for me was fine, but due to work I haven't had a chance to play online since then. Hopefully this weekend will still have (relatively speaking) plenty of players.

Ms. Tea

Picked this up yesterday. Only had a chance to play around in training mode for about a half hour, but my impression's been good so far. I like the physics, and really like Touka's SNK-inspired design.

PM me to trade PSN usernames if you're looking for people to play online!

Naite

Finally got the game after a bunch of shipping delays (screw UPS..). Tried out Sasara in training mode for 25 mins and jumped straight into score attack mode. Damn Chizuru sure is something in this mode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Went to get Tales of Xillia from GS (which happened to be the LE!) & noticed this, forgetting it was out. Decided to grab since I had some spare cash & hopefully will try it this weekend if I've got the time. Though not digging the fact there's 9 online trophies....

OceanBlue

The normals in this game feel so weird to me. I think Arawn and Chizuru were some of the only characters whose normals felt comparable to other characters I've played.

I'm trying to start with Manaka, but it feels difficult to control the game since my books don't do much chip, her forward dash feels as if it has a lot of recovery, and books have a lot of recovery. It probably doesn't help that I'm playing against Chizuru lol. What are some beginning tips for her?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm trying to start with Manaka, but it feels difficult to control the game since my books don't do much chip, her forward dash feels as if it has a lot of recovery, and books have a lot of recovery. It probably doesn't help that I'm playing against Chizuru lol. What are some beginning tips for her?
I play an extremely lame Manaka as my sub, so I can go over how I play her. Mind you, there are other ways to approach this character, and those are probably more robust as well.

Preferred Assist: Satsuki (the one with the gun)

Ok, when I play Manaka the two main priorities I have are screen distance and meter. Achieve these two goals and the damage will naturally follow. Manaka has great normals, particularly 2BB, but they are all fairly short so with her slow walk speed you really can't play footsies too much. B+C is great to push them back if they're hitting buttons, but even better at this is 2x qcb A+B which is air unblockable and will shove them to the opposite side of the stage on hit or block. This move, however, requires meter to do. To get this meter you need to throw books.

One book throw doesn't do a ton of damage, but multiple hits quickly add up. You also build meter just by throwing them whether they hit or not. At the start of the match, you want to retreat and get into at least qcf B range if not qcf C. Depending on whether they charge in or not you'll have to be creative with pushing them back out to that range. Once you're there, hit 6D to have Satsuki start shooting multiple shots to keep them in place while you thow books to control space and build meter. If they're hesitant, do a qcf C. If they want to come forward, have a qcf B waiting for them. If they are threatening, qcf A will keep them from starting their offense. Also keep in mind that you can jump book throw for different ranges and targets while also being evasive. Above all else, even when hit with another attack a bundle of books will break into scattered books and all of them can still hit the opponent.

Get good at tossing projectiles while mixing in Satsuki's rain of bullets, and you'll have either chipped down a ton of damage or have built enough meter to handle what happens when book tossing breaks down. Namely, 2x qcb A+B, which is invincible on startup and will beat most anything they do, followed by 6D to lock them down on wakeup while you throw MORE BOOKS and recover the meter you just burned.

Eventually you'll come up against people who will know how to bait out 2x qcb A+B, as you CAN jump over it or behind it with proper timing, but either pick your spot more wisely or defend yourself with normal attacks and then combo into it.

Now, she does have other normal and special moves to keep in mind. She can double jump, her jump A is great, her jump B is great, and you can do stuff like knocking people into the air with 5C then elbow them with B+C. She has a bookshelf drop attack that's good as well as a counter version. If you do the C version of the counter next to a cornered opponent you an walk offscreen and reappear on the opposite side. You can also adjust the range of her 2x qcf A+B super by holding A+B. When you are on your second bar of health and have three bars, her F, HCF B+C will effectively counter a close attack for over a full bar of damage. All of these will help round out your game as you won't always be able to throw books and shoot bullets with impunity.

As for playing against Chizuru specifically, be extremely cautious and favor the shorter or jump book throws as she will want to dash in. She can also punish any unnecessary action.

