• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ariel cast in live action Little Mermaid Movie

AfricanKing

Remember how people reacted to this? The movie is still doing good at the box office.
bB78Jk7.jpg

I guess if a black guy can play a blue genie without people complaining, this is the natural next logical step for disney. Until people stop paying to see these new inclusion, disney will continue pushing the boundaries.

The good thing is it will only be a matter of time before white people begin to realize that hollywood no represents them or their interest and tune out. Erasing and rewriting history, minority overrepresentation, and recasting the anatagonist and protaganist in their tradition roles can go too far until people get fed up.

We see it in videogames, with the constant push for females representation and the core gamers tuning out.

And who exactly should play a Blue Genie

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Here's what i don't understand. Why not keep the look? Why change? What's the justification? You change something because you want to make it better or because there was something wrong first. They have an established character and they felt they should change her race. I simply don't understand, why change the race? What was wrong with a white Ariel in the first place?
Why change? Why make it live action? Why do anything? Who cares?

I reject your premise that when constructing a remake of a previous fictional work, that the default intention is to keep everything the same. You're changing stuff by nature of it being a remake.

I also reject your premise that "You change something because you want to make it better or because there was something wrong first". People change stuff for all kinds of reasons, not just to fix things.
What was wrong with a white Ariel in the first place?
Nothing's wrong with white Ariel. Just like nothing's wrong with black Ariel.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So a woman with skin as dark as chocolate would be a good mermaid? Lmao ok dude. Your logic is shit anyway.
Sure. Mermaids are entirely fictional. They can be anything the artist wants them to be. I'd argue that mermaids having to be white is shit logic. It's not based on anything.

Are you really saying somebody French or European has to be white? Belle & Cinderella could've been both any skin color and it would've made sense.

No, I'm saying that Ariel doesn't have to be white.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sure. Mermaids are entirely fictional. They can be anything the artist wants them to be. I'd argue that mermaids having to be white is shit logic. It's not based on anything.

No, I'm saying that Ariel doesn't have to be white.
I think what said chap was saying was that based on the fairy tail it is based on
she was portrayed as the caucasian sort. You do know it is based on a fairy tail written by some Dane right?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
And who exactly should play a Blue Genie
Unrelated but I sorta noticed your avatar.

4s7ywaimlre11.jpg

otcc4n08mre11.png

s87w3tfamre11.png

I think is cool you are ok with white dudes turning black with spray tans.

You do know that artists have a thing called artistic license and aren't obligated to keep anything exactly the same, especially for non-human characters that have no basis in reality?
So you are aware of the fairy tail it is based on then and how shitty disney was for making the original based of it? Ok good.

Dacon

Banned
>mulan is asian
>belle is white
>jasmine is brown
>cinderella is white
>mowgli is a brown kid
>the only redhead is now a black woman
Disney live action remakes are all shit but still. I can't be the only one seeing this.

There's been this weird fucking trend of changing the race of red headed characters lately.

Unrelated but I sorta noticed your avatar.

otcc4n08mre11.png

s87w3tfamre11.png

I think is cool you are ok with white dudes turning black with spray tans.

So you are aware of the fairy tail it is based on then and how shitty disney was for making the original based of it? Ok good.

Isn't Darkshine asian

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
disney execs aint artists bro
The director is. The cinematographer is. The writers are.

Technically, even talentless hack executives are, by nature of being part of the process of creation of said art.

Do we even know that this casting choice was a unilateral executive level decision?

The R&B singer has been tapped to play Ariel in Disney’s next live-action adaptation of “The Little Mermaid.” Although director Rob Marshall has spent the last couple of months meeting with talent, insiders say Bailey has been a clear front runner from the beginning.

“After an extensive search, it was abundantly clear that Halle possesses that rare combination of spirit, heart, youth, innocence, and substance — plus a glorious singing voice — all intrinsic qualities necessary to play this iconic role,” Marshall said in a statement.

sol_bad

People saying that Disney should make more animated films, are you forgetting they still make at least 1 film a year?

Tangled
Winnie the Pooh
Wreck it Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Zootopia
Moana
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Frozen 2

All good films except Ralph 2. Frozen 2 is yet to be seen.

