• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian games on pc 90s-00s

old-parts

A huge amount but not localized for western markets.

You needed the Japanese version of Windows 95/98 to play almost all of the games that were released, they wont work on anything else and can be very troublesome even in a VM.

Taiwan and Korea also adopted the IBM PC unlike Japan so there are a lot of MS-DOS games made by those two countries that the west doesn't know about.

China didn't start making PC games till the mid 90's onwards, again due to the barriers it's real hard to know about them.

A good resource for listing the above is Old-Games ru the Russians are the one of the best in categorizing and listing unknown games, you can filter by country as well.

Toots

Gold Member
OP wants to complete his dos hentai game collection
Think About It GIF by Identity

Toots

Gold Member
No i am interested in rpg, action, strategy games.What was interesting for pc in those times.
Me and you both OP, i never even played Tomb Raider's nude mod or Duke Nukem's xrated version during my time as a PC gamer.
Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

(seriously tho you might want to check wikipedias page about video games in Japan you'll find plenty of stuff, if you care to read it)

_Ex_

No i am interested in rpg, action, strategy games.What was interesting for pc in those times.

Japanese PC gaming of the 90s and early 00s... it is a vast and deep rabbit hole. Most of it is still not available in English. A good many that are in English are only playable that way by using fan translation patches. Most games were not on western PCs, but rather Japanese PCs like the PC-88, PC-98, FM Towns, and X68000. In the 2000s you start to see more Windows based Japanese games. There is no one good resource to learn about any of this.* You will have to manually scour internet resources to slowly unravel the breadth of what's available. There are certainly gems to discover. Here are some older Japanese PC games that I beat and enjoyed since 2013 (as far back as my HLTB goes):

Aquales
Lightning Warrior Raidy
Lightning Warrior Raidy II: Temple of Desire
Malaya's Treasure
Night Slave
Rusty
The Scheme
Xanadu Next
Ys Origin
Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection

HG101 has some decent reading:

The best forum to get this kind of information from:

Celine

It's not exactly OP request but for the ones that would like to try to explore japanese computer games from the '80s and '90s on console there is the EGGCONSOLE line for Switch:

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
OP wants to complete his dos hentai game collection
Think About It GIF by Identity
This reminds me of the time in 5th grade when I discovered roms and emulation, and I burned a gigantic downloaded collection of NES/SNES roms for everyone in my class.

About a week later someone found out there were two random hentai games for the SNES on it. That was pretty embarrassing. 😂

Top Bottom