If your opponent picks Sasara, consider changing characters. That matchup is horrible for Manaka, but not impossible. You'll have to give up on throwing books because Sasara never has to care.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, some of these character trophies are harder than they should be (like Manaka's "My Sweet Home" one with the corner & getting Konomi's Bag Upper to "connect" with Let's Make 1192 Genghis Kahn. Any tips? The 25-hit one with Tamaki is close, though it'll take some time (holy crap at Iron Claw & getting 10 hits on that).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Man, some of these character trophies are harder than they should be (like Manaka's "My Sweet Home" one with the corner & getting Konomi's Bag Upper to "connect" with Let's Make 1192 Genghis Kahn. Any tips? The 25-hit one with Tamaki is close, though it'll take some time (holy crap at Iron Claw & getting 10 hits on that).
I mentioned how to do that Manaka trick in my post. It's not hard at all. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I mentioned how to do that Manaka trick in my post. It's not hard at all. :p

She has a bookshelf drop attack that's good as well as a counter version. If you do the C version of the counter next to a cornered opponent you an walk offscreen and reappear on the opposite side
Oh, so it's the bookshelf DROP, not the move where she hides behind it? Well that explains it, PS3trophies told me differently.

Kumubou

Tamaki's 25-hit combo is easier than it sounds. There's a couple of ways to do it: the dumbest one (but not necessarily the easiest) is to put a standing enemy in the corner, activate her splash art (222B+C), and then just mash on 2A for about 15-20 hits into 2A 2B 5C 623C and mash out 623C for the remaining hits. If you come up short by a couple of hits, you can start with j.C 5A 5B 5C and cancel the 5C into 222B+C, but doing this requires a dash after 222B+C. Doing this that way can get you to 25 hits without iron claw being used at all. The normally advised method is to start with j.C 5A 5B 5C and then cancel into 222B+C, then dash up 5A 5B 5C and loop that four times, and on the fourth one cancel 5C into 623C and mash that out.

I don't know if you're playing on pad or stick; if you're playing on pad it's probably easiest to mash the grabs out on the analog stick. It technically says to spin the stick and mash buttons but 90% of the hits come from spinning the stick. If you're playing on a stick it's probably a square gate and there's actually a bit of technique to it (since you want the minimum travel requires and can't really ride the gate). If you're on an octagonal or circular gate, then you can just churn butter like an idiot. You may also want to try switching hands during the special if you're playing on stick.

For Konomi's Bag Upper -> 1192 Genghis Kahn, you just need to input the motions one after the other. The motions buffer into themselves, so you just need to do 623C6236A+B as the motion (hell, you can input it as hold 6, 236C236A+B). The most important point there is to not stop; it needs to be done as one continuous motion. If you're having trouble doing this with the normal motions... play on Simple mode. :p The input in Simple mode is just 2C canceled into 2A+B.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, I didn't know spinning the stick counted towards hits for Iron Claw. I was playing on a normal DS3 controller (& one of those special SF4 pad controllers that I use for P2 in Vs.), & I'll have to try that technique for Tamaki & Konomi.

Thanks for the info, guys. Hopefully will finish some college stuff & be able to play more of it today, including getting some Story Mode done.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh, so it's the bookshelf DROP, not the move where she hides behind it? Well that explains it, PS3trophies told me differently.
The one where she hides behind it is the counter. Just do the C version pressing the opponent into the corner.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aaaaah, I see. I don't know why I didn't think it was a counter. Maybe because I never had 2P actually attack me. Now I feel silly not knowing that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
so is this game worth playing for SP only?
Honestly, hard to say. Each character has a Story mode (i.e Arcade mode with a few cutscenes thrown in & an ending) that lasts about 8 stages, then another story that's another 8 stages. But that's it. If you're one that plays fighting games single-player mode like me, it can feel kind of barebones especially compared to other fighters nowadays.

Rarutos

This is what you get pre-match when you do Multi vs. Manaka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlpaUNr1PrU
I'm super late to replying to this, but I really love special intros like this! I really was disappointed Capcom didn't do these with SFIV or MvC3...

I've kind of been trying to watch the various anime featured in the game to familiarize myself with the characters more and it's been pretty fun! Love crazy fighting games like this, even if I'll never get good at it!

That artstyle looks like RPG Maker or very generic anime.

They're from licensed anime.

Played this about a week ago, and it was pretty cool. Not that much into fighting games, but when you have a girl doing a super where she's raving about her mom's curry, then it has my attention.

Must be the moe.

Top Bottom