• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you into playing retro games?

Do you play retro games?

• Yes, I play them regularly

Votes: 197 60.2%
  • Yes, I play them but not very often

Votes: 104 31.8%
  • No, I'm only interested in modern games (7th gen onwards)

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • No, I'm only interested in the most recent releases

Votes: 11 3.4%

• Total voters

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Earthworm Jim Special Edition, Spider-Man, The Terminator, Lunar Silver Star, Lunar Eternal Blue, Sonic CD, Shining Force CD, The Adventures of Willy Beamish, Panic!, Final Fight

I can go on :messenger_beaming:
Listen Ten Hag GIF by Manchester United

I'm going to need two lives to play all those games.

BlackTron

To add a few more thoughts, even though I like actually old games, "new retro games" usually look like complete dogshit to me. Even that new Castlevania x Metal Slug "tribute game", while looking fun to play, there's just something about the graphics in ALL these games that I can't stand. Don't like the look of "HD 2D" either like Octopath Traveler. The old pixel art with tons of new effects and stuff, and characters looking like cutouts in the environment, I tried to get over it but it just looks like shit to me lol

Bry0

I find myself replaying mechwarrior 3 and half life almost yearly, so yeah. Probably once a month I boot up my old OG Xbox and peruse my library of games. I rarely finish anything but it’s fine to load up the OG version of halo or Burnout or whatever for an hour.

DelireMan7

I love old games.

I replay and play for the first time, old games regularly.

Actually playing Valkyrie Profile 2 Sylmeria on PS2 and I have a blast.

I bought 1 or 2 years ago a PS1 to discover slowly its library.

I love discovering games I have heard speaking about for a long time.

Dorago

I have several retro ports on PS4, Steam, and Switch including the Castlevania Collections, Ms. Pacman, Galaga, Atari 50, and Disney Afternoon Collection.

I also have extensive ROM archives including zips for every cartridge based console, the PC88/98 libraries, all Atari 8 bit computer games, most Final Burn Neo arcade games, and between 10 and 300 games for every disc based console from the PC Engine CD2 to the PS3.

I tend to do one life tries on games I've played a lot or try full playthroughs on games that are new to me.

Last game I did a life on was Dig Dug, and the newest game I'm playing the first time is Final Fantasy II.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Depends. There’s a ton of great arcade beat em ups, shoot em ups, fighting games, and puzzle games left in the past. Just recently I finished Metamorphic Force and that’s never talked about. I got to play The Punisher beat em up. There’s tons of good games released in the past. I do prioritize modern games.

I also don’t get it because there’s a couple hundred new games every month and I’ll buy maybe 2 of them a month? If I buy 2 games then there’s like 80% or more of titles that just don’t interest me.

You can’t replicate some of these classics or obscure titles just because they’re older. The charm and overall design is completely different. I don’t need to play something in Early Access or something that came out with mediocre reviews just because it’s modern. Half the time we criticize games for not doing what X, Y, and Z did when it came out. Plus some modern dialogue and objectives aren’t good. My short answer is both. I pay enough for modern games, but I wouldn’t limit myself to just modern games.

I like them but I don’t play super often.

Unfortunately my nostalgia lies with the PS1/PS2 and a lot of those games do not hold up control wise and it puts me off of actively playing them versus new games.

I am currently playing Boku no Natsuyasumi right now however. Very good.

Crayon

Times have changed and a good game back then is likely to be built with a different outlook as a good game now.

Arcade games in particular. Your beatemups, space shooters, run n guns. Those still come out today, but they almost always have some kind of quasi-rpg systems. Modern ones are also made to ease-in players so they don't bounce right away, and even have saves. Then the player can see more of the game with less dying, instead of having to use the first 1 or 2 levels over and over to get to grips with the game. Players outright freak these days if you ask them to start over from nothing. Especially 10 times.

Old arcade games are designed to fuck up your quarters and they are just different. Not that they are outright better, but if you could compare say the original r-type to r-type delta not even ten years later and see there is a lot of influence from being made as a console game. The player is expected to see more of the game, have a smoother difficulty curve, have some kind of progression, etc.

Diving into retro, you get to play these type of games from a time when the raw components were pretty sophisticated, but were still raw quarter eaters that tried to kill you as soon as you pressed start.

Killjoy-NL

Anti woke is not pathetic considering its simply a backlash to an annoying agenda, nonsensical and discriminatory too. Nice try though.
Pushing back against Woke is a good thing, but people like BlackTron are taking it to the extreme, similar to how Woke acts.

That's what this back and forth is about.

Agnyz

Neo Member
Depends if there’s anything new I want to play. And even if there is, I play alone, mostly single-player games and don’t belong to any gaming communities, so don’t feel any pressure to follow the trends. As a bonus, I pay little to no money, have all post-launch patches already installed and, in the case of PC games, can play it in proper graphics settings.

