• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved |OT| Early Access to the Land Before Time

kcxiv

Fists can knock someone out pretty quickly and its pretty easy to find friendly players along with hostile ones. If you don't to deal with other players then you can just play on a PvE server or single player. Also if your base keeps getting broken into then it is probably time to relocate or set up better defenses with dinos.

Also just learned that you can build things on the back of Brontos. Time to tame one and build mobile homes.

yeah, i dont play PVE in survival games. They are supposed to be PVP. playing on anything else is just super gimpy I dont mind dying, , but even having dino's all you ahve to do is break the gate down and have someone train them out of the base and its easy pickings. Get a Thatch foundation and a bed fairly close to the base and if you die to the dino's so what, just get your things from your dead corpse and when all the dino's are out, free loots from the wood bases. lol

One of the best single player survival games of all time for myself in 30 years of gaming and had a blast playing all weekend long. Great job to the devs and an amazing experience just living in this Dino world.

akileese

Just in case no one knew this, you lose stats while you're logged out so this explains why I logged in dead. I chose to sleep and not play for 8 hours so I died as a result. Didn't even notice that was in this and it's one of the reasons I stayed away from Rust. Oh well.

Randy

Just in case no one knew this, you lose stats while you're logged out so this explains why I logged in dead. I chose to sleep and not play for 8 hours so I died as a result. Didn't even notice that was in this and it's one of the reasons I stayed away from Rust. Oh well.

Is this true?!

Vuze

Which kind of shit mechanic is this lol

MajorMane

Yesterday had our main house near the shore ran through by about four level 35+'s on raptors. It was really annoying as they just swooped in, killed everyone, and proceeded to not even loot the place, just destroy all the items. People like this make the game not as fun, but it's expected on a PvPvE server. It was the first occurrence of this type of hostility so far and we needed an excuse to move inland anyway. Before that, however, we ran into a person we had met on our very first day of the island. Back then we took him in and gave him supplies and such. Now, he was a very high level in an affluent tribe and he rallied his tribe for a hunting party to take down the perpetrators. It was definitely an experience I've never had in another game before.

And after only two hours in the new location, we're much much better off than we were previously... that is, as long as I log in and we're still alive.

Question you can move your characters to other servers right but obviously not your inventories?

I did not know this! That's pretty interesting and I might look into it in the future. Right now, my friends and I are still able to get on the server eventually, but it's still frustrating seeing people who have been on the server for 21 hours total and you can't get in for 30 minutes, haha.

Latest patch notes, it's hard to keep up with these guys.

Best news for me here is:

- Fixed getting your body or tribe taken over by someone else -- no more Invasion of the Body Snatchers!

That was a mixture of annoyance, strange, and odd all in one.

Is this true?!

It is true. I had a tribemate die of starvation or something while he was logged out. He didn't have any food in his inventory, however. Usually if you log out with food, etc. in your inventory, you'll be fine. It's not really that much of a problem.

akileese

Yesterday had our main house near the shore ran through by about four level 35+'s on raptors. It was really annoying as they just swooped in, killed everyone, and proceeded to not even loot the place, just destroy all the items. People like this make the game not as fun, but it's expected on a PvPvE server. It was the first occurrence of this type of hostility so far and we needed an excuse to move inland anyway. Before that, however, we ran into a person we had met on our very first day of the island. Back then we took him in and gave him supplies and such. Now, he was a very high level in an affluent tribe and he rallied his tribe for a hunting party to take down the perpetrators. It was definitely an experience I've never had in another game before.

And after only two hours in the new location, we're much much better off than we were previously... that is, as long as I log in and we're still alive.

I did not know this! That's pretty interesting and I might look into it in the future. Right now, my friends and I are still able to get on the server eventually, but it's still frustrating seeing people who have been on the server for 21 hours total and you can't get in for 30 minutes, haha.

Best news for me here is:

That was a mixture of annoyance, strange, and odd all in one.

It is true. I had a tribemate die of starvation or something while he was logged out. He didn't have any food in his inventory, however. Usually if you log out with food, etc. in your inventory, you'll be fine. It's not really that much of a problem.

I had 18 pieces of cooked meat in my inventory. The other problem is the hyper expiration of food. Raw food and berries should continue to go bad quickly, I'm fine with that. My issue is with cooked meat expiring after 20 minutes. Even if I sprinted around in circles consistently, I couldn't use it all up before it expired.

I really love Ark. It's one of the most accessible and fun to play survival games I've ever played. It has it flaws, but the good outweighs the bad and the potential is definitely there. I agree that it'll probably get patched out of the general game. Create hardcore servers where there are different rules for people who want to play that way, but if it's still there in a week or two I'll be shocked.

I had 18 pieces of cooked meat in my inventory. The other problem is the hyper expiration of food. Raw food and berries should continue to go bad quickly, I'm fine with that. My issue is with cooked meat expiring after 20 minutes. Even if I sprinted around in circles consistently, I couldn't use it all up before it expired.

I really love Ark. It's one of the most accessible and fun to play survival games I've ever played. It has it flaws, but the good outweighs the bad and the potential is definitely there. I agree that it'll probably get patched out of the general game. Create hardcore servers where there are different rules for people who want to play that way, but if it's still there in a week or two I'll be shocked.
I was under the impression that one piece of meat expires after the timer reaches zero then resets.

MajorMane

I was under the impression that one piece of meat expires after the timer reaches zero then resets.

Yes, if you have a stack of say 18 cooked meat, after 20 minutes or whatever it is, only 1 will expire and the counter will restart. That being said, I completely agree that I think cooked meat expires a little too quickly compared to say raw meat. Just add in salt or something that we can combine with meat to make it last longer!

I really love this game and despite its flaws, I find myself playing it more and more because it is just pure fun. The constant updates by the devs and their commitment to the community is extremely refreshing.

Fordfx2

I fucking love this game! If anyone wants to play with me on steam. Send me a PM on here and i'll play with ya.

Mirk

I am pretty sure that people logging in dead is due to the weather. If your is a zone that has high heat and extreme cold that will drain your food and water fast. I never logged in dead in bases near the coast. In our new spot though the temps are crazy. It can be 43c during the day then -20c at night.

Fordfx2

GAF I love dinosaurs! And this game looks really good from what I'm seeing, but is it worth the money at this state? People have said it is unplayable atm and that buyers should save there money until it performs better. What do you guys think.

It is playable, just not very optimized even for the killer rigs out there. So, if you like it buy it and support them. If it doesn't interest you to play in alpha then wait...but this game is a load of fun!

MiguelItUp

I REALLY want to get this, but I'm honestly concerned about performance and would love to hold out for an update. Or even just a lower price. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and give it a shot.

MajorMane

I REALLY want to get this, but I'm honestly concerned about performance and would love to hold out for an update. Or even just a lower price. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and give it a shot.

In terms of performance, I've found that it's been getting every update or so. It's much better than it has been and I'm able to play with consistent "good" graphics and hardly any problems. I have an upper-mid tier computer compared to others. Not great, but better than a lot out there.

In my opinion, it's worth the price it's at right now (17% off, I think). It's definitely an early access game and you're going to run into problems every now and then, but the fun of the game far outweighs any of its problems currently. Not sure if it will go any lower in the price than it's out right now, so if you want it and can spare the money right now, I'd say get it.

JambiBum

I hate it too. I hope its one thing they fix soon. This game has been a blast though. Nothing like getting jumped by a pack of raptors in the middle of the night or flying over 2 trex taking on a heard of trikes!

You hate me because I'm beautiful :(

Couple of things I've seen that I'll try to address.

You don't lose stats when you are logged out. You do however suffer from the weather so if you log out in a place with not so friendly weather conditions (like Mirk and I's current location) make sure that your house is completely closed off so that it always stays a moderate temperature. If you are unsure and don't want to risk it, just make a storage chest and put all of your gear inside of it while you are logged out. That way in case you do die you can just pick it back up again. Just make sure you have a bed to spawn on.

As far as transferring characters goes, I tested this last night and the only thing that transfers is your character's level. You also delete the character from whatever server you are currenty on in order to move it over to a new one. You can also transfer a tamed dino but it loses its inventory (not its saddle) as well.

BashNasty

I'm interested in this game, but before I jump in I'm curious about the "feel".

Clearly the framerate needs work, but what about things like mouse movement, getting around the world, gun feel, riding dinosaurs, ect. Does all that stuff feel good and smooth. I can deal with crappy framerates, but unpolished game feel is a killer for me.

Hi guys, me and Sikamikanico are giving this a go again now, if you want to have a look. I'm going to attempt to stream it.

MeesterMeerkat if you're interested.

JambiBum

Clearly the framerate needs work, but what about things like mouse movement, getting around the world, gun feel, riding dinosaurs, ect. Does all that stuff feel good and smooth. I can deal with crappy framerates, but unpolished game feel is a killer for me.

Don't use a mouse so I can't answer that, but everything else controls great. If it had the framerate issues and it didn't play well then people wouldn't play it because it would be a mess to actually play. Dinosaurs can't move backwards so that part kinda sucks and sometimes its hard to tell what you can jump onto as far as height goes, but those are really my only two gripes about the actual gameplay.

MajorMane

Don't use a mouse so I can't answer that, but everything else controls great. If it had the framerate issues and it didn't play well then people wouldn't play it because it would be a mess to actually play. Dinosaurs can't move backwards so that part kinda sucks and sometimes its hard to tell what you can jump onto as far as height goes, but those are really my only two gripes about the actual gameplay.

Mouse + keyboard control is smooth and nice. I've had no troubles with it.

Wed have a guy in our tribe who hadn't logged in 3 days and he's still fine. Just make sure you are in a closed off building and full on food and hydration before you log. If you're going to be gone for an excess amount of time someone from your tribe could always feed you. And unless your playing hardcore dying isn't even that big of a deal. Put all your stuff in a chest and log.

Now mechanics that could really use work are fence foundations not being able to nicely snap between two other foundations, pets inside a fence being aggressive to animals outside the fence and consequently clipping through the wall, pets set to follow having a hard time navigating and finding gates, bigger animals like Brontos being insanely easy to kill because there's no stomp damage.

akileese

You're right. I think it should be 2 hours per piece if you're going to force people to stay logged in even after they log out. As it stands, a stack of 20 will expire in a standard sleep cycle and with the way your stats go down while logged out, if you have a full time job, you're dead by the time you log in the next night, which is absurd.

E: MajorMane: It's possible what I experienced was a glitch. There are plenty of people on the subreddit who've reported the same thing happening to them. Either way, deterioration timers need to be adjusted and it'd be nice if you could enter some sort of sleep state where your stats deteriorate at a significantly slower pace.

Sephon

Today my greed was the end of me.
Just relocated since my house and 2 dinos was completely decimated (I thought gaffers were nice?).
So I set up my new location and started to tame a Triceratops, when I decided to kill few Dilos for their hide. Suddenly I found that the Dilos seemed a bit bigger... and once it was too late I realized that they were murderous Raptors.

So now I lost my trike, my stuff and my home is pretty empty. I think I've died 10 times after that due to the grief.
I kind of like that this game is brutal, but I also hate it.
Will play again though.

You're right. I think it should be 2 hours per piece if you're going to force people to stay logged in even after they log out. As it stands, a stack of 20 will expire in a standard sleep cycle and with the way your stats go down while logged out, if you have a full time job, you're dead by the time you log in the next night, which is absurd.

E: MajorMane: It's possible what I experienced was a glitch. There are plenty of people on the subreddit who've reported the same thing happening to them. Either way, deterioration timers need to be adjusted and it'd be nice if you could enter some sort of sleep state where your stats deteriorate at a significantly slower pace.
If you don't move you hunger very slowly, and even slower if you're loved or from what I see. I work 60+ hour weeks and haven't came across this. Think this might be getting confused with some other random log in death but idk.

If meat lasted 2 hours then reset for the next one you might as well make it Minecraft where hunger isn't even an issue. The way it is now is nice putting good emphasis on frequent hunting. Also remember scorpions feed on the spooled meat, an increase to 2 hours would starve those poor guys! :p

Today my greed was the end of me.
Just relocated since my house and 2 dinos was completely decimated (I thought gaffers were nice?).
So I set up my new location and started to tame a Triceratops, when I decided to kill few Dilos for their hide. Suddenly I found that the Dilos seemed a bit bigger... and once it was too late I realized that they were murderous Raptors.

So now I lost my trike, my stuff and my home is pretty empty. I think I've died 10 times after that due to the grief.
I kind of like that this game is brutal, but I also hate it.
Will play again though.
Because of how brutal it is I'm sort of hoping servers start merging into 2-4 mega tribes opposed to these small 4-6 man tribes that can't reasonably defend themselves despite having great bases. 70 player servers, so imagine it as a 35v35 constant warfare, both tribes HQ highly defended. That's be cool, but even 24v23v23 or 19v19v19v18 would create interesting scenarios. But maybe that's just my imagination.

Would be cool if we could form alliances because no one wants to merge tribes.

JambiBum

Here's a tip to make the inventory look a hell of a lot nicer. When you are in the inventory screen hit Q to get rid of all of the extra text. It actually looks presentable now.

