• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc Rise Fantasia |OT| of "MUST ANSWER MY CALLING"

Haunted

Pangya said:
do4a5t.png
Thanks for your trouble man, the increased res does so much for the image quality of those trees.

The single biggest problem with every Wii game, the poly count, geometry, models, effects, textures - it's all tolerable, but that atrocious image quality due to 480p... just ugh.

Pangya said:
Bam!

And just like that, Arc Rise Fantasia Dolphin has more HD towns than FFXIII. :lol

Haunted

Ricker said:
How the hell do I get back to the other island,the one with the initial town and Jada...completly stomped now on not knowing where to go hehe...after about 15 hours spoiler:

Adele`s story and Serge`s surprise and the whole thing in Olquina,there`s only me,Ryfia and Niko left now
Just press + to pause the game and there's a summary what happened last and where to go next in the lower left. It's updated extremely frequently, too. Very handy when you've stopped playing for a day or two and forgot what to do. :D

Ricker

slasher_thrasher21 said:
You sir, just gave me the inspiration to continue. I felt like I might have to start over. Funny enough though, I stopped playing this at this part, but still wanted to play a RPG so I popped back in my FF13 which I had not touched since it was released and got caught up in that. Now I'll be knee deep in two RPGS. :lol

Also who is the kid with the red hair again?... I swear his va sounds like they were trying to impersonate Jerry Sienfeld. Maybe its just me, but when he says stuff during battle, I just crack up.

That`s Niko,the supposed comic relief of the game...his voice acting is pretty bad at first,but like the rest it seems it gets a little better as you go...and yeah,one of his battle cry cracks me up also...````here we GOOoooOOO!!!`` ....I like his level up animation though hehe...

Haunted said:
Just press + to pause the game and there's a summary what happened last and where to go next in the lower left. It's updated extremely frequently, too. Very handy when you've stopped playing for a day or two and forgot what to do. :D

Ah,forgot about that,I managed to move the story along though now but it`s good to know.

Haunted

Ah, on the topic of Trinity Excel Acts, I've managed to create others now aside from the water-elemental one you get in the beginning, but I'm not sure if it depends on the casters, the elements of the casters, the levels, or the elements of the cast spells or what.

I did an Earth Trinity Excel Act with L'Arc, Rastan and Leslie using Fire -> Ice -> Untyped Excel Acts.

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense to me, either.

Ricker

Haunted said:
Ah, on the topic of Trinity Excel Acts, I've managed to create others now aside from the water-elemental one you get in the beginning, but I'm not sure if it depends on the casters, the elements of the casters, the levels, or the elements of the cast spells or what.

I did an Earth Trinity Excel Act with L'Arc, Rastan and Leslie using Fire -> Ice -> Untyped Excel Acts.

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense to me, either.

Also,I still can`t figure out why I can`t use level 2 and up Magic after 14 hours in the game...I dumped some DP and points into those but I can`t use them yet,although i`ve managed to max out level 1 Magic now on L`Arc,Ryfia and Alf.

Torillian

Neo Member
Ricker said:
Also,I still can`t figure out why I can`t use level 2 and up Magic after 14 hours in the game...I dumped some DP and points into those but I can`t use them yet,although i`ve managed to max out level 1 Magic now on L`Arc,Ryfia and Alf.

The level of magic is based on the gem you put into the orb, if you can put two gems in then put two gems of the same type into the orb and you'll have level 2 magic for that element. Later you'll get gems of higher levels that'll naturally let you have 2 or 3 level magic and you can combine them to get even higher.

14 hours in and still enjoying it. Seriously, the battle system in this game saves it. Just fought my first secret boss/enemy through the Guild and it was nearly impossible, at first! I love how all the equipment in this game actually matters. All weapons feel like they have their uses due to their innate secret arts and gems that cannot be removed. This boss I was fighting kept killing me in two turns. The boss was called Death Scythe and on it's second turn it would use this move that would confuse my party members basically resulting in a game over every time.

