• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Call Of Duty's graphics underrated?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
CoD’s graphics are fantastic, especially considering the performance you’re getting with it.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Game needs a modern engine and it's beyond overdue.

They overhauled the IW engine for Modern Warfare 2019 and have been using it for every game since except Treyarch's Black Ops: Cold War in 2020. What in particular do you think needs an update?

S0ULZB0URNE

They overhauled the IW engine for Modern Warfare 2019 and have been using it for every game since except Treyarch's Black Ops: Cold War in 2020. What in particular do you think needs an update?
It's still Q3 engine at heart.
What's to upgrade? Play a multiplayer game and see for yourself.

The single player looks good but different than the mp.

Multiplayer is the most played mode so it matters.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It's still Q3 engine at heart.
What's to upgrade? Play a multiplayer game and see for yourself.

The single player looks good but different than the mp.

Multiplayer is the most played mode so it matters.

The multiplayer looks fine, though? Sure, it's not going to have the same emphasis on carefully directed setpieces and eye candy as the campaign, but that's fine, it's aiming for a different experience. We can quibble about the art direction, but the lighting, textures, visual effects, etc. look great in my opinion. This is on PC with maxed-out settings, though, I'm not sure how the console versions compare.

MW19
95AvbR2.png

Cold War uses an older version of the engine, but it can still be a looker
YImSIU9.jpg

MWII
JP5W1Ru.png

i1A2vW6.png

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

The multiplayer looks fine, though? Sure, it's not going to have the same emphasis on carefully directed setpieces and eye candy as the campaign, but that's fine, it's aiming for a different experience. We can quibble about the art direction, but the lighting, textures, visual effects, etc. seem fine in my opinion.

MW19
95AvbR2.png

Cold War uses an older version of the engine, but it can still be a looker
YImSIU9.jpg

MWII
JP5W1Ru.png

i1A2vW6.png
No it doesn't
Looks the same but higher resolution throughout the years.
Objects in the environment feel like cardboard cut outs or statues....not sure how to explain it.

Explosions and other special effects are comparable to the Xbox Wolfenstein game which also uses this engine.

Single player that I mentioned is on another level and I'm not sure how?

MAX PAYMENT

I do enjoy how good the COD games look nowadays, not just for the visuals but also because of the drama a few years ago when DICE (Battlefield) employees were shitting on COD's graphics.

Very unprofessional stuff and I'm happy COD had the last laugh as Battlefield hurtled into irrelevance.
I dont think I ever saw that. Funny if true though lol.

Eh it looks good. 8/10 imo

If you play the multiplayer and campaign game id say 85/100, but Warzone looks worse.

Warzone mode is full of draw distance limitations, plenty of LOD transitions, buggy distant graphics, stuff popping in and out.

Also, the coloring in the MW engine is off, the green vegetation is too light green and looks distracting in some maps.

BF2042 looks much better in distance, but worse for interiors. All in all BF still looks better.

twilo99

Gold Member
Eh it looks good. 8/10 imo

If you play the multiplayer and campaign game id say 85/100, but Warzone looks worse.

Warzone mode is full of draw distance limitations, plenty of LOD transitions, buggy distant graphics, stuff popping in and out.

Also, the coloring in the MW engine is off, the green vegetation is too light green and looks distracting in some maps.

BF2042 looks much better in distance, but worse for interiors. All in all BF still looks better.

Isn't the warzone map much bigger than anything in BF2042 and they have to account for a bigger player count on the map? Warzone looks fine considering the scale.

twilo99

Gold Member
Yes.

To be honest, CoD is flat out underrated across the board. The game has been milked to oblivion but the mechanics are polished to perfection.

I don't know about perfection.. I'd give that to Quake 3, but there are pretty good, especially in MWIII.

Isn't the warzone map much bigger than anything in BF2042 and they have to account for a bigger player count on the map? Warzone looks fine considering the scale.
Yes, I don't know if it's much bigger, but player wise it 150 vs 128

But for distance I don't really like how they manage their LODs, they use that InstaLOD software some other games use, stuff insta pops in, some other games have smoother animations.

Multiplayer looks amazing though on smaller scale maps

Killer8

I dont think I ever saw that. Funny if true though lol.

Roland Smedberg, DICE video director at the time:

cSSYAPL.png

ned5hTi.png

Randy Evans, creative director of the DICE media team (ie. he makes the trailers):

WIzrVSN.png

They seemed to not be able to decide if it looked ancient or so good it was CG. Julian Manolov, engineer who is now at Ripple Effect aka DICE LA:

DsqG7sE.png

(kinda funny given how much "in-engine" bullshit DICE used in their trailers)

Anyway...

RIP bozos

lmxYTGe.png

MAX PAYMENT

cSSYAPL.png

ned5hTi.png

Randy Evans, creative director of the DICE media team (ie. he makes the trailers):

WIzrVSN.png

They seemed to not be able to decide if it looked ancient or so good it was CG. Julian Manolov, engineer who is now at Ripple Effect aka DICE LA:

DsqG7sE.png

Anyway...

RIP bozos

lmxYTGe.png
Yikes. Lol

Microsoft has said they going to develop COD for Nintendo. Whatever the Switch 2 is, I don't see how that wouldn't hamper graphics for Xbox/PS5/PC

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

cSSYAPL.png

ned5hTi.png

WIzrVSN.png

DsqG7sE.png

Anyway...

RIP bozos

lmxYTGe.png
Game is much better since that review.
What's MW3 review 🤔

Top Bottom