Given the amount of times characters have been white washed, can you point to an equel, or even a handful of "black washed" characters?

Come on people. Use the same train of thought when minorities complain about white washing and your usual response.

It's not that hard to think of some, of the top of my head we have Iris West and Wally West and Jimmy Olsen in live tv show adaptation, Deadshot, Johnny Storm in that terrible latest FF movie, Heimdall in Marvel movies, also Nick Fury in said series. Oh and Kingpin in Daredevil. It's not like it's some rare occurrence and it's been especially prevalent in the superhero universe. Now, it's either all okay, blackwashing/whitewashing fictional characters, or none of it is. So people need to decide on a principle here.
Also, a lot of "white washing" accusations around the Mediterranean sea and middle east tend to be bad if you look at them historically. Usually Americans have a terrible understanding of ethnicity in a European and Middle Eastern context. Things are a bit more complicated than you think, especially in regards to the variations in color of skin, hair and eyes.

Oh, and remembered another example:

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
Everybody’s talking about the casting choice, but nobody’s talking about what an absolutely fucking awful decision it is to make a live-action The Little Mermaid.

The other live-actions have been shite. They have less songs (and wasn’t the Mulan one confirmed to have no musical numbers at all?) and have visual limitations that a cartoon does not. The story of The Little Mermaid isn’t exactly the most compelling thing in the world. The parts everybody remembers are the music and the animation. Why would they make a version where there’s so much less of both?

I mean, I know the reason. It makes them money. But it sucks to see them bastardize works of art like this.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
For real. I just don’t understand how he hasn’t learned his lesson by now.

Nobody_Important is really out here acting like that tattletale kid from Recess.

probably looks like him too.
VooVuAn.jpg
I'm not going to apologize for being offended by offensive things. And if something breaks the rules then I am going to report it. That's the entire point of having rules. So that they are followed.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I would say you're kinda wrong here. The movie itself is clearly placed in a western European country or pseudo-western European country. Just like Cinderella. The fairy tale also has signs of being set somewhere along the southern/southwestern European coast or around the Mediterranean sea. The same thing happens in Aladdin, where you technically have various elements from a hyper compartmentalized fictional country carrying elements from the Middle East, Saudi Arabia, India and some of the countries in the Mediterranean. Belle and Mulan is definitely clearly, explicitly set in France and China last time I checked.

Now, regarding Ariel, we already have a design showing her as white skinned and redheaded, that shouldn't be up to dispute and this is just a live action adaptation of a Disney adaptation. So Disney has by far now established the setting as a European-esque country and it has also clearly established how the characters look. Now to use the original fairy tale as a basis:

"[...]at hendes Fiskehale var borte, og at hun havde de nydeligste smaae, hvide Been, nogen lille Pige kunde have, men hun var ganske nøgen, derfor svøbte hun sig ind i sit store, lange Haar. Prindsen spurgte, hvem hun var, og hvorledes hun var kommet her, og hun saae mildt og dog saa bedrøvet paa ham med sine mørkeblaae Øine, tale kunde hun jo ikke [...]" (hvide Been = white legs, mørkeblaae Øine = dark blue eyes)

"[...] deilig lille Havfrue stod nedenfor og rakte sine hvide Hænder op imod Kjølen. [...]" (hvide Hænder = white hands)

"[...] da hævede den lille Havfrue sine smukke hvide Arme [...]" (hvide Arme = white arms)

Honestly, there are far more justifications for changing up the prince then there's for changing up Ariel. The prince was described as having dark eyes and black hair. I imagine he was intended as a spanish prince or from at least somewhere near the Mediterranean sea. There are numerous signs and there's too many actual churches and christian symbolism in the story to imagine it's some other place than a place like our world, but where our myths are real. It's some hyper compartmentalized version of western coast of Europe in the Disney movie and it's some hyper compartmentalized southwestern/southern Europe in the book.
Historical settings based on historical humans. This would apply to things like how the Prince looks, or the sailors, or the townsfolk, or any of the other humans.

Ariel is not a human.

I have yet to see a live action Disney remake that was good. Not just good compared to their animated counterpart. Good at all.

