• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Deimo5

I want to know why you *still* can't crouch/stealth walk in the AC series. Like, seriously? I'm being all sneaky, knocking dudes out, ducking in the grass and then... hey! let me just saunter normally around for a bit! Ok now back to being sneaky... Bleh.

Wish you could toggle "stealth mode" or something.

It's about 'social stealth' or something, thats what Ubi says I think.

phierce

can anyone on ps4 PLEASE try to go into multiplayer and tell me if it works. I have been trying to get in for literally the last three hours to no avail. I have seen absolutely nobody talking about it online, im thinking its just me.
It worked fine for me a few hours ago.

Barzul

Black Flag makes me realise I'd love to play a more fleshed out pirate/sailing simulator. Didn't realise how much I'd like naval combat.

O.DOGG

Black Flag makes me realise I'd love to play a more fleshed out pirate/sailing simulator. Didn't realise how much I'd like naval combat.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'd love to play a pirate game without the assassin BS getting in the way. Still, as it stands, this is perhaps the best pirate game there is.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Crosspost sorta:

If I loved AC1 and kinda liked the first parts of AC2, but then felt it was too linear for me in comparison to 1 (like, straight up go-to-A-then-B-then-C gameplay, quest after quest, no thinking/planning for assassinations etc) and didn't even play the following parts because of that - would you say I'd like IV?

I only heard good about it, but nothing at all regarding being taken by the hand or actual assassinations and assassination "preperation"/hint collecting.

Barzul

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'd love to play a pirate game without the assassin BS getting in the way. Still, as it stands, this is perhaps the best pirate game there is.

Yeah can't think of any game that has come this close to capturing the pirate setting which is odd as it has a lot of potential. Ubisoft might be onto something here, can see a spinoff series working out great especially since they won't have current gen consoles holding them back.

Barzul

Crosspost sorta:

If I loved AC1 and kinda liked the first parts of AC2, but then felt it was too linear for me in comparison to 1 (like, straight up go-to-A-then-B-then-C gameplay, quest after quest, no thinking/planning for assassinations etc) and didn't even play the following parts because of that - would you say I'd like IV?

I only heard good about it, but nothing at all regarding being taken by the hand or actual assassinations and assassination "preperation"/hint collecting.

Well playing stealthily is actually viable now, and the blowdart is a great addition. The great part of this game is that sometimes I don't even feel like I'm playing an Assasin's Creed game, the pirate stuff is really well done. It's a lot less linear than any other Assasin's Creed game I've played. Mind you my last one was Brotherhood.

Chris_C

I want to know why you *still* can't crouch/stealth walk in the AC series. Like, seriously? I'm being all sneaky, knocking dudes out, ducking in the grass and then... hey! let me just saunter normally around for a bit! Ok now back to being sneaky... Bleh.

Wish you could toggle "stealth mode" or something.

Agreed, a low profile crouch would be very welcome. Something like the "swoop" in thief. Sometimes you want to get from bush to bush, and the only thing you can do at the moment is race across like a super non-stealthy person.

However, I have to say I'm supremely impressed with this game. I'd completely written of the series after AC3, but I find this game very fun.

It helps that the environments are mostly large and open, so the shortcomings of the control scheme are masked, but in general, it's just a lot more fun.

kaskade

I have to say I am really enjoying this and it'll probably sneak into my GOTY list. Mechanically it's still has some of the assassins creed problems but the world is so awesome and it's so fun being a pirate. Sailing the ocean is fun, little things like just being able to drop anchor in the middle of it an walk around the ship is great. After that head to some random island and collect pointless things. But if a game makes me want to collect pointless things it's doing something right. It's kind of funny how I somewhat wrote this game off in the beginning but it's way better than 3. Plus it looks gorgeous on the PS4.

Question: I got the Target edition of AC4. I redeemed my codes, but I don't see anything in-game available to me. Where should I be looking?

Also, add me on PSN. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but I'm loving the SP so far. ID is RJN. Just put GAF in the Req.

This game is making me long immensely for a Master and Commander sequel.

I agree with all these comments. Remember when Bethesda Softworks published Sea Dogs back in the 2000's?

Also, the "lowlands away" shanty is very nice.

Irish

What does it means when there's a wifi signal strength icon in the bottom left of the mini-map?

