• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona man, 26, charged with bringing loaded handgun into CN Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranster

Banned
A 26-year-old Arizona man has been charged with allegedly bringing a loaded handgun into the CN Tower on Friday afternoon, Toronto police said.
Security officers notified police after a gun was found in a backpack during a routine metal detector screening around 3 p.m., Toronto police Const. David Hopkinson told CP24. There’s no evidence so far that suggests the man intended to carry out a shooting at the tower, he added.

A 26-year-old American man is facing three charges for allegedly bringing a loaded handgun into the CN Tower on Friday. (file photo)
"He was not targeting somebody," Hopkinson said. "This may have been a simple mistake of what our laws are compared to what the American laws are."
The tourist told police he brought the firearm with him through customs and security at Pearson International Airport last week.
While Hopkinson said that’s possible, investigators have not verified how the gun was transported into the country. It’s also not clear where the gun came from.
Although police are working under the assumption the accused simply didn't know he couldn't have a gun, Torontonians say he should have known better.

"If someone comes into a different country, they should at the very least, brush up on basic laws that they should be following," Maxwell Chan told CTV Toronto.
Ben Traore shares this view.
"The U.S. is different from Canada and if you come into a country where generally a gun is forbidden everywhere, you should know better before you get into a public centre like the CN Tower," he said.

But this isn't common knowledge for everyone.

http://www.cp24.com/news/arizona-man-26-charged-with-bringing-loaded-handgun-into-cn-tower-1.3383339

Seriously, keep your guns out of our country please.

Volimar

Alternate G-A-F game fail?

Anyway, how do you take a gun abroad and not look into the law? Every place isn't America.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Huh. Next thing you'll be telling me I can't take kilos of heroin to Singapore. Thanks EU. You commies.

Why would anyone feel the need to walk around with a loaded gun in Canada? How brave and powerful do you have to be?

TranslatedTFY

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Why would anyone feel the need to walk around with a loaded gun in Canada? How cowardly and paranoid do you have to be?

Speaking of cowardly and paranoid, the guy losing his shit over being asked "Hey, have you been to the Stampede yet?" is a classic.

soultron

Banned
Yeah, you should probably brush up on gun laws in a foreign country if you're visiting. Seems like an irresponsible gun owner to me.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Don't gun permits not even persist across states lines? I don't understand how anyone could think it's international. It's not like a license to drive.

TaterTots

Banned

TaterTots

Banned
Don't gun permits not even persist across states lines? I don't understand how anyone could think it's international. It's not like a license to drive.

People that do not educate themselves. I do not have a carry permit, but no way in hell am I leaving the country with it without knowing the rules in place.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Just waiting for the Americans to start saying shit like, "Our freedom! Fucking Canadian Commies!!"

WedgeX

Banned

Anyway, how do you take a gun abroad and not look into the law? Every place isn't America.

They don't even look into the laws in America! New staffers on Capitol Hill will bring guns into the US Capitol Building or Congressional offices all the time. And then wonder why they end up getting arrested.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I 100% agree as an American. We can't just do as we please. However, as a gun owner, I'll even admit shit is getting reckless over here. I'm referring to this article.

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/01/new-bill-congress-states-concealed-constitutional-carry-reciprocity/

Ignoring individual state laws is just as gross imo.

People that do not educate themselves. I do not have a carry permit, but no way in hell am I leaving the country with it without knowing the rules in place.

Crazy. If you get a permit do they not explicitly tell you carrying your gun across state lines may result in a felony? I'd think people would be wary of that. And also taking guns on a plane... to other countries.

Ya know, maybe it was one of those big backpacks and the gun was in an interior compartment and he just forgot about it. I know people that have camp knives and stuff in their bags and have accidentally carried them onto planes.

Madness

Why was he was able to bring it in through the airport in his backpack, easily on a flight, loaded and take it perhaps one of the most touristy buildings in Canada. Did he really think he was allowed to as well? Look, we have shootings in Canada, but we don't have American fear and paranoia or american gun culture. The majority of shootings are police on criminal or criminal on criminal. Why? Because we restrict the shit out of handguns and firearms. Still not as worse as the Calgary stampede American guy who complained because he feared for his life at a park some guys asked if he was visiting the Stampede.

Cmagus

I 100% agree as an American. We can't just do as we please. However, as a gun owner, I'll even admit shit is getting reckless over here. I'm referring to this article.

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/01/new-bill-congress-states-concealed-constitutional-carry-reciprocity/

Ignoring individual state laws is just as gross imo.

It's strange looking at it from the outside because while guns may seem normal to many in the US so many people here in Canada or at least those who I know think it's out of hand and in some cases just plain crazy. Not to say there isn't guns here in Canada but the idea of so many people just walking around with guns is kind of scary and all it takes is one person to lose their temper or something, it's crazy.

L Thammy

While in the vicinity of the Eaton Centre, I once accidentally overheard a conversation wherein someone talked about their friend's boyfriend coming over from Detroit. Apparently he didn't feel comfortable traveling without his gun, so she asked her to hide it for him. It was discovered through a body search.

cameron

Why would anyone feel the need to walk around with a loaded gun in Canada? How cowardly and paranoid do you have to be?

A goofy classic from 2012, CTV News: "Michigan cop wishes he could carry gun in Calgary park"
CALGARY -- An off-duty Michigan police officer's public lament about not being able to carry a handgun in a Calgary park has him taking cyber fire from both sides of the border.

Walt Wawra of Kalamazoo, Mich., wrote a letter to the Calgary Herald this week complaining about a recent daylight encounter he and his wife had while visiting Nose Hill Park, a vast expanse of hilly grassland on the city's north side.

Wawra says the two men asked twice in a "very aggressive tone" whether the couple had been to the Calgary Stampede yet. They were "disrespectful" and had a "menacing manner," he recalls.

He says he ignored the two men at first, but when they moved closer he responded: "Gentlemen, I have no need to talk with you. Goodbye."

Everyone walked away peacefully. But in his letter to the editor, Wawra laments that a man should have the right to protect himself when he needs to and says it felt strange not to be able to carry his handgun off duty.

"I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone," Wawra writes.

"Would we not expect a uniformed officer to pull his or her weapon to intercede in a life-or-death encounter to protect self, or another? Why then should the expectation be lower for a citizen of Canada or a visitor? Wait, I know -- it's because in Canada, only the criminals and the police carry handguns."

dc3k

So I guess security at whatever airport he left from didn't check properly? Most handguns are prohibited on checked baggage in Canada. I don't remember ever going through security again when flying into Pearson from the US, but I assumed they would scan checked bags at least. wtf.

I hope they throw the book at this idiot. Make him an example so that the next person which decides to bring guns to our country will think twice about not adhering to our laws. Or even better, scare them into leaving their weapons at home.

Breads

Banned

It goes beyond that though. Every state in the US has different gun laws and so even if you're passing state lines you should know what laws are as conducting yourself in a manner that is legal in one state can get you arrested or worse another.

This guy just sucks all around.

TaterTots

Banned
Crazy. If you get a permit do they not explicitly tell you carrying your gun across state lines may result in a felony? I'd think people would be wary of that. And also taking guns on a plane... to other countries.

Ya know, maybe it was one of those big backpacks and the gun was in an interior compartment and he just forgot about it. I know people that have camp knives and stuff in their bags and have accidentally carried them onto planes.

Each state has their own laws. A lot of them require to you break down your firearm and keep your ammunition separate if you're traveling through. However, if the law passes that you can carry in any state because you have a permit for one....then that is stupid. Visiting a state without a carry permit for that area while others had to go through the process is odd and messed up. Needless to say.

MsKrisp

What is wrong with him? You can't bring a loaded handgun into city towers in the US, why would he do it there and go "whoops, American!"

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ah, now I get what TAJ meant by "Hey, have you been to the Stampede yet?" lol

These trigger happy morons think they are perpetually living in the wild west.

They were trying to give him free tickets, lol.
And if he had his gun then he probably would have killed them.

Furyous

Lock his ass up because I am sick and tired of 'Mericans forcing their gun rights in other countries. You cannot run cannot an AK-47 in beijing on your back to protect you from invisible thugs. Let the police do their jobs and protect you. Toronto has to set the proper example as one of the new leaders of international culture in wake of the 3 year and 4 month ongoing debacle that is the American Presidency. Lock this dude up setting a proper example.

Sounds and looks like a dumbass right wing American.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-t-shirt.png

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom