• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As cashless stores grow, so does the backlash

https://www.apnews.com/98613f20d0254b8bacd908ef12107fef

Cash-free stores are generating a backlash among some activists and liberal-leaning policymakers who say the practice discriminates against people like Figueroa, who either lack bank accounts or rely on cash for many transactions.

The issue got some high-profile attention this week when retail giant Amazon bowed to pressure from activists and agreed to accept cash at more than 30 cashless stores, including its Amazon Go convenience stores, which have no cashiers, and its book shops. Amazon declined to say when the change would happen.

There is no federal law that requires stores to accept cash, so lawmakers are working on the issue at the state and city level.

Earlier this year, Philadelphia became the first city to ban cashless stores, despite efforts by Amazon to dissuade it. New Jersey passed a statewide ban soon after, and a similar ban is working its way through the New York City Council. Before this year there was only one jurisdiction that required businesses to accept cash: Massachusetts, which passed a law nearly 40 years ago.

“The potential societal cost of a cashless economy I think outweighs the potential benefits for businesses,” said Ritchie Torres, a New York City councilman for the South Bronx who introduced the bill.

Policymakers argue that while cashless stores and restaurants aren’t widespread now, the practice could expand to more services, including some that cater to lower-income customers.

Walmart-owned Sam’s Club opened its first cashier-less store in Dallas last year, using technology that allows customers to scan and pay for items with their smartphones. Kroger has installed similar technology in about 400 stores nationwide.

Stadiums in Tampa Bay, Florida, and Atlanta have started to go cashless, or nearly cashless, and the Barclays Center, where the Brooklyn Nets play, is now effectively cashless as well.

Advocates for cashless bans worry technology is moving too fast for the 6.5% of American households — 8.4 million — that do not have a bank account, according to figures from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.

Figueroa is among the much larger group considered “underbanked,” meaning they have a primary bank account but regularly rely on alternative financial services like check cashers. More than 24 million U.S. households are underbanked, according to the FDIC.

The issue disproportionately affects African-American and Hispanic communities. About 17% of African-American and 14% of Hispanic households have no bank accounts, compared to just 3% of white households, according to the FDIC.

Business owners who go cashless say they are following the lead of the majority of customers who are abandoning cash payments. Retailers are under pressure to cater to customers with heightened expectations for fast and seamless service, driven by companies like Amazon, Uber and Grubhub.

I am really surprised there's a backlash to cashless stores. Personally, I haven't carried cash in years. Everything is either debit, credit, or Apple Pay. I get annoyed when I have to deal cash. Why not just use a checking account with a debit card?

neobiz

I am really surprised there's a backlash to cashless stores. Personally, I haven't carried cash in years. Everything is either debit, credit, or Apple Pay. I get annoyed when I have to deal cash. Why not just use a checking account with a debit card?

Annoyed?

Oh no, what am i going to do with all this paper money? Oh that's right spend it anywhere but a cashless store, then I'll use my card.

I don't understand removing physical money when Digital doesn't always work and there are numerous issues that can occur blocking access to your funds. Plus, Paper is actually safer overall.

Then again the average cashier is stupid. You go to McDonalds, Burger King, and others, they have touch screens modeled for 6 year olds and they still can't use it.

n0razi

I mean, cash is legal tender. If I try to pay with cash you needa accept.

AM I WRONG??

what if you just have a $100 bill and they dont have enough change?

I don't understand removing physical money when Digital doesn't always work and there are numerous issues that can occur blocking access to your funds. Plus, Paper is actually safer overall.

Then again the average cashier is stupid. You go to McDonalds, Burger King, and others, they have touch screens modeled for 6 year olds and they still can't use it.

I work in retail management/consulting... digital is way more reliable than paper. I can speak from experience (clients' revenue) that digital saves more money in the long run even with fees and lost customers accounted for simply due to better efficiency and less loss.

Any modern POS software has redundancy and safeguards in place and will work fine even if the internet goes. Obviously you have issues if the power goes out but its not like you will be serving customers anyways if the power is out without any lights, AC/heat, ticket printers, appliances, etc not working.

With cash you are relying on the employee to properly count and handle money and offer a receipt while with digital, everything is accounted for and tracked. The customer doesnt have to keep track of paper receipts as the information is logged digitally and can be easily retrieved.

Cash is also more dangerous/inconvenient. Small business and restaurant theft happens most often in these 2 scenarios:

1. In the morning when the manager is bringing in clean bills/change for the register tills and at night when the manager is dropping off the cash at the bank deposit. The highest incidents of theft happens during this time in the parking lot or back door of the store. With digital, there is no physical cash to steal and you are less of a target. I have not heard of single incident of robbery in a cashless store while it happens all the time in a traditional store.

2. Second most loss comes from within, where the employee steals money from the register or miscounts change. Once again with digital, this is not possible.

Cash is also extremely dirty and in a restaurant you will often see an employee (cashier, waiter, busser) handle money and tips and then immediately handle food being brought out. With digital, your employees do not touch money, all the transaction is usually handled by the customer directly at the POS station.

Last edited:
Annoyed?

Oh no, what am i going to do with all this paper money? Oh that's right spend it anywhere but a cashless store, then I'll use my card.
I'm not angry at cash, but I do find using it a hassle. I can either swipe my card and pay with exact change, or I can pay with cash and end up with a bunch of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. All those coins end up in the cupholder of my car, sitting there until the off-chance I need them for parking. I'm not saying get rid of cash, but I'll almost always choose a card over cash.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Always like having a small amount of cash on me. Doesn't hurt to have. Only time where it was in my favor was when I was at a bar and the power went out. Instead of having to wait for the power to come back on, I was able to pay my tab immediately and leave. Also got a free drink out of it because I was paying cash.

n0razi

Dumb dumb move to not accept cash.