It is a connection status for internet stuff, just as you would think. If it's lit up, you will receive those social updates for chests, convoys, and white whales.

JayDub

I've never played any of the other AC games, can I jump into this? The reviews and impressions convinced me, I need this game.

MazeHaze

Banned
Has anybody else noticed some wrong button prompts on PS4? There have been a few times when it tells me to press triangle to do something, but I think it really meant to say R2. Sort of confusing.

Irish

Has anybody else noticed some wrong button prompts on PS4? There have been a few times when it tells me to press triangle to do something, but I think it really meant to say R2. Sort of confusing.

Shooting the Swivel Gun is done with Triangle and you can shoot your actual guns with either R2 or Triangle. Where exactly were you seeing these button prompts? Triangle is the one you will often see when out at sea due to the mines and weak spots on a ship.

Setsuna

fleet battles are the most tacked on game mode i have ever seen it is so detached from the actual game not to mention its impossible to lose

MazeHaze

Banned
Shooting the Swivel Gun is done with Triangle and you can shoot your actual guns with either R2 or Triangle. Where exactly were you seeing these button prompts? Triangle is the one you will often see when out at sea due to the mines and weak spots on a ship.

I'm talking about on land mostly. Like when you first get the gun and you shoot the little dummies, it says "press triangle to immediately shoot the highlighted targets" or something like that. There was another similar situation I encountered the other day, but I don't quite remember what it was. Might have been for the blowgun.

Kazerei

Banned
I've never played any of the other AC games, can I jump into this? The reviews and impressions convinced me, I need this game.

ACIV is not a bad place to jump into the series, actually, since it features new protagonists and a new setting. But you might be kinda lost without some background info on the series.

Here's what you should know. Assassins and Templars are two factions that have been secretly fighting each other for centuries, and are still fighting in the present day. Assassins pursue freedom, Templars pursue order. They're basically like Chaos and Law.

The Animus is a machine, created by a company called Abstergo, that lets you relive the memories of a person's ancestor. In ACIV, you play as an Abstergo employee who's job is to hop in the Animus and experience the life of Edward Kenway, an 18th century pirate, for research purposes.

Oh, and there's also the Precursors, a highly advanced ancient civilization that went extinct due to some catastrophe, but they left behind special temples and artifacts with mysterious powers and such. You're probably familiar with the trope.

If the story doesn't make any sense, don't worry, it's not like you're missing out on a great story or anything. The present-day storyline especially is a mess.

/repost

JayDub

ACIV is not a bad place to jump into the series, actually, since it features new protagonists and a new setting. But you might be kinda lost without some background info on the series.

Here's what you should know. Assassins and Templars are two factions that have been secretly fighting each other for centuries, and are still fighting in the present day. Assassins pursue freedom, Templars pursue order. They're basically like Chaos and Law.

The Animus is a machine, created by a company called Abstergo, that lets you relive the memories of a person's ancestor. In ACIV, you play as an Abstergo employee who's job is to hop in the Animus and experience the life of Edward Kenway, an 18th century pirate, for research purposes.

Oh, and there's also the Precursors, a highly advanced ancient civilization that went extinct due to some catastrophe, but they left behind special temples and artifacts with mysterious powers and such. You're probably familiar with the trope.

If the story doesn't make any sense, don't worry, it's not like you're missing out on a great story or anything. The present-day storyline especially is a mess.

/repost

You effin rock! Thank you!

Derrick01

Banned
If I got bored quickly with AC2, will this do the same? I also thought some of the movement mechanics were not fluid enough in that game.

They only added more junk elements and collectibles to the series instead of proper balance, challenge and depth so I don't think you'll like it more than 2.

Tenrius

If I got bored quickly with AC2, will this do the same? I also thought some of the movement mechanics were not fluid enough in that game.

I was in the same place and I ended up liking ACIV quite a bit. What I didn't like about ACII is how you always essentially did the same thing: traversing an urban environment while doing something. Here it's somewhat more diverse and this, coupled with the pure excellency of the naval portion of the game, actually works really well.

Irish

I'm talking about on land mostly. Like when you first get the gun and you shoot the little dummies, it says "press triangle to immediately shoot the highlighted targets" or something like that. There was another similar situation I encountered the other day, but I don't quite remember what it was. Might have been for the blowgun.

Yeah, Triangle is essentially the quickshot button with all ranged weapons. If a person has like a white shimmer around them, you will autotarget them when you shoot. L2 brings up the actual aiming reticule where you use R2 to fire.

_

I couldn't really bear to use anything other than Kenway's normal robes. They just looked to great in my eyes.

Am I the only one who thinks ship battles are less tactical and realistic than they were in Assassin's Creed 3? I miss being able to choose between cannon, grapeshot, chainshot and hotshot. I thought maybe later in the game you would be able to but I believe I'm halfway through and the choice does not seem to be present.

Ship battles consist of machine gunning ship's flanks with 2-second reloading cannons and then spamming swivel guns at weak-spots. There are no tactics for the ship combat here. The chainshot you do get seem to be only your forward cannons, and they seem to explode on contact with sails which I find hilariously silly.

I feel like a few minor tweaks could have made this a much better game.

Skyr

Wow so pretty much everyone is placing this game highly above ac3 which i thought was a pretty great game, at least for me.
It blows my mind and makes me so much more excited to finally play it.
Friday is da day.

beatnik11

Neo Member
I have came to the conclusion that AC4 is hands down the best AC game in the franchise in my opinion. An awesome setting, a main character that is likable, and a much better premise for the modern day crap (although I am expecting for them to ruin it all eventually with). Mostly there is no Desmond, or at least the stuff you do encounter is as far as I am is limited because that was always the shit that dragged down the games.

Overall though this game is just flat out fun which is refreshing compared to how drab and dull AC3 was

Am I the only one who thinks ship battles are less tactical and realistic than they were in Assassin's Creed 3? I miss being able to choose between cannon, grapeshot, chainshot and hotshot. I thought maybe later in the game you would be able to but I believe I'm halfway through and the choice does not seem to be present.

Ship battles consist of machine gunning ship's flanks with 2-second reloading cannons and then spamming swivel guns at weak-spots. There are no tactics for the ship combat here. The chainshot you do get seem to be only your forward cannons, and they seem to explode on contact with sails which I find hilariously silly.

Que? You choose which guns to use with the camera view. Forward is chainshot, side aim is regular round shot, side unaimed is a power scatter shot, rear is fire barrels, and L1 is Mortars. Once you start fighting big ships, there is very definitely strategy involved. (also, ramming)

You can't just slide up next to a Man o War and exchange cannon shots, for example. I have everything but elite upgrades for my Jackdaw, and I've gone after one or two Legendary ships and had a hard time outgunning them. You really do have to play around with strategy.

sangreal

Nope, I said the same thing a few pages back. The ships are really dumbed down compared to 3. Wind barely even matters

I just encountered the weirdest glitch I've ever seen in a game. Or maybe not, but at least one of the funniest.

I was on-board the Jackdaw, and decided to fast travel to Tulum. The game loads, and I'm ashore, but when I turn around I notice there's a hole in the sea where the Jackdaw is supposed to be. I swim out, and as I reach the void, it fills with white water around me. When I swim back to the shore, it empties again.

Tempting fate, I walk up to the little rowboat and press B to return to the Jackdaw. I spawn inside the hole, invisible, and several screaming crewmembers spawn around me. The sea fills the hole up again, and the crewmembers drown.

Something is terribly weird with my controls, and I manage to get to the shore, but then I can't move, just look around. As I do that, I notice the drowned crewmembers rising into heaven, one by one, like some macabre Rapture for pirates. One by one, they all ascend to heaven and wink out of existence.

Fast traveling to Tulum again fixed it, but damn, it was hilarious. I recorded it, but I reached my bandwith limit so it'll have to wait until next week to upload.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just encountered the weirdest glitch I've ever seen in a game. Or maybe not, but at least one of the funniest.

I was on-board the Jackdaw, and decided to fast travel to Tulum. The game loads, and I'm ashore, but when I turn around I notice there's a hole in the sea where the Jackdaw is supposed to be. I swim out, and as I reach the void, it fills with white water around me. When I swim back to the shore, it empties again.

Tempting fate, I walk up to the little rowboat and press B to return to the Jackdaw. I spawn inside the hole, invisible, and several screaming crewmembers spawn around me. The sea fills the hole up again, and the crewmembers drown.

