• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane founder says Skyrim is an immersive sim, and Baldur's Gate 3 is 'immersive sim-adjacent'

Wildebeest

So Duke 3D is an im-sim?

Better even, is Duke Forever the grandest o im-sims as it not only has functioning toilets - it let's you pick up feces and use them as a white board marker?
Big Brain Meme GIF by Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Correct. The biggest characteristic of the imm-sim in Freudian terms is "anal fixation" of the content. An increased interest in defecation and a feeling of rebellion against authority. This is seen as a sort of "acting out" of a feeling of childhood injustice of someone being shamed for performing normal body functions incorrectly.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Who started using this term anyways? it really means nothing to me. At least biome is just a douchebag way to say area or level.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Who started using this term anyways? it really means nothing to me. At least biome is just a douchebag way to say area or level.
Warren Spector used Immersive Sim but claimed it came from Doug Church who doesn't really seem to do much in the ways of PR bullshit.

Last edited:

Prekk

Neo Member
Who started using this term anyways?
Even the Wikipedia article doesn't have any good sources to its origin.

Apparently some rando person came up with it about 10 years ago and it got traction.
Marketing departments eventually picked it up because "Immersive Sim" sounds much better than "Really Slow First Person Shooter".

technically, biome is a term used specifically in games with procedural generation to describe one type of ecosystem the algorithm creates.
Interesting. One of my favorite VR games, the devs refer to the 3 levels as 'biomes', the levels are all procedurally generated/randomized. Always seemed like a weird term but makes sense now. Thanks!

Top Bottom