• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you into playing retro games?

Do you play retro games?

• Yes, I play them regularly

Votes: 197 60.2%
  • Yes, I play them but not very often

Votes: 104 31.8%
  • No, I'm only interested in modern games (7th gen onwards)

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • No, I'm only interested in the most recent releases

Votes: 11 3.4%

• Total voters

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm actually going to be playing Zelda Link to the Past (SNES version).

Never completed it, in fact I've never gone too far into it. It's finally time...
I'm jealous, it's one of my favorite games.

Have fun!

I can understand this, but there are so many awesome retro experiences to discover.

For example, Street Fighter 2 : Rainbow Edition.
Never got into the world of romhacks, randomizers and the like, seems like there's tons of stuff there to have fun with.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

That's understandable. It's always exciting to try and guess what the next innovations will be.

Sadly, if you ask me, there haven't been many innovations, things are quite stalled even.
Yeah, I suppose you're right.
But it's also in part that if I thought it was worth playing to me, I already would've played it.

I prefer moving on with the times and tbh I only see lots of 'retro-gamers' complain about backlogs.
It's probably why I never really have a backlog.
Killjoy-NL

But seriously, it's not nostalgia. As me and others have said, those old games are quite enjoyable still even if you never played them before.
Fair enough, but I addressed this above.

There's enough to play now as well, but ultimately it's just preference.

Then again, I really hate the look of 'retro' games nowadays.

stn

Not regularly, but only because I have a backlog of games I've never beaten that I want to get to (ex. Bloodborne, Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3, etc...). I'm not bored of retro games though and can play them (and replay them) any time.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

After hammering streets of rage 4, in an ideal world, I'd love the same attention to detail to be lavished upon Double Dragon. I can actually see it in my mind. Dotemu presents...

lmimmfn

I have a pimped out Amiga 1200(black case/keyset, vampire V2, 64Gb storage), Amstrad CPC6128(with monitor), Atari 7800.

I absolutely love retro gaming and using real retro machines and play on them as much as I can. I play MAME games regularly on my PC and Steamdeck via emulation.

Would like a mister at some stage but they're now far too expensive for what they offer, should have bit the bullet and picked on up pre covid.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Oh yeah. I am all into retro. I really like MAME, Analogue Pocket and the 3DS.

It's more fun and relaxing playing older games. I feel like the last few gen have been an endurance marathon. All the popularity and hype surrounding every release makes me dizzy, I quite fucking hate hyperbole. To the point I don't even read reviews anymore.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
What else is there to play? Bloaty AAA stuff that takes twenty minutes to even start and then thinks it’s brilliant gameplay to throw five skill trees at you in the first hour, after a tutorial that wants you to master a control system that maps twenty actions to a dozen buttons, all in the span of five minutes? And rewards you with bloat? Or - on the other end of the spectrum - indies that are so high on their own farts that they think artsy graphics and moody music that always sounds the same can make up entirely for the lack of any compelling gameplay?

Not playing old games is exactly like not reading books or not watching movies from before your time. You’re missing up big time, fellas. Nothing to be smug about it.

Fess

Yes but I wish I did it more often, I have no excuse not to. I have a plugged in Amiga on the slide out keyboard tray for my PC, could just flip a power switch and go at it. C64 is there too. Plus all gaming systems I’ve owned going back to Game & Watch are fairly easily accessed. And there is a retropie arcade cabinet in the living room.

Wooxsvan

Iv been thinking of building a retro cab for years but never took the plunge. id like to do a Pedestal style but would prefer to buy a pre built panel and then just build the pedestal. anyone have experience with this brand? i specifically want 4 player AND track ball capability.

Xtension-Emulator-Edition-Controller-4P-Black-1-1.jpg

Holammer

I play old games often and games with a retro aesthetic. but I do play modern stuff too, I'm not a complete luddite. Lots of No Many's Sky & Hell Divers 2 recently.
Often times I end up playing stuff I played before (like replaying SotN for the umpteenth time), but I try to seek out games I never played back in the days.

Just like film students always watch Citizen Kane, Yojimbo or Casablanca, serious gamers should try some older titles.

IAmRei

For the sake of discussion, lets assume that retro means 6th gen (PS2) and older.

I'm curious to know about GAF's videogame habits when it comes to retro games.

Do you play them? Do you have any favorites you still revisit from time to time?
Or do you think they are a waste of time having more modern stuff to play? And if so, why?

I personally love them. To me, they feel like a completely different thing when compared to modern games, and it's great to have the option to play both kinds since they provide a welcome change of pace when coming from playing modern stuff. Plus some of them still look great imo.
I find history of video games, and exploring retro is one of the way to open the library of unknown video games knowledges.

