• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any good LCD tvs for PC use, gaming, *and* DVDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoi tsuki

In a nutshell, i'm looking for:

* A display to be used for PC use, gaming (GC primarily), and DVD watching
* Depth no more than a foot
* 17"-23" vertical screen size
* resolution higher than 1280x768 for 20" and higher displays
* 16:9 ratio
* $1500 or less

i've got serious space constraints and need to combine my gaming area with my PC area. This means using one display for all of the above uses. i chose LCD as the display technology because i don't have much depth to work with (a foot at most), and i would like something that doesn't generate as much heat or radiation as CRT. My current setup is a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 900NF, which takes up a lot of space and generates a lot of heat in this small room. i'm running my Cube through an X-Blaster which provides excellent output, but only for progressive scan games.

The main problem with the jump to larger size is that the resolution is the same or similar to that of the smaller ones. This isn't so much an issue with console games or DVDs as it is for PC use. 1280x768 is livable on a 17" 16:9 screen, but at 22 inches i don't think i could deal with that (or do i have a choice?). i don't really care about sound since i have a home theater system, which i'll eventually get smaller speakers for to fit the room i'm in.

i keep hearing how much interpolation sucks for console games, but i don't really have a choice if i go with LCD, and i'm pretty sure a higher end unit will be better in this respect. i'm also not planning on buying for another four to six months, so i'm not exactly pressed for time.

Currently, i'm looking at:

Samsung LT-P1795W (17")
b2c_m_ltp1795.jpg

* HD-Grade 1280 (H) x 768 (V) Pixel Resolution
* Widescreen Aspect Ratio
* 600:1 Contrast Ratio
* 450 cd/m2 Brightness
* NTSC Stereo Tuner Built-In - 181 Channels
* Split Screen & PC Picture-In-Picture
* 170°(H) / 170°(V) Viewing Angle
* 3D Y/C Digital Comb Filter
* Improved Cable Management

Samsung LT-P227W (23")
b2c_m_ltp227.jpg

* HD-Grade 1280 (H) x 720(V) pixel resolution
* Widescreen Aspect Ratio
* 600:1 Contrast Ratio
* 450 cd/m²
* V-Chip System
* NTSC Stereo Tuner Built-In-181 Channels
* Samsung DNIe ™ (Digital Natural Image Engine)
- Detail Enhancer
- Contrast Enhancer
- Motion Optimizer
- Color Optimizer
* PC Picture-In Picture with Split Screen
* 170°H)/170°V) Viewing Angle
* Fast 16ms Response Time
* 3D Y/C Digital Comb Filter
* Improved Cable Management
* Power Adapter Built-In No External 'Brick'

i haven't seen many other brands that offer comparable screen quality at the sizes i'm looking for with a 16:9 ratio. Are there any other options anyone can recommend?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
for the moment, those big screens are usually for domestic use, and I think the highest res is a Sony one at 1366x768, so basically the same as usual 1280x768.

Mine is that res and is fantastic for console games as it has a good scaler in it, so I wouldn't worry about that. I see your point for PC, but maybe you could sit further away?

Don't see any other solution for you at that kind of price point.

Don't know how compatible they are with TVs (you'll definitely need an external tuner), but the Apple cinema displays could be an expensive option.

the 23" widescreen has a resolution of 1920x1200 (full HD!) but is $2k list price.

the 30" is $3200, and has a resolution of 2560x1600 O_O

mrklaw

MrArseFace
philips 30pf9975. Its my main TV. No PC through it except for testing DVD playback.

As long as the response/refresh rate is 16ms it'll be fine for 60Hz update. That is most LCD TVs (as opposed to monitors). Many monitors are 25ms or higher, so actually have a slower refresh rate than LCD 'TVs'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom