• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Sober

I know everyone's more excited about The Flash tonight, but I decided to take a bit of a dive into my thoughts on Arrow ahead of the premiere tomorrow.

I don't go over Olicity or anything like that. It's more about the one thing I still find fascinating about the show, and it's about Oliver's 5-year origin story and where I think they went wrong in seasons 3 and 4. And some broad hopes for 5.

What the hell?? So Arrow isn't on CTV this year? Much Music airs it a day late and some channel called PIX has the new episodes on Wednesdays (but not in HD, at least in my cable package). It doesn't look like anyone is carrying Legends of Tomorrow except for PIX.

EDIT: Looks like CTV 2 is carrying all these shows. Which is of course, not a channel I get. FFFFFFFFFF.

ZeroX03

Banned
SEASON PREMIERE TONIGHT!!

#5.01 "Legacy"
NEW BEGINNINGS — After Laurel’s (Katie Cassidy) death and the departures of both Diggle (David Ramsey) and Thea (Willa Holland) from Team Arrow, Oliver (Stephen Amell) takes to the streets solo to protect Star City’s citizens as the Green Arrow. With nobody guiding him from the bunker, Oliver is forced to deal with a city that has become overrun with both criminals and a slew of new (and painfully inexperienced) vigilantes. Watching Oliver try to balance his jobs as both the mayor and also the protector of Star City, nobody suggests he form a new team, but Oliver resists. However, when a deadly new criminal, Tobias Church (guest star Chad L. Coleman), enters the picture, Oliver realizes the best thing for the city might be a new team of superheroes. Meanwhile, the flashbacks take us to Russia where Oliver faces off against the Bratva.
arrow-season-5-photos-7.jpg

Joni

What the hell?? So Arrow isn't on CTV this year? Much Music airs it a day late and some channel called PIX has the new episodes on Wednesdays (but not in HD, at least in my cable package). It doesn't look like anyone is carrying Legends of Tomorrow except for PIX.

EDIT: Looks like CTV 2 is carrying all these shows. Which is of course, not a channel I get. FFFFFFFFFF.

Get a better package fast! But yeah, they warned about it a couple of months ago.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If you live anywhere near the American/Canadian border, you should see what kind of antenna reception you can get. Check out http://www.tvfool.com/

It's pretty possible you may be able to tune a CW affiliate.

I know everyone's more excited about The Flash tonight, but I decided to take a bit of a dive into my thoughts on Arrow ahead of the premiere tomorrow.

I don't go over Olicity or anything like that. It's more about the one thing I still find fascinating about the show, and it's about Oliver's 5-year origin story and where I think they went wrong in seasons 3 and 4. And some broad hopes for 5.

I think your interest in the last year "of hell" pretty much tells me that Oliver as a character is actually pretty interesting at the end of the day.

Like despite the missteps the show takes with random unnecessary drama, his character has developed a lot and his flashbacks should have done the same.

KonradLaw

I think your interest in the last year "of hell" pretty much tells me that Oliver as a character is actually pretty interesting at the end of the day.

Like despite the missteps the show takes with random unnecessary drama, his character has developed a lot and his flashbacks should have done the same.

Oliver is what keeps me with this show even in it's weakest moments. To me he's the best lead character in liveaction superhero precisesly because of how dynamic he is in his development.

Thinking about the bratva it would be nice if you saw them for a ep or 2 in the current time.
Him being mayor and them wanting to use him would be a fun ep .
I know he left \cut ties with them but it's not suppose to be that easy lol .

Joni

Thinking about the bratva it would be nice if you saw them for a ep or 2 in the current time.
Him being mayor and them wanting to use him would be a fun ep .
I know he left \cut ties with them but it's not suppose to be that easy lol .

I think there is a chance. We have seen Slade, Katana, Maseo, Alpha and Omega, and the magic thing reappear.

KonradLaw

CW released some sneak peaks from premiere and one of them is do damn good
The awesome shooting arrow while flipping
The beating Anarky easily and the whole roughness of the fight
The arrow through the arm
The return of arrow to the knee

The Hood is back :)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Jeez. The Hood is back indeed.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

I...like this. Fuck it, i'm in.
UsGsKMd.jpg

Joni

Oh fuck; I'll have to wait very late to see the episode tomorrow. That is going to suck.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Fuuuck.

Sober

To be honest I think the show itself is open-ended and could go for 20 seasons if you wanted if the rest was just happy-go-lucky, I've-gotten-over-most-of-my-issues Oliver.

It's just that at times I kinda wished that maybe the show was more explicit about Oliver's actions and motivations. It's so dumb that at times the show is really opaque about what the main character is doing and there's no like Sixth-Sense style twist involved. Like a lot of the time it feels more like he regresses to certain aspects like shirking away help, assigning blame to himself, and pushing away others exists more to create artificial temporary drama amongst everyone rather than really showing he is really a product of his survivorship and it's usually solved by a pep talk or two rather than anything. The flashbacks becoming more milquetoast don't really help his case.

Like if I could do S4 it would maybe be more experimental. Maybe less action-y for a while as maybe Oliver is literally so terrified of Darhk and his magic he has to find other ways to take him down, like run for office, until it reaches a point where he can't stand back and HIVE and the ghosts become too aggressive to not address as the Green Arrow.

Now if this sets the tone for every episode, I'm back in.

Man I dunno if I want in on this again, S4 was shit and I didn't even finish it

I guess I'll watch this sneak peek

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ZeroX03

Banned

Holy shit that was old school Arrow. And the hits had really nice impact. Bambam is quickly becoming a really good director.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Arrow already trending worldwide on Twitter and the episode hasn't even started yet. They thirsty, y'all!

Top Bottom