Also can you cast anyone other than white or black people as mains?

Reactions: 888

Whitesnake

Banned
I'm not going to apologize for being offended by offensive things. And if something breaks the rules then I am going to report it. That's the entire point of having rules. So that they are followed.

What specific rule was broken?

Where?

Why do you take it upon yourself to whine to the mods when, if the behavior is actually a problem, either the mods will catch on or somebody else will report it?

Why do you keep bitching to the mods when you got your reporting privileges revoked for this same behavior?

Just because someone made a joke that you personally find distasteful doesn’t mean they actually did anything wrong. Everyone else thought it was funny, nobody genuinely thought he was a racist except for your cro magnon ass. Get over yourself.

Last edited:
It is a bastardization of a bastardization to be exact :)
As I said, it's a children's movie. So the children bugging their parents to go see this movie will see it and not realize Ariel was white in the original Disney cartoon. Not sure how people who overreact to this news are any different than those they poke fun at on Twitter.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
As I said, it's a children's movie. So the children bugging their parents to go see this movie will see it and not realize Ariel was white in the original Disney cartoon. Not sure how people who overreact to this news are any different than those they poke fun at on Twitter.
Kids know who Ariel is. She's an established character that's everywhere along with all the other disney princesses. These live action remakes are for dumbass millenials anyway.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
What specific rule was broken?

Where?

Why do you take it upon yourself to whine to the mods when, if the behavior is actually a problem, either the mods will catch on or somebody else will report it?

Why do you keep bitching to the mods when you got your reporting privileges revoked for this same behavior?

Just because someone made a joke that you personally find distasteful doesn’t mean they actually did anything wrong. Everyone else thought it was funny, nobody genuinely thought he was a racist except for your cro magnon ass. Get over yourself.
Referring to a black person as the N-word with a hard r at the end is generally frowned upon by most normal people and I was under the impression that Gaf didn't allow it. Maybe I was wrong.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Wait who said Golden Experience Requiem here and yes it isn't allowed even in pic/meme form.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Referring to a black person as the N-word with a hard r at the end is generally frowned upon by most normal people and I was under the impression that Gaf didn't allow it. Maybe I was wrong.
To be fair, the butt of the joke is a hypothetical idiot racist writer at Disney. It was also crafted in a way to imply the word without explicitly writing it out, while adding social commentary.

Off the top of my head, the most relevant related example would be the "naggers" Wheel of Fortune joke that South Park did.

Kids know who Ariel is. She's an established character that's everywhere along with all the other disney princesses. These live action remakes are for dumbass millenials anyway.
They will probably still dye her hair red for the movie.

Out of curiosity, which actress do you think they should have cast for the role of Ariel?

Last edited:

brap

Banned
They will probably still dye her hair red for the movie.

Out of curiosity, who do you think they should have cast for the role of Ariel?
Bella Thorne. But seriously just a white woman with red hair. Dye it or have it natural. Or any woman with light skin and red hair.

Ol'Scratch

If they had left it to just her being Arial I MAY have been able to take it, but now I forsee R&B versions of all of the classic songs which just thinking about makes my brain bleed. I really think that they lost the script and instead of even trying balance they just went way off the rails. The rest of the casting just buried it.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Yo da seaweed iz always greener
In somebody else's lake
You dream 'boutgoing up dere
But dat be uh big mistake
Just peep at da world around you
Right here on da ocean floor
Such fly things surround you
What mo' iz you lookin' fo'?
Under da sea
Under da sea
Darling it's bettah
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on da shore dey werk all day
Out in da sun dey slave away
While we's devotin'
Full tyme ta floatin'
Under da sea sho 'nuff!

Yo Down here all da fish iz happy
As off through da waves dey roll
da fish on da land ain't happy
dey sad 'cause dey in they bowl
But fish in da bowl iz lucky
dey in fo' uh worser fate
One day when da boss git hungry
Guess who's gon' be on da plate?
Under da sea
Under da sea
Nobody beat us
Fry us an' eat us
In fricassee
we's what da land folks loves ta cook
Under da sea we's off da hook
we's gots nahh troubles
Life iz da bubbles
Under da sea (Under da sea)
Since life iz sweet here
we's gots da beat here
Naturally (Naturally)
Even da sturgeon an' da ray
dey git da urge 'n' start ta play
we's gots da spirit
You gots ta hear it
Under da sea
da newt play da flute
da carp play da harp
da plaice play da bass
an' dey soundin' sharp
da bass play da brass
da chub play da tub
da fluke iz da duke o' soul
(Yeah)
da ray he can play
da lings on da strings
da trout rockin' out
da blackfish she sings
da smelt an' da sprat
dey know where it's at
An' awww dat blowfish blow
Yeah, under da sea (Under da sea)
When da sardine
Begin da beguine
It's rap ta me (It's rap ta me)
What do dey got? uh lot o' sand
we's gots uh hot crustacean gang
Each little clam here
Know how ta jam here
Under da sea
Each little slug here
Cuttin' uh rug here
Under da sea
Each little snail here
Know how ta wail here
dat's why it's hotter
Under da water
Ya we's in luck here
Down in da muck here
Under da sea with muh beeotch

Teletraan1

Banned
Make some new shit if you want to be inclusive. Tokenizing a character is offensive. Here is my favorite take on this practice.

Historical settings based on historical humans. This would apply to things like how the Prince looks, or the sailors, or the townsfolk, or any of the other humans.

Ariel is not a human.

Most of the Disney stories are terrible as historical showcases often being a mishmash of elements, more so they have no basis in historical humans, they're deformed and not proportioned like us. That's without considering the fact that for the historical people, mermaids were a phenomenon a lot of people believed in and we have artwork of them in that context, you can look it up if you want, most of what I found showed white skin. That's of course because it reflected our geography, not that mermaids as a concept can't be black. That was what the mermaids were based upon. Heck it's even more a non argument, because historical humans could also have different skin colors and most Disney places are vague general places. Mowgli could be a "white" child, nothing impossible about that. Aladdin and Jasmine could've been "white" as well, nothing impossible about that. They're after all not real people. Unless you base it on an actual historical person, then it's hard to define the skin color of someone and even then there's disputes.
Mermaids aren't real, but neither is Jasmine. There never was an Agrabah, the architecture doesn't make any sense and is more indian, the original fairy tale is from a different setting. It's based on a lot of things from the real world, but it's a mishmash of them and so is the mermaid, it's a mishmash of what we considered real people and the tail of a fish, it's a compound. A lot of people living in the wide area that Aladdin hyper compartmentalized had white skin, especially being of higher social standing. Could you tell me the difference between an Iranian and a Greek person? Why was Aladdin kept more in line with its Disney animated movie and not The Little Mermaid?

What we do know however, which makes your weird argument pointless and it's just using history as a convenience tool ("well you get leeway because you're based on our humans, [but kinda not and historically problematic], but historical perceptions of mythology based on the shape of a real human and a real fish? get outta here), is that Ariel is a human at a point in the story and she is white in the source material and she's white in Disney's adaptation. In the world of the Little Mermaid, Ariel was white, she was based on real historical perceptions of mermaids (the bad or good kind depending on if you're an assman or boobman/faceman). As I said, there was a much better case for turning the Prince black, than Ariel white. The Prince is kept purposely vague in the fairy tale and although it seems like he has white skin, due to other descriptions, it's not something that's blatantly said and gives leeway.

Sure, it's fiction, we can turn anyone the color we want. But a wise person would understand that people generally prefer to keep character somewhat in line with what the original material or historical material. If they don't care, then they shouldn't care whichever way it goes and get used to their characters lacking identity if constant dice rolls are what's going on. As a historian the understanding of the power of identity makes me rather prefer we keep things as they were intended to be, rather than trying to mindlessly appear colorblind. "Any character that's not based on clearly historical humans can be any color, from any adaptation to the next".

No one's dying of this happening, other than the brand of the Little Mermaid, but it's certainly not a good show to suddenly go out of way and not cast according to their own animated movies and more so against the source material. I will at least bookmark this thread and bring it up next time there's any "xwashing" controversy.

Top Bottom