Ferrio

Banned
Even with a shitty rig I was thinking of picking this up. Until I saw that pretty much any threat can be neutralized by meleeing it with a bow. :|

MajorMane

Even with a shitty rig I was thinking of picking this up. Until I saw that pretty much any threat can be neutralized by meleeing it with a bow. :|

This trick really isn't game-breaking. You're not going to be able to run up to a T-Rex and wack it once with a bow and it falls unconscious. Even "lesser" dinosaurs such as the Stego, Parasaur (it runs) and certain carnivores will pose quite a challenge if you're just meleeing them. It's a useful trick, sure, but not a good reason why you shouldn't pick up the game.

JambiBum

I just picked up a friend who started a new character with a pterodactyl and brought him back to our base so he didn't have to run there. Game is too good.

Woo-Fu

Banned
GAF I love dinosaurs!

Do you want to tame them, saddle them, train them, ride them, and hunt with them?

sFdKa8e.jpg

Was watching some gameplay yesterday. Game looks pretty cool, but man, that character creation is ridiculous and in my opinion takes away from the game. It's funny as hell at first, but the comedic aspect wears off pretty quick and it starts to look stupid. Maybe that's just me.

One thing I've noticed in the neighborhood I frequent on our server is that people who made goofy-looking characters quit playing already or re-rolled into characters that aren't exaggerated. Now it is mostly normal proportions, just tall or short.

Lastly I'm kind of worried about tribal consolidation. The server I'm on is quickly heading to a two megatribe reality, at which point one tribe will destroy everything of the other tribe when they're logged out and then all those people who lost everything will quit/reroll on another server/copy their character to unofficial/singleplayer/whatever. Or perhaps even worse, they'll form an alliance/merge into an uber tribe and then all the PvP-related fun stops for everybody.

Mirk

This game! This god damn game its so brutal :( I got our tera and carno killed and caused jambi and lewtt to lose all their stuff today. When it rains it pours! I need a drink.

komplanen

How's the controller support in this?

EDIT: Too late now. Steam said it has 'full controller support' so I bought it. I hope I don't end up as a statistic in the refund thread because of this :p

kcxiv

This game is by far the worst ran game i have ever played. The Framerate today was the worst its ever been. Today was just a huge lagfest, i had to log out, i couldnt play like that.

Lastly I'm kind of worried about tribal consolidation. The server I'm on is quickly heading to a two megatribe reality, at which point one tribe will destroy everything of the other tribe when they're logged out and then all those people who lost everything will quit/reroll on another server/copy their character to unofficial/singleplayer/whatever. Or perhaps even worse, they'll form an alliance/merge into an uber tribe and then all the PvP-related fun stops for everybody.
is a mega tribe ever logged out? I feel your more likely to get all your stuff destroyed over night in a small tribe.

Sephon

How's the controller support in this?

EDIT: Too late now. Steam said it has 'full controller support' so I bought it. I hope I don't end up as a statistic in the refund thread because of this :p

Tried it last night, and it's pretty well implemented in the game.
That said, in the menus/inventory the controller simply controls the mouse, which I hope will be patched in the close future since it feels really cheap.

komplanen

Tried it last night, and it's pretty well implemented in the game.
That said, in the menus/inventory the controller simply controls the mouse, which I hope will be patched in the close future since it feels really cheap.

Yeah I tried it out for a couple of minutes and my initial impression is positive enough :)

Though the menus need a proper controller support or I'm sure calling it "full support" on Steam will backfire.

First two minutes and I punched two level 7 dodos to death and told them to stay extinct or I'll be back.

Archpath1

Dang imagine if they add in a King Kong expansion with those ugly huge insects like in the movie
Ride giant centipedes, grasshoppers, even big gorillas etc...

Game is fun,and is fun enough to watch others too

Sephon

Dang imagine if they add in a King Kong expansion with those ugly huge insects like in the movie
Ride giant centipedes, grasshoppers, even big gorillas etc...

Game is fun,and is fun enough to watch others too

I wonder how they'll be placed in the world if they're aggressive, since we really need partially safe zones to get started. Maybe they'll be only contained to caves or neutral.

But yeah, if they get a more realistic movement behaviour of the creatures it'll be amazing to just watch... and in VR... yeah, a boys dream.

komplanen

The reality of how unoptimized this is just hit me. Also glitchy corpses lol. I killed a dino and it flew away before I could loot it.

Akyan

I've given this a whirl with a few friends, and I quite like the Rust with Dinosaurs. Sure, it badly needs some TLC where performance optimisation is concerned... but it's not stopped me having a whale of a time.

Top Bottom