Is it worth waiting? Well, I’m not waiting for anything. I’m playing other games.

The last game that I played on launch was „Forza Motorsport“. And I wouldn‘t have missed anything if I would have got it now – on the contrary. I would have had an improved experience.

On the other hand, I found old games to be a lot more frustrating than the new ones. Currently, I‘m playing „Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault“, and even after all the patches, it‘s still a mess of a game.

cireza

Gold Member
Indeed! It has Snatcher and, uuuuh...

Any recommendations? Think I have Popful Mail and some shmup with metal music, but not much else. :goog_relieved:
Most of my video-game time is spent on retro-games, especially 8 and 16 bits. Not a big fan of early 3D, and not a fan of interlaced games either (I play on CRT).

Happy to see the SEGA-CD cited : I love this console. This week I was playing Dune on it. Dune is a fantastic example of a game using the a lot of the features of the SEGA-CD to achieve something unique. I know this is a port from PC, but the SEGA-CD version turned out really good. It has many different languages with dubs. Nice videos integrated as the intro and when you travel, which makes for a very chill experience. Story and atmosphere are of course excellent, it is Dune after all.

I highly recommend D&D : Eye of the Beholder. It is a dungeon-RPG that implements Advanced D&D rules. There is a lot of depth to the game, you can create a large variety of characters and progress in many ways, like force opening doors with strength. The game is very challenging, and has some important story choices that matter. Visuals are excellent and sound-design is even better. Music by Yuzo Koshiro is great with techno vibes, a great fit for exploring the vast dungeon. You can hear footsteps and growls of enemies, and it is very well implemented as it tells you how fare they are. This is, again, a game that makes great use of the hardware.

Snatcher is another great pick with excellent sound-design that play to the strengths of the SEGA-CD, a must play.

Lunar, and especially Eternal Blue, are great games. Eternal Blue is quite unbelievable honestly. The videos are absolutely timeless : no trace of artifacts, they are all coded for the hardware and look magnifient (same in Popful Mail by the way). The game is very good too, with a ton of content, excellent pixel-art, a great cast of characters, a touching story, soundtrack by Iwadare is a high note as well with themes that create a strong atmosphere. This is a timeless masterpiece.

Robo Aleste, Bari Arm and Lords of Thunder are my recommended shmups for the console. They all play perfectly well, have great and fun stages, excellent soundtracks. Silpheed is a bit different but it is a must play with the precalculated 3D backgrounds. There is also Keio Flying Squadron that is pretty good.

Fighting games, you have Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown that are ports that retain the original resolution and sprite size from the Neo Geo. They are competent ports. Eternal Champions makes a more complete use of the hardware, but I never really enjoyed the gameplay. Mortal Kombat has a great port too.

I like to list both Taito games : Ninja Warrios and Night Striker. These are favorite of mine, games I replay very regularly.

Core Design deserves a mention as well, as they made a lot of games for SEGA. On the SEGA-CD, I think that Thunderstrike and Soulstar are really worth your time. Thunderstrike is a bit on the easy side once you have understood the gameplay, Soulstar however is hard as nails, but super impressive.

There are two Batman games as well. Returns has super fun vehicle combat, and Batman & Robin is only made of vehicle sections. I really love the later, its visuals are unbelievable, 32 bits territory. It is also a very difficult game, but I recommend giving it a try.

There is a pretty cool Captain Tsubasa game on the Mega-CD too. Played quite a lot of it.

Other games worth noting : Sonic CD, Terminator, both Ecco games, Pitfall (lead dev was on SEGA-CD), Mickey Mania.

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

Lately I've been mostly playing Dreamcast, Soul Reaver to be more precise - and then news leaked about remasters just when I was near completing the game. I mean - it's no big deal since I love DC version.

I love retro games but I wouldn't consider PS2 retro.

It's hard to explain but I think Driver on PS1 was the game that signalled the end of retro and the beginning of modern games. Prior to that most games were inherently binary. The gameplay was tighter and more focussed. Once Driver came out it shifted things to a more open, free and vague type of gaming.

Obviously it wasn't something that completely changed overnight. There were still retro style games coming out after that (Ikaruga, for example) but it signalled a shift in emphasis.

Markio128

Gold Member
I may try the odd retro game just for a nostalgia blast, but it’ll usually be for 10 minutes. I’m generally a ‘been there, done that’ kind of gamer.

However, I do enjoy the occasional retro style shoot-em-up game, like Super Stardust, or Resogun (Couldn’t stop playing until I’d hit the platinum trophy - and still played more after that, which is pretty rare for me).