Well, I analyzed his stats with an item, and saw that he was weak against earth. I ran back to town and gave two party members earth orbs and maxed out their LV1 MP to 9. I also bought fire charms which give you a better resistance to confusion. Anyway, I went back to this asshole and used all of my AP turns between the two characters with earth orbs. Linking spells is SO ESSENTIAL in this game. If you cast the same spell linked together over and over again in one turn there seems to be some sort of multiplier. I had like a 700% damage increase on this boss and I killed him in TWO turns! So awesome!

The stats are perfect and the game feels tight. Whoever the battle programmers were really understood how to make an engaging battle system. There have not been too many classic, turn based RPGs recently, let alone ones that feel like they have well thought out systems, but this game is definitely doing something right!

Ricker

Torillian said:
The level of magic is based on the gem you put into the orb, if you can put two gems in then put two gems of the same type into the orb and you'll have level 2 magic for that element. Later you'll get gems of higher levels that'll naturally let you have 2 or 3 level magic and you can combine them to get even higher.

Ah now I get it,Urban Scholar explained it to me also earlier hehe...I think I have 2 flame and water gems I can try that with.

Haunted

Ricker said:
Ah now I get it,Urban Scholar explained it to me also earlier hehe...I think I have 2 flame and water gems I can try that with.
One thing to note is that opposing elements will react negatively to each other, meaning that your two level 1 fire gems will combine to lvl 2, but when you connect a water gem to either of them, it'll knock them down to lvl 1 again.

Fire x Water and Wind x Earth are combinations to avoid.

The other gem combinations unlock new elements.
(Ice, Lightning, Dark, Light)

zigg

Haunted said:
One thing to note is that opposing elements will react negatively to each other, meaning that your two level 1 fire gems will combine to lvl 2, but when you connect a water gem to either of them, it'll knock them down to lvl 1 again.

Fire x Water and Wind x Earth are combinations to avoid.

The other gem combinations unlock new elements.
(Ice, Lightning, Dark, Light)

But you can avoid that effect by making sure they don't actually touch (right?) i.e. fire and water can coexist so long as there's an earth or wind between them, on both sides.

When can you buy more element gems? I bought more slots but unfortunatly have no more gems for the characters. Also a bit confused in the magic shop about the + 1 for level one. Is this leveling each level magic seperatly? I'm a bit confused.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
When can you buy more element gems? I bought more slots but unfortunatly have no more gems for the characters. Also a bit confused in the magic shop about the + 1 for level one. Is this leveling each level magic seperatly? I'm a bit confused.

I don't think you can buy elemental shards. I've just been finding them by talking to people in towns and in dungeons, I believe. I am 15 hours in and never saw a shop yet so maybe later they are able to be purchased? I think I just learned that you can steal them from bosses, which I wish I knew ahead of a time. =(

Anyway, magic works like this. The slot extension only adds another orb slot to your characters wheel. If you place two orbs of the same element, for example, two water orbs, then your water magic for that character will be level 2 and you will have access to level 2 water spells.

The upgrades below the slot extension in the magic shop are MP upgrades for each level of magic. I believe the max MP you can acquire is 9 for each level. I also believe that the max amount of orbs you can equip is 5 per character. So, say you equipped 1 of each orb element then you would only have access to level 1 magic for each element. There would be no need to upgrade your level 2, 3, or 4 MP parameters because you need to have multiples of the same element to access higher levels.

But as I mentioned, say you equip two water orbs to a character, you should then pump some upgrades into the level 2 MP parameter. And yes, as you mentioned, all MP levels are kept separate. Beneath the MP upgrades are elemental magic upgrades for each base element. I believe these just increase the effect of the spells. I am not 100% sure about those upgrades yet, but I am assuming those just make offensive spells stronger and healing spells more effective?

Also, since each upgrade requires DP and there is a set amount of DP to distribute you technically cannot upgrade everything and there is no way to have access to every spell for every character. The best way to tackle this game is if you get to a boss that is too strong, check out his weakness and try and equip an orb of that elemental weakness on two characters so you can link spells together and deal TONS of damage.

