• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmA 2 free to play version announced

Nemic77

Just gave it a go... Doesn't really run any better than the demo of Arma 2 I tried a while ago, but it's playable on medium.

I'll definitely keep playing this, though... The level of teamwork is just what I enjoy in multiplayer games. Even though some team killers showed up every once in a while, I saw a lot of mature gamers playing.

Always nice how there is always someone ready to risk themselves do drag an injured player and revive them.

Sethos

Banned
Nemic77 said:
Just gave it a go... Doesn't really run any better than the demo of Arma 2 I tried a while ago, but it's playable on medium.

I'll definitely keep playing this, though... The level of teamwork is just what I enjoy in multiplayer games. Even though some team killers showed up every once in a while, I saw a lot of mature gamers playing.

Always nice how there is always someone ready to risk themselves do drag an injured player and revive them.

I know that's what they want you to do but I beg of you, if you like it, get the full game.

It's one of those underrated gems that when played in the right environment is like the holy grail of gaming ( If you're into milsims that is ) - With the right realism, sound and effect mods plus a game that actually looks nice, you're in for one hell of an experience.

It's the mod support that lifts this game above and beyond.

Dennis

Banned
Sethos said:
I know that's what they want you to do but I beg of you, if you like it, get the full game.

It's one of those underrated gems that when played in the right environment is like the holy grail of gaming ( If you're into milsims that is ) - With the right realism, sound and effect mods plus a game that actually looks nice, you're in for one hell of an experience.

Listen to this man.

IMACOMPUTA

Sethos said:

What mods ? I own arma 2 and operation arrowhead, but have never tried any mods. I get lost in that game every once in a while and just spend hours messing around. When i'm in the mood for something like that, it's unmatched.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dwarden said:

One has better textures, real-time lightning that's better, and a text box at the bottom left instead of up a bit from the upper left?

Better water and draw distance, as well?

So basically, better graphics and that's about it besides the expansions and singleplayer campaign?

Edit: Oh, yeah, and OpenID is apparently out of CD keys for the installer. Way to be truly "free to play," guys. :p

Nemic77

Sethos said:

Oh... Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like a cheap ass.

When I got my current computer, I had Arma 2 in the list of games to get. I hadn't gotten it before, because the demo ran horribly on my last computer.

When I did try the demo on this computer, I was still a bit disapointed by the performance so I put it on stand by.

I'll I keep enjoying the free version, I'll definitely get the full version.

Freki

Nemic77 said:
Oh... Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like a cheap ass.

When I got my current computer, I had Arma 2 in the list of games to get. I hadn't gotten it before, because the demo ran horribly on my last computer.

When I did try the demo on this computer, I was still a bit disapointed by the performance so I put it on stand by.

I'll I keep enjoying the free version, I'll definitely get the full version.

What kind of a rig do you have if i may ask?

Everdred

I can't believe how much they killed the graphics... I guess I will use it as a demo to see if I might like Arma 3 when it comes out.

Nemic77

Freki said:
What kind of a rig do you have if i may ask?

It's a laptop, should have specified:

Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Dual Core (Sandy Bridge) @ 2.30Ghz
6 GB DDR3-1333
NVIDIA GeForce™ GT 525M 2Gb

It's nothing special considering the type of desktop computer I could have gotten, but considering I spend a lot of time at work. It was best to get a laptop.

It's still a considerable upgrade from my last computer though.

Sethos

Banned
IMACOMPUTA said:
What mods ? I own arma 2 and operation arrowhead, but have never tried any mods. I get lost in that game every once in a while and just spend hours messing around. When i'm in the mood for something like that, it's unmatched.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28517942&postcount=836

Here's something I wrote up, that's basically what I use.

A quick video of a random scenario I made with those effects, sound mod etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cdmRYohv18

Top Bottom