• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you into playing retro games?

Do you play retro games?

• Yes, I play them regularly

Votes: 197 60.2%
  • Yes, I play them but not very often

Votes: 104 31.8%
  • No, I'm only interested in modern games (7th gen onwards)

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • No, I'm only interested in the most recent releases

Votes: 11 3.4%

• Total voters

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For the sake of discussion, lets assume that retro means 6th gen (PS2) and older.

I'm curious to know about GAF's videogame habits when it comes to retro games.

Do you play them? Do you have any favorites you still revisit from time to time?
Or do you think they are a waste of time having more modern stuff to play? And if so, why?

I personally love them. To me, they feel like a completely different thing when compared to modern games, and it's great to have the option to play both kinds since they provide a welcome change of pace when coming from playing modern stuff. Plus some of them still look great imo.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hell yeah I am. I got a PVM CRT a couple years ago along with a MiSTer and it’s been incredible. I’ve been slowly collecting all of the older consoles I missed back in the day, too. Recently got a PC Duo and Sega Saturn.

I also bought an Analogue Pocket when it came out, and it’s easily become my favorite portable in recent time.

Retro games are the shit.

Last edited:
Started playing the 20 year special of Beyond Good and Evil, last night.
I never finished the game way back in the day.
edit-bought the game on Steam, It requires a Ubi account.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ll also add that I’ve mostly been playing retro games that are brand new to me. There’s so much quality I missed out on, so it’s been really fun exploring that. The TurboGrafx has some real bangers on it.

Nope.
I`ve only got time for a handful of games per year and those are usually the 90+ blockbusters. Everything else has pretty much fallen off my radar these last years and I´ve never felt the urge to play or replay old games anyways because I´m a huge graphics whore.

Last edited:

Schmick

Yes, RetroArch on my Samsung tablet paired with a PS4 Dualshock is a perfect combination.

I had a PS1 but didn't really play anything other than Gran Turismo so I missed out a lot on the other games. I've learnt just how difficult Crash Bandicoot 1 is. Save States has saved me multiple times. I couldn't imagine how stressful it would have been for me as a kid playing that game.

SHA

Obviously for the story, I like them the way they look, I never think for a sec that there's something missing when playing them due to how old these games are, their length, their atmosphere, their story and characters all look perfectly balanced, it can't be done by ordinary people, they knew what they were doing and that's the best part about older games.

reinking

Gold Member
I still have a lot of my old consoles. If things keep going the way they are in the inustry I will be much more into them than I currently am.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I’ll also add that I’ve mostly been playing retro games that are brand new to me. There’s so much quality I missed out on, so it’s been really fun exploring that. The TurboGrafx has some real bangers on it.
Same for me mate! I grew up with Nintendo consoles, so I still have most of the MegaDrive, Saturn, Dreamscast, PS1 and PS2 libraries to explore... think I might be set up for life lol.

I do play older games on Steam Deck because they run great and I don't have the achievements yet.
That thing is great for retro gaming, be it console games or just older PC games.

The moment I learned about Luxtorpeda and how it came bundled with stuff like OpenMW or Arx Libertatis was amazing. Even easier to set up than on a Windows machine.

TintoConCasera

It's not just nostalgia. Sure it helps, but I've played some stuff recently that I've never touched before and some of those are legit great games.

Majora's Mask for example, that one goes without saying, but also stuff like Alien Soldier or Contra Hardcops really surprised me with their quality.

Krathoon

Gold Member
There are some pretty amazing NES games that I never played back in the day.

Stuff like Kick Master and Kabuki Quantum Fighter.

The internet is good about uncovering those hidden gems.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I play retro games almost as much as I play modern games. Favorite era is PS1. Love games such as Alundra, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, FF7 - 9, Vagrant Story, Symphony of the Night, Suikoden 1-2 and many more.

I try to catch up on PS2 as well. I didn't game as much during this era due to a lot of personal issues I had at the time, but now on older I've been rediscovering a lot of great games. PS2 definitely had some bangers.

However I don't like gaming on retro consoles. I'm too bloody convenient nowadays so I do my retro gaming on current gen consoles and emulation on PC.

Rodolink

funny how ps2 is now considered retro xD
but yeah i play them very often, usually i mix them in between modern games like right now after spending 100h in FFVII-REBIRTH I'm playing Manhunt 2 on the Wii and feels so refreshing.
After that I'm gonna play Paper Mario :D then back to a modern game.
Playing retrogames works thanks to nostalgia, makes us feel good 😊

StereoVsn

Heck yeah. Still have PS2 and PS3 hooked up as well as emulation PC in my “game room”. And occasionally will hook up an actual Dreamcast as well.

I use Retrotink 5K for the older consoles for better image quality. Would love to have a CRT but that’s too much hassle.

Plus I play retro games on my Switch, Steam Deck and RG556.

Heck I play retro games more than new games overall.

El Muerto

Gold Member
Yes. I have HTPCs in my rooms with Kodi and Retroarch installed. I use the IAGL Kodi addon which acts as a front end, it downloads roms from the internet archive and launches them in retroarch. It's nice because i can use a controller to browse kodi and launch games, and if i exit a game it brings me back to Kodi.
I also have a RG35xx, Retroid Pocket 2, R36s, and a Powkiddy X55. Rocknix has cloudsync so you can sync your saves between devices.
And i still have all my consoles, i never sell them. Everything from a Magnavox Odyssey 2, Commodore 128, and all the mainstream consoles up to now.

MiguelItUp

I definitely have moments where I'll revisit old favorites for sure. I may not play them to completion, but I'll give them some time to reignite that nostalgic love I had/have for them. It just always feels good to do so IMO.

The only sad part is when it reignites that part of me that's like, "Man, why hasn't this been remade or rebooted?"

Killjoy-NL

I'm only interested in current-gen games.
That also means I don't like current-gen releases with a retro look or feel (which includes turn-based rpgs).

I want progression. If I wanted retro games, I would've stuck playing on PS2.

Also, fuck nostalgia.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I'm only interested in current-gen games.
That also means I don't like current-gen releases with a retro look or feel (which includes turn-based rpgs).

I want progression. If I wanted retro games, I would've stuck playing on PS2.
That's understandable. It's always exciting to try and guess what the next innovations will be.

Sadly, if you ask me, there haven't been many innovations, things are quite stalled even.

Also, fuck nostalgia.
Killjoy-NL

But seriously, it's not nostalgia. As me and others have said, those old games are quite enjoyable still even if you never played them before.

Fbh

Gold Member
I'm interested in playing some older stuff, specially some more "obscure" games like from the Saturn.
But to be honest I spend 99% of my gaming time playing new games, there are just too many new games coming out that interest me.
At most I replay some older JRPG's every now an then.

Top Bottom