Come to think of it, I haven’t played a decent arcade style shooter for a good while. Returnal scratched the shooty shooty itch a bit, but that’s about it, and it’s not really arcadish to be fair.

djjinx2

Steam Deck + Batocera on an SD card. I made a 512GB image fully loaded with goodies.

From Mame to Nes to Triforce, Saturn.

Then the SSD is for Windows On Deck for modern games

Can't believe I never used Batocera before to be honest. Way better and less time consuming than most other options.

Last edited:

kubricks

I play them more often than modern AA/AAAs.
I love it when back in the days lots of secret has to be discovered and optional quests/characters can be found in-game, instead of a paid DLCs.

The Vita/3DS duo is the absolute best at this, the form factor allows me to play and complete old RPG where I can't in the past. I can play them in bed and pause it whenever I want, fantastic.
I use them more than my Gaming PC and Steam deck.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I play a lot of Genesis Mini. I hacked it when it came out, and loaded a bunch of extra games on it, but no filler. I only picked games I really wanted to play again like Revenge of Shinobi, Ristar, Bare knuckle 3 translated, Alien Soldier, Batman and Robin, Sonic 3+K. I completed a bunch of those multiple times over the last year. Its incredibly fun to play these games again. I need to wrap up Ristar soon, its underrated.

cireza

Gold Member
I need to wrap up Ristar soon, its underrated.
Completed (again) the game last week on the NSO. You can see how it was an important project in which they put a lot of energy, everything is super well done in this game.

I really wish that SEGA and Nintendo bring more SEGA games to the NSO, on MegaDrive, but also Mega-CD, Master System and Game Gear.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I tried to get into "retro gaming" a year ago but didn't have much luck. Many of the games weren't as good as I remembered. I enjoyed maybe a quarter of them, and those did feel like a breath of fresh air, but there wasn't enough to sustain me. It also felt more isolating. With modern games, you have other people to share impressions with, and there is some discussion to be had. Not so with old games. I missed the modern graphics, too. Still, there was a simplicity and straightforwardness to the games back then. I liked that.

Granted, my version of "retro gaming" was very limited. I just played games from the original Xbox and 360 era (the latter doesn't count as retro, per the thread definition). I didn't delve into the PS1 or PS2 catalog, not to mention Sega or Nintendo. I started my gaming career with Xbox, so that's where my mind goes when I think about playing older games. I know there is a lot to explore in the other consoles, though. Maybe I'll poke around them one day.

Definitely. There's just a lot of games that I've missed throughout the years.

And having Linux or Android-based handhelds makes chipping away at them during downtime a much easier way to play them than it was back in the day.

SmokedMeat

Gamerâ„¢
I just recently purchased Pac Man Museum. I love playing the arcade classics I grew up with.

But when we’re talking retro, I think it needs to be said that classic arcade games have stood the test of time better than story based games.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Depends. Gamefeel and QOL have come a long way in some genres. A lot of early 3D games feel clunky to play, like the controls are in your way.

For other genres, only the the visuals have improved. In fact, in some cases gameplay has actually degraded (or been "streamlined" as the 360-era buzzword went) to the point that older titles had more depth and were more engaging, awkward controls notwithstanding.

Some games are just timeless though. For example, I'll never ask for a Chrono Trigger remake because I think everything, right down to the visuals, suits the game perfectly as-is. And that's not nostalgia talking. I never had an SNES, and I didn't play that game until the 360 era. It's just kind of perfect.

All this to say, I enjoy older games, but I'm selective about it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I play a mixture of retro older gen games

Then modern retro inspired or the remakes they do boomer shooters or Quake 64 remaster.

I think the newest game I own is Super Mario wonder and Metroid Dread

Last edited:

Bond007

Generally no.
I do like to go back to games i had fond memories of though. But "into" retro gaming- no.

Love them. Some of my favorites. I spend at least 1/4 of my gaming life on retro games and systems/emulators.

1. Thief The dark project, and Thief 2 the metal age - my favorites, also if you love these games and want a modern take, download the free "the dark mod" It has 100s of fan made missions and full games.
2. Heroes of Might and Magic 3. timeless classic.
3. Baldurs gate / torment / icewind dale. Masterpiece classics.
4. Civilization 3 and 4 (yeah 1 is too old but these two are the sweet spot between modern and classic)
5. Castlevania 1, Rondo and SOTN, plus the GBA games.
6. Mega Man Legends, we don't get new ones , the 3 we have from ps1 is all we have.
7. Might and Magic 4/5(world of xeen) and MM6, the greatest of them all
8. Ultima Underworld- A timeless classic and the real start of 3D perspective for games.
9. SMB and Zelda games (all of them)
10. DQ and FF games
11. Suikoden games ( all retro at this point as Konmai sucks anymore).
12. Gothic 1 and 2 (amazing rpgs, with depth)
13. Wizardry 8 - best dungeon crawler from legendary series.
14. Ultima 7 and the Gold box games. for when I want to relive my 1980s -early 90s youth.
15. TG16 Devils Crush and Alien Crush - amazing video pinball, too this day, not really beat for that style of video pinball.
16. Vagrant Story - Amazing one of a kind rpg, was the pinnacle of ps1, imo.
17. Road Rash series -- no where else could you smash bikers off the road, steel their weaposn and beat up the cops, all while blasting a great soundtrak. Series was great on Genesis and RR3d was amazing on ps1
18. Bushido Blade - No other game like it wish we had something similar today.
19. Simpsons hit and run - GTA 3 as a simpsons game. Character switching and humor amazing even today! Play it on steam deck, and ps2.
20. Splinter Cell - I own them all on xbox, pc, ps3 etc.. even two seperate copies of double agent as they were different games.