Something is terribly weird with my controls, and I manage to get to the shore, but then I can't move, just look around. As I do that, I notice the drowned crewmembers rising into heaven, one by one, like some macabre Rapture for pirates. One by one, they all ascend to heaven and wink out of existence.

Fast traveling to Tulum again fixed it, but damn, it was hilarious. I recorded it, but I reached my bandwith limit so it'll have to wait until next week to upload.

This same bug I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQ_ZozZIio

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

If you forget to upload this next week I'll probably visit to slap you.

Edit: Okay, you are free from slapping now. Good for you.

15915072276811218944_65xx9.png

Best I can do for now. :lol

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Still so much fun. AC4 has become my go to Vita remote play while i'm work to pass time game. Still fun even after the story is finished.

I will say tho - the fact that this is cross gen shines through in a few places and that coupled with Ubi's sometimes ridiculous QA oversights makes for some silly shit on the screen now and then.
My favorite - some side quest spoiler stuff here:
When you unlock all the Mayan ruin puzzles you get the "Mayan Armor" outfit that looks Boss. As. Fuck. but it is definitely NOT an assassin's outfit. It's a lot like the Templar outfit in that it has no hood, high collar and no real jacket or cloak to speak of. I unlocked all that shit as soon as it was available (directly after the "Observitory" mission) meaning i had a good couple of hours of gameplay between me and the endgame. Every single time you go to do those side missions or - god forbid - the assassination contracts he reaches up and pulls a hood up over his head... A hood that doesn't fucking exist.
It's one of those things that you chuckle about the first time you see it and maybe think about pointing and laughing about on youtube but then you see it 7 or 8 times and it just pisses me off. I don't understand why they didn't model a crazy awesome Mayan/Precurser race helmet to go with the suit. Would have been great.

Tenrius

That forced stealth section in Tulum is really tedious.

I need to reiterate this statement: this particular section is GODAWFUL, it's just the absolute dullest section of the game so far. I've been replaying the same damn checkpoint for about 40 minutes now. God damn.

Still so much fun. AC4 has become my go to Vita remote play while i'm work to pass time game. Still fun even after the story is finished.

I will say tho - the fact that this is cross gen shines through in a few places and that coupled with Ubi's sometimes ridiculous QA oversights makes for some silly shit on the screen now and then.
My favorite - some side quest spoiler stuff here:
When you unlock all the Mayan ruin puzzles you get the "Mayan Armor" outfit that looks Boss. As. Fuck. but it is definitely NOT an assassin's outfit. It's a lot like the Templar outfit in that it has no hood, high collar and no real jacket or cloak to speak of. I unlocked all that shit as soon as it was available (directly after the "Observitory" mission) meaning i had a good couple of hours of gameplay between me and the endgame. Every single time you go to do those side missions or - god forbid - the assassination contracts he reaches up and pulls a hood up over his head... A hood that doesn't fucking exist.
It's one of those things that you chuckle about the first time you see it and maybe think about pointing and laughing about on youtube but then you see it 7 or 8 times and it just pisses me off. I don't understand why they didn't model a crazy awesome Mayan/Precurser race helmet to go with the suit. Would have been great.

Happens with a lot of outfits actually. It's really bothersome.

I need to reiterate this statement: this particular section is GODAWFUL, it's just the absolute dullest section of the game so far. I've been replaying the same damn checkpoint for about 40 minutes now. God damn.

Let me guess, it's the one with the crocodile in the middle and the guards on the cliff on the left.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hi guys, I just started AC4 and I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help answer.

1. I'm nearing the end of sequence 2. When can I fast travel back to the starting island to grab all the chests/stuff I missed? I can't seem to find it on the gigantic map.

2. Does completing optional objectives do anything besides give me more memory sync? Does memory sync do something eventually besides unlock trophies?

Thanks.

UrbanRats

I wonder if they'll ever reboot the assassin's design, to the point where they don't have to load him/her with 50 weapons, 40 gadgets, 10 cloaks, 30 belts, 200kg of armor and a hood.
For someone who should be ninja-like, it always looks so cumbersome and over designed.

You know who looked light and agile? The fucking prince of Persia (non-2008 edition).
While we're at it, a long sword is not the ideal weapon to give a sense of agility, wither.
A dagger or just the hidden blade would do much better in my opinion.

Top Bottom