• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any legitimate non-FFXI reasons to get the PS2 HDD?

Sho Nuff

Banned
THIS IS NOT A TROLL THREAD.

As the topic line describes -- I have the opportunity to pick one up on the cheap, but I'm not entirely sure what the HDD brings to the table in the PS2 world. Is there any downloadable content, are people actually planning for it, or is it all PR hyperbole from Sony that probably won't surface? It's been quite a while since the HDD's release so I'd be expecting to see games that utilize it be released soon.

It strikes me that the PS2 could use the HDD in interesting ways (moreso than the Xbox, which only allows about 1GB of volatile HDD usage in the utility region).

BTW, I'm not interested in HDloader, I'm talking about legitimate uses only.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You can back your saved games from your memory card to the PS2 HDD, but you won't be able to load them directly from the HDD.

Uhm, yeah. Sony really fucked up with the HDD. 40 GB and it can't do shit, really

You can also use it for Resident Evil Outbreak, which allows you to install the game onto the HD and reduce load times dramatically. Supposedly Socom 2 content coming on the way but I wouldn't hold my breath at this point. GT4 and MGS3 is suppose to support the HD. Other than that, I don't really see any use for the thing

Miburou

If I didn't have an 80GB harddisk lying around, I'd probably get FFXI with the HDD. I'd use it to back up my old mem saves, play FFXI for a while, and try out Outbreak and Outbreak 2, which benefit greatly from the harddisk. And IIRC, you can use HD loader while keeping your FFXI and Outbreak files.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The real question here is - why on Earth would you not want to use HDLoader with the PS2 HDD? Do you have such love for Sony in your heart that you'd feel you are screwing them over with that software (that you can use for perfectly legitimate reasons, btw)?

Wild Arms: Alter Code F is another HDD title.

Sony still has major negative points for touting media support until the peripheral launched though.

Miburou

BTW, regarding Hd loader, I finally got it to work, and I'm quite disappointed. Not only do many games not work, but many of those that do still need to load. Kingdom Hearts and the initial loading of Vice City don't seem to benefit much from it. Onimusha 3, which I'm playing right now (ace game BTW), does benefit, though.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
HDloader allows you to copy your PS2 games to the hard drive and load the games from the hard drive, which can reduce load time and probably extend the life of the PS2 since it isn't loading from a DVD

Throughout PS2's entire life cycle, I think there will be enough HD support to justify the purchase. FFXI is getting cheaper and cheaper to buy these days which makes the HD investment that much easier.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Cheaper? It's only been on sale for like $70 at Fry's and Costco. Even then, $70 for a 40 GB hard drive is a rip off (assuming you're not intending to buy it to play FFXI)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
HDloader allows you to copy your PS2 games to the hard drive and load the games from the hard drive, which can reduce load time and probably extend the life of the PS2 since it isn't loading from a DVD
On top of that, you get to run most of the homebrew software, and Japanese and even PAL imports, on an unmodded machine.

Miburou

BTW, whenever I load a game using HD loader, the reset function stops working, and even just tapping the button causes the PS2 to get turned off, which sucks. Is that normal?

Wario64 said:
Cheaper? It's only been on sale for like $70 at Fry's and Costco. Even then, $70 for a 40 GB hard drive is a rip off (assuming you're not intending to buy it to play FFXI)
Not when an 8M mem card (Sony brand) costs $25.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Miburou said:
BTW, whenever I load a game using HD loader, the reset function stops working, and even just tapping the button causes the PS2 to get turned off, which sucks. Is that normal?

Yes. When the network adapter is used, pressing the reset button shutsdown the PS2. Happens every time whenever I finish a game of Socom 2 online

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The Area 51 game from Midway is supposed to make use of the HDD for downloadable content (Xbox version as well, of course). Beyond that, the few other games people have mentioned and the mythical SOCOM 2 DLC that's supposed available any day now (wink wink) there's much going on if you absolutely must shun HD Loader.

At one point SCEA was talking about using it for ripping CDs and perhaps storing other multimedia content. They've obviously gone very quiet on that count.

Sho Nuff said:
I'm just asking if there are any NON-HDLoader-related uses for the PS2 HDD, that's all. ;)

While there are a few US exceptions (Resident Evil Outbreak, ESPN NFL2K5, SOCOM2(?) ), the majority of the benefits are in Japan only, such as the BB interface and support for the HDD in a number of games (Mostly RPGs..). Games such as Xenosaga, Dark Chronicles, Final Fantasy X, etc.. had HDD saving/installation processes that were removed in the international editions.

shoplifter

kaching said:
At one point SCEA was talking about using it for ripping CDs and perhaps storing other multimedia content. They've obviously gone very quiet on that count.

I've always found it somewhat disturbing that you couldn't rip CDs with the NA HDD.

GigaDrive

Banned
ps2.jpg

linux30.jpg

neptunes

hmmm

Can you surf the net do word processing with your ps2?

If so, I just might use my ps2 as a workstation for school :D

Scott

Games that utilize the HDD:

Out Now
Resident Evil: Outbreak (cache option)
SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (downloadable content*)

Coming Soon
Ambrosia Odyssey (HDD required for online play; uses PlayOnline**)
Final Fantasy XI: Online: Chains of Promathia (HDD required; FFXI required; installs & uses PlayOnline)
Front Mission Online (HDD required; installs & uses PlayOnline)
Gran Turismo IV (unknown)
Nobunaga's Ambition Online (HDD required; installs) (US release rumored)
Resident Evil: Outbreak: File #2 (cache option)
Shadow Hearts: Covenant (cache option) (may not be present in the US release?)
Wild ARMs: Alter Code: F (cache option)

That's about all I know of...

*While they keep promising downloadable content for SOCOM II, and even made some space on the HDD for it, I haven't heard that they've actually released any yet.
**PlayOnline is Square Enix's online service. It's a 1GB program that installs onto your HDD and acts as a hub/dashboard for all of their releases -- features chat, email, cross-game instant messaging, etc. It's included with the FFXI/HDD combo.

Ploid 3.0

Thanks for the fireworks Scott I sent the payment to your mog.

I like the HDD. I no longer need another mem card. Can't wait for socom stuff and GT4.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Technically:

DJBox

The game does require the HD. Not sure how much many people would consider it worth importing, though.

Top Bottom