I could go on and on as there are countless amazing games on all the systems. It's why I own a SNES mini, Genesis Mini, TG16 mini, PSClasssic and have modded them all except tg16 (as no one released a hack, so have to play the missing games on the genesis mini)
Swith has a lot of classic games too, the Sega Ages and genesis collection, Castlevania collection, GBA CV games, metal slug, mega man legacy, etc... Still waiting on mega man legends anything, and Suikoden ports/remaster.

The great thing about PC gaming is there is no "generations" i can play games from 1980s and not have problems. Yet I can't play games from a decade ago sitting on my shelf (ps3 games) on my ps5.

How do I have the time to play these...well I don't get much time for gaming but that is the thing, when you don't play online multiplayer, gaas and modern woke shit, you look for stuff you missed or never finished, or want to play again.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

90% retro games for me - just a tiny bit of modern.
There's only a handful I modern games I even care about.

Ive spent the past 10 years amassing upscalers, everdrives, odes, and modern accessories for my old consoles that ive owned when they came out.
I prefer playing on original hardware.
Everything from NES, SNES, N64, Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, PC Engine, Saturn, Dreamcast, to PS2, Wii, Gamecube, OG Xbox.

All the fan-made translations and controls/gameplay fixes added to old games playable on original hardware is simply astounding to me. Hard to believe its possible.

I have access to so much stuff that I couldn't play it all in 3 lifetimes.
So I just pick my spots and play what im in the mood for. Both discovering 'new' stuff and returning to old favorites.

My retro setup is literally a dream come true.
These days Ive been playing videogames less and less. But my setup is always there ready to use - if I get the itch.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
As much as I love the idea of playing something retro from the ps1 and ps2 days, I quickly get tired of struggling with ancient control schemes, made when devs were still trying to figure out how to use analog sticks.

90% retro games for me - just a tiny bit of modern.
There's only a handful I modern games I even care about.

Ive spent the past 10 years amassing upscalers, everdrives, odes, and modern accessories for old consoles.
I prefer playing on original hardware.
Everything from NES, SNES, N64, Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, PC Engine, Saturn, Dreamcast, to PS2, Wii, Gamecube, OG Xbox.

All the fan-made translations and controls/gameplay fixes added to old games playable on original hardware is simply astounding to me. Hard to believe its possible.

I have access to so much stuff that I couldn't play it all in 3 lifetimes.
So I just pick my spots and play what im in the mood for. Both discovering 'new' stuff and returning to old favorites.

My retro setup is literally a dream come true.
These days Ive been playing videogames less and less. But my setup is always there ready to use - if I get the itch.
There is something to playing fan translated roms that never made it out of Japan. I remember fondly playing snes and gba fire emblem games, brandish, and Tg16/cd games on my psp 15 or so years ago.

Must be expensive buying all original equipment. Sucks as I had most of the old consoles at one time. I either sold them for scratch or they were stolen from my apartment years ago. All gone. Thankfully emulation is amazing today and the hacked mini consoles are amazing (while they are still affordable in the used market).

Naked Lunch

There is something to playing fan translated roms that never made it out of Japan. I remember fondly playing snes and gba fire emblem games, brandish, and Tg16/cd games on my psp 15 or so years ago.

Must be expensive buying all original equipment. Sucks as I had most of the old consoles at one time. I either sold them for scratch or they were stolen from my apartment years ago. All gone. Thankfully emulation is amazing today and the hacked mini consoles are amazing (while they are still affordable in the used market).
You know - for translations - the fan-mades sometimes end up being better translations than the officially released one. Front Mission 1 is one example. The fanmade one seemed of a higher quality from my memory. I know recently, theres been some major translation work to things like Final Fantasy 4 and 6 - entire teams of people curating all the official released products along with re-translating sections.

Bummer about your old consoles. My setup is all the consoles ive owned since a kid - just spent time cleaning them up. I have also been given old consoles by relatives who no longer wanted them sitting around in storage - so they gave them to me knowing I would put them to use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom