• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord? Sony is ignoring a potentially great free to play multiplayer shooter that they already own, and that game is Destiny 2.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Acquisition costs are not part of the calculus, those studios are still in operation

Helldivers 2 made in ver $400M net. The concord bomb and whatever cancelled projects you’re referring to very likely fall under that number
Not the $1.2 billion retention bonuses. Add up the costs off all the failed projects and retention bonus and whatever profits H2 made so far barely makes a dent.

Ozriel

M$FT
Well so far Helldivers has made up for their other failures

Sony is just the parent company, some of these studios know what they’re doing

That’s not how companies see these things.

WB certainly doesn’t believe that Hogwarts Legacy insane success made up for the losses due to Suicide Squad.

Each game is its own investment, and has its own expectations.

Perhaps ‘mitigated’ is the right word.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Then remove the disadvantage. Take every good to great PVP weapon in the game that can only be obtained through Raids and Trials, and create a separate cosmetically different equivlent that you can earn by playing crucible. Make it a true stand alone game. And they wouldn't be maintaining two games, just two launchers that focus on different types of content. But ultimately, it would still be the same content that Destiny 2 players have always played. It would just be packaged in a way that's finally friendly to new and free to play players, and doesn't put them at a disadvantage.
You say this like the only advantage is lootshit…

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Up until recently, Destiny 2 required you to keep paying for DLC expansions, or you would be left behind. Generally speaking, at least some weapons would have to be "better" in some ways for each expansion, so you would be at a disadvantage if you didn't keep up. And even if you paid for the expansions, Bungie also sold seasonal content and access to additional PVE content separately. It was overly confusing, and required people to keep paying.

There's also a concerning "rich just get richer" element to PVP and harder PVE content for free to play players, where some of the best weapons in the game are locked behind paid content, the highly competitive Trials mode that requires multiple PVP wins, and six player raids that require a great deal of organization and teamwork. So people who have played the game the most, and who are the most skilled at playing highly competitive and challenging content often also had the best weapons. Not really good game design for a "free" game.

This is why I think reworking crucible to be a genuinely free to play experience would be a great opportunity for Sony, and it would also likely create interest in people purchasing access to all other existing content for a single low price. I think that, along with continued cosmetic DLC, would be the best path going forward.

Then remove the disadvantage. Take every good to great PVP weapon in the game that can only be obtained through Raids and Trials, and create a separate cosmetically different equivlent that you can earn by playing crucible. Make it a true stand alone game. And they wouldn't be maintaining two games, just two launchers that focus on different types of content. But ultimately, it would still be the same content that Destiny 2 players have always played. It would just be packaged in a way that's finally friendly to new and free to play players, and doesn't put them at a disadvantage.
Crucible would die a death on its own, its very stale and just not very good. Theres a reason Bungie all but abandoned the mode.

Killjoy-NL

In thw very loses
In the very loosest sense. Sure you can play a few core activities but thats it. 90%of the game is paywalled.
Crucible is f2p right?

I know PvE content is mostly paid. Haven't really played D2 since a month after it released.

clarky

Gold Member
Crucible is f2p right?

I know PvE content is mostly paid. Haven't really played D2 since a month after it released.
I just checked there is more than i thought actually:

"Some activities and easier content are free. Kingsfall, vault of glass, Crota's End are free raids. Prophecy dungeon is free, 3 players max. Most Vanguard, Most crucible, Gambit is free"

clarky

Gold Member
Edit DP.

If they are going to make a separate Destiny PVP then they might as well use the superior D1 Crucible

Last edited:

Pfroebbel

I played thousands of hours Destiny and Destiny 2 and i hated every Multiplayer Match i was forced to play there in all the years.

Concord plays totally different - and for me and what i like in Mp Games Comcord played already in the Beta much better than Destiny and its dumb Class (in)Balance and Spaghetti Code.

Destiny Mp ist not the Answer for People who wants a free to play MP Game.

Last edited:

AteBitWolf

Neo Member
Bungie went woke a couple years ago so there's not much hope left for them either.

iu

Last edited:
That’s not how companies see these things.

WB certainly doesn’t believe that Hogwarts Legacy insane success made up for the losses due to Suicide Squad.

Each game is its own investment, and has its own expectations.

Perhaps ‘mitigated’ is the right word.

True, I am sure they all want their projects to be a success. But I think if you're bold enough to invest in 12 GaaS games, then you know that some of them (most?) are going to be duds.

Sony wants that Fortnite type money and would gladly have 11 of them fail to get it....but I doubt they get there. I think Helldivers 2 is around the upper echelon of success they can expect with their GaaS titles. The market is pretty saturated.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

OP is correct. I don't like Destiny 2, but the PvP of the first game was good fun. I would likely download and play a PvP app that is smaller in size and accessible from the get go. I don't want that cluttered shit that is D2 complete.

And yeah Destiny 2 must do something very wrong as ts nearly impossible to jump in. Even for someone who actually played D2 at launch. I had about 40 hours in D2 vanilla, and when I tried the F2P about a year ago I was absolutely clueless and deleted it off my SSD rather quickly.

D2 PvP was horrible though. It had nothing on the first game.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I’ve never understood the deliberate attempt to split your player base.

Sony stated it was working on no fewer than 9 live service games.

How can devs recoup costs let alone make a profit when you’re spreading your player base so thin.

Last edited:
I’ve never understood the deliberate attempt to split your player base.

Sony stated it was working on no fewer than 9 live service games.

How can devs recoup costs let alone make a profit when you’re spreading your player base so thin.
Because Sony knows shit about multiplayer focused games, so they just went with the spray-and-pray tactic while burning money while expecting something out of it would stick to the wall and they could secure more resources avenues. It was unrealistic and disastrous, but they went with it anyway. No wonder they backed down on it a few months ago on their live-service focus. I bet Jade Raymond is sweating in fear right now with her "Fair Games" project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom