• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc Rise Fantasia |OT| of "MUST ANSWER MY CALLING"

Bel Marduk said:
What's bad about the dialogue? It's as good as a lot of RPGs.

I agree it is pretty much turn based Tales. If you like Tales, get this game.

I usually defend dialogue like this, but it's cliche to the point of being extremely predictable and inappropriate for many situations. It's usually fine during serious scenes, but even then someone may say something stupid that not only ruins the tension but also leads to even stupider responses.

Man, it feels weird taking this side of the argument :/

cosmicblizzard said:
I usually defend dialogue like this, but it's cliche to the point of being extremely predictable and inappropriate for many situations. It's usually fine during serious scenes, but even then someone may say something stupid that not only ruins the tension but also leads to even stupider responses.

Man, it feels weird taking this side of the argument :/

I don't know, most of the time the dialogue seems typical to me. There are some tension breaking moments, but those usually come from Niko lol.

The only thing I don't like about the dialogue is no cursing and characters need to be more aggressive during certain scenes. For example, today I got to the part where
You find out Ignacy was the one who killed L'Arc's father
and I expected L'Arc to say something like "You bastard, you're the one who killed my father!?" or something similar. But instead he's like "You're the one who killed my father?" even though
he killed Zamuel too
and I thought he'd be angrier than that.

I don't know if this was a problem in the original game or just the localization, but I'm used to aggressiveness found in Tales games and such because it adds to the tension better.

WOW. I know JRPG's are a dieing breed, but I'm going to give this game a shot. I miss my the traditional time based RPGs. I've been going a little crazy with all these "RPGS" having you press X to evade. Why should I do that if my DEX is at 80?

Ok so i started this back now, just beat Alf and his crew for Rufunga and jesus fuck that fight was hard, but once Alf died everything became a lot easier.

Ricker

Damn I should really finish this as well,I stopped playing right after getting what you usually get about 2/3 of the way in a JRPG,and one of the optional harder/elite ennemy fight was pissing me off,kinda raged quit a bit and other games started rolling in...I was enjoying it a lot.

Ricker said:
Damn I should really finish this as well,I stopped playing right after getting what you usually get about 2/3 of the way in a JRPG,and one of the optional harder/elite ennemy fight was pissing me off,kinda raged quit a bit and other games started rolling in...I was enjoying it a lot.
Which one was it?

Desi

flintstryker said:
Ok so i started this back now, just beat Alf and his crew for Rufunga and jesus fuck that fight was hard, but once Alf died everything became a lot easier.
Yeah I am coming up on that fight. Level 30 walking into the dungeon before the beach. Hope to god I win.

Desi

way for the game to not explain DP at all (not even in Mercs section). Guess I am going to have to orb reset ryfia by next town.

Ricker

flintstryker said:
Which one was it?

Its one of those little guys,looks like a cactus without arms,he throws all kinds of debuffs on you,couldn`t figure out how to beat him...i`ll check today what level I am in the game,didn`t play since early September.

TunaLover

I think this game deserved more attention, it's easily one of the most dynamic and entertaining battle systems that I've played, it's kinda sad that it got overlooked by the hit and miss voice acting, because other elements like animation, detail, camera takes, scenario, design, and music are great.

farnham

Banned
so should i get the japanese version of this ? (as the NA version is a borked mess with crappy localization ?) or just skip the game all together. it looks like it is a decent game that suffers from its bad localization.

MoogPaul

farnham said:
so should i get the japanese version of this ? (as the NA version is a borked mess with crappy localization ?) or just skip the game all together. it looks like it is a decent game that suffers from its bad localization.

Its basically a Tales Of game with a unique turn based system and crap localization. The decision is yours.

farnham said:

I'd say get it. The VA is very PS1 but the game is great.

ajim

Alllllllright.... Been playing this, and enjoying it thus far, and am currently up to the
Antrax Parish
city.

I'm still at a loss with some things tho:

-How do I know which new swords/weapons are better than the last? Aren't there any stats? I've avoided buying them because I can't find whats better at what, which is a huge pain in the ass.

-Also, is there any point to upgrading the magic stuff? I seem to get by find without any magic at all.

Cheers.

ajim said:
Alllllllright.... Been playing this, and enjoying it thus far, and am currently up to the
Antrax Parish
city.

-How do I know which new swords/weapons are better than the last? Aren't there any stats? I've avoided buying them because I can't find whats better at what, which is a huge pain in the ass.

-Also, is there any point to upgrading the magic stuff? I seem to get by find without any magic at all.

Cheers.
The swords are not necessarily better than each other in the traditional sense but they each have unique abilities that makes them better for certain monster types and other stuff so i would advice buying and leveling up all of them.

As for magic and you start seeing its use soon enough i won't however advice to waste them up too much just yet.

ajim

flintstryker said:
The swords are not necessarily better than each other in the traditional sense but they each have unique abilities that makes them better for certain monster types and other stuff so i would advice buying and leveling up all of them.

As for magic and you start seeing its use soon enough i won't however advice to waste them up too much just yet.
Thanks. That just makes things even more confusing lol :(.

