• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmA 2 free to play version announced

The Arma 2 Official Website announces Arma 2, a free-to-play multiplayer version of Arma 2, the military shooter sequel from Bohemia Interactive Studios. They say this is set to launch this month, and offer this launch trailer to celebrate the news. Here's word:

Arma 2: Free redefines the free-to-play battlefield with its truly unrivalled scale and gameplay possibilities. Arma 2: Free serves up almost everything offered by the original Arma 2 - the '13th best PC game of all time', according to PC Gamer - minus the campaign, HD graphics and support for user-made addons and mods. Arma 2: Free is scheduled for release in June 2011.

Create your own custom-built scenarios or deploy a massive selection of missions and game-modes made by others. No micro-transactions, no hidden costs, just the same epic terrain and huge variety of equipment! This is Arma 2 Free - virtual war without the training wheels. Arma 2: Free to download, free to play, free to share, free to host, free to create... free to play redefined!

News: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/122564/arma-2-free-announced

Dwarden said:
finally can post around :)

details atm. here

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ARMA2_PackageCombination

more will be updated when time come

The public beta has begun: http://www.bluesnews.com/a/2400/arma-2-free-public-beta-launched

ARMA 2 FREE PUBLIC BETA LAUNCHED!
Bohemia Interactive launches the free-to-play version of its critically acclaimed mil-sim title Arma 2.

Prague, Czech Republic, June 23, 2011 - Bohemia Interactive, the award-winning independent game development studio, is pleased to announce the launch of Arma 2: Free - a free-to-play version of the critically acclaimed mil-sim title Arma 2.

Arma 2: Free redefines the free-to-play battlefield with its truly unrivaled scale and gameplay possibilities. Arma 2: Free serves up almost everything offered by the original Arma 2 - the '13th best PC game of all time', according to North American PC Gamer - minus the campaign, HD graphics and support for user-made addons and mods. Arma 2: Free Public Beta is available now via http://www.arma2.com/free/

Create your own custom-built scenarios or deploy a massive selection of missions and game-modes made by others. No micro-transactions, no hidden costs, just the same epic terrain and huge variety of equipment! This is Arma 2 Free - virtual war without the training wheels. Arma 2: Free to download, free to play, free to share, free to host, free to create... free to play redefined!

Some of the key features of Arma 2: Free include:

Free military simulation - An authentic battlefield simulation, including bullet ballistics, material penetration and much more.
Free armory - A comprehensive range of 300+ weapons, units and fully-usable armed or unarmed vehicles across air, land and water classes.
Free unique multiplayer - Multiplayer with large-scale maps for 50+ live players and hundreds of AI units. Supports a wide variety of MP modes from co-op and PvP modes, to total mayhem!
Free dedicated servers - Both Linux and Windows OS dedicated server support for users to host freely wherever and however they like even to play together on the same retail game-servers.
Free creativity - Quick mission templates, a powerful, built-in, easy to use SP/MP mission editor, and advanced scripting.
Arma 2: Free is fully compatible with user-made missions, campaigns and multiplayer modes originally created for Arma 2, as well as being multiplayer compatible with the full Arma 2 providing no user-made addons or mods are used.

To learn more about the Arma 2: Free project please visit the product´s website at www.arma2.com/free

Arma 2 also receives an update to version 1.10 to be compatible with Arma 2 Free. Amongst the variety of tweaks and improvements detailed in the readme file, this update unites both Arma 2 and Arma 2: Free to version 1.10

Arma 2 update 1.10 highlights: .Added: Support for Arma 2: Free .Improved: Stronger signature checking. .Commandline option -donothing (engine closes immediately after detecting this option)

Follow Bohemia Interactive on Twitter, Facebook and Youtube to get all the latest information about their games: YouTube: bohemiainteract Twitter: bohemiainteract Facebook: bohemiainteractive

- ENDS -

About Bohemia Interactive

Established in 1999 in Prague, Czech Republic, Bohemia Interactive is an independent game development studio that focuses on developing original state of the art computer entertainment and simulation software, including the research of proprietary advanced real-time 3D graphics, artificial intelligence and physical simulation technologies for real-time interactive environments.

Operation Flashpoint*, Bohemia Interactive's debut game published by Codemasters in 2001, became the No. 1 best-selling PC game around the world and has won many international awards, including "Game of The Year" and "Best Action Game." Over two million copies of Operation Flashpoint have been sold since its release. Bohemia Interactive's second major release, ArmA: Armed Assault, followed in 2007 and sold over half a million copies on PC through various local publishing partners. Arma 2, the latest hit in the series of realistic military simulators, released worldwide during summer 2009 and was placed in the top positions of official PC charts around the world immediately thereafter. Arma 2 won "Most PC" Game in the 2009 PC Gamer Awards and is featured 13th in their "100 Best PC Games of all times".

Following the release of Arma2, the standalone expansion pack Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead was developed. This massive expansion was strongly received by both critics and fans alike; reviews considered it as surpassing the previous title and building on its strong mil-sim heritage. The "Armaverse" was then expanded further by the hugely popular British Armed Forces (BAF) and Private Military Company (PMC) DLCs, both released in 2010. Currently under development at the studio are three massive PC titles Arma 3, helicopter game Take On Helicopters and Sci-Fi action game with strategy elements Carrier Command: Gaea Mission. Bohemia Interactive won the Best PC Game Developer award for 2001 at London's ECTS exhibition and Rookie Studio of the Year award at GDC 2002.

http://www.bistudio.com/ I http://community.bistudio.com I http://forums.bistudio.com/

Operation Flashpoint"T is a trademark of Codemasters.

Sethos

Banned
That was obvious, after Nvidia released a set of drivers with the profile "arma2free.exe" was included.

Minus the HD graphics, what the hell xD ?

Sethos said:
That was obvious, after Nvidia released a set of drivers with the profile "arma2free.exe" was included.

Minus the HD graphics, what the hell xD ?

I wonder if this will improve performance of the game? LOL

TheExodu5

Banned
I would play it if they bothered to create a control scheme that wasn't the most obtuse control scheme ever designed by man.

kodt

Banned
Sounds interesting.

And what do they mean by "HD" graphics? HD in terms of resolution? In that case the game would not be able to run at 1280x720 or above? Certainly that cannot be what they mean. I am guessing lower texture quality and some post-processing effects are disabled, maybe AA as well.

Techno

Neo Member
ArmA 2 is a game for the most hardcore of hardcore military players. Like I'm talking 40 year old Texans who just got back from there third tour of Iraq hardcore.

The amount of co-operation in this game is unparalleled in the FPS genre. This game is the epitome of PC gaming. That's why I love it.

Unfortunetly, like most other games, I'd rather just play Starcraft.

Interesting--I wonder if this will carry over to ARMA3 in some way? Regardless, can get my friends who were on the fence to at least try it out now!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Definitely will give it a try at the very least. I heard the campaign was ignorable and it taxed machines, so it solved my to gripes already.

TheExodu5 said:
I would play it if they bothered to create a control scheme that wasn't the most obtuse control scheme ever designed by man.
God, this.

By the time I got through binding all of the keys I had forgotten what I assigned each action too.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I will give it a shot.
It includes a mission editor too for both SP and MP maps.

Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
that's WIP and i think the visuals are already quite good ...

just don't expect blowing mind by overrated blockbuster movie style :)

btw. there is ARMA 3 thread so use that one for it ;)

The public beta has begun: http://www.bluesnews.com/a/2400/arma-2-free-public-beta-launched

ARMA 2 FREE PUBLIC BETA LAUNCHED!
Bohemia Interactive launches the free-to-play version of its critically acclaimed mil-sim title Arma 2.

Prague, Czech Republic, June 23, 2011 - Bohemia Interactive, the award-winning independent game development studio, is pleased to announce the launch of Arma 2: Free - a free-to-play version of the critically acclaimed mil-sim title Arma 2.

Arma 2: Free redefines the free-to-play battlefield with its truly unrivaled scale and gameplay possibilities. Arma 2: Free serves up almost everything offered by the original Arma 2 - the '13th best PC game of all time', according to North American PC Gamer - minus the campaign, HD graphics and support for user-made addons and mods. Arma 2: Free Public Beta is available now via http://www.arma2.com/free/

Some of the key features of Arma 2: Free include:

Free military simulation - An authentic battlefield simulation, including bullet ballistics, material penetration and much more.
Free armory - A comprehensive range of 300+ weapons, units and fully-usable armed or unarmed vehicles across air, land and water classes.
Free unique multiplayer - Multiplayer with large-scale maps for 50+ live players and hundreds of AI units. Supports a wide variety of MP modes from co-op and PvP modes, to total mayhem!
Free dedicated servers - Both Linux and Windows OS dedicated server support for users to host freely wherever and however they like even to play together on the same retail game-servers.
Free creativity - Quick mission templates, a powerful, built-in, easy to use SP/MP mission editor, and advanced scripting.
Arma 2: Free is fully compatible with user-made missions, campaigns and multiplayer modes originally created for Arma 2, as well as being multiplayer compatible with the full Arma 2 providing no user-made addons or mods are used.

To learn more about the Arma 2: Free project please visit the product´s website at www.arma2.com/free

Arma 2 also receives an update to version 1.10 to be compatible with Arma 2 Free. Amongst the variety of tweaks and improvements detailed in the readme file, this update unites both Arma 2 and Arma 2: Free to version 1.10

Arma 2 update 1.10 highlights: .Added: Support for Arma 2: Free .Improved: Stronger signature checking. .Commandline option -donothing (engine closes immediately after detecting this option)

Follow Bohemia Interactive on Twitter, Facebook and Youtube to get all the latest information about their games: YouTube: bohemiainteract Twitter: bohemiainteract Facebook: bohemiainteractive

- ENDS -

About Bohemia Interactive

Established in 1999 in Prague, Czech Republic, Bohemia Interactive is an independent game development studio that focuses on developing original state of the art computer entertainment and simulation software, including the research of proprietary advanced real-time 3D graphics, artificial intelligence and physical simulation technologies for real-time interactive environments.

Operation Flashpoint*, Bohemia Interactive's debut game published by Codemasters in 2001, became the No. 1 best-selling PC game around the world and has won many international awards, including "Game of The Year" and "Best Action Game." Over two million copies of Operation Flashpoint have been sold since its release. Bohemia Interactive's second major release, ArmA: Armed Assault, followed in 2007 and sold over half a million copies on PC through various local publishing partners. Arma 2, the latest hit in the series of realistic military simulators, released worldwide during summer 2009 and was placed in the top positions of official PC charts around the world immediately thereafter. Arma 2 won "Most PC" Game in the 2009 PC Gamer Awards and is featured 13th in their "100 Best PC Games of all times".

Following the release of Arma2, the standalone expansion pack Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead was developed. This massive expansion was strongly received by both critics and fans alike; reviews considered it as surpassing the previous title and building on its strong mil-sim heritage. The "Armaverse" was then expanded further by the hugely popular British Armed Forces (BAF) and Private Military Company (PMC) DLCs, both released in 2010. Currently under development at the studio are three massive PC titles Arma 3, helicopter game Take On Helicopters and Sci-Fi action game with strategy elements Carrier Command: Gaea Mission. Bohemia Interactive won the Best PC Game Developer award for 2001 at London's ECTS exhibition and Rookie Studio of the Year award at GDC 2002.

http://www.bistudio.com/ I http://community.bistudio.com I http://forums.bistudio.com/

Operation Flashpoint"T is a trademark of Codemasters.

DAT GRAPHICS!
1308845505979.jpg

Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
this is cost for lowering the size of game under 1GB ...
it's actually not that bad considering the cost

anyway we plan on supporting this if needed hence why it's atm. marked as beta
(which indicates further updating)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been checking and it doesn't appear for download, when will it be ready?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit at those graphics.

But does it run better than normal ARMA?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Dwarden said:
this is cost for lowering the size of game under 1GB ...
it's actually not that bad considering the cost

anyway we plan on supporting this if needed hence why it's atm. marked as beta
(which indicates further updating)

Can you give a timeframe when the Take On Helicopters is beta due?

Can't wait to try it out.

Kritz

Banned
Man, this would be great if it supported mods. I mean, I already own Arma II, but it'd be nice to see the Arma II Project Reality mod community take a jump in numbers.
(I haven't actually played the Arma II PR mod, so dunno how they're doing. I assume no better than BF2 PR)

Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
it supports all the custom missions for both MultiPlayer and SinglePlayer and has fully featured editor ...

there are 100s great missions which don't need any mods ...

and about project reality, they already moved to Operation Arrowhead engine
they even obtained rights to use some of our models to improve the develpment

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Downloading now.

Ive always wanted to play Arma but my PC couldnt handle the Arma2 Demo.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Dwarden said:
it supports all the custom missions for both MultiPlayer and SinglePlayer and has fully featured editor ...

there are 100s great missions which don't need any mods ...

and about project reality, they already moved to Operation Arrowhead engine
they even obtained rights to use some of our models to improve the develpment
Thanks for the insights.

Does this work with a 360 pad?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man, the audio is really distorted. I know this is a glitch or something. Runs fine with everything maxed. I had to turn the audio down. Controls feel laggy too. Don't know if that's the connection or not.

Man I just quit, it's like loud distortions while the chopper blades spin or any time I walk. Can't hear my gun fire either. I don't know is this is just me or not.

cbox

LiquidMetal14 said:
Man, the audio is really distorted. I know this is a glitch or something. Runs fine with everything maxed. I had to turn the audio down. Controls feel laggy too. Don't know if that's the connection or not.

Man I just quit, it's like loud distortions while the chopper blades spin or any time I walk. Can't hear my gun fire either. I don't know is this is just me or not.

Go into controls and set smoothing to off, feels a bit better that way.

Fersis

It seems that ive run into several scripting bugs.
Im trying to finish the first trial (Academy) but it doesnt recognize that i finished the Javelin tutorial. =/
I destroyed the 3 wood tanks and nothing happens.

Also: My PC Sucks.

Top Bottom