I have Ryfia always with a water orb with max level 1 MP at 9 so I can heal whenever. Since you can reset your orb customization, for a price, you will most likely be altering your strategies as you get further, but money doesn't seem like too much of a problem later on.

ruffles

Do the game's enemies get harder the further your in? I usually grind until enemies on the world map give me less than 1000 XP. Fucking bullshit I grind like mad and then as I advance the story just a little bit, the enemies are 3 levels higher than me.
I'm 35 hours in:
Going back to the desert for the 2nd time for the 3rd Rogress, the enemies are tough. I keep getting owned. When I was there the first time they were a cakewalk.
The GT review was right. There's way too much unneeded grinding.

Haunted

zigg said:
But you can avoid that effect by making sure they don't actually touch (right?) i.e. fire and water can coexist so long as there's an earth or wind between them, on both sides.
That's right. I love the orb and weapon gem system in this game. I'm spending so much time in the customisation menu playing "Tetris". :lol

ruffles said:
Do the game's enemies get harder the further your in? I usually grind until enemies on the world map give me less than 1000 XP. Fucking bullshit I grind like mad and then as I advance the story just a little bit, the enemies are 3 levels higher than me.
I'm 35 hours in:
Going back to the desert for the 2nd time for the 3rd Rogress, the enemies are tough. I keep getting owned. When I was there the first time they were a cakewalk.
The GT review was right. There's way too much unneeded grinding.
It's pretty rough sometimes, yes. I didn't feel the need to grind yet, but there are some bosses who represent tough challenges. Regular enemies, not so much. Definitely keep your HP high and don't be afraid to use tons of items, they're cheap (not that money matters much once you get the appropriate gem/accessory) and cost few AP to use. I'm only a couple hours further in than you.
You're probably talking about Clyde in the ruins, which is pretty much one of the toughest battles up to that point, imo.

I'm stumped myself on one of the optional guild quests -
Amaltea in the Soliton Caves is a fucking bitch with his shield - neither Rastan's dispel nor Special Blow nor Block Defense work at all on him. :/ Any tips?

update:
disregard the above question, I've just managed to whittle the fucker down, the Earth Rogress (24k dmg) and then spamming Light and Dark magic while keeping my casters' HP up seemed the most effective. What a tough bastard.

zigg

Sammy Samusu said:
WTF JUST HAPPENED! T____T

Y'all know what I mean.

15hs in and loving every little second.

You were
abandoned by all the passable voice actors
, that's what :lol

My enjoyment of this game has gone up a notch since I got access to new stuff like level 2 gems and Trinity Acts.

Ricker

zigg said:
You were
abandoned by all the passable voice actors
, that's what :lol

Yeah :lol ...Cecille is the annoying little brat of the game but I like her excel Acts...``Cecille Punch``!!!!!!!!!! :lol especially when it instantly kills the ennemy. :D

TunaLover

Ricker said:
Well i`m about 12 hours in,and I haven`t met her yet...just met Cecille again I think her name is(that little warrior/monk girl)but her voice,strangely,isn`t that bad...I finally found where to go to continue the story but for now i`m doing the Guild quests,to clear room for more of them later on...that Diamant capital screen looks great,I loved the way you walked into that city,nice view.

Cool, thanks.
I jumping in soon, wait for my guys :D

Ricker

Taxman said:
So I unlocked the super Excel Act thing where you get an extra super attack if you sync 3 Excel Acts. Is Mystic Fortune the only thing there is? If there are other attacks, how do you determine what it will be?

Just got the first one also(love how they introduce those,saved my butt this time) so i`m wondering how this will work as well...I had Cecille,Rastan and LÀrc in my group when it happened but it could of easily been Ryfia and Niko so would it had been another spell with these 3?...

Game is pretty good,I like the whole religion/story portion of the game as well now and they keep introducing new bits here and there(small mid game spoiler) like
The divine race thing

Now that I have finished Dragon Quest IX and there being little in the way of new releases for a couple of weeks, I can dedicate more time to this. Played a few hours yesterday and today and just beat
Alfank

Have to say that anyone passing this up because of the voice acting is missing out, especially Tales fans.

Also, loved Paula when I fought her and she was my favourite female until I met Leslie <3

Datschge

Sammy Samusu said:
I just got through the jungle and unlocked some things related to the BADASS battle system, who's the programmer, really?
The battle programmer and designer is Osamu Hisano, he also did the battle systems in Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss. I felt he had quite a broken approach to 3D Tales battle systems with free-run so it's nice to see he can apparently do better when not working within Tales' linear motion battle system.

Sagitario

Just ordered it last week :D

Datschge said:
The battle programmer and designer is Osamu Hisano, he also did the battle systems in Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss. I felt he had quite a broken approach to 3D Tales battle systems with free-run so it's nice to see he can apparently do better when not working within Tales' linear motion battle system.

And that, my friends, is why I'm mostly interested in this game...
Did he say why he felt that way?

Haunted

Ricker said:
Just got the first one also(love how they introduce those,saved my butt this time) so i`m wondering how this will work as well...I had Cecille,Rastan and LÀrc in my group when it happened but it could of easily been Ryfia and Niko so would it had been another spell with these 3?...

Game is pretty good,I like the whole religion/story portion of the game as well now and they keep introducing new bits here and there(small mid game spoiler) like
The divine race thing
I'm pretty sure it depends on the strength of the Excel Acts. Low rank Excel Acts (like, 3-4 AP) will result in Mystic Fortune, stronger ones (5-7 AP) in Geo Impact.

Apparently, there are also character-dependent Trinity Excel Acts, but I don't know how those are triggered exactly
only have Leslie's Crimson Shoot atm.

If anyone has an idea about how these work, I'd be happy to hear it. :D

edit: also, I just had an enemy (a wolf on resolvent iceberg) use an attack written in katakana. Looks like something slipped through the localisation there. :p

kenji

Am I the only who think the boss battles are too hard?

I have to beat
Clyde
in the Ruins of Hilbert and WTF he destroyed me in 2 turns.. I'm lvl 39~ atm, it's just a matter of raising some levels?

The best weapons I have I got them earlier in the game, and these do have just some bonus, like auto barrier for L'Arc and ATK+5 for L'Arc and Rastan, plus some buff for Ryfia..

Also where can I find some Level 3 gems? Still didn't find anyone...

I don't get it, or I'm weak and I have to upgrade my weapons and magic, or the game is just terribly unbalanced, and force me to spend time grinding for the next boss, then advancing in the story and then grinding again for the other boss and so on..

and oh god, the characters are so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad....... I can't stand Cecille and Niko anymore :(

Ricker

kenji said:
Am I the only who think the boss battles are too hard?

I have to beat
Clyde
in the Ruins of Hilbert and WTF he destroyed me in 2 turns.. I'm lvl 39~ atm, it's just a matter of raising some levels?

The best weapons I have I got them earlier in the game, and these do have just some bonus, like auto barrier for L'Arc and ATK+5 for L'Arc and Rastan, plus some buff for Ryfia..

Also where can I find some Level 3 gems? Still didn't find anyone...

I don't get it, or I'm weak and I have to upgrade my weapons and magic, or the game is just terribly unbalanced, and force me to spend time grinding for the next boss, then advancing in the story and then grinding again for the other boss and so on..

and oh god, the characters are so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad....... I can't stand Cecille and Niko anymore :(

Nope,Boss battles are all over the place,not sure if they tweaked them wrong from the Japanese version or if it`s like that but it just happened to me again in Ebur,the Boss killed 2 of my guys,who where at full HP in one hit on it`s first turn,and left the 2 others barely alive and it went downhill from there...this time,on top of that,the save spot is at the beginning of the dungeon so I basically played 45 minutes for nothing(I can see why they did that for this section but it`s still annoying)....everyone is level 28 so I guess i`ll grind to 30 and see how it goes after...luckily,with the auto battles tactics thing,it`s not that hard to grind,I go adaptive and if that doesn`t clean up,I go attack only on the next turn.

kenji

Ricker said:
Nope,Boss battles are all over the place,not sure if they tweaked them wrong from the Japanese version or if it`s like that but it just happened to me again in Ebur,the Boss killed 2 of my guys,who where at full HP in one hit on it`s first turn,and left the 2 others barely alive and it went downhill from there...this time,on top of that,the save spot is at the beginning of the dungeon so I basically played 45 minutes for nothing(I can see why they did that for this section but it`s still annoying)....everyone is level 28 so I guess i`ll grind to 30 and see how it goes after...luckily,with the auto battles tactics thing,it`s not that hard to grind,I go adaptive and if that doesn`t clean up,I go attack only on the next turn.
is that boss
Gula
?
that boss is easy if you split your characters into different position, doing this the area attacks of the enemy won't be a big problem

spent some time to grind a while and upgrade my magic (found some lvl 3 gems), got some cool excel arts too.. in the end I tried to retry to fight that boss and he killed me again in 2 turns, wow >_>

did somebody already complete it? I'd like to know how much long is the main storyline

Haunted

kenji said:
is that boss
Gula
?
that boss is easy if you split your characters into different position, doing this the area attacks of the enemy won't be a big problem

spent some time to grind a while and upgrade my magic (found some lvl 3 gems), got some cool excel arts too.. in the end I tried to retry to fight that boss and he killed me again in 2 turns, wow >_>

did somebody already complete it? I'd like to know how much long is the main storyline
With
Clyde, you definitely need to get rid of his 3 cronies before their turn comes up, so he's not getting those buffs on the first turn. Best to charge up the Rogress Bar beforehand and hit them with Simmah immediately. Also useful is to give someone the "Dark" gem combination (Fire and Earth I think) to get the Lvl 2 Dispel spell which removes his buffs. He should be hard, but doable at your level.

He is definitely one of the harder (maybe even the hardest) bosses in the game, though.

About game length, I haven't completed it yet, but I'm hearing
60+
hours at the very least.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I just started this bad boy up, and I'm really liking it. It's like Tales, only turn-based and with better music (Mitsuda is awesome)! Story is cliched so far, but that's what I was expecting. :p

kenji

Haunted said:
With
Clyde, you definitely need to get rid of his 3 cronies before their turn comes up, so he's not getting those bonuses. Best to charge up the Rogress Bar and hit him with that first thing. Also useful is to give someone the "Dark" gem combination (Fire and Earth I think) to get the Lvl 2 Dispel spell which removes his buffs.

He is definitely one of the harder bosses in the game, though.

About game length, I haven't completed it yet, but I'm hearing
60+
hours at the very least.
wat,
60+
just for the main storyline? it's a suicide! I hope that at least Cecille or Niko die :lol

as for that boss..
well, I already tried with that.. Simmah on the first turn and kills all the minor soldiers.. Clyde gets minor buffs, but attacks me with a thunder element skill, Voliton if I remember the name well, and does like 2000~4000 damage to everyone

tomorrow I'll try splitting my characters into different position even before launching Simmah :\

ruffles

I beat the game. I clocked in about 60 hours. Pretty long game but it's mostly due to the excessive amount of grinding one was to do beat some of these boss battles. I did a few guild quests and battle arenas too.

The story was
kinda dark actually. Main characters from your party actually die
The ending was
kind of bittersweet with L'Arc having to go to sleep for 500 years. At least Ryfia was there waiting for him. :lol

Haunted

kenji said:
wat,
60+
just for the main storyline? it's a suicide! I hope that at least Cecille or Niko die :lol

as for that boss..
well, I already tried with that.. Simmah on the first turn and kills all the minor soldiers.. Clyde gets minor buffs, but attacks me with a thunder element skill, Voliton if I remember the name well, and does like 2000~4000 damage to everyone

tomorrow I'll try splitting my characters into different position even before launching Simmah :\
Ah, right, that one.
Yeah, that's by far his single most dangerous attack (actually one-shotted my whole party as well the first time around) - he only does it at the very start, and maybe once or twice throughout the whole fight, though. So if you're in a position to survive this, he should be manageable.

And about game length, I guess it's necessary to unlock your weapon gems and complete some guild quests to stand a chance against some of these bosses, so that's inflating the time a bit. But yeah, I'd be surprised if someone completed the game under 50 to 60 hours the first time around. I'm already past that and I'm not done yet. >_>

Ricker

kenji said:
is that boss
Gula
?

Yep that`s the guy...I never really used the `Move`command so i`ll definetly try that,thanks for the tips guys.

Sagitario

Datschge said:
Who he? Me? I just think all 3D Tales battle systems are broken (until Graces finally fixed it) compared to the 2D battle systems.

I was referring to him...
Why do you think they're broken? I haven't played ToG yet...

Datschge

Sagitario said:
I was referring to him...
Why do you think they're broken? I haven't played ToG yet...
This is getting off-topic. In short: (2D) Tales battles systems starting with Eternia are all about speed and tight controls. This is essentially possible without being too overwhelming due to the linear motion battle system (LMBS) making you focus on one targeted enemy at a time. Now Symphonia brought this to 3D, with the huge internal contradiction that players still moved on the linear line to the target while the AI was able to move essentially freely. In Abyss instead of fixing this contradiction they (said Hisano and Go Murai) just added a wholly separate system on the top of LMBS: free run. As a result the 3D battle systems never reached the speed of the 2D counterparts. That is until Graces came and downgraded free run to a rather useless bonus and instead extended LMBS itself with the abilities to not only quickly step back and forward but also sideways around the target, finally bringing 2D speed to 3D.

Sagitario

Oh, I get it. I guess "broken" kind of means different things for different people, I took it in another context...

Thanks for the answer, I've always appreciated the Tales info you give us...

Datschge said:
Wow, nice! And I just found out that are songs composed by Matsuno!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OcB5uXPCsw

Datschge

Sammy Samusu said:
And I just found out that are songs composed by Matsuno!
Do you mean Yasunori Mitsuda? A large part of the soundtrack was created not by him but by two further composers, namely Yuki Harada and Shunsuke Tsuchiya. The official soundtrack has per track composer credits.

Ricker

Yet another Boss that you get trounced the first time you meet him(in the ravine section),if you don`t have the right magic set-up so you can synch a chain attack to do tons of damage,and you can`t know which one before hand...this is staring to get on my nerves,fought the thing for about 20 minutes but I knew it was hopeless,especially with the annoying reconstruct from those crystals and the triple/quadruple attacks the Boss does in row,that do lots of damage...there`s almost always someone dead that you need to waste 2 AP to revive and 2 AP on attack to destroy those crystals...

At least the save point is close this time so i`ll have to switch some Orbs around and party members,otherwise it`s auto battles on lesser mobs till I gain a few levels(currently level 30)...too bad you can`t change/swap members on the fly in combat.

I am currently 6 hours in and i have only fought two bosses, that deathchant guy and the two little girls but i really haven't found them to be that hard as yet.

I fixed
the airship and it's nice being able to choose my next destination, so I went straight to the desert tower.

While the enemies are pretty easy to kill, I found one of that mini-bosses and goddammit! Resistance against all four elements, two wind-crystals, and the pot-thing monster just won't stop using that damn wind-sync magics! T_T

DAMN YOU YELLOW-MONSTER-POT! Now imagine how hard the boss might be. :lol

I'll pick a different dungeon, seriously.

Datschge said:
Do you mean Yasunori Mitsuda?
I did it again... Yes, I usually confuse their names.

About 10 hours in. Just got to the part where
nearly everyone betrayed L'arc and Alf flies away on the Rogress.
If the scene had better written dialogue and voice acting, it could've been REALLY epic. The story really isn't bad but the writing and voice acting totally kills the mood.

Still enjoying the gameplay though.

Ricker

Sammy Samusu said:
DAMN YOU YELLOW-MONSTER-POT! Now imagine how hard the boss might be. :lol

I got caught a few times by ennemies that look like any other of the lesser mob but are Elites or whatever...you can tell by the music change and they give tons of WP...too bad the last one I fought,all my weapons where maxed out...

Finally killed that Ravine Boss,after about 4 tries...on to the next Rogress search.

Top Bottom