Also, I'm up (spoiler battle) to
large shrimp battle, and once it transforms, it destroys me way too fast. any tips on how to tackle it?

ajim said:
Antrax Parish
city.

Cheers.

What I did was level up any not leveled up weapons and then when I had none left, put all the abilities into one weapon and use that one. Can't remember what it was called, but if you fill the whole thing in, you get an extra ability that was like attack + 10 or something. L'arc was a beast with that weapon.

cosmicblizzard said:
What I did was level up any not leveled up weapons and then when I had none left, put all the abilities into one weapon and use that one. Can't remember what it was called, but if you fill the whole thing in, you get an extra ability that was like attack + 10 or something. L'arc was a beast with that weapon.
every weapon have an extra ability too which is not always necessarily a gain to attack.

ajim

Holy shit... Shit has just hit the fan in the stoery and I have NO idea whats going on, but i LIKE it. haha.

ajim

Another question: You know when you have a guest character and they become the 4th member on the battle field, is there any way to assign your normal team members as a 4th cpu controlled player in the battles, or am I stuck with 3 on battle?

ajim said:
Another question: You know when you have a guest character and they become the 4th member on the battle field, is there any way to assign your normal team members as a 4th cpu controlled player in the battles, or am I stuck with 3 on battle?

You're stuck.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ajim said:
Holy shit... Shit has just hit the fan in the stoery and I have NO idea whats going on, but i LIKE it. haha.
You must've gotten to the part where I was like, "Holy shit this game is amazing!!"

I really liked this game--the battle system was wonderful, the narrative was alright, the sidequests are fun, the skits are nice, and the weapon system was fantastic. It's just that the voices aren't very nice to hear, but they do get better as the game goes on (though they needed to be more aggressive during some scenes). But the localization... the text needed to be proofread, and some of the dialogue wasn't what I expected (as others have pointed out earlier in this thread).

ajim

Dark Schala said:
You must've gotten to the part where I was like, "Holy shit this game is amazing!!"

I really liked this game--the battle system was wonderful, the narrative was alright, the sidequests are fun, the skits are nice, and the weapon system was fantastic. It's just that the voices aren't very nice to hear, but they do get better as the game goes on (though they needed to be more aggressive during some scenes). But the localization... the text needed to be proofread, and some of the dialogue wasn't what I expected (as others have pointed out earlier in this thread).
I agree with all of this thus far!

Also, Serge is the pick of the bunch as far as all the characters go. He has charisma, wit, charm and is funny. Also, his VA is half-way decent. Really enjoying the way he interacts and stirs up the other team members.

Great game.

Dark Schala said:

Yeah, once you hit that moment, the story starts getting really awesome. I think that's why the localization is such a shame. The story is really engaging and kept me going the whole way, and the characters are awesome, but every scene you have these poorly localized lines and weird voice acting that takes you out of.

But when you combine the interesting story with the great battle system, you wind up with a pretty awesome game. I just think it's a shame that more people haven't played it.

ajim

I may be crazy, but I feel some similarities between ARF and Skies of Arcadia in terms of character development, types of characters and the way in which they interact with one another. Which is a positive thing, there aren't many games with characters that just 'gel' well together. Plus, I REALLY enjoy the in-game banter they have at anytime about certain topics, or just to take the piss out of one another.

Very cool.

I just think it's a shame that more people haven't played it.
I actually wanted to get it on release, but haven't been able to find it locally here in Melbourne. I had to resort to buying it from ebay which is a pain in the ass. Seems like the type of game that isn't super easy to find :(.

I REALLY need to start playing this game. Someone put a fricken' gun to my head, already!
Get to it! *Points gun*

ajim

Just beat it. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck SO good. I wish more people could play this game. SO good.

ajim said:
I may be crazy, but I feel some similarities between ARF and Skies of Arcadia in terms of character development, types of characters and the way in which they interact with one another. Which is a positive thing, there aren't many games with characters that just 'gel' well together. Plus, I REALLY enjoy the in-game banter they have at anytime about certain topics, or just to take the piss out of one another.

There's definitely some Skies in there. If I didn't know better, I'd say that's what they were going for.

wazoo

Just started playing, I like it a lot.

Being european, the voice acting does not bother me, I find it ok, and the battle system is awesome. My previous RPG was FFXIII and the next one will be Xenoblade, I am happy to play ARF in the void.

Reveirg

wazoo said:
Just started playing, I like it a lot.

Being european, the voice acting does not bother me, I find it ok, and the battle system is awesome. My previous RPG was FFXIII and the next one will be Xenoblade, I am happy to play ARF in the void.

It's actually one of my favourite RPGs from this gen. Customization is quite deep, battles are some of the most intense I've seen amongst turn-based system games, difficulty is spot-on, story was quite alright (much more enjoyable IMO than ToV). It also sported some great music (including a few tracks from Mitsuda).

I can only hope some of Imageepoch's new games will make it stateside. For now, it doesn't seem likely because PSP games don't get localized anymore. I hope they make a good JRPG for an HD console.

Zafir

Yeah I definitely saw some Skies of Arcadia in it.

I wasn't really expecting much from ARF but was pleasantly surprised. The only thing that really pissed me off, bar the voice acting, was crashes/freezes. For example, that dungeon where you split into 3 teams, where theres only one save right at the start of the dungeon. The game locked up loading the scene where you bump into alf after obtaining the summon. Had to redo it all, wasn't best pleased. I'm not sure whether it was the games fault though, I have to use Neogamma/Gecko OS to play my imported copy(Region locking ftl) so it could easily been that causing problems. Speaking of which, it's a damn shame it wasn't released in europe.

Reveirg

Zafir said:
Yeah I definitely saw some Skies of Arcadia in it.

That's interesting, I never got around to playing SoA. I do have the Gamecube version actually, but I'm just not that much into the visual style.

What should I look forward to?

Kid Ying

Playing this right now. Overall, it's a fun little game. I had on my backlog for a LOT of time and started to play it again these days. It's a nice little story and i liked the characters and the battle system.

But damn, this game is hard. The normal monsters are such pussies that when you fight against a boss it looks like "OMG! WHAT IS THIS SHIT?" i'm fighting against a huge shrimp right now and at first it was like "Oh, it's the first easy boss i've ever fought in this game" but then it was revealed that it was only the tail of the real boss. Oh, c'mon...

But i'm liking it. I really like Alf and i wish the best for him, hehe. Nico is also really cool, but he makes so much mess that i keep wondering if he is a double agent or something. No one could possible be that much of a wimp.

Toth

Learn to use the fire spell combos that double your Max HP (I think they are lvl 3 spells???) They also provide the best healing in the game too.They make a TON of difference in latter battles. Many of the hardest battles in the game become doable and much more fun with it XD

Kid Ying

I'm still playing the game. Wow, there's a lot of plot twist going on there. Some of them were like "i totally saw that coming" and some of them are like "what the fuck is this shit, man?"

I'm not i'm a hurry, i only got my second rogress now, but till this moment, the story is really starting to get a little deeper, with a lot of questions being made with no answer is sight. I feel like there's a lot that can be made just focusing on the duality between L'arc and Alf, but there's still that guy called Ignaxios that keep appearing in conversations here and there and looks like it's the main villain of the game.

Well, anyway, it's a hell of a good game and makes me sad that i only got to play it now when it was collecting dust for months here. And the soundtrack is really awesome. If it's from the same guy that made CT/CC, it shows that he didn't lose his talent.

Yeah, the game definitely has a lot of plot twists. It really made me constantly feel like I just had to find out what happened next. I think there's a lot to be said for how the game is structured in that way. I was pretty much always amped when I was sitting down to play it.

Kid Ying

I'm think i'm in love with this game. :) Really is a shame that so few people played.

Right now i'm fighting Clyde for the second time, but the guy is HARD(just like the whole game). He killed me twice in a role when i was just finishing him. Now, i'm pissed off with the game, hahaha.

I'm think the difficulty is one of the best aspects in the game. I grew with Final Fantasy, so a game that makes me use my potions and do some obligatory strategy instead of the usual grinding is quite nice.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Since this is bumped, I have to say that I really loved this game, voice acting aside. It's a shame that a lot of people haven't tried it just because of its voice acting or because it looks/seems blasé at the beginning, but it gets better.

The Harada/Mitsuda/Tsuchiya OST was fantastic, the story had lots of twists and turns, the weapon system was so fun to toy around with, the battle system was fantastic... I just couldn't wait to play it when the weekend rolled around.

Definitely one of the bigger hidden gems on Wii, imo.

Edit: I just noticed that I posted twice on the same page pretty much saying the same thing in each post. lol, clearly I need sleep. Doesn't matter; the game deserves lots of love. The battle system, I felt, had a lot of depth for what it was, imo. I couldn't stop gushing about it to my friends after I finished it, and the postgame content (the extra bosses and dungeon were nice treats).

I also think you should have been able to see the costumes in battle/on the field, though. Some of them are really well-designed, so it's disappointing that you couldn't see them in their full splendor.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I love this game!
Sans the English voice acting XD; Thank goodness for the J!

I would love it if they ever decided to do a sequel :D

Kid Ying

Dark Schala said:
Since this is bumped, I have to say that I really loved this game, voice acting aside. It's a shame that a lot of people haven't tried it just because of its voice acting or because it looks/seems blasé at the beginning, but it gets better.

The Harada/Mitsuda/Tsuchiya OST was fantastic, the story had lots of twists and turns, the weapon system was so fun to toy around with, the battle system was fantastic... I just couldn't wait to play it when the weekend rolled around.

Definitely one of the bigger hidden gems on Wii, imo.
Yeah. It took me a loooong while to really put my time into the game after playing a little bit, but it's so good that i feel like an idiot for waiting so long to play it.

And the weapon system is really awesome. I didn't knew at first, so when i unlocked the secret power of a weapon was like "OMG! What the hell?" So much fun. :)

Aeana

I'm finally getting back to this game lately. Playing it in Japanese, so I'm not affected by whatever localization issues the game has. Not that the Japanese VA is stellar, but it is serviceable. It actually is pretty fun, but I'm not very far in. Coming off of some of the crap I've been playing before this, it is somewhat refreshing.

Top Bottom