Its one thing to dislike it but financially, its not a dumb move from the business side. Data shows that cashless makes more money in the long run

Same thing with micro transactions in games.... there's a reason everyone is doing it

You have to be able to take legal tender. Period.

neobiz

I'm not angry at cash, but I do find using it a hassle. I can either swipe my card and pay with exact change, or I can pay with cash and end up with a bunch of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. All those coins end up in the cupholder of my car, sitting there until the off-chance I need them for parking. I'm not saying get rid of cash, but I'll almost always choose a card over cash.

Didn't say angry, said annoyed. Hassle? Then don't use it.

Cash creates buying power when doing certain business. Small example is private party auto sales.

*Can't buy weed and pussy with Disney Dollars
*available in select areas

dorkimoe

My work charges 10cents for a like paper drink cup. So now I have to debit card 10 cents. Just annoying in some cases

I mean, cash is legal tender. If I try to pay with cash you needa accept.

AM I WRONG??
There are no federal laws which mandate any business accept any form of payment.

Cash is legal tender but no one is obligated to accept yours if they don't want it.

Paper money is covered by the bacteria and viruses of tens of thousands of people's hands. As with gas station pump handles, the less you touch cash, the healthier you will be.

Last edited:
What really annoys me about cashless places is they usually use those iPad POS systems that always ask for a tip. If you're bringing me my food or whatever, fair enough, but why am I regularly being asked for a tip when I'm ordering a coffee or sandwich or whatever over a counter?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree with the backlash.

Money "should" be accepted at stores. Yes, it includes more hassles and robbery risks for a store, but it is something people carry. Believe it or not, not everyone has a credit card.

And for young people who wouldn't even get approved for a CC, how are they supposed to buy things? Debit cards? Not every place takes debit either.

I'm surprised stores don't want cash, since they don't get dinged on CC or interac fees. Stores are always complaining about profit margins. The more people pay cash, the more you take to the bank.

Last edited:

juliotendo

Of course a lot of establishments want to “ban” cash transactions. When you use plastic, you tend to spend more. Period. Various studies are available online that back this up. Google it.

This has nothing to do because it is “easier” or “safer”. Studies show when purchases are made with plastic you tend to spend more money per transaction.

Although in the US, a large portion of transactions are still made with cash by consumers. Ignoring cash carrying consumers is a dumb movie in my opinion.

Sakura

Why would people be pro cashless? I understand if you don't like paying in cash, but you can still pay with a card even if the store isn't cashless. You're just hurting others by not allowing cash.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why would people be pro cashless? I understand if you don't like paying in cash, but you can still pay with a card even if the store isn't cashless. You're just hurting others by not allowing cash.
Only way I see see the public supporting pro-cashless is the fact it is slower usually paying with cash. You get granny at the grocery store fumbling with bills and coins, whereas paying with a card is pretty consistent in speed of transaction.

And a portion of people owning stores, which might get robbed.

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I actually use cash more than my card. It never really bothered me. I actually try to avoid places that don't take cash. They're always small, local places that I've never heard of and won't leave a huge void in my life if I don't go to them. If they want to limit the ways they make money, good luck, if the market will support them then so be it.

Dark Star

Cash annoys me, the change is unusable. Ain't nobody got time for coins.

I exclusively use coins/change for the value menu items at McDonalds lol. I pull up to the drive-thru, order a few "dollar menu" items and pay with quarters and dimes - it's a good way to get rid of them (besides using those Coinstar machines). I think a "cashless" society is the future for many reasons, and a good one is that CASH AND COINS ARE FILTHY AND DIRTY AND PROBABLY SPREAD DISEASE!

Gandara

I use to be so much better with managing my money by taking out a set amount of cash per week and be mindful of my spending for that week. I use a credit card right now and I couldn't tell you how much I spend. I certainly spend a lot more then I did when I used cash.

I exclusively use coins/change for the value menu items at McDonalds lol. I pull up to the drive-thru, order a few "dollar menu" items and pay with quarters and dimes - it's a good way to get rid of them (besides using those Coinstar machines). I think a "cashless" society is the future for many reasons, and a good one is that CASH AND COINS ARE FILTHY AND DIRTY AND PROBABLY SPREAD DISEASE!

An even better way to get rid of them is to put them in a bank account and pay with a card. Then you never have to deal with them again. Plus they're so dirty and have that metallic stench you can't wash off. I have not seen or used my native country coins in 10+ years. Good riddance.

I use to be so much better with managing my money by taking out a set amount of cash per week and be mindful of my spending for that week. I use a credit card right now and I couldn't tell you how much I spend. I certainly spend a lot more then I did when I used cash.

Get a debit account with a debit card, and the associated phone app to easily check balance. You will become intimate with every cent you spend.

Only one occasion where I will still use cash; when traveling overseas. Can't guarantee plastics will work. Even then I toss coins to bums and onto the ground. US was great in that regard, there was a bum on every corner in every city. Convenient coin bins.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Its one thing to dislike it but financially, its not a dumb move from the business side. Data shows that cashless makes more money in the long run

Same thing with micro transactions in games.... there's a reason everyone is doing it

The data lies then since it is impossible to prove that you're making more money simply due to being cashless. Many other variables involved. You can prove it is more efficient in any number of ways, you can't prove how much business you're losing by not accepting cash.

n0razi

The data lies then since it is impossible to prove that you're making more money simply due to being cashless. Many other variables involved. You can prove it is more efficient in any number of ways, you can't prove how much business you're losing by not accepting cash.

I work in this very industry and you can easily prove it by comparing (profits/revenue) before and after implementing a cashless policy. I have worked with over 20 clients in various markets and all have increased (profits/revenue) within the first year.

Top Bottom