Sometimes i can explore a lot of informations regarding culture, social, at the times.

i often amazed with the old and unknown games. and my curiosity, is helped by fan translations, i cant thank them enough for their passion, to translate some of great games we normally dont discover it yet.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
There are lots of stretches where I'll play retro games significantly more than modern stuff, or even exclusively for a while. Big fan. It's not that old games are inherently better, it's that the design principles were different than what we have today, and I really like how they used to make 'em.

Yeah, I never stopped playing NES, SNES, Sega Master System or Mega Drive. To me they're not really retro as such, a good game is a good game. I don't see the need to make that distinction and I regularly play games that are new to me from those generations.

It's like asking if people enjoy older movies. I don't care if a movie was made in the 30's, 70's or the 90's or whatever. Do people call them retro movies..? Maybe they do, I have no idea, but a good movie is a good movie regardless of age. I think it's super important to respect history and the evolution of stuff 🙂

And don't get me started about books.

Last edited:

Crayon

Wow great timing.

So we actually managed to get 5 guys together last night with no wives or kids. We love wives and kids, but alone, there was nothing to stop us from regressing into children ourselves. We planned it last week and we agreed on playing many games.

Despite working close by, I would get there last. So the night before I went over and brought a saturn, hdmi converter, and my solid collection of 2-player games.

So when I got there, I couldn't believe what I saw. There was a fold out table in the family room, with a second tv, a snes, a nes, and a pile of games on it. And next to my saturn on the big tv was a fucking 3DO with basically every worthwhile 2P game. Battlesport, Start Control 2, Return Fire.

We were flipping games out left and right as everyone took turns shuffling through this massive combined collection of retro games. The other consoles and games there were more like keepsakes of my friends. I'm the only one you would call a collector. So the saturn stole the show with Elevator Action Returns, Cho Aniki, and Layer Section.

God damn it was magical. Too bad we could only manage it on a work night because it was over all too fast.

MiguelItUp

I like old games and old game design. I wish we would get more new games with old game design.
No kidding. It's SO wild to go back and revisit older games and see how technically advanced they were, especially when compared to their sequels. So many sequels to titles have felt like a step backwards in a variety of ways. Sure, it may look better, but the gameplay mechanics pale in comparison.

Just one example that always stands out to me is looking at AVP2 by Monolith, and then AVP (2010) by Rebellion. Sure, different studios, but even in terms of mechanics and gameplay, so much of it paled in comparison. It just looked better graphically. Hell, Rebellion's AVP from 2000 even did some things better than the 2010 sequel did IMO.

There are so many games out there that are missing features or elements that just make them feel like they're lacking. I just don't get it. Why not make sequels that look at previous games as examples that allow you to make better experiences? It's so odd to me.

StereoVsn

I have a pimped out Amiga 1200(black case/keyset, vampire V2, 64Gb storage), Amstrad CPC6128(with monitor), Atari 7800.

I absolutely love retro gaming and using real retro machines and play on them as much as I can. I play MAME games regularly on my PC and Steamdeck via emulation.

Would like a mister at some stage but they're now far too expensive for what they offer, should have bit the bullet and picked on up pre covid.
There are several clones coming out (and some already out) that are going to drop the price like a rock for Mister.

Looking forward to one made by Taki Udon which should make full Mister kit about $160.

Krathoon

Gold Member
What is great about the Mister is that it can now emulate a Sega Saturn and N64.

So, now you have hardware emulation for those two consoles.

Still, you can also just take a mini pc and emulate everything up to a PS2 and XBox.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
There are so many retro games with complex and fun gameplay that it’s impossible for me to ever run out of games to play. Recently, I played a few hours of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on my Miyoo Mini Plus, and I had a great time. Before that, I finished the first Mario game on my Linux PC. Ship of Harkinian-Zelda OOT was perfect too, I can't even call that retro at this point.

I've played tons of retro games over the years, and there are still plenty of games I plan to play. I can't really get into pre-NES retro games though. NES is my cutoff in this regard. Sega games usually sucks btw.

2MurYML.png
I had an Analogue Pocket with a dock so I can get back where it all starts. Snes, Gameboy...

I like the pure gameplay. And I can play it wherever I want.

This is a screenshot from the AP Display directly done with my Plpixel 6 phone an crop ist to make the scan lines Trinitron subpixels visible.

What a nice piece of tech!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sega games usually sucks btw.
Haha hey, there are many cool games on the Genesis/Mega Drive! I never got into Sonic games but, between all the Treasure games, Contra, Streets of Rage, Shining Force, Phantasy Star and many others, it ended up having quite a nice library of games.

I still prefer the SNES tho.

Top Bottom