• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ascension: Immortal Heroes World Cup

octobot

Revenge is mine! After that stomp I had in the season I'm glad I got to pull off a victory in the playoffs. One of the few times I went with a heavy attack strategy too.

Good game. I had a bad feeling about the outcome as soon as you picked up that elemental adept. I couldn't get anything going and was playing catchup the whole time.

Code:
Championship
Squirrel_Killer    -  70 -----
                              |-- Squirrel_Killer - __ -----
eznark             -  47 -----                              |
                                                            |--  - __ -----
Heel/[Slade]       -  __ -----                              |              |
                              |-- _______________ - __ -----               |
bonesquad/justjeff -  __ -----                              |
                                                                           |-- 
tm24               - ~70 -----                                             |
                              |-- Got the Shakes  - __ -----               |
Got the Shakes     - ~90 -----                              |              |
                                                            |--  - __ -----
Octobot            -  55 -----                              |
                              |-- mercviper       - __ -----
mercviper          -  63 -----
As always;

Person on the top line of the bracket challenges the person below with the following setup:
-Storm of Souls + Immortal Heroes for decks
-14-Day Time Limit

Winner report results in the following format (ties, both report)
[Winner] [Score] - [Loser] [Score]

bonesquad

I was busy over the weekend and not really able to play. Though I should have just forfeited and saved everyone some time with how that game just went, goddamn... :)

Heel/slade 137 - bonesquad/justjeff 63

Heel

Made a Challonge for the finals bracket to keep up with the board game thread's tournament records. Squirrel, send me your Challonge name if you have one and I'll add you as an editor. Thanks for all your help.

Did we want a 3rd place match?

http://neogafboardgames.challonge.com/ascension_2

neogafboardgames-ascension_2.png

Heel

Yes, I'll want to play a 3rd place match. ;)

lol don't try to jinx me, #1 seed!

Already thinking about the next tournament. Maybe we can borrow the Lost Cities tournament rules where we added up the scores of three games, or do a best of three. That'd take some of the variance of one game out of it. Could seed the top 4 or 8 from this tournament and randomize the rest, something like that.

Are there any infinite loops or scoring exploits in Storm of Souls / Immortal Heroes that would make adding up three scores a bad idea? I know one or two of you are into that kind of thing...lol.

mercviper

Damn, good game. I played my turn before I left for work this morning and was convinced that I was going to come home and see that I lost.

Yeah I felt I had a slight advantage but your last turn was pretty killer. Felt like you picked up ~15 points from that one alone.

I'll let Heel do the honor of posting his pasting of me, but to give you a sneak preview, he had 36 deck honor in just Mechana constructs. I'm pretty sure he had one of each.

Heel

Bq8Bp9cl.jpg

GG Squirrel. That lifebound turn you had towards the end of the game was awesome. Was your whole hand green?

lol yeah a lot of Mechana constructs. I was able to "pay 2 less" and "get a soul gem" early in the game, letting me rack up cheap Mechana points and letting the "pay 2 less" cycle around in my deck to give me a soul gem every few turns.

Didn't manage to find any that let me do anything particularly evil. Mechana can get really scary if you get ahold of cards that let you put constructs back in your hand, back in your discard pile, or search for them in your deck.

Heel

I had to! It felt torture watching your last turn, seemed like it was never going to end.

lol yeah, kicking myself in hindsight because I made a few moves later in the game figuring I was behind more than I was. I bought some high priced cards knowing I was about to shuffle hoping I'd see them again (and didn't). Could've just picked up the cards worth a few more points that were on the table instead.

Also, missed a point killing a 3 cost monster up top instead of two 2 cost ones...d'oh.

Let's play some more. I want revenge! lol

lol yeah, kicking myself in hindsight because I made a few moves later in the game figuring I was behind more than I was. I bought some high priced cards knowing I was about to shuffle hoping I'd see them again (and didn't). Could've just picked up the cards worth a few more points that were on the table instead.

Also, missed a point killing a 3 cost monster up top instead of two 2 cost ones...d'oh.

Let's play some more. I want revenge! lol

I'd love to play some more games, but I am headed out in a few minutes and I won't be back until Sunday evening sometime.

Heel

Did you guys ever do the 3rd place game? I need closure. Maybe Ray was right...lol

Anyone down for another tournament?

Heel

Let's go to the boardgaming thread and brainstorm the next format. I'm guessing most people unsubscribed from the thread.

Let us know when you guys have finished the 3rd place match, we'll need to know for seeding the next tournament.

I just beat you and Got the Shakes, so I'm ready!

Ahhem..um...I'm just building your confidence until it matters...lol.

Group Play Results
Code:
Group Arbiter            GP  W-L  Pts    PD
Heel/[Slade]              5  4-1   12    52
AstroLad                  5  3-2    9    62
Diesel Pioneer / superrob 5  3-2    9    40
gavatron/docwily          5  3-2    9   -19
sladeums                  5  2-3    6   -33
soldat7                   5  0-4    0   -94

Group Burrower           GP  W-L  Pts    PD
Squirrel_Killer           5  4-1   12   101
Got the Shakes            5  4-1   12    12
Brakara                   5  3-2    9    55
blahness                  5  2-3    6   -21
Smiley90                  5  2-3    6   -24
Li Kao                    5  0-5    0  -119

Group Combustion         GP  W-L  Pts    PD
tm24                      5  4-1   12    73
bonesquad/justjeff        5  4-1   12    46
jessecuster3              5  3-2    9   -22
RaySpencer                5  2-3    6     8
LugNut74                  5  2-3    6   -42
Z3R05UM / Gatekeeper      5  0-5    0   -75

Group Druids             GP  W-L  Pts    PD
Octobot                   5  4-1   12    86
Mercviper                 5  4-1   12     0
eznark                    5  3-2    9    26
Roodiculous               4  2-3    6    42
slacker                   5  2-3    6   -39
_LOLduke_/DukeSucks       5  0-5    0  -119

Championship & Play-in Round Seedings
Code:
Group Winners/Runners-up  Grp  GP  W-L  Pts    PD
Squirrel_Killer           Bur   5  4-1   12   101
Octobot                   Dru   5  4-1   12    86
tm24                      Com   5  4-1   12    73
Heel/[Slade]              Arb   5  4-1   12    52
bonesquad/justjeff        Com   5  4-1   12    46
Got the Shakes            Bur   5  4-1   12    12
Mercviper                 Dru   5  4-1   12     0
AstroLad                  Arb   5  3-2    9    62

Group Third Place finishers  Grp  GP  W-L  Pts    PD
Brakara                      Bur   5  3-2    9    55
Diesel Pioneer / superrob    Arb   5  3-2    9    40
eznark                       Dru   5  3-2    9    26
jessecuster3                 Com   5  3-2    9   -22

Third Place Play-in
Code:
Brakara      - 77 -----
                       |-- Brakara - 52 -----
jessecuster3 - 73 -----                      |
                                             |-- eznark   - 91 -----
superrobot   - 69 -----                      |                      |
                       |-- eznark  - 69 -----                       |
eznark       - 97 -----                                             |-- eznark
                                                                    |
                                                                    |
                                                 AstroLad - 69 -----

Championship
Code:
Squirrel_Killer    -  70 -----
                              |-- Squirrel_Killer - 83 -----
eznark             -  47 -----                              |
                                                            |-- Heel/[Slade]   - 72 -----
Heel/[Slade]       - 137 -----                              |                            |
                              |-- Heel/[Slade]    - 96 -----                             |
bonesquad/justjeff -  63 -----                                                           |
                                                                                         |-- 1st - Got the Shakes
tm24               - ~70 -----                                                           |   --------------------
                              |-- Got the Shakes  - __ -----                             |   2nd - Heel/[Slade]
Got the Shakes     - ~90 -----                              |                            |
                                                            |-- Got the Shakes - 75 -----
Octobot            -  55 -----                              |
                              |-- mercviper       - __ -----
mercviper          -  63 -----

Third/Fourth Consolation Game

Squirrel_Killer -  97 ----- 
                                                                                           |-- 3rd - Squirrel_Killer
                                                                mercviper       -  80 -----    ---------------------
                                                                                               4th - mercviper

Top Bottom